Ameena's BIG (and last?) adventure!

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Ameena's BIG (and last?) adventure!

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Ohh, I missed the bit about him falling over...think I read that part too quickly, plus it was quite late. You want me to edit that post (the one after Helm falling over) or shall I sort of retcon it in my next reply?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Your call!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The shuffling noise of the two creatures that had attacked faded a little, as if they had moved away. However, there was the louder shuffling of something larger. Ameena could feel...something ... looming infront of her. There was a tinkle right by Ameena as something moved right beside her.

Suddenly, Ameena felt strange little 'hands', more like short spiny claws, grasp her. They felt tiny, and yet she was lifted up what felt like her height again quite easily by something. The smell of mold and mustiness was overpowering... along with some other very organic and animal smell. This was definitely some bigger version of the same things that had attacked her.

Sorry, since I know your stats, I know that Ameena can't beat the current attack and grapple rolls that grabbed her. Of course, that doens't mean she can't do a variety of things to react or get free now it's her turn :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - I'll umm...add in the falling-on-the-floor thing now, I think...Ameena didn't do much after she dislodged the creature so I suppose this can be a sort of retcon of the previous post anyway ;).

BIC - As Helm goes down, Ameena tumbles off him. She lands on the ground relatively unscathed, able to sort of leap down from him as he falls and thereby land more or less on her feet (all four of them). It sounds as though the creatures are moving off...at least, the smaller ones are. Then she hears something right by her and before she can react she finds herself picked up by...something. She gives a sort of squeak of surprise and starts to wriggle around, having no idea as to whether the creature that's holding her is hostile or not.
"Umm...I'd appreciate if you'd put me down..." she half-stammers, really hoping that this creature isn't hostile and has at least some understanding of what she's saying.
She has a sudden vague sort of flashback to what the human soldier Passin mentioned about "pets" of the mage everyone seemed to be looking for, and hopes these creatures are somethng else. otherwise, she figures, she and Helm are probably unlikely to even get out of this room...

OOC - How many "tiny hands" have grabbed her, where abouts are they gripping her, and are they doing it gently? And how tiny is tiny? Are we talking smaller than her own paws, which aren't exactly huge?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

See OOC thread for more description, sorry, I guess in the rush I didn't actually write the number of 'hands' like I meant to

The creature does not grip her gently, and she is shaken as if a rag doll so her last words come out in a wobbly jumble. However, no further attack is forthcoming, and Ameena is simply held aloft in space as the world holds its breath.

Although, of course, Helm can still be heard frantically scrambling against the wall.

CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK

The loud noise echoes around the chamber. It is the iron grate, finally freed - probably by Helm.

"I...I...Ameena?" comes Helm's voice, and Ameena can hear some half-hearted scrambling though the man obviously hasn't gone far, as if uncertain what direction to move. Helm would have surely heard Ameena's garbled words and known something wasn't right.

However, at the clanking noise there is a screech from the creature holding Ameena. The murafu is unceremoniously dropped to the ground, and the thing that held her feels as if it has scuttled sideways closer to the noise of the grate.

Heh, sometimes innaction is the best method... or maybe you did reason with it. Who knows? Oh, that's right, me :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena lands with a thud (OOC - No fall damage?) and somewhat awkwardly gets to her feet. She gives herself a shake and somewhat dazedly turns round to try and find Helm.
"Be...be careful." she manages to say. "That...larger creature just picked me up, then dropped me again when you opened the door."
She has no idea whether the creature understood her words when it was holding her, or whether it only dropped her because it decided the opening of the door was of more importance. Either way, the creature, hopefully, doesn't consider her to be much of a threat.
"Umm...creature?" she calls, somewhat tentatively. "I'm sorry, I can't see you - I don't even know whether you're male or female, or whether you can understand me. We're just trying to get out of here - if this is your territory, we're trying to leave it!"
She moves forward as quickly as she can in the direction of Helm, moving her head this way and that to try and find him with her whiskers.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Helm jumped but then realised it was just Ameena. "Where is it?" he hissed as quietly as possible, "Can..can we make it to the door?"

There was no further sound of movement from the creature, nor any real answer to Ameena's comments.

Ball's in your court - should you risk running, or stay where you are?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"I don't know, but it sounded like it was moving toward the door." replies Ameena, having by now managed to find one of Helm's legs - she stays close enough to maintain whisker-touch but moves forward a little to sniff in the direction of the door.
"I don't think we'll gain anything by just sitting here." she says. "I think...I think we'd better move forward, but be careful. That creature is...big. Well, bigger than me."
She keeps listening for any sign of movement from the creature - perhaps it understands their language, and has been listening to her exchanges with Helm.

OOC - In case a Perception check is necessary to catch any signs of movement from the creature...22 (14+8) :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Helm eagerly takes the lead, moving towards the door. Ameena can feel him physically shaking, it is as if he were falling over himself to get to the door, and just catching himself from doing so each time.

The creature, for the moment, does not seem to be moving, but as the two get closer to where the grate was, there is a high pitched squeal from behind them. Helm panicks, and Ameena loses contact with him as he scrambles aroudn the corner as he can feel it and stumbles onwards.

The creature behind them screeched again, and began shuffling forward a few steps - Ameena could clearly tell it was very close. However, Ameena could swear she could spot Helm's movement ahead. It seemed as if there was some odd thin strip of light coming from....somewhere....up ahead, and Helm was breaking it with him movements.

Ameena's hearing also then heard the small 'snick' of something up ahead. Had Helm stepped on something?

Dun dun dun...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Not wanting to get separated from her friend, Ameena darts forward after Helm as he runs (OOC - ...and triggers the pads in that room, I bet ;)), hoping that she won't be attacked, grabbed, picked up, or otherwise impeded by the creature, wherever it now is.
"Be careful!" she calls, as quietly as she can whilst trying to both run after him and not collide with his legs or get stepped on should he suddenly decide to step backward.

OOC - You know, I hope that if it comes to disarming a trap at some point, it's Ameena who gets in first - I can just see Helm trying it, being spooked by some random noise, triggering the trap in the process and getting the two of them nuked or something ;). Anyway, hopefully they'll get to a safe spot soon (preferably a closed room with light in it somewhere ;)), and then Ameena can give the poor scared human a hug, 'cause I think he needs one ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, that's eaxctly what's going to happen...if lit = not lit, and safe = ... not lit :D

Actually, will update tomorrow, as tired from getting up early :( Sorry!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena scrambled inside, and then hears the CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK of the grate shutting behind them. There is the sound of screeching again, and the sound of scuffling coming from the grate, but it is clearly from the opposite side. For now, the creatures that harrassed Ameena and Helm were on the other side.

There was the sound of relieved laughter, obviously from Helm. It degenerated into a coughing fit, and then Helm settled. "Wait...Ameena? Ameena? Are you alright? It..it didn't hurt you, did it? Since the gate was closed, we should be safe in here."

Helm breathes deeply for a moment in the dark, then apparently he too spots the very thin strip of glowing red in the distance. "Wait, " he hisses quietly, "is..is that light from under the door over there?" A pause. "Did your group leave torches in the room?"

In the quiet, suddenly there was something else. A soft 'screech' that had nothing to do with the creatures behind the two of them. It seemed to be coming from further up ahead. Ameena could already smell that familiar musty smell drifting in the air. Someone in the two chambers that were here, was another one of those creatures!

There we go, one set of dangers navigated, but you are now getting close to the soldiers, and still have an intermediate challenge aswell. Aren't I nice :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Having got through the door, Ameena ensures her tail has definitely accompanied the rest of her all the way through before it shuts. Then she moves over to crouch next to one of Helm's legs, so she can feel him next to her.
"I'm alright..." she says in answer to his question.
At his mention of the light, Ameena looks toward it herself.
"I don't think we left any torches..." she says. "But we were in the middle of the group of soldiers at the time - one of them might have left a torch. Or maybe there's one still there - one of them headed back this way when everyone else was fighting. But I don't know how far he would have got - he might have taken a different path and not got this far."
Feeling suddenly rather hungry, Ameena is about to feel around in her pouches when she feels a slight stab of pain in the back of her neck. Giving her head a quick shake, she remembers that the creature that grabbed her head also bit her.
Then she hears the nearby screeching sound and moves closer against Helm.
"Did you hear that?" she asks in a quiet and somewhat tense voice. "Another one...somewhere nearby."
She reaches up with a forepaw and tugs lightly at his clothing.
"Maybe we should huddle against a wall - that way the creature won't be able to get behind us." she suggests. "And...well, conversation will be easier..."
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Helm might be nodding or not in the darkness, but he then says "Good," and "that's an idea." He must be kneeling down, because his voice then comes from closer to the ground and Ameena can feel him move.

"Can you...can you smell or hear them? Can you tell if they will be close enough? We should slide along the right hand wall - the switch for the door is on the right side." There is some harsh breathing. "We...there's two rooms we have to move around. I wish, I...we really need light. I can't wait to see again!"

There's some shuffling a click, and then some light cursing. "Ameena - don't step on the switches - move straight to the wall. And...and hold onto the leg of my breeches!"

Ok, so unless Ameena has another plan, shuffling around the wall (the 'right' hand side, if the grate is at the back of you) towards the door. Give me a stealth roll, and a perception check if you are moving.

Also, let me know if you want to be doing something different, or how you want to be moving/keeping up with Helm otherwise.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"That sounds like it makes sense." says Ameena. "Umm...maybe I should go first, to feel the way. Here..."
Sh reaches into the pouch containing the length of string that isn't still tied around her middle, and, finding one of his hands in the dark, gives him the end of it.
"I should be able to feel the edges of the umm...stone...step...things...with my whiskers." she says, scooting past him and starting to feel the way forward. She makes sure that she can feel the wall to the right , while her left whiskers do most of the work at covering whatever's on the floor. She moves slowly, once again keeping her ears alert for any noise and her nose constantly sniffing for anything suspicious in the air.

OOC - I think Ameena can safely agree that stepping on the unknown floor pads is probably a bad idea, since she doesn't know what they do. Stealth check = woot! Natural 20! So, 32 (20+12). And Perception = 22 (14+8) :). Because of her size, I think she's unlikely to accidentally step on any of the stones given that she's right up against the wall, if the pads are like those in DM and have remained the big square ones like they are at that point in the actual game ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, she could hazard a guess since the grate fell down when Helm stepped on one :D

And wow, you get a natural twenty...Helm got a natural one! One in 400 change there, very funny Can't link to it, since it also has the descriptions to two other rolls. Not that I made the two other rolls, because I was an idiot of course!

Ameena's senses are particularly accute. Sadly, as Ameena continues on the right wall, the sliver of light disappears as the end up in the corner of the first room. And also, the scents in the air lessen due to the small eddies in these dead spot in the corner. The smell of the creature was getting greater, and then has temporarily lessened - it must be around the next corner.

Unformately, while Ameena's footsteps are completely silent, her breathing shallow and silent, and even the movement of her cape deadened, Helm is not so fortunate. It is as if he has breathed in wrongly, sudden;y he starts coughing heavily, evenough that he obviously doubles up.

"So-" he starts, but then keeps coughing. Ameena hears, someone around the corner, a faint screeching. It is the same sound as the smaller creatures before, although much quieter. Is the blockage of the wall here really making such a difference, or is the creature being quieter for some reason.

It does not matter, for Helm's coughing seems to have started off the larger creature left behind again. It gives it's louder screeching that echoes in the room, and the grate rattles ominously as it appears to be banging into it.

Helm hasn't moved, and is obviously trying to stiffle his cough and making it worse. "Wa- water!" he says through odd half-sneeze sounding coughs.

Seemed the easiest way to map a natural 1! Not a critical fail, just combined with his stealth it was still pretty low.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As Helm starts coughing, Ameena stops and turns back toward him, concerned.
"Are you alright?" she asks.
At his request for water, she pulls out her little bottle and offers it to him - hopefully they'll manage to get out of here before it's all gone - there isn't much in there as it is, the bottle being fairly small, and she knows humans tend to drink much more in one go than murafu.
Remembering in the dark that she needs to find his hand each time she wants to give him something, she does so, feeling about with her whiskers till she finds his free hand and passing the bottle into it.
"Here." she says. "Here's water."
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Helm shakes a little, and takes the offered small flask. He apparently tries to take as little as possible, since there is still some remaining. However, there is not to much. "Sorry," he says finishing with a little gasp, "I think I swallowed something or breathed in wrong. Very nervous. I did not mean to meake such noise. I...I hope no one was around to hear that."

The tow pause, but there seems to be no sounds indicating anything. Of course, in the corner sound would be deadened a little, and the slim line of light under the door cannot be seen - hence no movement around the door visible.

"Perhaps they will think it is the creature," says Helm with what sounds like false levity. The sound of the banging on the grate was getting more intense. "We should probably g- what was that!"

Again there was the quiet sound of squeaking coming from around the corner. Helm bolted upright from the feel of him, though no other movement for now. "Ameena...what is it?" he whispered in terror.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"I don't know." she replies as she returns the water flask to its pouch. "I suppose we'll find out."
She makes sure Helm is holding the string and then starts to edge her way around the room again in the same way as before, intending to stop just before the door and poke her head around to sniff around the bottom of it before any attempt at opening it.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Roll me a perception check!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Perception check = 23 (15+8) :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena carried on around with Helm obviously holding the string tightly, although careful not to pull it. The thin line of light came into view again, and after the total blackness they had previously lived in, it was wonderful for the eye to have something to focus on. For a moment it strobed infront of Ameena's eyes, a shooting horizon when she blinked, but she got used to it.

It barely illuminated anything, especially as her murafu eyes usually took a back seat to her nose in such low light conditions. Still, the faint bumps of stones by the door could be imagined now.

However, Ameena's nose started screaming a warning. The scent of the musty creatures grew stronger again. And as the two moved, there was now very obviously a weak screechng nose coming from the right hand wall, directly in the path they wanted to walk.

This room should have no switches nor other obstructions if the two of them wanted to avoid that area, make straight for the door, then move sideways to find the switch to open the door.

However, Ameena's nose picked up something else in the scent - it reminded her of the taste when she had bitten one earlier. It was a heavier iron scent, like blood. The creature was probably wounded.

There you go, no scrambling noise to say that the screature is moving from where it is, and a strong indication it might be wounded. You can try to avoid it as suggested, or try to find it. More importantly, as you get close to the door and know there are at least torches the other side, what will you do?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As she picks up both the scents and the sounds emanating from the creature just ahead, Ameena couples these with the poundings on the door the entered this room by and comes to what she feels to be the most likely conclusion.
She stops and turns back to tug on Helm's trousers again, gently, to get him to bend down (OOC - To save another post of him just doing that I'll continue under the assumption that he does so I can just post all my ideas in one go). When he does, she rests her forepaws on his arm in order to speak softly into his ear.
"I think that creature up ahead is one of the young ones." she says. "One of those...whatever they are that we just met. I think it might be one of their Young, and that the larger creature is one of the...what's the human word for it...muth...something. Your name for those who give birth to the Young and look after them. I think this young one is hurt - there is the smell of blood."
She pauses a moment, sniffing the air again briefly.
"I'm going to try approaching." she continues. "I want to see if I can help, if that creature is hurt. Could you wait here? I think the Young might get scared if we both go. And you're so much bigger as well..."

OOC - When I got as far as your description of the screeching noise as being "weak", it basically went through my mind that maybe it was a baby one got stuck, in jured, in this room, and that's why the mum is so keen on battering the door down (up till now I had thought it was just 'cause she was a bit moody and wanted to eat Ameena and Helm or whatever). Either this critter got injured during the scuffle that we just got away from, or was injured by the soldiers (or something else) on the other side of the door we're now approaching. Obviously, I currently lack sufficient information in order to draw a conclusion on that point ;). Presumably, though, if we can see the light from the door behind the creature (that is, behind in as much as the creature is between us and the door from our current angle of approach), we can also see some kind of silhouette of the ickle beasty...?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, me, add in a passive little encounter of mother and babies - even if it is a little cliched - for the fuzzle who doens't like combat? Pish and nonsense! Strike it down, now, before it kills you all! It's a trap! :D

Also, Ameena started strongly smelling things once she came through the narrow entrance to this room. The creature sounds like it is on the right hand wall - about half way along - but you guys haven't really kept to the wall enough to get a silouette. The only reason the narrow light form the door is registering so much is due to the total darkness you guys have been in previously. The door is quite a tight fit. So unless the creature got closer, you are basically imagining you can see a shape on that wall. Something roundish. I'd need a good perception roll to actually determine where it is as you get closer.

"A mother and her young?" says Helm, partially incredulous, partial mocking. However, there is then a pause. "It's possible...the creature at the door seems more determined now there is a noise than before when we were easily edible."

Helm seems a little unsure of letting Ameena go. "I...I'll go towards the door. Be...be careful!"

Ok, if you want Ameena to go towards it, let me know exactly how you want to do that, if you want to let Helm move towards the door, and if there is anything you want to get ready first.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena considers for a moment, making a mental note in the process of the word "mother" now that Helm's reminded her of it, but doesn't take her forepaws off Helm's arm.
"Umm...maybe you should stay here a moment." she suggests in an almost apologetic tone, not really wanting to sound as though she's trying to order him about. "If you head toward the door you might step on another of those umm...stone-step things, but if you try to keep close to the wall like we have been, then you'll have to pass close to that creature, and you might appear threatening without meaning to."
She feels around with one paw and finds the hand holding the string.
"I'll put this end of the string back inside my pouch for now." she says. "Maybe...maybe it would be a good idea for you to back off to the corner. We know there's nothing harmful that you might step on because we've just come that way, and you can wait there while I see if there's anything I can do here. If you were to head toward the door, what if you accidentally opened it? This creature might have been injured by whatever's through there..."
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is a pause in the dark, then Helm murmers a quiet 'ok' and appears to head back to the entrance to the room for now.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena puts the end of the string inside one of her pouches again, just leaving the part that's still tied around her waist as before. Then, moving on all-fours, she advances cautiously toward the creature she can sense somewhere ahead, sniffing and listening carefully for any kind of sound or movement.
"Hello..." she tries, speaking softly. "It seems like you're hurt. I don't know if you understand me. I know you might think that I want to hurt you even more, but I don't I don't expect you know much about my species - not many do, but we don't like to hurt others ourselves or see them hurt by anyone or anything. I want to help you, if I can. If that's your Bringer, trying to get through the door, maybe we can get you back to her."
She speaks calmly and softly in the hope that even if the creature can't understand the words, it can understand her tone and through it, something of her intentions. She also continues to move forward a little, but stops a few steps later, not wanting to seem threatening in her advance toward a creature which might not understand her at all and perceive only a threat.

OOC - Perception roll to detect...stuff...from the critter - wheee, 26 (18+8) :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena can start to perceive the general shape of the creature, even in such very poor lighting. Biasing away from it being in her eyes certainly helped. Thus the murafu could spot that at her slow advance, the creature actually swung a leg pitifully in warning and uttered another squeak.

What she could also detect was the very light footsteps of Helm. He was being very quiet, but Ameena could still hear them, and realised he was moving over to the door anyway.

For the moment, he didn;t seem to be disturbing the creature with his movements - as far as she could tell in such restricted lighting, anyway!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Which door is Helm moving toward? The one they were going toward anyway, or the one they came in by? I presume the former...

BIC - Ameena easily notices the movements of Helm, obvious as they are to her senses though she presumes that he probably thinks he's being very quiet. She isn't really sure why he's heading the way he is, since she'd suggested that be retreat to the corner and he'd agreed. This thought causes quite an unpleasant feeling to start making itself known, so she gives her head a little shake and returns her attention to her more immediate concern.
She inches ever so slightly closer to the creature and continues to speak to it, using the same tone as before.
"It's alright." she says. "That's my friend. He won't hurt you. We're just trying to get out of here. However you're hurt, I just want to help. I'm not going to attack you."
She edges closer still, then slowly, very slowly, reaches out one forepaw to gently touch the creature's nearest leg.

OOC - My guess - Ameena manages to convince the critter she's not one of the bad guys just as Helm proves he really is a bit of a doink and opens the door, letting in a bunch of soldiers, at which point it's a toss-up between the creatures helping Ameena (and Helm, hopefully) get away from them, the creatures attacking the soldiers, or both sides attacking anyone who happens not to be on their side ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed, the door with the light behind it.

The creature again swings its leg at Ameena, however it is quite weak and Ameena was able to see it in plenty of time. It does not seem to be agressive, more a defensive swing. However, either way the pointy end Ameena has half-seen would surely hurt if it connected. The creature was not holding back, just unable to attack fast.

Ameena will actually have to make a 'touch attack' to lay a hand on the creature (make an attack against AC10) because of its skittishnes, and may well open herself up for further attacks. Consider this first blow an opportunity attack for Ameena getting so close, so Ameena can now continue to try her reassurance.

And don't judge Helm too harshly. He's been almost suffocated by one of these creatures once, bitten (I think) by another, and Ameena has told him that the third bigger one is intelligent enough to recognise what a door is, and make for it (And him) leaving Ameena to one side.

You can forgive him for not, perhaps, immediately wanting ot be a part of the the 'let's heal one of the creatures that always attack you, then open the door to the big intelligent one that seems really pissed' plan just on your supposition it might be ok :D

If Ameena wants to reassure or ask Helm for his assistance, I think you might need to start rolling some diplomacy checks... at least your perception rolls has let Ameena know Helm might not be exactly on board!

What his actions would be... that possibly depends on Ameena's actions and not the will of a DM looking to have an NPC act stupid right away just to create more tension :D