DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Re: DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Post by raixel »

New bika cultural notes are up now! I woulda got them done a couple weeks ago, but my world went to hell for a little bit there. Beo requested a life stages bit, so the new part is Life Stages -childhood to young adult.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooh, cool! Running out to work, so will check them out later.

Update is up. I've put you guys in a ...situation. Well, you guys did, I guess. Can you do more fast talking to get out of it?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Umm, too late - I already just posted IC mostly based on Helm's current state and Deephold's reaction ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So noted. Why does it smell really bad when I want some air movement?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Err, lol, you what? Surely it would smell bad right after you've had some "air movement"? ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I was just trying to indicate that my fan had be befouled by excrement :D

Oh, could you roll me an opposed grapple check please (for when the grak-grak does something)? Or I could use your 17 for that, and you can roll a new escape artist check for your next turn, of course.

And yeah, escape artist is basically escaping full stop, and also includes knowledge of ropes, etc for obvious reasons :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Umm okay, I think I'd better use the 17 for the grapple check, then, in which case here is a new Escape Artist check for you...ooh fuckage, lol, I think I'm glad I used the 10 for resisting the grak-grak...umm, Escape Artist = 11 (1+10), unless that's an auto-botch. I'm not sure whether the auto-botch-on-a-natural-1 thing is only for trying to hit stuff or for any action in combat. Ouch anyway :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, luckily no auto-botch in graspple checks. At least, not with me. I look forward to seeing Raixel make us fall over in her game. By us, karma will of course make it me :D

Luckily, failing it during your turn won't result in damage. Though if it decides to make a normal attack while you are pinned, it might be bad...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specia ... tm#grapple
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I did say I'd use the 17 for the anti-grapple - the nat-1 was supposed to be a new Escape check...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I wonder if Ian and Raixel are crying now, attacking the grak-grak seems to have scared them off :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I'm glad I used the 17 for the anti-grapple check - looking at those rules I get a -4 as it is for my size, and I think my Str bonus is zero, lol.
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

beowuuf wrote:I was just trying to indicate that my fan had be befouled by excrement :D
The polite way of saying "the sh*t has hit the fan"... LOL! :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
raixel

Post by raixel »

Um. Holy SHIT. I know I'm gonna need a weekend to work my action out here. It really just depends on if Petals gonna go apeshit or not, and the way Ive been playing her it definately is leaning towards apeshit. She REALLY likes Ameena, because she views Ameena as untainted by life, and her naivety charming. Helm she could give a rats ass (or maybe a murafus?) about, but I think Soorec just crossed a line here.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Ooook.

Just been told at work that I'll be working on a project for a year in a bank, actually IN the bank. Therefore my posts are going to be less frequent and definitely not over a coffee at work!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, and your little friend is having great joy in reminding Petal that she drew a line at all :)

It's quite interesting to realise that Petal (I think) instigated the attack on the grak-graks originally, killing one, and I think Ameena kicked off the second attack that killed the rogue grak-grak to protect the swan-lizard thingies last time, and initiated the attack this time. And Petal was the one who probably reinfirced Soorec's increasing tactics since she blasted Deephold in the first battle, and basically shrugged her shoulders at Helm being threatened with drowning that one time.

Basically, what I'm saying is the small innocent 'life is good, we live in a forest harming no-one' characters are bloodthirsty monsters, and the 'ug, I'm a murderous orc I kill things' guys is the one who wants a peaceful life farming, and is the diplomat trying to stop the killing.

I like the role reversal :p
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus is slightly retarded though. I always put him in the stupid is as stupid does type role.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@ Ian: Oh noes! I hope the work is at leats interesting, and you aren't having to all move and stuff and get disrupted for a year!

The game is winding down to the end, thoguh of course raixel's will be starting after. I can accomodate a slowler posting schedule (weeee, extend the game's life more!) so no worries.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, I was sort of expecting to probably not live too long after that little action with the grak-grak. So long as Petal doesn't convince everyone to leave Helm behind during Ameena's "absence" (or to not bother rezzing him), I'm sure it'll all work out fine ;).
I don't think Ameena actually started the fight with the last grak-grak, btw - she was a little outside of that combat, trying to diplomaticise with the swan-lizards, though I think she may have joined in once the grak-grak made it obvious it was goign to attempt nasty violent things. I can't fully remember, now.
Anyway, Soorec is a wanker and I hope he gets smished by something really...smishy ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Awwwwwww, Petal's doing some thinking just now. IS she also going to act afterwards, or os she still delaying?

If she's delaying, I'll update further. If she's also going ot act, I'll wait to see what she does first.

Poor Haynuus, he does seem to have been broken. Also, we seemed ot have double posted twice above Ian. Yeah, poor Forrest Gump like Haynuus. He's having to deal with a lot, and yet in many qys he's very young. His age being one of the primary ways. Westian and Falkor have left him all alone to be leader. Quite a weight on his shoudlers :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah, he's only fifteen or something, isn't he? Technically even Ameena is older than him, even though chronologically she's only about twelve - to compare that to human years she's more like 25-ish. Though chances are she'll feel a lot older by the time she gets out of the dungeon. Well, you know, assuming that happens and the universe doesn't get destroyed or she just ends up perma-dead due to trying to help people and stuff ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, pretty much, on all counts :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Cool, Raixel's made her move, so I'll update. Though probably be later in the day, I'm already at work, and might hit the cinema on the way home.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Aaw, you have to work on Saturdays? Bleh...

Post by raixel »

I have to works Saturday. Well technically i go to work on Fri, but I dont get off until 6am Sat. Loads of fun. So Ameena, how does it feel to be dead? :D

Beo, you BETTER not screw up what I have planned for my campaign by killing everyone off! (teasing :))
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I suppose, actually, it's better if you do work at weekends, if it means you get weekdays off - the shops are certainly less busy on weekdays if you need to go out or whatever ;).
And obviously I have no idea what your campaign's gonna be like, Raixel, but I might wanna rereoll and give my poor stressed murafu a break from saving the world while I play someone a bit more ambivalent about kicking the shit out of other creatures ;). If you're letting people carry on at the same level, then I'll just roll up a character at that level, though hmm I suppose I'll be stuck with the ready-made races, and since you've made it clear that you don't much like 4th edition then that'll mean I'll have to use a race from 3.5 or whichever version you're using, and I don't actually know what those are. Well, I'll have to look into it a bit closer to the time. Maybe I can mod one of them and still get a custom race out of it ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Occasionally I got to work on Saturdays, depending if other staff want to work overtime and need supervised ,or if there is stuff that needs done. Kinda a little of both today, so I went in. Got a lot done, and got to walk out in the deceptively decent weather at lunchtime, so it's all good.

Anyway, who says I'll kill everyone? That's not my style! Won't stop you guys form killing yourself though :D Eh, I'm sure someone will leave the dungeon alive and mentally well. Surely. Maybe?

Actually Ameena, 3.5 and 4th are quite similar in many ways, so character classes alone should be pretty close. You might find your abilities are different (as you've found with your rogue) but otherwise most races are ported between 3.5 and 4th., The world is supposed to be the same, after all!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I'm gonna have Aurek just sit back and watch for this round. So.... no actions :P

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

raixel

Post by raixel »

Like I told Beo, I have a HUGE 3(.5) collection, with all kinds of crazy 3rd party books. If you want to make a custom race based off of a DM class or whatever, let me know. I'll start throwing ideas together for you. One thing, I dont dig level adjustments at all. So if you want a stronger char than a PC race, there is other options.

Um. 3rd and 4th arent really that different. Its mostly that the mechanics have been
Spoiler
*avoids saying dumbed down*
simplified. And for some reason they took half orcs & gnomes out of the first players handbook? So basic PC races are human half elf halfling dwarf half orc elf gnome. Im down if you want to play an aasimar or teifling too, as I have the 2 different rule books for them. One is the FR players compendium and then a 3rd party one done by Green Ronin that has all kinds of cool character options. (Ironiclaly in the first run print of the FR compendium aasimar and tiefling appear in, they spelled aasimar *Assimar*, which cracks me up every time I see it.) And classes are druid bard wizard sorcerer fighter barbarian paladin monk (which I dont allow without a damn good reason, as i dont think they fit in with a typical dnd world and are way overpwered) ranger (which I modify usually, cuz as written in 3(.5) they kinda suck). and cleric (I also have rules for a 2nd edition style "specialty priest" cuz I REALLY miss those.). So I dont think its really that much different. If you have questions about an option/skill/ect let me know.

If everyone restarts new chars, Im not gonna have people continue on at the same level. I was thinking 3rd or 4th. If some people want to keep chars, then everyone will start at what level this campain ends at, but thats gonna take a little adjustment. The campaign is going to be a semi-direct continuation (storywise) of this campaign, so if you want to play new chars, I need you to think about how you know the chars in this campaign. It could be anything or any character. (For instance, Beo's char has been to Petal's village) So a char might say, have been friends with Ameena or Haynuus worked on your farm in his travels. It should be stronger than 'I just asked this char a question', though. Strong enough that you might adventure around due to the char.

And lastly

Beo- Does Dm invis work like DnD invis wherre if i touch or do something, it goes away?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hard to tell - it seemed to in the game, buit maybe that was other sights or the short lasting mature of it at work!

The idea is for you guys to earn one last level, stopping at level 8.

Edit: Judgement call, you stay invisible because it's such a short lived spell. But interact with objects, and they are still visible, and touch epopel, and they get a bonus to knowing where you are.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Aasimars and Teiflings are powerful. I remember a campain of Neverwinter Nights 2 using an Aasimar, I stomped pretty much everything in sight :twisted:
As for the classes, I can understand that they're overpowered... can't you just dumb them down a bit? These being the standard classes, you've eliminated a large chunk of the 'cast'.

When it comes to invisibility, I like Beo's judgement call. Staying invisible, but giving critters a bonus to being able to hit you. It reminds me of 'Hollow Man' and 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'... you see things hovering about, but you could still smack him if you knew where he was.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin