DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Post by ian_scho »

The above doesn't happen in D&D, you could never roll a die with enough faces :) "It's a nat 20,000!"
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

All I can say to that is: "Let's see ya do it again..." :P LOL

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

The human body is amazingly resiliant. Now, if that was a half orc it wouldbe the daihatsu that went flying.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Dude, that picture happens all the time. You just don't notice the vial of Cure Serious Wounds around the guy's neck he faceplanted in to!

And besides, you rolled a d10 and a d20 and managed to pickpocket a flask into someone's backpack infront of like six soldiers :D (that was only a 1 in 300 chance apparently :) )
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I double posted with raixel. Agreed, one gif of a truck bouncing the other way is needed!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, got a little tied up this weekend! Will update at some point early this evening. I think you guys might guess what happens next...

Well, at least two of you have guessed what happens next.

For 'Team Trolin', just waiting for OB to post, though cool to see LB is stoking some egos already, looks like you guys really will have a
Spoiler
LOYAL TROLIN ARMY TO COMMAND! WOOHOO!

I'll update for money at least tonight. Umm, money the player, not saying I'm being brided :p
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Just a (somewhat large) idea/request...
Once this game is played to its conclusion, would someone have the motivation to go through and "stitch it together" into a single text document? It'd make for an interesting read. My missus especially would love to read such a story. It's simply too long, for her to get motivated into trying to read, in its current form. I would also enjoy reading it... as I'm sure we all would. It'd be like "Look! That's my speech!" :P

Just a thought...

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I might save it offsite to ensure it stays, however the sub-parts and the timing of them might make it hard....

Lol, I'm concentrating on getting to the end. Once it's over, I might do something like that. However, it's quite the monster to re-write in to a coherent narrative....
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I wasn't meaning straight away... and, it's a huge job. That's exactly why I don't want to be the poor one to do it :P
If you could put the effort in, it'd be much appreciated.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm sure it would, but sadly there is already at least one such transcription job sitting not done from elsewhere :( We shall see!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I've tried searching for "Screen scrape phpBB" and couldn't come up with anything. I'm really surprised that someone hasn't done it already!
raixel

Post by raixel »

I'll do it. I'm a writer/editor. MIght take some time though and Im wondering how to link the two seperate parties together.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Do the LOTR trick, you take the one quite far, then dial it right back at a big dramatic section. There are actually a few major splits you have to do that with. Aurek's introduction (you'd rewind back at the time the soldiers approach the party), Ameena's split (you'd rewind a heck of a long way perhaps once Ameena appears to come back in Soorec's room, or you could keep going back and force at each break point, Petal's introduction after she appears to the group, and finally Westian's time away once he and Falkor and Aurek (hopefully) meet up wit hthe party again at some dramatic event.

Assuming everyone is still alive.

I plan on merging all the threads (And have done already with some) as we go along in to one big thread so the posts will be in time order to get a sense of timing if the narrative is better that way. After all, the timelines always sync back up perfectly since we were playing the game live when the groups meet again!

Anyway, gotta run :(
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

That would be really great to read, and a good memento of the almost 2 years we have spent on this adventure! Good luck Raixel if you go for it!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, need to figure out if there's anything else fun I can do as a 'thank you' and cool momento of the game. Providing I don't kill you all and leave you sad.

Anyway, one thing at a time. It's 9.45 and I still have an update to do!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*sniff*/ Soorec's dead. You let my little Brighteyes get killed. Still, Ian slipped in a funny discworld reference and another great Haynuus mental image, so overall I'm calling it a win :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh lol yeah...by a somewhat freakish coincidence, my current Skype thought-bubble-message thingy is also "Oook" :D.
And meh to Soorec, stoopid gnome :D. Okay so the grak-graks might prove a bit of a problem if wanky Dolo stops controlling them (or loses whatever control he currently has). I'm still wondering exactly why Soorec chose to spam his name so many times back in the corridor, and wtf happened right after that when the grak-graks changed into him or something.
Oh well...hopefully Ameena's current gambit will pay off and she'll manage to get what she's after. If the item she's currently attempting to use is what it seems to be, hopefully she won't have too much trouble...
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Brighteyes is dead? I don't know how I feel about that. What did he ever do to deserve it? Oh yeah, now I remember - trying (and occasionally succeeding) to kill us, and torturing and killing our friends.

So Bonnie Tyler was right, every now and then Brighteyes does indeed fall apart (when ripped to shreds by out-of-control undead monsters).

Still, the main story thread is getting very exciting, I enjoyed the last few pages a lot!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Awww, poor gnome, did no one love him in the end? *Sad face*

Yeah, the main thread is hotting up, but you guys aren't doing too shabbily either! Hell, Westian's just done a kick ass little speech (and I love that when Westian is being sincere....perhaps...he can't tell if it's really real or manipulative) and Falkor's raising some help. Perhaps. If it doens't tear him apart or come back to attack you guys :p

Waiting for LB in the offshoot thread, since you guys made a good double team last Trolin leader.

Obviously, Ian and Raixel can have their characters mentally react, and say immediate reactions that might happen when they aren't frozen, but for today only Ameena gets to actually do anything before my next update. And I love PvP when it's liek that, where both Ameena and Petal have legitimate reasons for going their own ways and resisting each other. As always, consequences and benefits both ways, lets see how much the freeze life box minimises the potentially bad consequences of Ameena's actions!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol...well, Ameena's seen what happens if they fail, so she's not taking any chances ;).
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

raixel wrote:Ok, great. Now i'm really confused. Petal wont shut the door if no one is leaving. If everyone is trying to flee, she will. If Ameena isnt ignoring everyone and going for something across the room, Petal wont cast the pull spell. If everyone runs out but Ameena she will. If everyone runs out but no one grabs Helm, Petal will cast the pull spell on Helm's body (and gripe about wasting mana on him later). I think that covers everything that everyone could potentially do.

*brain hurts*
My eyes hurt trying to read all that! LOL :P
raixel wrote:If everyone runs out but no one grabs Helm, Petal will cast the pull spell on Helm's body (and gripe about wasting mana on him later)
I really had to laugh at "griping about it later" :twisted:

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

raixel

Post by raixel »

Yeah, well trying to read all the "wait,no, I do this." "Oh, well if you do that then I do this" "Oh! Youre doing that? Then this is happening" "Oh well, if that is happening then I am doing this instead" made MY head hurt ;). So I tried to cover all the bases so I wouldnt have to keep posting changes to my actions. :D

As far as the LOTR style of writing, did I ever mention that those books where it gets really far into one character's story, then switches to another's drives me NUTS. I find myself skipping chapters when that happens to get to the char's story I was reading. (And this isnt an LOTR bitch either, It drives me nuts in ALL fantasy.) And then I end up getting confused cuz I skipped a bunch. Seriously, if youre gonna write a story, write it about ONE group. Going away for a few chapters is ok, but seriously wtf if you have two seperate stories in the same book.

I think itd be cool to write two seperate stories based on the two threads from both group's perspectives.

Beo: Hey, wanna run your lizar char through an introduction story soon? I need to find out if those *wonderful* stats you cooked up are gonna work.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't mind when it switches between multiple characters/groups of characters every chapter or so, as long as I get some kind of really brief reminder as to wtf was going on whenever the PoV changes between groups, so I can go "ohh yeah, this was what was happening...", even if it's only half a sentence or something. And if two groups are gonna come together eventually, you can track how close they are to each other by the progress of their separate threads, if you know where they are (geographically) within the story's setting, or whatever.
One set of books I read recently (a quartet...and I suppose it wasn't that recent considering I'm on about book 16 of Discworld now, but it was recent in as much as it was possibly the last or second-to-last thing I read before starting on Discworld ;)) had the first two books from the PoV of one character, then the third book was from the PoV of an entirely different character (who had parted ways with the main character near the end of the first book), but the storyline ran chronologically alongside the second book and you could spot the point where both timelines sort of "met up" (ie where the second book finished) because of something which happened involving both characters, though they weren't physically anywhere near each other at the time. Then the fourth book divided its time between both these main characters, till eventually they got together again right near the end. I don't have a problem with that kind of thing, as long as I can keep track of what's going on ;).
And ooh, are people already making chars for your game then, Raixel? Hmm, maybe I should look into making one for myself, then, lol. You're using v3.5, right? I'll have to check on that website and see if it lists info on the various races...and then probably decide they're all boring and start bugging you to let me make up my own ;).

Post by raixel »

Well, Beo made one. But the char is borderline retarded. (j/k, well, not really joking its true;)) and I want to run him through a pre-quest just to make sure he's viable as a char and therefore will decide how many dice you guys are gonna roll in char gen. In response to your question abotu editions...Actually I thought Id suprise you all, and we are in fact running DnD 1st ed, red box version. So remember, elf is a race and a class! No, im kidding. OF COURSE we are going to play 3(.5).

Go ahead and start thinking of char ideas/prerolling. We are going to need at least one fighter type, one thief type and of course a mage and a cleric. So decide amongst yourselves who will play what. Races are completely and utterly open up to and including awakened animals (think of how you will speak and carry stuff though) and monsters, but Id prefer to stick with DM style races(including CSB....so centaur, liches and aarokra(sp) anyone?). But if you really really want to play a gold dragon or something let me know and I can make it happen. Theres an earlier post about generally what needs to be in your background and what the campaign will be(I think its like 2 or 3 pages back), so make sure to include that. As of right now, rolling is the hardcore version (3d6, plug it in where you want) But I might switch it to 4d6 drop lowest, depending on how Beo's test run plays out. I dont want fighters with strs of 10 and ints of 3, ect. And either Beo gotcursed by the dice gods, or 3d6 just makes really low chars. I usually do 4d6 drop lowest, in order but can switch twice, so I have never done 3d6 and have no idea what the average is. Well see. But yeah, go ahead and start thinking of or making chars.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol okay..bear in mind that 3.5 is somewhat more complicated than 4th so I'm probably gonna get confuzzled somewhere along the line with all teh extra rules and stuff, plus I'm likely to mess up the maths in sorting out my stats - 4th edition has this wonderful character builder prog that just takes you through everything step-by-step and so there's no way you'll miss anything out or accidentally make any miscalculations ;).
I've ben looking through the race list just now, as it happens, on that d20srd.org website, and I think I've decided on something but it's probably gonna be bloody complicated, lol, especially since I don't know the system too well and also have been concentrating on loads of 4th edition stuff lately due to the game I'm running with Wuffy. I'll PM you now and let you know my character idea and you can tell me how stupid it is, lol.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

3d6 average is 9 - 12, so -1 to +1. 4d6 drop' average I think does shift to roughtly 10 - 12, hence you probably don't get as bad. The dorp methods just cushions, the 3d6 pure doens't cushion as much so you can get lows and highs. The dice gods did curse me, but I have rolled similar NPCs in the past. Given the skills, etc should give some cushion, and given he's a PC, and has decent hit points I'm worried you think he's that crap! He's basically mister just below average! :) Thoguh I know what you mean, there are some vulnerable characters in this game. I did have the alt dice if you want.

One of the sad things about playing 4th edition is the insistence of having charatcers rolled as uber heroic.

Umm, I seemed to be stretched a little thin right now. Was this just a PbP intro game? I can manage that!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm presuming we just roll six lots of 3d6 for the stats btw, and not seven and then discard the lowest? I won't start on rolling up stats and whatever else needs doing (I'll have to check on the website) till my character concept has been given the go-ahead, lol (have already PMd Raixel about it). Then I'll have a proper look into what exactly I need to do to put a 3.5 character together - I know I've technically done it before with Wuffy's game (well, he helped rather a lot, I think), but that was kind of a year and a half ago ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You roll six lots of 4d6, and in each case drop the lowest die of each lot. So you still end up with a number between 3 and 18 for each stat, but you have a much better chance of getting good rolls. And yes, I think you can be forgiven for forgetting something you did for only a day or so from fresh a year and a half ago!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Thought we were roling 3d6, not 4d6? And the reason I asked about whether we roll it six times or seven is 'cause at club that's normally what we do - make the appropriate stat roll for however many stats you have, then reroll whichever is lowest and allocate the resulting totals to your stats however you like. So in this case it'd be roll six lots of 3d6 and then re-roll the lowest total, making a total of seven rolls but still each roll is 3d6 but at least you get a reroll if one of those totals comes out at 3 or something, lol.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You want end up with a number between 3 and 18 (the total of 3d6) but one of the methods to create more heroic characters is to actually roll 4d6 each time, and drop the lowest roll. So instead of rolling 1,6,6 and having 13, you could roll 1,6,6,6 and get 18 (obviously, you'd drop the 1). Weeeeeeeeee!

The other method is to roll 7 scores, and just drop your lowest one for six scores roll. So your basic scores will still be normal, but you can get rid of a really bad one.