Specific Attack to Damage Specific Monster

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Specific Attack to Damage Specific Monster

Post by Ian Clark »

Hello everyone, hope you're all well. Long time no post!

I'm currently playing around with the RTC editor and I'm trying to come up with a puzzle whereby I have a "boss" type monster that can only be damaged by a specific attack attached to a specific weapon i.e. a Demon who can only be damaged by a "Banish" attack by a certain staff.

I attempted to create this by cloning a relay activated by the attack then in turn having it activate a damage mechanic on the same square as the demon but this posed several problems. Firstly, the demon had to be on that specific tile and secondly, I could use the "Banish" attack anywhere I wanted and if the demon was on the tile he would die even if the party was in a completely different part of the dungeon.

Can this be done? Anyone?
Saumun
High Lord

Re: Specific Attack to Damage Specific Monster

Post by Saumun »

I’m not sure of the finer details of what you want.
Is banish a visible spell that has to hit the demon, or does it kill it just by casting it in it’s vicinity?

The second is easier. Make sure the demon is a unique clone. Make a unique counter and set it for any arbitrary number, say 2. Make actions for ‘set counter 2’ and ‘set counter 1’. When the player enters the vicinity of the demon, place a trigger to activate ‘set counter 1’. Place a trigger to ‘set counter 2’ in the place where you leave the demon’s place.
Have the spell target a specific relay, and make conditions in it that if that counter equals 1 (ie, when you’ve entered the demon’s vicinity), target an action that global swaps the demon for DUNGEON_CLOUD_MONSTER.
If the counter is at 2 (ie, before you came into the demon’s vicinity) nothing will happen.

The first way can be done, but it’s more complicated. Let me know if this is what you want.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

Thanks, I will try that out, I was also thinking of some sort of Melee attack method that has to be actioned when you are standing directly in front of the monster so effectively I would like to know how to do the first method
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Is the area with the demon large?
If not, you could just use triggers.
Clone a spell (object) and a cloud. Better to clone, say, pull or push (because if you clone a fireball, it will still act as one). Take out all the bitmaps for both the spell and the cloud. Attach your no bitmap cloud to the spell under the ‘convert’ tab.
Place two triggers on a square. Have the first operated by the demon, with ‘constant weight’ ticked, and activating the second trigger. Have the second trigger as ‘inactive’ and operated by the no bitmap cloud. Check the ‘over trigger only’ box. Then have that trigger activate whatever you want it to do (can flick damage squares on and off quickly, or swapping the demon for a death cloud via an action is easier).
Make a ‘banish’ attack method that casts your cloned spell.

So... the ‘banish’ spell will hit the demon and become the cloud (but you won’t see any of it because you’ve taken out all the bitmaps) and do whatever you want to do. The trigger that does this will only be active if the demon is stood there, so any triggers where the demon is not stood will do nothing even if the spell explodes on them.

Cut and paste the triggers as you see fit.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Food for thought Ian. Saumun had it right. You could give the monster a cloned attack that sets a counter value which can be checked when you use the weapon. If true the attack will take place, if false then nothing will happen, perhaps a message instead. It is a part of the AI that I have been playing with. Using the monster's attack to give a value can change the way how everything works. Let the monster set the value and use a relay to check the attack, when it does occur you can reset that counter once again after killing it if you like. You can use this with every monster, each time it checks that value and therefore can change the type of attack and what damage it will do. That means you only need to use one attack (RTC only allows just over a 100 attacks). To circumvent that you will need to use a counter.
Happy to see you again Ian.
keep your gor coin handy