Character progression

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Character progression

Post by beowuuf »

Of the back of the good/evil depabte, it made me remember I also wanted to post about where your characters are, and are headed :)

Nothing to do with me and my plans, this is just your occasional reminder from your DM to keep in mind where you think your characters might end up in terms of their personal development!

After five months (well, less for LB, but not that much less), you guys have a handle on your characters as they are. Obviously, some have interesting character things already happeneing to them - Haynuus has his brutal past as opposed to his current 'mission from God', Falkor obviously got a little odd situation when he was forced to take the initiative against the soldiers, and Ameena had her minor breakdown due to being in this situation (is she still alive, whoooooooooo knows).

The point is, now is certainly a good time to take stock of the character you have - you should have gone from discovering them to having them formed in your mind. Now is a good time to think to what their current direction and reactions will mean if it goes unchecked. Is your character going to get more compassionate, less? More sure of themselves, or more sure they need to change their direction? Also start thinking on what events might knock them from this path. Or what events might accelerate them on it.

If, as players, you would like something to happen in the story to meet these goals, yell!

Obviously, some of the best situations so far have organically happened without me at all, they have simply come from your guys interacting and reacting to each other. Don't be afraid to point out some meta-game OOC information to your fellow players, so they will be able to spot anything your character is starting to do and flow with it.

I might post again saying where I think all your characters are, jsut so you can steer me right if I've missed something or if there are certain areas you would rather I didn't follow in relation to your character.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Character progression

Post by Ameena »

Well, (assuming she's still alive) I think not leaving Ameena on her own would be a good idea if you want her to retain any semblance of sanity in this horrible scary dungeon ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, that's not progression! What's she learned with all the scary stuff? After her months of therapy, how will she have changed :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Listening to a podcast (New World Campaign) makes me realise how difficult it is to roleplay well. They're constantly trying to define themselves as characters who follow a belief or philosophy yet it's difficult not to become *ssh*les to other NPCs by doing so.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I think a break, a chance to eat, drink, sleep, and a very long friendly conversation will help Ameena a great deal. Unfortunately that's probably not very likely to happen. She hasn't really had a major chance to sit down and try to get her head around the whole situation yet (which may actually be a good thing...), what with monsters or soldiers showing up, or other people announcing that they want to move on and kill something/look for someone/eat their earwax ;).
I suppose any major effects of her situation will kick in when/if she gets enough thinking time, in a place she knows to be safe and can sit down for a bit of a rest. So, umm, not likely to happen while she's still in the dungeon then ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well, you've already got that here - Ameena and money roleplayed their sides well, and their characters have had a major falling out and been shaken :D

I love in the NWC how many bargains, etc get struck with the various NPC groups. The DM is really good at ensuring the NPCs are all fighting for their corner even if the PCs do sway them. Dunno if you've got there yet - bets part in one of the earlier games is where the Lawful Good dragonborn is strickly against slaves, and the unaligned (chaotic neutral) mage later gets to lead the the negotiations...
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Progress is slow in all things I do. They're procrastinating about destroying the Goblin Hulk Ship at the moment but the next pod-cast is about a slaver.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, good times, good times. Anything that isn't combat tends to be pretty entertaining one way or the other :D