Dungeon Master Currency

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Dungeon Master Currency

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

What would be the standard base value for currency for Dungeon Master?, would it be copper? Should it be a new name? The bank needs a currency and I'm not sure what the currency should be. Copper seems easy enough it just seems weird when they price out the trade with it.
That will be 50 copper, does that sound right?
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: Dungeon Master Currency

Post by Jan »

1 Gor = 1 Sar = 6 Golds = 24 Silvers = 144 Coppers? The base is One Gor of Chaos (1 GCH). At this moment, 1 GCH = 78.452 USD (mean value) :wink: .
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Nice... Base 10 is so last season!
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Right now it is set as a multiple of 4 with copper being 1, = 1, 4, 16, 64, 256, 1024... do we need to add tax too, currency exchange, how about counterfeit, thanks for the help, lol.
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

In traditional systems, numbers like 6 or 12 or 60 or so are more practical because they can be divided by both 2 and 3. The old systems (like the imperial and others) were more practical for everyday use (when you had no calculators or anything) than the decimal. Just think about it for a moment - 12 is much more practical than 10 because 10 can only be divided by 2 and 5 whereas 12 by 2, 3, 4 and 6. 10 is absolutely useless because it cannot be divided into thirds or quarters. I hadn't spent much time thinking about my original proposal of course and I'm not saying it's ingenious, but if you thing about it carefully you'll find that it's not as random as it seems.
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

On a related note, i once read a book that stated that the Babylonians used Base 60... which at first sounds terribly complicated, but in keeping with Jan's comment, is hugely divisible (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, 12, 15, 20, 30).

Not suggesting you use it by the way... Just an interesting little fact.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Indeed. To give you another example from my field of study. Ca in 1820 - 1840 there were produced absolutely magnificent maps of the so-called "Stable cadastre" in the Austrian part of the Austrian-Hungarian monarchy. These were extremely detailed maps in a curious scale 1:2,880. My students are always amazed and thinking that the cartographers had to be crazy. But the point is that these were cadastral maps used to determine areas of land plots (e.g. fields) for the purposes of taxation. And in this scale, one inch square on the map represents one Lower-Austrian "morgen" ("jitro" - "morning") in reality. One "morning" = 1,600 "reaches" square (i.e. 40 x 40 "reaches"), one "reach" = six "shoes" and one "shoe" = twelve "inches" - so 40 x 6 x 12 = 2,880. So to determine an area from a map, you only had to overlay the map with a semi-transparent paper with an inch-grid, you counted the squares and directly got the area in "morgens" without any further calculations, send the tax bill, and Bob's your uncle. :D
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Interesting enough. Was looking for what name should the currency be, the current values are ok, so instead of the dollar, euro whatever, what is a good DM name, how about pinkles, or tidbits or some other name. How about gorks, or zugs or whatever, any ideas?
keep your gor coin handy
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I'd go for Gorks. Gors would be more DM-ish but Gorks are easier to pronounce.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

That will be 50 gorks please, hmmm, it's how the name was thought up but in the dungeon the gor coin is what resurrects a character from bones, it is given to the vexirk priest which is payment to cross the river of styx. It's a good name, any other names that would match DM currency?
keep your gor coin handy
Leslie
Adept

Post by Leslie »

I would call the currency ROS, like the rune for thieves and traders. Or maybe EWROS, since the thought of trade was put into the form of a coin.
What are the bells that never ring? Enchanting smell, beautiful thing.
What are the lions that never roar? The wind blows their children far over the shore.
What are the gloves not worn by the hand? But worn by the foxes throughout the land.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

You say thieves and traders but what of the fighter, the mage and the healer. Currency is law of trade to all, today's bitcoin. Do you think bitcoin would do :wink:
keep your gor coin handy