DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

DM themed play-by-post D&D game : OOC thread

Post by beowuuf »

This is the OOC character thread for the DM themed D&D play by post game! See this thread for the actual story posts, and this thread for an explanation of it all.

Use this thread for all questions, comments, general chit chat and out of character tactical debates. Feel free to post your character's general thoughts here on what he wants to do if there will be any debate about resolving actions in fast-paced situations.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: DM themed play-by-post D&D game?

Post by Gambit37 »

I'd love to but I really don't think I have the time :-( Unless of course it's an extremely slow game and can wait a few days between actions :-)

I never played much pen-and-paper RPG, the only one I tried was MERP. So D&D would actually be a whole new experience for me! :D Hmmm.. so tempted, but I already have no life. Gah, stop enticing me with more computer based shenanigans! :-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Interested, yes. Confused, yes. Lol. Just looked at that link and it looks like there's about five different types of rule. Umm...? Never played "proper" DnD before so only have a very vague idea as to how it works. I know a few bits like spell names and stuff, well, that's if every DnD game still uses all the same bloody spells (Cure <whatever> Wounds, Larloch's Minor Drain, etc) like they do in Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale.
If i can get around the complicated-ness of the rules and just get into the actual RPing of it, I expect it shall be fun :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@Ameena Don't worry, I can post a summary for you ameena! Luckily the rules are easy to get used to, so you can just roleplay and get the heavy lifting done.

@Gambit The trouble with these sorts of games is they really do need a daily post commitment of they start to lose their way a little. Then again, if the pace can be kept down to one DM post a day summarising the choices, then it can be manageable because the players only need to post their action once a day aswell.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I could do a post a day as I usually check in here daily, but if it were a few posts a day -- that would be harder. I'd basically get no work done ;-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, it is the risk that for people who come multiple times a day, they can start to interract alot and create a lot of text for other players. One of the GMs on the Lone Wolf forum is good for inforcing a one GM story post per day, which makes sure the game moves fast, without being too fast. I'd certainly do it that way.

Anyway, I'm posting a rules summary in another thread for those unfamiliar. It would be cool to get like four people to represent the four champions, and do a DM inspired dungeon delve :)

There are online dice rollers available, everyone is on a computer to record their character stuff, and there is the link to the rules aswell as my summary. Although as a DM I'd certainly do the heavy lifting rules wise while people got on with the RP to start with. The benefit of playing online, I'm not delaying the game if I'm taking on the mechanics in the background as long as I post that day :)

Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I'd really like to take part in this (I didn't mention it before, but in 1990s I once prepared DnD maps for my friends based almost entirely on DM, and it worked surprisingly well, I must have the maps and notes somewhere), but today is the last day of holidays here, so starting tomorrow my "free time" will be limited to just checking what's new on the forums, and so I'm afraid I would delay everything. I'll see how much work I'll have, I'm not sure yet. It's a pity we didn't start like one month ago, I had two months of holidays, just sitting at the screen and doing almost nothing, doh!
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aww :(

I'm off to PAX for the week, but hopefully work is calming down for me

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I know I'm normally on here every day, but just as an advanced warning if we're gonna be starting this - after next week (or this week, depending on how you count your weeks :P), I've got two weeks off - my friend is back from Africa and we're taking Ollie (and Midge) up to Lincolnshire to settle them up there (her job is live-in, so they can come up and live there with her). I dunno how long I'll be gone - maybe only a day or two, maybe a week. But there's sod all Internet up there, I think - connection is crap, she tells me. So I might not be on much (if at all) for a few days.
No idea how long for. We haven't planned that bit yet. She gets back from Africa next Sunday (or maybe Saturday, I'm not sure). so I suppose we'll plan it then ;).

EDIT (to save making a double-post) - I just read (well, read some, skimmed some, skipped some, actually...) your DnD rules summary thing. Warrghhh...actually a lot of the bits I did look at remind me of when I played NWN. I was a Rogue then, kicked arse with Backstab (had the melée dude as my henchman so he tanked for me, good ol' Daelan Red-Tiger :D). Got to something like level 21 (maybe 23, can't remember - low 20s anyway) but didn't quite finish the second expansion. Should have done. Ended up distracted by something else. And then something else. And so on. D'oh. Oh well, maybe some other day I'll start it again :).
Anyway, yeah...I think I'll just do what I normally do and sort of muddle through it, picking stuff up as I go rather than trying to read all the rules before I start and then having to memorise and understand them. Easier to just learn about each individual little thing as I get to it, and bug you with questions every time I become clueless ;).
I think my NWN char was a Half Elf Rogue, Neutral Good. I think. It was ages ago. Anyway, are we limited to the same kinds of races/classes as in those games (BG, IWD, NWN)? Because then at least I know some more stuff, because I can remeber it from there.
Oh, and do we get some kind of character form thingy to fill in? You know, a profile thingy where we can choose our race/class/stats etc (obviously with all the limitations like "This class can't do this skill" and "You get this many points to add into your stats and the limit is this" etc). Because then I can start making my char (the best bit in any halfway decent RPG, even if the rest of the game is crap ;)).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As I was trying to type out before my comp crashed, NWN is exactly based on the D&D rules set, so it is the same. Other races and classes can be used, but the DM equivalents would be best to use, and of course alterate races are likely to mechanically become the same as the established ones :)

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Just let me know what I can use, and every detail I need to put into a new char, and I'll make one :).
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I used to play DnD 3.0 and 3.5 at least once a week before I moved to Berlin two years ago. I'd like to do this kind of stuff, but I'm afraid I don't have the time for it. The next few days won't be a problem, but I will not be online next weekend and may only come here every 2 or 3 days after that when my vacation is over. So before you all get frustrated with me and ban me yet again, I'll skip it, as interesting as it sounds.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

NWN is exactly based on the D&D rules set, it just keeps it hidden alot of the time.

We can stay limited to those races and classes, certainly class wise to keep it feeling like DM in some ways, and race wise anything exotic might find itself mechanically like one of the defined races :)

No profile to fill in, well there might be ones online.

If you wanna play around creating a chararacter, do the following:

1) Roll 3d6 six times and assign then to the six abilities. If you are getting crap rolls, use 4d6 and drop the lowest die. Note down the rolls, and also the bonuses/penalties.
2) Figure out what sort of character you want personality/physically based on the rolls. If you have a race in mind other than human, cool
3) Figure out your class - fighter, cleric (priest), rogue or wizard. Like I said (maybe), to keep it DM feeling you will level alot and can cross class easily, so this will just be the stepping stone.
4) Go to the page I linked to for the class you want - ignore the in depth stuff, just concentrate on the table and main headings.
5) Look to the Hit Dice section. Whatever hit die your class gets, assume you roll the maximum (so a rogue gets 6 hit points). Add or subtract your constitution bonus/penalty to this amount (to a minimum of 1)
6) Look to the skill points section. Work out, given your intelligence modifier, how many skill points you will have. If you are playing a human, add four points to that number.
7) Using the list on the other rules, work out where you want to assign the skill points. Remember, class skills will get a +1 for each point you assign, whereas cross-class skills only get a +1 bonus for every two points. Remember you can take multiple knowledge skills. Remember you can take multiple language skills, although if you have a high intelligence you will get a few anyway. Note down any skills you've added points into and how many you have.
8) Decide on a feat you wish to have (either look through the list, or just decide yourself on the type of natural ability you'd like). If you are playing a human, have another! If you are playing a fighter, also decide on a combat-type ability you would like.
9) Well, it would be writing down your abilities, and adding your race info, but that sounds enough to be getting on with!

Edit: Spot who got back the work they lost :)

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Rat - racial details

Adapted from the Gnome, differences in bold

* +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
* Small: As a Small creature, a rat gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
* Rat base land speed is 20 feet standing up.
* A rat without items in hand, lying prone, has a base land speed of 30 feet.
* Low-Light Vision: A rat can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
* Weapon Familiarity: Rats may treat WEAPON as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
* Can use bite as an unarmed strike method. Deals 1d3 lethal damage.
* +2 racial bonus on reflex saving throws while unarmed and prone.
* +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids.
* +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
* +2 racial bonus on Stealth checks.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Rat. Bonus Languages: Goblin, Gnome, and Orc. In addition, a rat can speak with a burrowing mammal (a badger, fox, rabbit, or the like, see below). This ability is innate to rats. See the speak with animals spell description.
* Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A rat with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—detect poison, disguise self, jump (self only). Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + rat’s Cha modifier + spell level.
* Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass rat’s rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yaaay, I is a fuzzle :D. Still need to think of a decent race-name for her, but maybe everyone else just calls them "Rat-people" or something, while they have a name for themselves that no-one really bothers to use because they are twats who don't like ratties :P. And I need to actually make my char. Arrgh.
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Actually, I won't be able to take part after all. Sorry, I just have too many other tings on the go right now and I'll never finish them if I start something new as well.... :-)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, I might overhaul it alot, as I just looked at the rat monster decription!

Still, the changes can only benefit you - for example, their racial traits include using dex not strength for altheltics type stuff, then getting insane bonuses!

Murafu- racial details

Now adapted from the previous adaption, using the monster rules
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rat.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/direrat.htm

* +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
* Small: As a Small creature, a rat gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
* Rat base land speed is 20 feet standing up and climbing.
* A rat without items in hand, lying prone, can still move and has a base land speed of 40 feet.
* Low-Light Vision: A rat can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
* Can use bite as an unarmed strike method. Deals 1d3 lethal damage. Cannot be used with items in the hand.
* +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
*Rats have a +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks, and a +4 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, and Swim checks.
*A rat can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. A rat uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb and Swim checks. A rat has a +4 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered.
*It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Rat. In addition, a rat can speak with a burrowing mammal (a badger, fox, rabbit, or the like, see below). This ability is innate to rats. See the speak with animals spell description.
* Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute).
* Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass rat’s rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Can you estimate how long an 'average' turn would take, plz Beo?
How many 'turns' would you like to see per week?
Would you consider this venure a 'success' if you just got down to the end of the worm level (although the one after that is seared into my memories as well).
Hmmm I can roll up a character at least. Later... After coffee or lunch.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ideally you'd want a round to take a day with all posts being resolved by me, and the creatures added. That would involve me setting up a single initiative for each side. Realistically a round might take 2 - 3 days depending on clarifications and if individual members could act in between the monsters.

This will be DM inspired, will be the familiar DM feel, but won't be a trawl through the existing DM dungeon layout. If you think about how the encounters are spaced, plus add to it how much we all know about the dungeon, that would be a bit boring. Fun to try the mechanics differentlyat key areas, but everything in between would get boring fast.

You will certainly be passing through old locations sometimes, perhaps occasionally see the results that happened in familar areas, but the dungeon will be new.

It depends on the players how the dungeon goes. I can imagine it being, in a way, like Theron's quest. That there will be discrete dungeons. At the end of each dungeon we can cycle players or carry on with the core group depending on how it is going, or even let one of the dungeons be an end.

I can imagine the game having a shelf life of maybe two of these dungeons, each dungeon being 4 - 6 levels (near the end teleporters and pits can bypass areas). However, maybe everyone will run out of free time after the first, or maybe we'll keep going into multiple dungeons on the hub :)

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It really does sound fun! I wish I had more free time!

How much time investment per day do I need? Is it just a question of turning up, saying "I do this" and buggering off again, or do I have to spend ages looking at tables of data and rationalising my inventory or... stuff? Consider me a RPG noob ;-)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I am busy too, but if I could do it in a few minutes from work - just go onto the forum, type my action and then check back to see what the other PCs and monsters have done - then count me in.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow, Beo, this does sound cool and fantastic and I'll have to reconsider my attitude... yeah, the idea of walking in a new environment but finding traces of the original DM or CSB locations (that could however work differently.... "OK, let's push this button to turn the teleporter on" BOOM!!!, lol) from time to time... wow! :shock:

I'd really like to take part in it, but I'll know my schedule and workload for next semester only this or next week, so I'll decide later. Maybe I'll watch the others playing for a while and join later once I'm sure I have enough time. Or something.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If it takes off, there might be slots that open up, or it might become clear a five group would work, etc

In regards to posting content and schedule - given the timescales of everyone, I reckon the game should not move too swiftly. One of the dangers is having some people at the edges of the posting commitment, and others able to post multiple times per day. This can lead to RP or ideas posts that overwhelm the lower threshold posters. I think keeping it to four people, and also having alot of you busy, should mean it will be manageable.

As long as everyone commits to a meaningful post each day (doesn't have to be long aslong as it converys a good idea, a character beat, a helpful combat tactic, etc) then we should be ok

As to rules versus role, I will happily keep more of the onus of the mechanics on myself if some people want to simply add the roleplaying aspect. As long as you understand the mechanics and know what you character can and can't do, I can steer you correctly on what you have, what you need, and what you might need to role, etc

Anyway, if the four of you can vinalise your characters at least to the firm concept stage by the end of Tuesday, I could set up the first post before I leave. That would give you a whole week to roleplaying a meeting, get a feel for how much free time you have to post and how you all interract, and I'd be back Wednesday to push the story forward.

Anyway, check out the rulessummary thread furtherdown to see the guidelines on skills (I've collapsed that alot) and the classes. As seen, I will adapt the races if you want something weird but otherwise human, elf, half-elf, halfling, dwarf, gnome and half-orc are the standard races.

ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Name: Haynuus from the Bhut-Ock clan (These orcs will appear in my DSB dungeon one day....)

Class: Fighter, and put me on the front line!

Race: Half-orc, an ugly one

Alginment: Chaotic Good

Stats: Generated from here, heroic roll, only rolled once though!
Strength:15 +2
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 7 -2
Wisdom: 14 +2
Constitution (Concentration?): 12 +1
Charisma: 9 -1
I've not yet taken the racial modifier into account, below.

It would appear Half-Orcs get the following...
* +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
* A half-orc’s starting Intelligence score is always at least 3. If this adjustment would lower the character’s score to 1 or 2, his score is nevertheless 3.
* Medium: As Medium creatures, half-orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* Half-orc base land speed is 30 feet.
* Darkvision: Half-orcs (and orcs) can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
* Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
* Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Abyssal.
* Favored Class: Barbarian. A multiclass half-orc’s barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.
Skill: Intimidate (Can't see anything better for this character).

Feat: Endurance and Diehard... And Power attack

Bio: They say that you have to be suicidal or just plain stupid to become an adventurer. Haynuus fills those two categories with abundance. Anyone with a motto 'Born to Die', and a tattoo of a red, white and blue target symbol on the back of his head is doomed to a brief existence. The tough upbringing of one being brought up between two societies, accepted by neither the humans nor the orcs brought our champion to the region controlled by the Bhut-Ock's who will take anybody in assuming that they survive an initation ritual which includes repeatedly slamming themselves against a wall, drinking from the udder of a poisonous cave snake (seeing is believing), and insulting the neighbouring tribe of Ogres. Weathering these ordeals marks Haynuus as a survivor, but with limited chances of entering the guild of wizards. Only time will tell as to whether our champion can survive the depths of a true test of heroes.

See [+]

Updated age and alignment... Added power attack
Last edited by ian_scho on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Name: Westian Dallomain.
Class: Cleric
Race: Half-elf.
Alignment: Neutral good.
Stats: (rolled twice with 4 dice – the first roll was so bad I just had to change it).
Str. 14 (+2)
Con. 12 (+1)
Dex. 10 (0)
Int .12 (+1)
Wis. 15 (+2)
Cha. 14 (+2)
Hit point 8+1 = 9

Skills:If I am right I get 12 points....(2+ Int mod) x 4 = 12

I am going for a character who is knowledgeable in social settings, and would fit in well in a court, church pulpit, debating society or dinner party, but is a bit naive when it comes to getting down and dirty in a dungeon.
Bluff: 2 points (he is a fast, smooth talker)
Diplomacy: 4 points (they say Henry Kissinger was one of the best diplomats because he could always butter people up the right way, Westian would like to be something similar)
His mother sent him to a school run by priests and so has been well-educated as far as books are concerned:
Knowledge (religion): 3 points (His mother was devoted to Corellon, and brought him up with the same devotion).
Knowledge (the planes): 1 point
Knowledge (arcana): 1 point
Knowledge (history): 1 point

Feats I think negotiator would suit him best.

Bio and description: Typical of half-elves Westian is good-looking, and he knows it. He has a long mane of auburn hair – perfectly groomed – and fine delicate facial features. With a constant hint of a smile on the edges of his lips, his sarcastic sense of humour is sometimes mistaken for a sense of superiority. In spite of this he normally manages to ingratiate himself with others, using constant low-level flattery if necessary (something that works well when dealing with people with low self-esteem). He grew up in a human village, child of a male human adventurer who romanced and settled into married life with an elf. With his father now dead he has been travelling, perhaps semi-consciously trying to live up to his memory. He follows the deity of his mother (I looked at DnD deities, and Corellon Larethian seems the most appropriate, I don’t know what deities are in the DM world though).
Last edited by oh_brother on Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@ian Good character. You actually only get one normal feat and one fighter feat (which you can only pick from the fighter list). Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, I never played a half-human getting the bonus human feat.

However, I'm going to let you keep your two general feats though given your very low rolls which will get worse with the racial modifier! Alternatively, I rolled a 14 for an alternate attribute. You can drop the general feat (you can get it back at 3rd level), and instead give one of your low attributes a base 14 score.

As for intimidate, you did not say if you were putting full points into it?

@oh brother - good character, and well done on the lucky second rolls. Remember to pick a feat! I've truncated skills in line with D&D progressions, and also removed some that won't be useful in the dungeon. That leaves only 17, with some powerful amalgamations. Hopefully you can feel your way around how your class skills are now placed.

The cleric's turning won't be present, but you will get bonuses to the intimidate against undead and also items wth calm will act similar. You won't need learned spells, as a group you will either intuit or learn the DM rune combinations be ale to cast your level's amount each encounter with no preparation.

The deities hinted in DM could well be High Lords. Given the nature of the muliverse, let's assume that Corellon was a High Lord who chose his name as some echo of the Elven deity in other realities :) In the DM game a priest's power came internally, so your god will not be directly invokes, but certainly your faith might influence your actions.

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, so ideally we're looking for one more person to be a mage!

Gambit, you sounded out then you sounded like you might be in... any thought?

Though I reckon that the way I will handle multi-classing, three people could enter and you could start building up levels in wizard simply by devoting time to studying runes later. Or, three could start find a further deeper in the dungeon.

Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Undecided! Aarghh. Too much other stuff I should be doing. I think I need to be realistic and sit this one out. It would be nice to read it though and see how it turns out, but I'd better not start because I don't want to find that I can't contribute and mess it up for everyone else.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

beowuuf wrote:@ian Good character. You actually only get one normal feat and one fighter feat (which you can only pick from the fighter list). Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, I never played a half-human getting the bonus human feat.

However, I'm going to let you keep your two general feats though given your very low rolls which will get worse with the racial modifier! Alternatively, I rolled a 14 for an alternate attribute. You can drop the general feat (you can get it back at 3rd level), and instead give one of your low attributes a base 14 score.
I think I'll keep my two feats, instead of the 14. Thx. I'll be more in character that way (and penalised for it).
beowuuf wrote:As for intimidate, you did not say if you were putting full points into it?
Ugh, I think I'm too stupid to have any skill points[*][/url]:
Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) ×4.
If I have any, pop 'em in Intimidation. :)
Feel free to edit the Haynuus sheet to your satisfaction!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You are my kinda roleplayer ian :) As I said elsewhere, I don't mind how you interpret your score amalgamation, as long as it makes sense. Your half-orc doens't have to be entirely stupid, he can simply be very, very uneducated. As long as that in the end would come to a compromise of the int 5 - like an actual mental intelligence of 7-8 with a knowledge of 3 say would combine to the 5. Therefore, I don't mind you playing him (given the high wisdom) as willing and more able to learn, but a blank slate. Your choice!

You always get at least one skill point after intelligence bonus, so you have four ranks of intimidation! Your charisma puts a dent in that, but at least you have a positive bonus :) Again, I don't mind how you amalgamate your charisma score by roleplaying different aspects to account for your lower charisma. For example you can play him pushier, as long as say his lack of knowledge is also played up making him less likely to be taken seriously. Again, your choice!

The way the language skill works for this game alone, I have it set that it actually has up to four ranks. Given your intelligence,this means you have one rank in your given languages. This only allows you to understand the basic concepts of a sentence, rather than the full meaning of every joining word. You can, if you wish, use skill points to boost your languages. 2 ranks would let you understand normal speech without problems, and your natural languages would be counted as a class skill.

Remember you still have a fighter feat. You can set yourself up with power attack to go the power attack-> cleave-> great cleave route, of go for something else.

Anyway, we seem to be progressing well, at the very least we have three formed characters that can be role played, I will set up the first post tomorrow evening, and see if we can't get a fourth player and maybe even fully form the mechanical aspects of everyone's sheets by then too!