DM themed play-by-post D&D game : STORY THREAD

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: DM themed play-by-post D&D game : STORY THREAD

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Initiative = ohh ffs there's the crappy roll...5 (2+3) lol. Assume that Ameena is, for the moment, stopped next to Helm and doing the nearest she can do to an attempt at dragging him out the door whilst looking frantically over at Haynuus, or Deephold, if he's closer...actually, both of them. She'll have put the stone fragment into a pouch for now and if the magic box's effect has definitely worn off she'll put it down. Still, hopefully the grak-graks (or Dolo, or whatever) will take a few seconds to actually realise she's suddenly moved...and also won't realise what she did. Oh, can we also say that she pulled the lid down again on the box once she found what she was looking for? No sense in demonstrating what she's just been up to, should Dolo think of checking ;).
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Is the door closing?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, I missed the door open/close. You couldn't cast a spell fast enough if the door was closing ... infact Haynuus might have been trapped on the other side for pausing to grab Ameena. So you might want to retcon stopping the door and now have to restart it.

Alternatively, the door would be closed - it''s freeze life, not time despite what the description is on the box, so Ameena would be in the room alone.

I'm not actually up yet....let me figure it out and write on something friendlier before I leave for work!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Initiative (1d20=18) Woot. I wreckon the half orc would realise what Ameena is looking at and grab the body and then bodily throw both himself and the corpse out of the doorway
I didn't role an opposed check (versus Ameena's natural 20) and instead wrote out how he missed her.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, so if the door was closing, did Haynuus stay on the Ameena or the Petal side of it? Would Petal go to re-open it if no one came out? Like I said, the way it was pitched it sounded like Haynuus was hovering in the room, so not abandoning her totally (basically trying to distract the grak-graks), and especially with the spell use I just missed the door was actually closing.

If Haynuus is on the Petal side of the door it is closed, if Haynuus is on the Ameena side of it then Raixel can say if Petal repened it or not.

Sorry for missing that.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Ohh bah eck, this is complicated. Ameena is already on two virtual planes and now she has the door is closed/door is open scenario.
Let's say then if he saw the door closing he would then step inside with his friends... And the smell. He'd still retreat with the corpse to the doorway, closed or not.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Okk, Deephold would have made for the door, then stepped back in when he realised what was happening with Ameena and Haynuus. So will leave Raixel to say if Petal reopened the door. I'm assuming yes, then the spell attempt, so the door would be open now.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - I completely missed the bit about the door closing in Petal's post, but it does say something along the lines of "she waited for her friends to go past before turning the thing to close the door"...so if no-one's actually left the room then she won't have started to close the door yet, will she? ;) Ameena's only now waiting long enough for someone to pick up Helm, then she'll be out of there as long as she's sure everyone else is running too - she doesn't want to leave anyone behind unless they're undead or a gnome (she hasn't looked too closely at what's left of Soorec, on account of being a bit busy trying to yoink items from his room ;)).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds like Haynuus is grabbing Helm, so everyone will be attempting to flee.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Ok, great. Now i'm really confused. Petal wont shut the door if no one is leaving. If everyone is trying to flee, she will. If Ameena isnt ignoring everyone and going for something across the room, Petal wont cast the pull spell. If everyone runs out but Ameena she will. If everyone runs out but no one grabs Helm, Petal will cast the pull spell on Helm's body (and gripe about wasting mana on him later). I think that covers everything that everyone could potentially do.

*brain hurts*
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Petal tried the Pull spell before Ameena went for the green box - Ameena resisted it since the nat-20 I rolled vs. Haynuus never got rolled against by Ian so it was used on resisting the Pull instead. Ameena then opened/triggered the green magic box, which froze everyone except her. She then crossed the room and yoinked the thing she was looking for out of a box of Soorec's junk which she then closed. Then she started heading doorwards, but stopped at Helm's corpse - it was around this time that everyone started moving again but as it seems Haynuus has now picked up poor dead Helm once more, everyone is now finally legging toward the exit. Sound good? :D
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, yeah, sorry. If it helps your hurt brain any, I think you have it right! :D

It had all been a bewildering mess to Petal. She had spotted the danger, and had given everyone a perfect exit to leave while the grak-graks had been distracted enacting some well-deserved revenge for all the evil the gnome had done. And then Ameena had decided to go looking for tinkets, Haynuus was stopping and yelling at Petal for something and then saying Ameena wasn't worth it, forcing Petal to stop the door from closing. And then Deephold had tried to grab at Petal when Petal had attempted to save Ameena. And THEN Ameena had done something, and -

Petal recognised the type of magic, she had used it herself in this place. It seemed to be a powerful magic of High Lord origin, though perhaps there were ways for powerful mages to create it. It was not natural though, causing the mana that flowed gentle through everything to harden, and lock the movements of anything with life in place. It was an unpleasant sensation to one so attuned to the raw flow of magic to sudden'y have it rejecting and holding her.

To everyone else, it was just a locking of their muscles while they watched - equally frozen - their enemies across the way, and to the group at least seeing Ameena jumping around behind the group. It went unnoticed only to the grak-graks that Ameena discovered something that glowed with a pure light, something she then pocketed.

Being locked was terrifying, like being claustrophoebic in your own skin. And worse, the fear that those not far away would unfreeze first...

Instead, it happened at once. Ameena was close to the door again when they all unfroze, though she was looking to Helm and trying to move his body. Haynuus reacted in the blink of an eye, grabbing for Helm as if Ameena's life depended upon it, which it probably did. Deephold scrambled quickly to help, making a desperate grab despite his mediocre strength.

The grak-grak on the right, the oen still in its natural form, immediately looked as if it wanted to leap upon Ameena, but staggered back as if pulled by the neck. It hissed silently, clawing at the air. The grak-grak with Dolo's face triesd to look around, but again there was reluctance, as if it wanted to just rush forward at the rest of the group. Half heartedly it turned its head left and right as if looking ot see what Ameena had done. By then, the group were escapng, and taking Helm with them. In desperation, the two grak graks leapt with jerking movements towards Helm's legs, taking one each.

Whew, the grak-graks rolled terribly at their initiative roll, and Haynuus and Deephold rolls well, so we still have a chance to say Helm ('s body) here. Unfortunately, they rolled a nice resist roll. I don't want to turn this in to an extended grapple situation, so basically I will do some on the fly opposed strength checks/quantified success comparisons. Deephold rolled a decent one, though you don'#t really want him to do more than assisting here. I assume Haynuus will be tugging. Ameena and Petal can also react ahead of the grak-graks, so either they can attack to divert the grak-grak's attention (perhaps fatally), you can - this once - try a called shot as an attack instead to try and get them to let go (while running), or you can do something else. Afetr all, Petal might just decide enough is enough and close the door. Or might do that pull spell after all. And Ameena might levelrage her sneak attack as hand attack (I won't deduct sneak attack damage, but might use the amount of damage done including sneak damage as an inication of the power of a successful attack).

Choices, choices. So close to freedom! Since Dolo doens't seem to have perfect control, so the act of gettign a grak-grak to calmly use a door button might be beyond them for a while :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Um...so you're saying I can make an attack against a grak-grak and get a free Sneak Attack even though they're undead? I get that I have Combat Advantage 'cause they're grappling, but hey, I'm not gonna argue if you're letting me twat something with the extra damage :D. Shame I don't have a weapon...though both knives Ameena has had so far have only done the same damage as her natural attack anyway.

BIC - Already standing near to the body of her friend, Ameena sees with terror that two grak-graks have grabbed both Helm's legs. She leaps at the nearest grak-grak hand, chomping at it fiercly to try and make it let go.

OOC - Woo, long post...okay, so, attack roll = 17 (6+9+2), damage = 14 (1+1+3+3+6, first number is normal attack, the rest are SA). Om nom nom!
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm saying roll an attack and roll sneak attack damage, and if it's above an arbitrary threshold in my head, then I'll let it be a successful called shot to the grak-grak'#s hand to make it temporarily flinch. No sneak attack damage will actually be deducted, I'm afraid!

Did Ameena succeed, or did she fail and then because a target for counter-nammage? We shall see...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Well, if she does get nommed in return, she's still only got 4hp left so I'm not holding out huge hopes for there being only one corpse by the end of this, lol.

Post by raixel »

Well, I think this classifies as 'Helm('s ...) getting left behind, so yeah, pull on Helm('s ...). Even though Petal thinks Helm is a waste of life, she realizes her friends are (stupid, insane, weird) enough to kill themselves for a BODY, and rather likes them and doesnt want to see them killed. Though I (personally) really just wanna shut the door and lock alla you nuts in there ;). Could be entertaining to watch WWF Haynuus vs Grak-grak :P

Petal blinks as all the actions of everyone come together in front of her. Her friends were going after the damn *thief's* body!? Petal covers her face with her hand for just a split second /FACEPALM! . When she looks again, two grak graks have attached themselves to the thief's legs, and Deephold and Haynuus are engaged in a rather amusing tug-o-war with said grak-graks. Petal sighs and releases the spell she was holding, the one she nearly released at Ameena but held on to at the last second due to Ameena's triggering of a magic item, the results of which Petal still felt in her body.

"ONOHKATHROS!" Petal shouts again, while pointing at Helm's corpse. As the magic leaps from her hands, the pixie hopes this will give Haynuus an Deephold the help they need so we can *get the SAR out of here*. On the other hand, it might just rip the thief's legs off if the grak-graks have too stong of a hold...

"THE DOOR, SOMEONE CLOSE!" Petal shouts at the group. forgetting that she is the only one who knows how to use the odd projection that makes the wall move.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Phew, it got complicated in there. At least we know that the door is open, Ameena is worth it, and both the living and the dead fight over corpses.

Haynuus's gut reaction is to cut off the corpse's legs and let the undead grak-grak's have a spare wheel each, so to speak. He'd heard of fantastic stories of a barbarian in a wheel chair so maybe Helm/the thief of Baghdad could achieve great things upon resurection on a magic carpet or something. However with all of the screaming and pulling and magic flying around Haynuus felt obliged to be the anchor-half-man and gave a great big heave (1d20+4=17) by digging in his goblin heeled feet in the flagstone floor. Nothing popped off as such but it wasn't his most satisfying show of strength either as Helm's body was actually a bit cold and clammy and he had to resist the urge to wipe his hands on his trousers.

He tried with all of his might to pull Helm's corpse towards the doorway, and hope Petal could close the door once more. If they didn't leave with Helm he knew that Dolo would probably throw him on the magic table and they'd have a new foe to face later on.

"Dolo! Why not get these things to break you out of your prison cell!"

OOC - The other option was to smack the second grak-grak in the face to let Deephold et al. have a free 'pull' on the corpse
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey Raixel, that's not a good idea! Your truesight spells might not last long enough to see the end of the fight! Haynuus is a goddamn rock star of tanking at this point :) And Ameena can sure run around fast!

Petal's magic is focused on a less resisting target, and pulls the body. Together with Haynuus and Deephold's mighty pulls, there was a decent movement. However, the grak-graks were starting to take hold. Perhaps Soorec's body was not to be the only one dismembered today...

Ameena was a brown blur, slashing at the grak-grak in its true form to get the vile thing away from her friend. Her bite landed, though not enough to get through the leathery skin of the thing. The creature did stop what it was doing, but it was to focus on Ameena, instead of springing backwards from the shock of the attack.

Haynuus's comments perhaps had something to do with the lack of control on the other grak-grak. The half-orc's taunt to the grak-grak with the elf's face seemed to cause a reaction, and anger crossed the features. Haynuus and Helm, with Petal's help, managed to pull the body out of the door.

Of course, there was no one else who could close the door except Petal. Before she could move to the switch, the angry 'Dolo' gave a silent hiss, and scramled for Haynuus intent on some violence!

Ameena's attack roll didn't hit, and the damage dice didn't average on the high side either. However, for the risk, and for Haynuus's nice little quip, Ameena manages to distract one of the grak-graks. Good rolls and some magic beat the previous @25 rolls the two grak-graks had enjoyed.

Anyway, Haynuus, you now have an engry grak-grakk - luckily looking like Dolo still - away to punch you or rip your eyes out or something pleasant. Meanwhile Ameena, if I were you I'd roll a damn good acrobatics check and get the heck out of there!

Deephold will probably help Haynuus, which leaves Petal to either close the door and hope it all works out, or to try and help Ameena in case the dice gods are against her!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Finding herself, to her mind, the sudden focus of a predatory gaze, Ameena follows the instinct of any murafu (or, indeed, rety much any prey species) at this point, and attempts to dance away on all four feet, skittering backwards and heading for the direction of safety. Fortunately, in this case, there actually is a direction of safety, and she attempts to go there, following Helm's body as quickly as she can so as to remove herself from her previous position of being possibly moments away from being clawed to bits.

OOC - Acrobatics check to "get the heck out of there" = 25 (10+15)...glad I have such a great bonus as that was only an average roll, lol.

Post by raixel »

Ok, where is everyone? as in, if Petal closes the door, will it be locking any PCs in there?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Everyone is now the right side of the door.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"Close the frikkin' door!" shouts Haynuus in anticipation of being attacked.

OOC - I'll wait on this one until Petal (hopefully) closes the door. He'll be ready to drop the body behind him (while they're all facing/blocking the doorway) as well.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The Dolo-shaped grak-grak will be actually in the door though, so closing it and running will mean you have a Dolo grak-grak on the wrong side of it :)
raixel

Post by raixel »

Petal grabs the odd triangular shaped protrusion on the wall and turns it to close the wall-door. As she looks up, she realizes that the grak-grak with the elf-face is on the wrong side of the door. "Him we attack!" she yells as she points at the elf faced undead. "Let him get away, we do not!"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Woohoo! No DM-based game is complete without someone managing the close-the-monster-in-the-door trick! :D
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"I see dead people!" screams Haynuus with horror.

OOC - Can I hit him? Can I?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, go on then :p
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

In a bizarre twist in tautology Haynuus thought it a good idea to hit the grak-grak with the flat of his OH sword in an attempt to (deal non leathal damage) stun not the undead creation but it's new master. Twack! Twack! (1d20+9=29, 2d6+4=11, 1d20+4=24, 2d6+4=12) Goes the sword as the half-orc had just seen the effect these things have in turning gnomes into sausages.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Blimey that's two nat 20's in a row...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Instead of a very good effect for two good solid blows, I'll have to give you something pretty special... huh, I wish you guys would stop shifting the goalposts of where the plot is supposed to go!

Ameena managed to scamper away from the thrashing claws of the still oddly moving grak-grak. Finally, she was on the correct side of the door with her friends. And she possessed the object she had obsessed over since she knew they would be trying to get back to Soorec's lair. It was a little warm in her pouch, though she would not be able to realise it until later. Similarly, Deephold was too distracted from recovering Helm and seeing the evil priest's effigy stride forwards to think about the warmth deep in the recesses of one of his own pockets from the stone shard he possessed.

Haynuus was still in full flow. It was easy to think in situations like this, circlet or no circlet. Your friends were in trouble, you grabbed them. At least the dead ones let you do it. A bad guy sticks his nose in your face, and gets in the way of you shutting a door, you hit him until he stops doing it. Perhaps Haynuus was developing as a tactical warrior, or perhaps the circler's whisperign was still giving him rock solid ideas. Either way, it seemed so obvious to transfer some solid blows from the grak-grak to the prist, to knock him out again.

The face on the grak-grak looked stunned and annoyed by the first mightly blow, and the creature stopped dead. The elven face only had a momentary flash of surprise as the swift backhand perfectly connected. There was a strange far-away look, and the grak-grak's features melted as it took a step back out of the door.

Petal was already moving to close the door, spinning the stone as she had seen one of the creatyures - perhaps this creature - do a moment before. The last thing Haynuus saw as the door slammed shut were the two grak-graks look at the group with what could only be described - despite explressionless dark orbs - as sheer malice. The door slammed with a final thump, yet behind there was a sound. It was a sound no-one had probably ever heard before. Apparently the grak-graks could make a sound. It was loud even behind a rock door. There seemed to be strange echoes a moment later, as if it were loud enough that it carried from other creatures somewhere not far enough away.

It was a primordial howl. Temporarily free of Dolo, the creatures seemed to realise they no longer had their creator's voice in their head. IN a very real way, he was beyond ever coming back.

Wherther the grak-graks were filled with unholy joy or unquenchable fury at this state of affairs, and being forced to kill their master, the result seemed to be the same. A moment later, twin dull thuds could be heard on the rock wall infront of them. Dust seemed to be shaken loose with each blow.

I couldn't let good luck like that go unrewarded, especially since the tactic behind it was solid enough I would have given you something similar for the hits. Now, instead of transferring the pain to Dolo and buying respite, you've apparently actually broken his connection, probably even knocked him unconscious. I wonder what that will do for the tense situation hinted about!

Anyway, you guys are standing in a mini-cul-de-sac with two very, very angry undead abominations trying to smash through rock. Hey kids, remember all those wacky smashed rock areas around Soorec's area, and the short cut to the cavern? Let's assume that, given enough time and impetus, the grak-grak's will ensure Mr Rock is not going ot your friend for long. You have a tunnel that went right behind you (it' going left to your current;y orientation) that might let you invade the blackskull lair better, or you can rettreat all the way back the way you came, if you are wanting to retrace your steps to either catch up with Westian, or get back ot the cavern to replan. Remember, the cavern is a good short cut to Dolo if you think you need to take the guy out once and for all. Plus might in turn be a good short cut to the main part of the black skulls, where the rest of the soul stone should be.