Spell-generated monster strength?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daecon
Expert

Spell-generated monster strength?

Post by Daecon »

If I have a spell that creates a Screamer, will the power of the spell influence the stats of the monster?
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Re: Spell-generated monster strength?

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

I think it will only influence its health, not how hard they can hit for example.
There are already some monsters that can be created by spells in DMII, you can test it out with them. Best way to learn is to test...

Anyway, apart from what the spell power actually changes (so its health, I think) you can actually define by yourself the monsters you want to create according to the power of the spell. You'll need some relays and all, but it will work. My guess is:
- Set your spell to an "activate" action, with a relay as object. I'm 100% sure that it will transmit the spell power.
- The relay activates a counter and a array of relays.
- Each of these relays creates the monster you want to create (with predefined attack power for example), depending on the value of the counter (the higher the counter, the stronger the monster).
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Oh cool. Thanks, I'll have to do some playing around.
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Wow... Nice Igor!

Does the power of the spell directly influence the counter value via the relay, or is there something else you need to do?
I had a similar problem a while back (not monster related though), but couldn't get the engine to differentiate between Lo - Mon.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Igor Poulpupov
Artisan

Post by Igor Poulpupov »

My explanations were lacking precision. Here is a test dungeon (source+RTC file) in which the YA EW DAIN (runes 1 2 3 afer casting the power rune) spell can cast 5 different (aggressive) monsters according to the spell power: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bn8k5 ... onster.zip

I had to create the new spell, a unique relay and a unique counter, everything else appears on level 0.

I's the COUNTER SET action (set at 0) that transmits the power of the spell.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Just had a look.... Nice one Igor!

Thought the spell power had to have some kind of value, but didn't know what it was, and didn't realise this value would be recognised by relays/counters. My problem was similar, in that i wanted the same spell to do different things depending on the strength.

Thanks....
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Yeah, have to create the spell levels manually, -1 does not work, but once you make one then all is needed is a relay to check which object\monster you're dealing with, so they can all use the same one for all spell power unless you require it to be different. Sophia has an example of it somewhere.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

My thing was that i had a spell that i wanted to display a different bitmap depending on the power. I haven't used it in a dungeon yet. One for the future maybe!
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Should be able to do that, I know spell power changes the size of a fireball, so it should be possible to do. This is another area that needs some exploring.
keep your gor coin handy