Ameena's hidden OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: OOC thread

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, exactly, that's why sometimes sharing metagame knowledge is good, it stops the reverse metagame stuff. Certainly in a game this length, where stuff can pay off months later not hours later, it's hard to keep it all together at times :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

But that "reverse-metagame" was for something my character should have known. In fact, she did know it - she just said the wrong thing because I forgot. In this case, Ameena defeinitely knows/remembers stuff that the others don't just yet. I don't want to spill everything on the whole time travel aspect and all that because that would just spoil it - I prefer people to find stuff out in character - then it can be included in an OOC post/list of stuff that everyone knows.
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Regarding Falkor's latest IC post - unless it's triggered a Will save, I'll have Ameena have only vague memories of encountering such creatures during the First Run (nothing specific, just vague mental images triggered by the names mentioned). I presume falkor meant "trolls" rather than "orcs". Maybe I should point that out (in case it was a genuine OOC mistake), or maybe Falkor did just forget ;).
Anyway, I'll hold off replying till I know whether Ameena's memory is affected. I would imagine not, though, since everything Falkor mentioned (umm, well, except orcs...) are things that the party would surely have encountered in the dungeon anyway, first time around. But let me know, just in case ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Feel free to still have Ameena too woosy to recall the wasps (Which yeah, there could well have been), and also too woosy to recall the trolins and mummies clearly, just that they existed.

Feel free to say 'hmm, well I've seen rats and smelt a worm recently, not sure about the wasps..rings a bell... fel freet to havbe the oitus (FR not SR), worms, scoprions, trolins, and mummies all as vague recollections...'
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okay that was about what I was going to do - I figure that they would have met all these creatures at some point during the First Run, so a mention of them might vaguely jog Ameena's memory to the extent that they sound familiar even if she can't picture them or remember any specific incidents involving them.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Teehee, I threw the Helm thing at you, but then kinda distracted everyone else from it :D

Ok, Ameena might recognise Theron alone, or she might go a little odd cause Theron/Grey Lord/Gholst and Lord Chaos all come at her at once.

Can you guess what d20 roll I want you to make? :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe...assuming I guess right, Will save = 12 (10+2). Hmm...probably not enough to fully remember something important (or avoid remembering something mind-smegging). For the moment, my plan is to have Ameena recognise Theron and probably be scared of him (either remembering that he turned into the uber-bad-guy somehow, or at least that he was present at the final confrontation and had something to do with some kind of bad thing that happened). That Westy has yelled Theron's name should jog the memory a bit better, I hope, but as no-one has also mentioned Gholst, I suppose she may not recall the link between the two. If there is any chance that she may both realise what Theron/Gholst is doing to Falkor, and that distracting a spellcaster can stop a spell's effects, she might just do something potentially fatal and attempt to physically distract said spellcaster by throwing herself at him.
But I'll hold off posting for now till I know what memories I have to play around with :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

even with a +2 for westian yelling theron's name, a middling roll so ameena basically recalls what you said at first there
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okay, so just that he was somehow involved in the confrontation right before the other mage threw them all across the room and caused the group to separate, but no specific memories as to what he did or whether he was one of the "bad guys" or "good guys"?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

something like that!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, I think I'm going ot reveal you are the real you tonight. Sorry, can't find any 'wham bam' way of reintroducing you - then again, Ameena standing up to Theron was pretty cool. Especially when you see what that was parallel with :D

You ok with that?

Still feel free to use this forum for spoilerific character thoughts and questions.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

How do you plan on revealing it? Is there a way to do it IC without just metagaming it? I was hoping to keep it going a bit longer, really just till Ameena's had a chance to tell everyone what's happened from her PoV. Then I'll have nothing to hide in my IC posts and can finally revert to posting properly in the main IC thread.
I think there are several reasons why Ameena stepped between Falkor and Theron like that. I could try to describe them if you're interested. I dunno how close to Falkor the Scorpy was when it got nuked but hopefully Ameena can be standing just out of reach of Falkor but still not be stepping in the ickiness ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's the trouble with letting you guys dictate alot of the action and having your actions matter - your actions matter! Makes it much harder to actually do anything planned without a little bit of DM fiat.

I think the fact Ameena dashed in to save the day kinda works nicely.

Also, if LB had actually posted in the last few days, or if his last move had been a detect evil rather than a sense motive, Ameena would have been revealed as not evil pretty quickly anyway.

I'm all ears on how to pay off the secrecy in an interesting way.

I thin kthe future thing is goign to be one of the few big mysteries that will carry on for a while, therefore keeping Ameena's thoughts completely out of view is goign to be a constant thing, and a little weird. Now you guys are together, I want to start runnign you as a proper group again as much as possible so you can sorta figure stuff out together.

And I am very eager to straighten alot of confusion and hidden stuff out - after six months of busy people, I thin kwe need to have the plot and mysteries very clearly defined now. You're probably paying the most attention to log everything, and you can't keep it straight! It's time for some PC hivemind. I want to straighten the rest of the stuff out (stuff you might not fully realise/know either) , then concentrate on the future reveal stuff, and then on to the fun end :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I was wanting to just get to the part where everyone finally has a bit of a breather, some rest time, and time to talk about wtf is going on. Then Ameena can relate her (somewhat hazy) memories of what's been happening - she's sort of done so a bit already, but she's only given vague details, mainly because of the presence of Soorec - once the group can deal with/get away from him, she'll be happier to talk. Well, mostly - stuff like Aurek will need to be dealt with. She thinks he's one of the blackskull soldiers right now.
I think one problem may be that she hasn't had a chance to really talk to the group right now - I mean, one of the first things she'll want to ask will be along the lines of "So, what happened to each of you after we got separated, and how did you all get back together again?", followed shortly after by questions regarding where they reunited with Farel and Ardur, and what this strange black-armoured human is doing travelling with them. I think the first question by itself will be a bit of a bombshell, since no-one else knows about the party split, do they? Unless anyone else has had any dreams/visions/memories via PM.
I was thinking that maybe the Soorec encounter might be nearing its end, but now Theron has turned up I wonder what will happen next. It will probably be interesting to see how everyone responds, plus how Ameena reacts with her different set of memories. I mean, someone might say something (and I might actually roll a decent Will save) which triggers a clearer memory of what happened. Plus she needs to get healed at some point so she can realise her foreleg still hurts, and then maybe some questions will be raised about that if she draws any attention to it.
If this was a tabletop RPG, this whole scene would have probably taken about 5-10 minutes so far, lol. That is, from the point at which Ameena entered. Not the whole scene within Soorec's lab. That would have taken longer :).
You mentioned wanting a PC hivemind - well, we can't really have one right now while one of the characters is running off an entirely different set of memories to the others. Once they can put their knowledge together, they can all find out what they each know and go from there.
Like I said before, if you plan on just revealing that Ameena is the real thing, how would you do that? Just announcing it OOC might result in people playing their characters differently because they know they don't need to be so cautious, or whatever. And I'm not sure how you could do it IC because Ameena's the only one here from the alternate time frame. Well, I mean, the only one who's here and curently remembers any of it. None of the NPCs do, so you can't really have them make the revelation.
Anyway, I want to see how Theron reacts to this little rattish-looking critter stepping between his (err, Gholst's?) finger and his target. Maybe she'll start getting petrified herself. Ouch :(. But she'll have saved Falkor, which was sort of her aim. Well, that wasn't the only reason she did it, but it was one of the main ones, her being a murafu and all :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, if this was a tabletop everyone would have still taken ages - just hours instead of over a month. Sorry, just spotted the 'since Ameena entered' bit. That still would have been half an hour easily instead of a few weeks.

The quiet time is ok in theory, but again it's very hard to clear decks like that. Remember, I really tried to do that after the soldier fight, but then Ameena freaked out and that whole resolution actually stopped the breather/figuring out what was going on then. There's always goign to be something that intrudes on the time liek that.

Technically speaking, I tried to put the party into an unwinnable fight to provoke some discussion this time, and instead everyone chose to go in swinging. IF I dropped the party into a pit, or actually had them 'killed' and wake up in a cell, that would be a time to reflect, but I bet everyonme would be focused on escaping instead.

You might want there to be a blissful 'we're safe now, let's rest' pause so everyone can roleplay questions, but a) that kills the pace - I mean dead. It's hard to maintain urgency in a normal posting schedule. And b) there's never a truly calm time. If there is, peopel still want to explore and add complications anyway.

So really, Ameena needs to figure out either how to speak to her companions infront of Soorec without him knowing what she's saying, needs to pull at least one person - away to speak to alone, or perhaps needs to figure out how to get rid of Soorec so she can hold a discussion while people ransack the room/run/etc.

Anyway, you worry too much about people 'not playign their characters' if they know things. That's the point of roleplaying. Like I said, OB and money already did that for ian and LB, not wantign to reveal the plans to the other two. Those two players just had a trap explode on them that the two other players knew full well about. They might have liked to have a say in that! They might have also had fun roleplaying blissfully ignorant characters in that situation.

Similarly, not revealing you are playing your own character might mean people aren't bothering to roleplay since they are playign a metagame 'wait and see', whereas if they knew you were you, they might get their teeth into some healthy mistrust, know you guys can work thigns out OOC.

If someone metagames their character too much, I will call them on it. That's my job.

Anyway, I have no idea exactly how to reveal the Ameena thing - probably OOC, since IC Haynuus has accepted you, OOC OB pretty much accepts you anyway, I think money does while Flakor doens't, and LB has a 6 second way of finding out through Aurek.

Damn, I need to go to bed, as in job-important not just 'haha, I'll be tired tomorrow' need.

Umm, anyway, answer questions tomorrow when not as didstratced. I didn't mention Ameena definitely still being Ameena in the post, just hinted at it as before. Figure it out later!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, we can work on it. I figured we are gonna need some kind of downtime, 'cause characters are gonna need to sleep, at least. Alright so Ameena's feeling really quite knackered right now (apart from her most recent adrenaline rush which was caused by the arrival of Theron and his actions), but I imagine she'd still have the energy to discuss the situation a little bit before conking out. I don't know how the other characters are doing - several heal potions were chugged during that last fight so I've sort of lost track of how badly people are hurt. Ameena still needs to check out those two potions she looted, or get someone like Westy to identify them for her. I can't even remember if you said what colour they were. Still, that can wait - I think Ameena probably has more pressing things on her mind right now than what two mysterious potions look like ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well if everyone decided to talk to Soorec, then Ameeena can try and pull people away for a better discussion.

Or, even better, if someone can figure out a third way to incapacitate Soorec then you guys are home free!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I had thought of zapping him with his own wand, but I don't know whether that would count as killing him (if he's been petrified) and set the grak-graks off again.
You can pretty much assume Ameena is constantly attempting to wrack her brains in order to try and remember what the smeg they did with Soroec the first time around in order to put him (and the grak-graks) out of action. Well, alright, maybe not the grak-graks, but in as much as they weren't going all psycho again ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If he can't breathe or think, he's dead.. and there's no bringing him back. Still, if the group can escape the carnage, the soldiers will be on the back foot and be very distracted. It's certainly an option - just not a good one when you were trapped in the room with four of them and two were grappling two of your guys :D

Funny thing about trying to recall how you guys did it the first tie around. As DM, i have no clue. Maybe ask your fellow players the hypothetical question :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

oops, see you asked this in the main thread too...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Okay, I had wondered whether maybe someone petrified still maintained awareness but couldn't physically move - I've seen it in other stories and stuff. But sometimes, yeah, the person is considered "dead" and can't be "unstoned" in any way because they are completely and utterly stone and can never be reverted to organic form again. So it's the latter in this case then? Bah :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

well, never say never, but you'd have to find a way to destone them, and then all you'd have would be a body...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ahh, so when someone's stone they're not necessarily irrevocably so, but the process of petrification kills them but in this particular universe (or rather, this particular region of this particular universe), death isn't as final as it usually is as long as someone else can locate a Vi altar and then combine the two ;).
Either way, Soorec + Death = Very Bad, therefore should preferably be avoided. Though I suppose if all the grak-graks freaked out and none of them (however many there are) were near the party at the time, they might all end up destroying themselves in various ways first. You know, by attacking stuff which fought back. But then again, if Theon or someone came along they might just rez Soorec again. Maybe he needs to be chopped up into zillions pieces and those pieces destroyed somehow. Or maybe just the bones. Crush them or feed them to stuff, scatter them around so they can't be found, somehow. Or at least, so they can't be found until this whole Gholst/Theron thing has bene sorted out ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, though obviously the spirit needs to still be around and willing...

And lol, maybe you just need Falkor to go invisible, then sneak attack Soorec with the wand. I don't know if money picked up on the fact Theron just gave him the power word to activate it....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Also, you do know you haven't post an IC post, right?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Erm, oops, no I haven't posted since your last update, have I? Well, I'll see what everyone else has put and add in something or other. I'll have to see whether anyone's addressed Ameena in any way since I last checked this morning. If no-one has then I'll just erm...make something up, lol.
Bleh, it's Friday and I've been doing extra hours this week, plus i just ate lots of food so I;m sort of a bit "Bleerrgggh" right now :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, then don't read the main thread, I just put up a monster of an update.

Soorec briefly acknowledged Ameena, everyone else has been too busy fiddling with their wand, licking things they shouldn't, detecting evil, or trying to threaten Soorec!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Heh yeah, I've just read it now. If murafu could feel anger, Ameena would certainly be doing so now. As it is, they don't really tend to get pissed off, as such. But hmm...Soorec the little stumpy bastard really does need dealing with. Somehow. Arr :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, why? Seems such a decent proposal - Falkor death notwithstanding, and look at it from the gnome's point of view! His boss wants Falkor dead, and because of bad communication Falkor's been nothing but a pain to bring back alive up until this moment in time :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol oh yeah, the whole "oh btw I'm gonna kill the halfling" thing, as well as the "I shall keep your half-orc and rattish creature" etc, as though they somehow belong to Westian. Oooh, that kind of thing doesn't go down well with murafu...oh, and plus there's the whole, "Hey, you party of friends, I'm gonna get you to split up now". Again, not the best suggestion to make when those friends have a murafu among their number ;).