DM themed play-by-post D&D game : STORY THREAD

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: DM themed play-by-post D&D game : STORY THREAD

Post by ian_scho »

"Petal with ropes? I like it!" Haynuus replied innocently.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"Growlgra?" inquires Ameena, her curiosity's attention suitably attracted by the unfamiliar name. "A friend of yours? Maybe you can tell me about that later. There's so much we all need to talk about!"

OOC - Like Petal, Ameena's equally not too bothered about going back up the ropes. She gets a bonus of about 16 or something when climbing so considering there's gonna be a rope and there's already those spikes stuck in the pit wall I can't see her having too much of a problem ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Long and safe it is!

The group continued, with Deephold obviously uncomfortable. However he bowed to the reassurance of both Petal and Haynuus. Of course, the reassurance at getting out at the end was only part of the issue. The fact that the Chaos blasted region was just as unpleasant going through to the other side was another consideration. Still, at least they knew when it would end, and that it would be safe.

It was a strange distortion of time to walk in reverse, and then end seemed packed with the dangers and weirdnesses that they had mostly associated with the whole trip.

A swan-thing drifted along the main river, trailing them as if to ensure they left. It moved gracefully, flowing with the river's direction. In fact, it probably had to stop itself from moving too fast.

Still, before the Chaos area ended, the swan-thing seemed to react, as if something unpleasant was in its face. It moved a long neck left and right, and then turned, moving away and giving the party one last baleful look over its shoulder.

Shortly thereafter, once the discordant song, unpleasant smells, and general strangeness of the chaos region was finally left, the party saw possibly the reason for the swan's behaviour. Possibly.

The pit pening was still visible, if you knew where to look for it. The rope still dangled down, in way. However, the rope danced on invisible strings, swaying backwards and forwards. Although the area seemed calm and empty, there was obviously something powerful and invisible sweeping around in a perfect circle in that area.

It was obvious because the river, as if by magic, had a perfect circle bank to bank cut out of it. Water came in, and was sprayed out the other side. The ford was perfectly visible niow, a set of blown dry rocks.

And we'll leave it there!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena stares in fascination at this new example of something strange that she's never seen before. Realising that whatever it is, it might be harmful, she edges slightly cnoser and leans forward, sniffing interestedly at the air and looking all around to try and see whether she can make out the source of this odd circle of...of...whatever it is. Could it be the Element of Air, blowing the water aside like this?

OOC - I'm figuring the effect is possibly magical but as I obviously don't have Arcana (or whatever the 3.5 equivalent is) I shall just stick with a more mundane Perception check to see what this new weirdness is :D...15 (4+11). Hrmm, okay, maybe Ameena's too busy going "Ooooh - thingy!" to properly concentrate on what's causing it ;).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"Oh your Butterfly must have been busy while we've been away." whispers Haynuus to Ameena.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena looks uncomprehendingly at Haynuus, not understanding what it is he's referring to.
"Butterfly?" she asks. "What's that? I don't have anything that can do something like this..."
She gestures to the strange area of movement.
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Ameena asks Petal about Growlgra, and the pixie stops dead in midair as if struck. Then she buries her face in her hands for a few seconds, as if trying to control herself. When she looks up, her green and orange-flecked white eyes are sparkling with tears. She composes herself, and continues on, saying nothing.

The party makes it t the edge of the pit opening and sees the odd swirling circle. Petal frowns and peers at it. "And this is what?" she murmurs. She cautiously flies closer to it, landing if the air currents become too strong. When she is close enough, she holds out her hand as if trying to touch it and closes her eyes to will her second sight to open.

Burn a 0 level to 'read' the effects. She will get as close as is safe to get an accurate reading.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"I assumed that this was from an air elemental." Haynuus replies, recalling how those beings might react. "I wouldn't get too close to it though... Maybe you could talk to it, hmmm?"

OOC - Perception check (1d20+2=13)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena might not have understtod that Haynuus was refereing to the petal dancer that had been her friend in the reciprocal part of the trip they had just taken, however the column reacted to it. Haynuus didn't quite understand what was happpening, as the noise of the whipping wind was interfering with whatever it was the circlet on his head was trying to whisper to him. Ameena recognised a very, very faint whispering in her own ears, as she had heard in the caverns when dealing with the air elementals. However, she could not really hear what it was saying. All she could realise was that the colum shiofted at the top, and the rope that had been bouncing around by the pit slowled down without the river's open ring becoming any wetter. AS if the colum was bending down to 'look' at the group.

However, Petal was caught offguard. She had been prepared to go to the ground for any chabnging winds, however instead she was struck by this localised force instantly. Amazingly, she was not batted away, instead frozen in place. To be forced to float about the ground outside of her own predictable power was not a pleasant sensation.

Petal had already tried to reach out with her senses and touch the area. Being inside it, she could feel the odd touch of its thoughts. It felt like thinking air, an elemental that she had read about in her fairy stories. There were even small ones that drifted through the forests, at play. They were not like this. This one - or even ones? - seemed large and powerful and terrible. Yet Petal could feel that there was no malice directed at the party. Instead the sensation was loss.

-where is she- came a whipping, flowing voice that reached Ameena, Haynuus and Deephold.

You've attracted its attention. Is this a good thing? Sorry for the delayed/short update. Had a work collegue's going away drinsk thing that went on much longer than expected!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus thought for a moment... Uh oh. Maybe we smacked her, that vegetative dragon thingie.

"Who? Who is she?" maybe his ignorance might help the situation as he still wasn't sure what the thing was referring to.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

At the words of what she's now quite sure is an aspect of Air, Ameena has a sudden thought.
"Do you mean the green petal-dancer?" she asks. "I...don't know. She...disappeared. Well, then she came back, only I'm not sure it was her - she landed on me and something...happened. Everything went strange and I suddenly woke up and I was being held by...by a grak-grak."
She gives a faint shudder at the memory of those horrible clawed hands. She goes on.
"I think...I think Soorec did something to the petal-dancer. I...don't think that was the real one, I mean. I'm sorry, but I really don't know what happened. I was hoping she'd still come back - I thought maybe she'd...found something more interesting than us to look at, or...or something."
She is becoming increasingly aware that perhaps the Air will think that if the petal-dancer is dead (or at least, has been destroyed in some way, since Air isn't really alive, as far as she knows, and so can't truly die) then this was in some way her fault. She hopes the Air won't be angry with her, but quickly adds...
"Soorec is...dead. He was...um...his grak-graks were taken over by...someone, and then they...well, I didn't want to look, but you know...Soorec is much smaller than them, and they have those claws and...and things. They were after us but we closed the door, and then they started trying to bash their way through it. Well, it was a door that looked like a wall, made of stone and all that, so I suppose it might take them a while, but they sounded like they were getting through it rather fast when we left. But I don't suppose they can hurt you - maybe now Soorec's not there any more, you can go and look for the petal-dancer?"
She looks hopefully up in the direction of the Air column, wondering whether she's been saying the right kinds of things and hoping she won't end up getting blown away and flattened against a wall or anything.

Post by raixel »

I too was delayed and was pretty much busy all Fri.

Floating around under the power of something else was not exactly pleasant. After a few tries to get away, Petal gives up that thought and instead focuses her mind on the sentient being.

"We mean you no harm," she thinks at it, while Singing the Song of OH. "Tell us who you have lost."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Petal's reassurances seemed to be sucked in to a void, however upon asking who the pillar had lost, there was an echo around what Ameena had said.

-something to the petal-dancer-

The words sounded like Ameena's reflected back. It seemed to be thrown back towards Haynuus more than anyone else, as if answering his question. Usually the air elementals were playful and not serious, with their own chaotic voices, forms and movements. Could this be their form of rage? Were they combined in a single, terrible purpose, barely able to articulate themselves and forced to capture and throw back the words of others.

Petal could feel that rage, though it was not directed towards the group. However, the group were also - compared to the terrible wind - merely in the way, vaguely recogniseable. It was very possibly that Petal as a curiosity being a child of the air, singing the song of OH, and Ameena's constant commentary, were all that was keeping the air column from carrying onwards.

- we closed the door, we closed the door, we closed the door, we closed the door-

The echo that was not an echo, the sound of Ameena's words, were thrown around faster.

-a door that looked like a wall, made of stone, a door-
-made of stone, a door that looked like a wall, made-
-a wall, made of stone, a door that looked like a wall-

Like a round the first sentence was barely finished before it was repeated a second and third and fourth time. Each time the wind started whipping at the group. Petal started moving, however not under her own volition, pushed back and back.

There was a snap in the air, and Petal was thrown backwards. The water suddenly flowedin the river, thoguh there was something strange about it. There was no sound.

The who place was suddenly silent, dead. There was no movement in the air at all. The party could feel a pressure on them, pushing against Deephold, Haynuus, Helm, Ameena and Petal equally. Opening their mouths, the group each relaised that air was not moving. They could not force the air in to their lungs not strain hard enough to push the dead air out.

- we mean you no harm - quivered the air in each of their ears, and then stopped dead. It sounded like Petal's voice, although very strange and distorted. After all, she had used her mind not vocal cords. It seemed incongruous with the fact that each member of the party was aboutto suffocate.

-Soorec did something to the petal-dancer- quivered Ameena's voice briefly in their ears, louder and more painful. Again, the dead silence.

-you can go and look for the petal-dancer- exploded Ameena's voice in everyone's ears, making them ring.

Yeah, pissed off air elementals, not thinking about poor material plane dwellers. No pressure, you're probably there with what you need to do. Just need to bring it home before they kill you out out of hand in their anger! :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As the air itself stops moving around her, Ameena tries to stop herself from panicking at the sudden horrific inability to breathe. She stands upright, gesticulating frantically with her forepaws, moving them toward and away from her mouth to try and indicate that she needs the Air to move again so that she can breathe. She cringes when the voices yell into her ear but is mainly focused on not collapsing and writhing about on the ground in panic.

Post by raixel »

Petal struggles ineffectually, trying to look at her companions for help. She wants to scream, to yell. But she can't. She can't even Sing. And if she couldn't Sing, how could she speak to the elementals? What did they want anyway? Why were they so mad over a butterfly?

In the grip of terror at the loss of the element that was an inborn part of her, she could hardly think beyond those three racing thoughts. She closes her eyes, trying to focus her will and get her racing heart under control. WILL (1d20+6=24) It works, and her mind stops spinning out of control.

"Let us go! We are dying!"
she thinks angrily at the air-beings. "We need to breathe! You will not force us into an action by killing us!"
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Will nudge you guys on, sorry Ian! I'm sure Haynuus was mugging perfectly, or was assuming his thick tongue had got stuck again. Or was maybe recalling the lake from earlier :(

There is a feeling of greater pressure on all the group. And then Petal's words and seem to an effect, of Ameena's gestures did.

The air moved one more, calmly. With deep breaths, everyone could again move.

And then

- we mean you no harm -
-you can go and look for the petal-dancer-

repeats in everyone's heads, insistant whispers. The air feels like water, perfectly breatheable, yet bouyant. Everyone can perhaps feel as Petal feels, their limbs sudden'y weightless, an odd feeling as if they would float away. Deephold and Haynuus realise their heavy armour is as light as a feather.

The air laps at then like churned water, bobbing and swaying.

- we mean you no harm -
-you can go and look for the petal-dancer-

One seems to be a reassurance. The other almost spoken quizzically.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena gasps in relief as the air flows once more. Then she looks around and addresses the Air, trying to use terms it might understand.
"I want to." she says. "But there are creatures back there - they were alive, but they're not any more. They're made from dead things and they're very very bad - they can kill us easily and they're very angry right now - they were controlled by someone, Soorec. But he's dead now, so there's no-one controlling them so they 've just...they go a bit...I mean, they just try to destroy everything. You know how strong rock is, yes? We're much weaker than rock. There was the rock wall-door I mentioned - the grak-graks were destroying it easily, with their big claws."
She hold sout her paws and opens and closes them, making clawing, grasping motions as though miming the strikes she imagines the grak-graks were probably making to tear through stone the way they did.
"But you're not made of solid things the way we are." she goes on. "Maybe you could...check? Can you tell us where the petal-dancer is? Which direction, maybe? If she's made of you, that is. We don't want to go near the grak-graks because they'll tear us into tiny bits and then we'll be dead and we won't be able to help you at all, or anyone else. I don't know what Soorec will have done to her - he had a room with many things in, all over the place. I wouldn't know where to start looking - I think he's got lots of rooms, and they've probably all got lots of things in. And there are lots of grak-graks. Can you do anything to help us get past them? They're too strong for us, you see. If they catch us, we won't be able to find the petal-dancer."
She stops there, hoping she's emphasised enough that going back the way they've just come would be a bad thing, but also that she really does want to get the petal-dancer back. Which she does, of course, having thought of the little creature as a new friend. She hopes the little winged one isn't trapped in some kind of horrible magical cage somewhere, and wonders whether she should have spared the time to look while the group was still in Soorec's room. But she'd been thinking too much about the Soulstone...about what she was supposed to do.
Has this place changed her that much that she'll put the value of an object over that of a friend?
But then, if they don't find all of the Stone, the world wil be destroyed and she won't have any friends left to lose...

Post by raixel »

Petal collapses on the ground in relief, drawing air into her pained lungs. When she feels like she isnt going to die anymore, she stands and beats her wings experimentally.

Sensing that the air will hold her weight, she takes off and hovers her customary few feet off the ground. She listens to Ameena talk to the elementals, aware that the mercurial beings could become angry in a heartbeat, as is their constantly shifting nature. But the murafu is a gentle spirit, and perhaps the best spokesman for the group. Petal realizes Ameena has had the most contact with the thing she calls 'petal-dancer', and Petal knows in Sylvan as 'VI'a'thalil', literally the 'living-leaf'.

So, the pixie watches warily, mentally prepared to call up the desolation within herself, the pain of watching her village die, and shape it into a form to strike the elemental being if it appears to want to hurt her murafu-friend.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Oh goody. An air elemental as if it comes directly from The Predator film!

"Ehmmm, do you think we locked the petal dancer behind us in the door? Ameena was scampering around the room rather quickly and then scampered out at very short notice." Most impolite, then went through his mind as she probably had the thing sitting on her shoulder or something and then it'd fallen off.

"Of course we are running away from those horrible undead things..." his voice trails away trying to do the math as to whether they would survive such an encounter. Maybe two max, maybe if they were clever, and maybe if Deephold could do some Great Godly strikes into their being. All in all. Things looked bleak as he'd nearly suffocated moments earlier, mentally assaulted before that and then there are those claws that seem to want both living and deceased flesh.

He takes a moment to shift Helm across his shoulder and then makes his decision.

"Arse. It wants us to go back for it."
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - We can't have "locked the petal-dancer behind us in the door", considering no-one's seen said butterfly since...hmm, maybe some time around the vine-dragon fight. Remember? It had disappeared for a while and then came back, only presumably that was a copy rather than the real thing as it landed on Ameena causing her to disappear, then you came across her again in the arms of a grak-grak in the company of Soorec, who more or less stated that he'd definitely done something to the real butterfly. But we don't know what and now the Air Elementals want us to go back to the room of at-least-four-uncontrolled-grak-graks to have a look. Um.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Maybe they just want directions?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The air started whipping aorund from various directions. Petal's aim was at the area in front of Ameena, as many gusts seem to brush passed her, but then Haynuus spoke up too, and he too started receiving similar attention. Deephold gripped his mace and squared off himself, perhaps thinking too that something might need to be done beyond non-violent confrontation.

- but there are creatures back there -
- there was the rock wall-door -
- Maybe you could...check? -

The words reflected back seemed to be questions and comment,s it was not clear if they were directed at Ameena or being bouned aroudn those who took an interest in her speech.

- do you think we locked the petal dancer behind us in the door? =
- we are running away from those horrible undead things - "

The words were buffetted around Haynuus. The winds whipping. And then the words buffetted between Ameena and Haynuus, swirling aroudn and around.

And then, there was a feeeling as if the air was being sucked out of the area, though it was not. Instead, it was a word said loudly, somehow spoken while inhaling.

- SCENT! -

And then the air blew passed the party, and seemed emptier. Well, emptier except for the lone region that still shifted, and had the vague profile of a person when the group focused their attention on it.

- we mean you no harm, we see you have not found your friends - came the voice, finally it sounded once more as the air elemental had sounded in the cavern. It was, most likely, the same spokesman that had occasionally interacted with the group. - the petal-dancer is precious to us, she is both our charge and our gift from the master of this place -

There was a brief stir in the air. Some emotion was driftign through the creature. - If she lives behind stone, we will find her. You do not need to take us there. No, something is happening in the cavern. She has knolwledge that could help. We are...uncertain. And then we find she has gone, not connected to us through the halls and ways. Forgive our anger. We are not used to possessing, we are not used to loss. But we will find if she lives. No, we need you -

The air elemental then oves closer to the party. - we have found you again, dwellers of earth but touchers of air. Water is concerned, but water is weakened now. Something happens in the cavern. We are left to be the judge. We have not the knowledge, it flits and flies as knowledge and form always must. You are solid, and you have the knowledge too. It is good I found you. You must come back to the cavern -

Concerning the butteryfly being captured and back in the room, Why can't you have locked it in the room behind you? It can't have gone far before Soorec captured it, after all... and you didn't look aroudn the room at all. If it wasn't dead, it could have easily been trapped in something. And then discarded when it servd its purpose (or been something in Soorec's possession) after all. And Soorec's body, and discarded object piles, were all in the room...

Anyway, as you might notice, doens't matter. The air elementals - being air like - in this place also can follow scents as well as other senses. Why do you think they were searchign the river? They were looking for where your trail seemed to have ended. They might have found it again if they weren't so angry and focused :D

So, will you follow the air elemental? Will you point out about the pit and see if he can help you grounded people out? Or will you just start blasting? :p
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - A scratchy head moment.

Haynuus was somewhat relieved to hear that they didn't need to return to the grak-grak's domain. "Good, yes, I say we should return to the cavern as well. What a great plan." His nerves were showing in his speech now. "We should get away from here as fast as possible, as suggested, as is a good plan." The fact was that he'd have loved to find out if Westian had gotten back to behind the waterfall as well. The original plan as agreed, albeit Haynuus wasn't supposed to be carrying a corpse over his shoulder. It was an added bonus that they would be heading in the opposite direction to those grak-graks and that twisted elf guy.

"Shall we return then? But at great haste!"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena looks over at the figure of Air.
"We were returning to the cavern anyway." she says, then pauses. When she speaks again, she is somewhat hesitant.
"Do you...happen to know of any place nearby where...where spirits can be put back into their bodies?" she asks. "It would look like...like a kind of stone table, or shelf, with the symbol of Water on it - two wavy lines. There's our friend here, you see..."
She gestures and looks meaningfully over at the sad dangling body of Helm, still draped over Haynuus's shoulder.

Post by raixel »

As Ameena talks about bringing Helm back to life, a flicker of disgust passes across Petal's face. The very idea of the casual way these beings talked about bringing the dead to life troubled her. And who knows what the elemental would think of it, or if a creature such as that could even understand the concept. But art least the creature wasnt angry anymore. For now, anyway.

"Scout, I will." the pixie say brusquely, obviously wishing to not be privy to the conversation of bringing the dead back. Stealthily, she flies to the top of the it and looks around, alert for anything that seems different tahn the last time the party passed this way.

Percept/stealth (1d20+5=18, 1d20+9=26)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The air thickened for a moment as Petal tried to get passed, however then it restored itself and she slipped back up. Petal was able to fly all the way to the top, and saw nothing around. The corridor went one way, with the lever that opened and closed the pit, and carried on backwards to where the cavern would be. There seemed to be no noise,nothing else around, and yet hersenses prckled.

It was not like the Chaos twisted lands. not the same flavour at all. And yet something also unnatural was pulling at her sorceress senses. Flavour. It was like she could taste the song of whatever it was. Smell the sight of it. Her ears felt a physical pressure. Coming from where they had left. What was it the air elemental was worried over? What was it they wished answers on?

Back down by the river, Deephold stirred. "So how do we get back up?" he asked, nodding in agreements with Ameena that the group were heading back anyway. Deephold was obviously just as curious regarding the knowledge of the air elementals.

- yes, haste, haste is good - , came the whisper of the air elemental, echoing Haynuuses comments. -water knows of the places of stone that bear its mark. Speak to water -

In reply to Deephold's comment, the air elemental comments, - lift you up, I can - . Deephold's eyes seemed to go wide. Despite his discomfort with climbing up, apparently the thought of floating as Petal did - if that was what was on offer - was terrifying.

I'll let you ask the air elemental more quetsions, and also decide if you want to help out poor Deephold, or just leave him to the merceies of an air elemental!

Since you've chosen to go back to the cavern, then I want to put the metagame thing out there - I'm going to join you back with Westian and co. :D So excuse a little bit of finessing as I try to get your guys together. At the moment, I can't really time jump you guys, until I've time jumped them. That wil be in an update or so, so basically you guys get the blow by blow travelling :D But also get the chance to prepare yourself for what the matter might be!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena wonders whether Petal is upset about something from the rather abrupt way the pixie suddenly excuses herself from the group. She has no time to ask before her latest friend disappears back up the pit, and anyway becomes suddenly distracted as the Air speaks to Deephold.
Her ears prick up and she stands upright, nose quivering.
"You can...make us fly?" she asks. "I mean, like flying. Moving through the air. Can I try? I don't mind. It sounds like it might be fun. Being carried through the air but not by something with claws that's going to eat me. I'd love to try!"
She is getting more excited as she speaks, whiskers twitching all over the place, ears up and forward, forepaws waving slightly as she tries not to fall back down onto all-fours in her enthusiasm.

OOC - Ameena is basically doing the murafu equivalent of a small child jumping up and down, waving their arm in the air, and yelling "Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me!" :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I noticed :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus casts a glance across to an excitable Ameena, then the horrified Deephold. "Yes, it would be better to take Ameena up first as she is both lighter and will always land on her feet after a fa... Oh never mind Deephold. You can see how safe it is if you let her go first." The half-orc shifts his back pack to wearing it back to front, with his arms wrapped around it. He just didn't want it's contents pulled out in some vortex to be smashed against a wall.

"I think we're ready to go on then." he says to the elemental.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Petal flies back down to the party, relieved they have stopped talking about such a distasteful subject. She flies over to Deephold and chuckls at the scared look on his face.

"Wrong is something? she asks, still grinning, then frowns and looks serious. "A question I have for you. Sense you can, something back, from come the way did we? A feeling I got, when looked I did. Back thee is something, unnatural it is."

She looks at the main group. 'Quietly we should go, quckly. Back there something is. A feeling, I got." she says. Motioning to the elemental, she Sings the rune OH, then asks "What I sense, is the thing worried you it makes?"