Weapon Charge for custom attack methods

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Saumun
High Lord

Weapon Charge for custom attack methods

Post by Saumun »

After years of tinkering, I can't believe I have never noticed this... but the charge system doesn't seem to work for custom attack methods (at least not the ones I have tried). The weapon never swaps to its "empty" version.
Does anyone know why this is? Deliberate or bug?

It doesn't matter too much, as it's easy to work around it with counters and swaps... but annoying to have to add more objects to get it done.
“Grynix Ernum Quey Ki Skebow Rednim U Os Dey Wefna Enocarn Aquantana” - Anon
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Weapon Charge for custom attack methods

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I never noticed that either, I'll try it right now, okay, do you mean a cloned version of the weapon, or a custom attack for the cloned version? Yes, it is a bug. I tried all three attack slots, three different new attacks, it is a bug. Maybe if you cloned the empty version too, that might work. Nope it did not, BUT I did get it to work Saumun :wink: 8) . I cloned the staff and the used xx one, created a new attack, replaced the spell and yes, it works. I could put in the left hand a dagger, put in other hand the staff, replaced the spell and put that into the third slot, hit it and the dagger was thrown and the count went from 1 to zero, gong went off and the staffxx was now in hand with only the first slot swing attack available. It can be done, a little tricky, it uses up an attack which there are only just over a hundred available which means if you have a lot of new weapons that have charges you'll also need to use a counter so as not to use more attacks. It works though, spent a bloody half hour screwing with it to figure the thing out, always fun figuring stuff out. Hope this helps ya big fella, make us a fantastic dungeon!!!!!
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Yeah, cloned weapons with the existing attack methods are fine. It's just when you use a cloned attack method.
I got around it with counters and swaps.
Didn't take too long, but just a little annoying that it cost more objects added to the count.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

If you replace the attack method it does work, I used a new attack, it is a brand new attack method, I relabeled it FIRE SHIELDD with the extra D as you can see. You can use a new attack, if you like I can send you an example of it. I used the action throw dagger with it, that's all, the attack method itself is labeled as new attack in the attack menu, you can do it Saumun. I created a new attack by cloning the FIRE SHIELD attack and called it FIRE SHIELDD, and the action of the newly created attack was SHOOT DAGGER, but this can be anything you want. Let me know if you need the example, no problems, for you, anything. You can do it your way too, but this way shows a newly created attack will still make the USE part of the weapons convert to xx work, it does work.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

I've realised what the problem is.
The new attack methods I created were not directly actioned spells... they were activating relay sets.
It seems that if the method is directly creating a spell or object, the charge value works fine. Otherwise not.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Not so Saumun, I used the cloned attack spell (a new attack) to activate a cloned relay called SUMMON ALL MONSTERS which summoned all monsters, this is not an in the game ACTION. The charge went from 1 to zero and replaced it with the cloned xx staff. Do you want me to send you the example, anything to help you Saumun if I can.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

okay Saumun, I know what the problem is, after trying the same thing with a new attack it did not work! BUT, what wasn't done was the charges setting in the attack menu, create your attack special name, then make sure the charges in that attack match the charges that your weapon has been assigned, it works. Had no problems with it, make sure the charges match. If it is 15, then in the attack menu make sure the charges also reads 15.
keep your gor coin handy
Saumun
High Lord

Post by Saumun »

Aaaaaah... D'oh!
Nice catch CS. I never used it before, but can't believe I missed that.
I can get rid a few unnecessary counters and relays now.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

WONDERFUL! I never used it either so would have missed it just the same. It was because you made it an interest to know why??? that resolved this challenge. I got lucky with a guess at 1 charge that somehow worked, then I read its ref to display its own charges. Not sure why 1 worked but it sparked the thought knowing that when changing charge values that are set in the load must match the item in the dungeon, if it says 15 and the attack says 0 it doesn't work, both must match. I applied that same thinking to the attack menu since that option is available, worked.
keep your gor coin handy