Ameena's new normal sized dungeon crawl!

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Ameena's new normal sized dungeon crawl!

Post by beowuuf »

Again there is the silence in the dark, although the creature does seem to at least be reacting to the question, realising it is a question.

Smallsmallsmallsmall? it seems to say uncertainly. Ameena then finds it bumping into her, as if it realises she is about to move the other way and is indicating she is ready.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena tilts her head to one side momentarily, considering. She touches the rat-creature lightly with a forepaw - "You Small-Small?" she asks, then wonders what to say next. "I...Think-Rat?" she suggests, considering it to be about the nearest she can get to a description of a murafu when compared to a rat - sentience being the biggest different, she supposes. She adds "I call you Small-Small, you call me Think-Rat. Is good? If you think better, say.".
She then starts to head back toward the not-wall, but stops to add one more thing - "We go now, pass Bad Men. Must be quiet-quiet. If Bad Men see, we have hurt-pain-ouch. If they see, run quick-quick. No fight. They kill - we dead. Bad Men very bad. Not let see. Quiet-quiet now. Follow please. Quiet-quiet.".
Then she heads on, keeping close to the wall, creeping as quietly as she can, every sense alert for anything the humans might do. She hopes fervently that not only will this one in front of her not look round, but that there won't be another one waiting for them on, or at the top of, the stairs.

OOC - So Ameena tries to sneak over to the stairs, and then up them. Obviously if "Small-Small" wants to add anything more beforehand, I can edit this or something ;). But if Small-Small has no further comments or questions or anything, Ameena now attempts to sneak along the right-hand wall, around the corner, and up the stairs. Obviously she will stop if she detects the presence of a soldier on the stairs or anywhere else unexpected which might risk getting her caught. I presume that if there is no guard on the stairs, he'll be at the top. If that guard has his back turned, you could even assume that Ameena will attempt to sneak past him too, following the right-hand wall since that leads toward the Central Stairwell where her friends went. I think there's only one guard left down that way now since the others are downstairs, unless they all went back up again during Ameena's brief absence. But correct me if I'm wrong ;). And if there is only one guard left down that corridor, if there is a shadowed spot Ameena can stop in between him and the top of the stairs (unlikely I suppose, since these guys have torches and all), then most likely Ameena will stop there to assess the situation before she tries to sneak past the last guard. That is, if there are only two of them on this level now. I have a feeling I may have to make lots of Stealth checks over the next few posts ;). I hope that Small-Small has good enough Stealth for the two of them not to get caught!
Sooo...for the moment, Stealth check = 26 (13+13), and Perception = 16 (7+9).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You have it exactly correct. There's one at the bottom of the stairs not looking, and you can certainly hope and with that stealth check will certainly find when Ameena goes up that the other soldier is looking the other way - for now.

Thinkthinkratratthinkratratratgoodgoodgood said the female rat, actually nuzzling Ameena excitedly. It then felt as if it stood back. Quietquietquietquiet in then said to itself, apparently.

Ameena cautiously moved, but whatever was happening in the far corner was now fully takign the attention of the soldiers. The stairbound soldier had even moved forward a few steps, not looking behind him as he had been before.

If Ameena had been worried about her companion, it was misplaced. Infact, only by looking behind would Ameena know the creature was there. The pain rat was moving so softly Ameena's hearing hadn't picked her companion's footsteps up.

However, that might be because Ameena was distracted by a fragment of conversation she could here.

There had been a small squeak from where the soldiers were, then a set of angry talking. "Take the corpse - and pick up that excuse for a soldier! Bratt, come over here, we're moving back up!"

The torchlight behind Ameena moved away, but it seemed it would only be briefly. On the stairs, Ameena could see the soldier in the hall was indeed standing deeper in the hall, with his back firmly to the stairs, checking each corridor leading off into darkness in turn. That meant the corridor close that the scent of her friends came from was free, but...dare she risk moving slowly now?

Heh, gunna need another stealth check to get passed the other soldier. Obviously, to have no penalties Ameena needs to move slowly. Do you think she dares take that long before the soldiers come back or yell for their ally?

If she doens't, Ameena needs to take a -5 penalty for moving up to her normal speed. Running will take a -20 penalty, so is probably out of the question to do silently. Obviously, Ameena can choose to do something else to distract the soldier (like a bluff roll if you have a good idea for a distraction), or can just risk outrunning the soldier.

Good luck, I already know the soldier's perception for this :p
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Heh, I'm guessing his Perception roll is quite high, then? A shame I don't know these guys' base Perception - that might give me some clue as to how sensitive they are to their surroundings ;). Still, I suppose I shall find out after I roll my own Stealth and see whether Ameena gets caught or not...hmm actually maybe I'd better roll the Stealth now, so I know whether I want to take the -5 from it to speed Ameena up a bit...hmm not bad...Stealth = 27 (14+13)...so that would be 22 if she sped up a bit. Still not too bad, but then, since I don't know what the soldier's Perception roll was...hrmmm...and as for a distraction, she doesn't really have anything she can use. Heh, nede a bow and some noisemaker arrows like in the Thief games. Well, not that I suppose a murafu would be much good with a bow. Maybe a crossbow, but I don't think their forelegs are quite shaped the right way to handle a longbow ;). But anyway...yes...better get back to the sneaking...

BIC - Ameena sniffs cautiously at the air. Dare she risk an increase in speed? From the sounds of things, those other soldiers will probably be returning shortly. She doesn't much like the mention of a "corpse" - have they killed one of the rat-creatures, or has one of their own fallen? Or perhaps both? Maybe the soldier was only injured. Well, whatever the case, if they're carrying things, maybe that will slow them down a little. She hopes. The danger will come from the soldier nearby, if he should decide to turn round...
Still, he hasn't done so yet. Ameena decides to see how far she can get for now - if someone from below should call up to this human, maybe she and Small-Small will be out of sight by then. Maybe. All she has to do, she hopes, is get around the corner, out of the area which will be lit by the torch when the soldier near the stairs turns round. She just hopes he'll do so later rather than sooner - there isn't anywhere else to hide until she and Small-Small reach the corner...

OOC - Deciding not to increase speed. If I'd had a higher Stealth roll, I might have done, but I'd rather not risk that the soldier rolled well for his Perception. So he's the only one left upstairs now, or is there still the one in the corridor to the stairwell? can I get an updated map with torchlight auras and stuff on it, by any chance? Or at least some idea of where they are. I'd love to have a poke around (and a drink!) in the fountain room, but right now I think that would be rather too dangerous ;).
I also just had a look through Ameena's profile...updated the inventory to add that extra flask (she has two now - I forgot she still had the one from before, with Helm and the spider-critter), and found one more thing to confuse myself - her AC reads as "15 (11), +1 AC vs. traps". So I get that I +1 to the total if a trap goes off, but why do I have a 15 with an 11 in brackets? Some bonus from somewhere, or is one her armour against one thing and the other against something else? And does AC work in this version the same way as in 4th edition - that is, that you have to get a to-hit roll which is equal-to (I think) or greater than the AC in order to hit someone?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's was shameless metagaming, and in a live game you'd reroll once you told me what you were doing not afterwards! Still, the perception roll was a 1 in actual fact before bonueses, and your rattie rolled a good second roll so was not goign to be a problem. I'm not telling you their perception bonus either, but needless to say it can't be so fantastic you didn't beat it! Anyway, it was a gamble either way, just you could have gotten away with swift moving, whereas slow moving won't pay off for you this time...

Ameena and the pain rat managed to remain silent, once again Ameena only knowing the rat was behind her because of the occasional touch of a nose and by the scent.

The guard was far too engrossed on checking from one tunnel to another infront of him, instead of caring about the third tunnel he was leaving unguarded behind him. The shadows were welcome, and Ameena and her companion slowly made their way-

"Hey! Look sharp, we've got wounded and more food!" said a voice from the stairwell. The soldier in the hall jolted a little, and span around to address the stairwell.

"What the hell!" he said instead as he obviously caught sight of Ameena's companion in the turned torchlight. Small-small did not seem to hesitate for a moment, and darted in what appeared to be a suicide charge at the soldier. However, the soldier barely comprehended what was happening before the small pain rat disappeared down one of the corridors, uttering a series of high pitched squeaks.

The soldier turned reflexively to look down the corridor where the pain rat had gone.

Think fast! Ameena has a soldier on the stairs, or at the bottom of the stairs at best, and one with his back turned who might not have seen her due to the shadows. What does she do?

Back to your other question, the AC value in brackets is your flat-footed value. If you are surpised in combat, you don't get your dex bonus to AC, so you only have AC10 + 1 for being small making 11. The trap thing you have correct, if you spring a trap and it attacks your AC, you get a +1 bonus. And yes, AC works the same way in 3.5.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Well, I hope there's an "Alertness" feat in this versin that lets me avoid being caught out ;). Actually no, that one's not for AC is it, it just means the opponents don't get combat advantage if they initiate combat via a surprise attack. Oh well, hopefully she won't get hit anyway.
And d'oh...stupid smelly guard. I figured that might happen. But it looks like Small-Small's either taking the initiative or actually understood more of Ameena's previous communications than was apparent. Either way, Ameena won't be passing it up...

BIC - Ameena freezes as the guard turns and sees...her? She doesn't have time to work it out before Small-Small suddenly darts away from her and disappears off down a corridor. Ameena has a sudden image of herself as Haynuus, standing there with mouth agape and staring after the rat-creature. She isn't sure why such an amusing image would come to her at this time, but she mentally shakes it off as she turns her attention more properly on what's happening.
Several thoughts whizz through her head in quick succession - Did Small-Small actually understand what Ameena had tried to tell her before, about causing a distraction? Is she acting on her own initiative? Is this, as Ameena vaguely recalls, the area which the rat-creatures usually inhabit? In which case, was Small-Small only downstairs because she'd got stuck there somehow and unable to pass the guards...the guards which, largely due to Ameena's actions, are no longer blocking the path quite so effectively? If so, Small-Small is now home. If she isn't, Ameena supposes she must have some decent kind of idea as to the layout of this area, or she wouldn't have run off with that much...confidence. Only a rat who is utterly familiar with the layout of a place can afford to run through it so quickly, in darkness and with a predator in pursuit. It has given Ameena the chance she needs. She will find her friends.
All these thoughts have raised themselves within Ameena's head, been briefly acknowledged and then passed on before Small-Small's squeaks have had time to grow faint with distance. Knowing there are no more guards beyond this spot, at least nearby, Ameena darts for the corridor containing the scent of her friends.
Despite a brief, passing acknowledgement of the fact that she is very close to water and should probably get some, this is immediately followed by another acknowledgement that to do so now would only put her at even more of a risk, so Ameena's pace doesn't even slow. Despite the sudden resurgence of the pain in her forelegs, she keeps herself low as she runs, hoping the guards won't notice her, that Small-Small will be alright, and that nothing weird has happened to the scent-trail of her friends - it was so strong before, so they must have passed this way recently...

OOC - In case a Perception check is needed for following the scent trail at speed, despite how strong it probably is...16 (7+9). Much as I (and Ameena) would like to have a good poke around the fountain room (and to top up Ameena's water bottle), as acknowledged in the post that would probably not be the most intelligent thing to do right now ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Woohoo! I think one more distraction aside, you will be able to join the guys now.

Just...one more distraction...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - You mean, Ameena gets distracted by one more thing? Oh great, are there some reinforcements coming down the stairs as Ameena reaches them or something? ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You'll see. I'm going to probably break this into two posts, you can tell me if Ameena does anything different at the first decision point. Roll me an initiative roll, and also roll me a will save.

Don't worry about stealth, I rolled a final perception check, and the soldiers must be completely focused on getting back together and running little ratties.

Anyway, hopefully small-small does know this area, and is runnign to rejoin whatever community and home he knew. Given the way the soldiers were all guarded, you can maybe guess they haven't dominated this area at all :D

The strong smell of cooked meat was strong once more, and there was still the flickering of light behind a solid grate. However, as Ameena had perceived during her first look around, there seemed to be only the soldiers she had seen. The soldier currently distracted by small-small would have been the soldier that had been on guard in the tunnel.

Ameena had not hesitated to move, and this apparently had been the right move. The soldier did not sound as if he had rushed after the pain rat - the light from behind her was still close - but also the light was not getting much closer to her either, so he was not pursuing her.

Ameena heared a few words and noises from the soldiers - one from the stairs yelling to the other soldier asking why he had cried out, and also the sound of armour. Then the soldier in the actual romm behind her berating the stairwell soldier for letting one of the 'vermin' passed him.

Ameena didn't need to listen to the rest of the exchange, because just beyond the room - as was hoped - the scent of her companions was very strong. There was the scent of metal that was strong, because a soldeir obviously patrolled here. And there were several scents drifting - one she new right away as being faintly Trolin, and another she had to think about, but she knew it was familiar.

Infact, as she moved further down the corridor and away from light, she realised there were a few scents tangled together - some she didn't really recognise, others that were faintly familiar.

However, nothing registered as greatly as the scents of her companions. Some of the smells seemed off - the soldier smell of metal seemed to be intertwinned with them - were they captured?

Ameena half-recalled this area, and recognised from the odd scent trails and the faint feeling or air, that she was nearing a stairwell. From the way the walls gave way on one side, she recalled the direction of the downwards part. After sniffing left and right, Ameena felt confident that it seemed to be the part - downwards - that her friends' had most recently gone. Especially since she could smell a strong scent of Trolin coming form the stairs upwards.

However, there was a strong smell on this stairwell that had not really carried, yet, along the corridor, indicating the scent was very fresh. It was not as welcome as her friends scents, but in some ways just as familiar. It was a smell of ancient death, but something oilier too. It was a smell she had - in her still fizzy memories - become familiar with, for these creatures plagued the party before.

It was the scent of what the soldiers called 'grak-graks', presumably because of the noise they made as they huted in the darkness.

While the smell was present anyway, like the scent of soldiers, there was a strong component that said both these foul creatures and soldiers had descended too recently. In the same direction as her friends. They were in trouble!

Ok, Ameena would need to adjust to figure out at the edge of the stairs, and more importantly whether the strongest scent was coming from upstairs or downstairs. I figure the DC16 was enough.

Anyway, if Ameena would do anything here yell. I had planned ot write a second post that could be superceded, but think I will let you digest all that for now. Basically, your actions are almost synced with the party. Give or take a fudge, you should be acting close to the same timeframe as them. In the next few day/few days your movements will be at the same time as the battle, and there will ocme a point - I htink you'll know when - in which your initiative will be relevant, and you'll need to start limiting yourself to the standard combat actions (or at least 6 second blocks of time).
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Okay, first I'll get those two requested rolls out of the way - Initiative = 23 (20+3 :D), Will save = holy shit...22 (20+2 :O). Wow...well that's me done for natural-20s for a few weeks now, I bet!

BIC - Ameena pauses at the edge of the stairs, and glances back in the direction she's just come. Much as she would love to have a proper search around that room of theirs, which she recalls contains a water source, something she knows she could probably do with since her flask isn't exactly full right now, she knows that wouldn't be a good idea. From the sounds of things, the human soldiers will be returning there any moment now.
Giving the stairs in front of and behind her another sniff, and having decided that the scent of her friends is stronger in the downward direction, she moves down a few steps to get herself around the corner and out of the way of any torchlight which might come her way. She has to sort of spin around and push herself upright since stopping halfway down a stairway and staying on all-fours doesn't exactly feel comfortable at the best of time - worse now with her injuries, which, as the rush from her exertions fades, are reasserting themselves. Ouch. She rather wishes she had the ability to make healing potions - she has a couple of flasks on her, after all.
She gives her wounds a quick lick and then gets down to properly sniffing the area. This is somewhat awkward to do whilst standing upright, however, and she doesn't much want to drop back down to all-fours since that would mean that in order to face down the stairs she'd have to have her forelegs on the step below her. Fine for running down, not so good for standing still or moving slowly. It would be less bad if she wasn't in this amount of pain.
Still, she does her best to deduce what she can from the smells as she slowly makes her way down the stairs, eagerly exerting all her senses in order to work out, as exactly as she can, what's been going on here - Who has passed this way? All of her friends? Have they all managed to reunite? And what of these other smells? More soldiers? And the...grak-grak...things...that scent immediately invokes a sense of nervousness, even fear, within her. Bad memories, then. But did her friends pass this way first, or did the grak-graks? And what of the metal smell? Human soldiers? Can she smell them too? Or just the metallic scent of their armour - she supposes that her friends might have taken some from somewhere, but can't think why they would, not with all this talk of souls that she's been hearing. Surely that's the kind of thing Westian would openly object to? And what of these other scents...other people? She eagerly attempts to identify as much as possible, also keeping the nose out for the unpleasant scent of blood - she has no way of telling, after all, in what state her friends may have descended this way.

OOC - Perception roll for overall sensing of the area...after those two 20s I suppose now is the time for a rather low single-figure number...18 (9+9). Meh. Could be worse. Ameena is applying all her senses, of course. Sight is probably irrelevant for now, since I suppose she'll still be in complete darkness till she actually gets near to Seeroc's lab. Whiskertouch is a constant, just to keep track of the wall/stairs. Hearing is mainly applied to making sure none of the soldiers from above start heading her way. Smell is obviously the main one - she wants to discern as much as she can about all these scents. Even if all she gets of Seeroc is "gnome", I'm sure that may trip a memory or two ;). Speaking of which, I think I'll put out my spam-list-of-stuff-I-want-to-ask-about now...over in the OOC thread.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As I said in the OOC, looking for 'who moved first' in a coupel on minutes timeblock would be pushing it for scent anyway, especially since you still ahve no tracking feat so therefore Ameena hasn'#t made a living from actually following people using her nose! :) I think letting Ameena know up or down was pushing it, but that was narrative!

This seemed to be a well travelled stairwell, which seemed to ring a bell in Ameena's mind. Certainly, soldiers used it. And grak-graks, it would be hard to forget those creatures. There were terrifying and relentless when the party had encountered them.

Still, her friends had passed this way, and the scents were still strong, so that meant they must not be far. Sadly, if the scent of soldier and grak-grak was equally as strong, did that mean her friends were headed for trouble without her? Or worse yet, being pursuded by it?

I thin recalling Seeroc would only get triggered . Faintly smelling somethign she would recognise - and if she doens't meet gnomes alot, I'm not sure she should instantly spot gnome in the strong scent of armour, grak-grak and her friendfs still - woulndt auto jump.

Anyway, I sorta hoped we'd be downstairs on this one. I guess it helps that themain thread will pause for a day. Anyway, will Ameena be looking for anythign else? IF not, perhaps figure out exactly how she will proceed.

The 'dustraction' will be the fact that Ameena, as she moves onwards, would meet Ardur (who had legged it out the door) cowering in the dwindling light in the corridor just around from the door.

A perception check will be needed to perhaps recognise Ardur's scent - afetr all, he was probably stand offish and so not a scent Ameena would instantly recall. However, she will, as she gets closer, recognise the stronger scet of a human close, one that is maybe one she has melt befor,e and maybe even - with a decent perception roll - recongise the human smells of fear.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Note that the trying to work out the order of march with regard to the previous descent of the stairs by the group was Ameena's thought processes, not mine - she doesn't know how long ago these people passed, just that it was recent. Wondering whether there was a noticeable time gap between the passing of various people is just her natural thought processes ;).
As for "the final distraction"...ohh yeah - I forgot about Ardur legging it! Just one thing regarding him - I'm guessing there is some small amount of light coming through the doorway? Will she see much of Ardur or will he be mostly in shadow (hmm that's a point - I'd better re-check that thing Ameena's got regarding fear of shadows now...I recall that the lighting in Seeroc's lab becomes patchy at best with the fields down, so that might trigger something, possibly?)? I'm just wondering how young he actually looks. Does he look big for his age or is he more kind of scrawny? I know you said he was around 15 or so (I think - I can remember guessing he was around that age and I seem to recall you acknowledged that he was). Obvioulsy Ameena doesn't know humans quite as well as...well, as humans, but I'm just wondering whether she would immediately recognise that he's a youngster of his kind or whether she'd pick that up more later. His voice has broken, right?
Oops, long OOC note...better post IC now...

BIC - Ameena reaches the bottom of the stairs and gratefully drops back down onto all-fours. She sniffs around, detecting a large heap of rubble opposite the stairs and what seems to be a corridor leading off to the right. Maintaining whisker-contact with the wall to her right, Ameena slowly makes her way along the corridor, eyes flitting around for any sign of light, nose close to the ground as she works on the scent-trails. Her ears, naturally, remain alert for any kind of sound, from any direction, and constantly flick about to try and catch the faintest noise.

OOC - Sooo, Perception roll for general sensory stuff, the usual drill...25 (16+9). Getting there now! Getting close...to an entirely different kind of chaos :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ardur is small (height and width) for his age I guess, which is around 15 - 17. He's also not particularly strong. Ameena might not recall too much more about him, as he was quite sullen / shy. Yeah, voice broken.

Ameena slowly feels her way around the strange ruined place. It does not feel like normal corridors, it feels far too rough. Just as the floor starts to improve and get back to the packed, cobbled floor she is used to, she hears some faint sounds. It sounds like swift breathing - maybe even sobbing?

The smell of fear and also of a human is growing stronger. She knows the scent is familiar, but can't quite place it.

As Ameena continues on a little, she can spot the subtle play of light. Somewhere onwards is some low source of light, and she can start to see her rough surroundings. The wall and floor is about the same as she found herself in - unsurprising, perhaps, after going up then back downstairs again.

I'll try to put up the seeroc room map with rough positons Ameena and Ardur - as you the player know it will be.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena sniffs the air curiously. She mentally tries to place the smells she's getting. It seems there is a human nearby, one who's scared. Very scared. And also, somehow, faintly familiar. She can't quite place it, but the scent doesn't give her any kind of flashback to a scene of fear - she doesn't recall being scared of whomever's up ahead. Which comes as something of a relief, given the number of hostile creatures there seem to be down here.
So, not a soldier then, she supposes - she can't recall being on good terms with any of the black-armoured humans, so logically this smell probably isn't one of those. The smell of fear is strong. She wonders what to do. She's tempted to call out, but knows that that might be a very bad idea - many creatures have a tendency to lash out when afraid or startled - if this human turns out to be a magic-wielder, that may not prove particularly healthy for Ameena. She can't recall meeting any magic-users though. Not human ones, anyway. Obviously there was Falkor, and that mage-person who threw them all apart not so long ago. And some other magic-users...probably...somewhere.
She sniffs at the ground again, taking in the scents. So many of them, so recent - distinguishing each trail is hard, since they're all intermingled with each other and many are unfamiliar. It's difficult enough picking out each of her friends' trails, though that of Haynuus is, she gathers with a faint sense of non-surprise, a little stronger than the others. Well, maybe not stronger, as such. Just, sort of...more...potent.
So, then, what to do about this human? Continue on, she supposes, until she can see some sign of...him? Her? She tries to think whether she's even met any female humans down here, but can't recall any. That's not to say there weren't any, though. She supposes that one day she might have enough of a sense of smell to distinguish male humans from female ones, but in a place like this, where so many scents litter the ground and air, doing so would be tricky even if she was fully familiar with every faintest nuance of the human scent.
Ameena decides to continue onward until she can see the human - the faint light up ahead will help her with that, and she herself will have the security of the shadows in which she stands, until she actually walks into the light herself. She moves on, slowly, cautiously, every sense remaining on alert. She wonders how much longer she'll be able to keep this up - she almost feels as though her stomach is about to eat itself with hunger, while memories of the fountain from above start to haunt her and the pain in her forelegs throbs repeatedly as though telling her she should just give it up and find a nice comfortable corner to curl up in and forget the world.

OOC - In case another Perception roll is needed, 25 (16+9)...again :). And Ameena is now entering Stealth mode, creeping forward because she doesn't know who's ahead and wants to attempt an identification before she reveals herself, sooo...Stealth = 25 (12+13) :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nice rolls! Here's the map:
http://www.dmjump.net/roadtoseerocplus.jpg

The very faint light allows Ameena to see there is a small human, curled up, on the next corner. While the human might think he's in almost darkness now, Ameena coming from complete blackness can see him quite well in the very faint light. He seems to be hugging his knees, or as much as she can see around the corner. Surely not armed then?

The human - male, possibly,by the smell - doens't seem to be sobbing but is certainly breathing strangely, scared. There is also an odd strong smell coming from the figure. Metal. Definitely metal. Does he have a weapon after all? However, it doens't seem to be like that - it's mingled too much with the human's scent. And she can't see any arnour like others have worn.

Then again, didn't some human wear shirts of metal to protect themselves? Infact... thinking of metal armour reminds Ameena vaguely of a human the party met called Farel. And didn't he have a young human with him? One who smells of mysterious metal, that ended up beign a metal shirt under his normal shirt?

Is this...what was the young human's name. Armour? Ardur? Was that it?

Ok, that is you basically - I think - caught up with the party's timeline. Maybe one round behind. Keep everything within six seconds ish, even though I would love to just play through quickly. But I imagine Ameena would spend a while here speakign to Ardur :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - I have just mentioned this in the OOC thread, but I'll mention it here anyway (I hadn't read this post at the time of writing that one), that Ameena will happily engage Ardur in conversation to figure out wtf's going on, but the moment she realises there's combat going on down the corridor, and especially that it involves her friends, conversation will take something of a back seat when put up against the murafu instinct to help their companions ;).

BIC - Ameena edges ever-so-slightly closer, but then stops, thinking. The name...she tries to remember. Does she have it right? Well, the shape of this corridor will help her somewhat, she decides, considering what she can make out in the dim light coming from up ahead. She scoots over to the left a bit and ensures that the protruding corner of the wall is between her and the young human. Yes, that's right, he's young, she recalls. If he was a murafu he probably wouldn't have got as far as venturing out into the world on his own yet, were he to turn out to be the wandering type like herself. Maybe nearly. Maybe just. But either way, he's still young. Not yet quite fully-grown, perhaps.
Concentrating a little more on the names, on the people she remembers, she focuses her thoughts on that of the human...Sarrel? Suff...no. Did he have two names? No, sometimes they just shortened it...that was it! Yes...Serfarrel. But sometimes they just called him Farrel. She isn't sure why. Some aspect of humanish naming, she recalls. The younger one...he only ever had one name, one calling. What was it...Ahh-something? Arr...Arr-da?
She peeks around the corner, regarding the human for a moment...what's that word they have for their male young? Garl? Gull? Something like tha...oh no, wait, she's thinking of the female term. Oh yes, now she remembers - boy. The human is a boy. When he's fully-grown, he'll be referred to as a "man". She wonders why this species has so many terms for different types of...well, of themselves. Yet another strangeness of the species in comparison to hers, she supposes.
Withdrawing her head as a precaution against the possibility of an incoming projectile of some kind, Ameena calls out, softly.
"Umm...hello? Arr-da? Ardoor? Umm...sorry, I'm not sure I remember...hello anyway...?"

OOC - I figure Ameena won't have time to say much more because Ardur's reaction is likely to be one of extreme erm...whatever the word is for being startled. Startlement? Well, anyway, yes, something like that :). And in case it wasn't obvious, Ameena has moved south a bit so she's hiding behind the wall away from Ardur - she's in the next square to the south from where she was, currently out of sight behind the wall in case Ardur decides to chuck anything at her - she knows that fearful creatures can lash out if startled and doesn't want him to chuck a knife or something at her ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The boy spins quickly. "Who's there!" he says. He seems to scramble for somehtign at his body, and then seems to stop as if realising something. "Stay back! I have a knife!" he says, although his hands - from where Ameena is - don;t quite seem to have anything.

Carrying over Ameena's good perception roll so she can see Ardur decently enough.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Oh, okay...though she's not actually looking round the corner at the moment of that previous post - she was deliberately keeping out of line-of-sight in case Ardur reacted badly and decided to throw anything at her ;). Still, I can have her notice that when she peers around there now...

BIC - Ameena resists the urge to immediately step out into view - the young human might still try to harm her.
"It's alright." she says in the same soft, calm tone. "I'm not going to hurt you. Why would I? Look - I'll step out now. You can see what I look like. Maybe you'll remember me."
So saying, Ameena slowly emerges from around the corner. She isn't sure how well Arr...Serfarrel's friend will be able to see her, but decides she may as well take the chance anyway. She emerges on all-fours but then stands upright, forepaws spread in front of her in a gesture she's picked up from humans - one they use to demonstrate their paws...err...hands are empty. She hopes that the young human isn't so scared he won't register the fact that she's speaking Common and wearing what amounts to a vague amount of clothing - things that the aggressive rat-creatures of this place have never done. At least, not so far as she's encountered.
"I'm Ameena." she adds. "Aren't you...Arr-something? I remember...you travelled with us for a while. Or we travelled with you. You and your friend...he was fully-grown. Another human. His name was...Serfarrel, yes?"

OOC - Whee, some confusion for Ardur now ;). Ameena has moved back into the northern square, is upright, and facing Ardur with her paws held out in front of her in a "Look, empty hands, no weapons, I don't want a fight" gesture.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"What? I can't see you! Don't come closer!" sais the boy in shock, moving backwards to the other side of the corridor, but still in view. "Your voice sounds strange, who are you?" said Ardur. However, his mind seems to catch up. "Ameena? I've heard that name somewhere before... wait, Sir Farel? You..know Sir Farel?"

Ardur then scrambles upright. Althoguh taller than Ameena and Falkor, he does seem shorter than other humans, as Ameena remembered. "I don't remember you! Is this a trick? Are you one of Seeroc's creatures?"

The boy does not seem to have anything in his hands, and is scrambling scared. There is then a yell from further down the corridor, as if someone in pain.

This is probably the start of the previous round, so that sound would have been Seeroc getting bashed :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Actually, this might work, since it's all talking... especially if Ameena would enter into the room the moment Ardur explains what the noise is.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Ooh, more name-dropping...

BIC - "Seeroc?" asks Ameena, the name sounding familiar. Unpleasantly so. "Wasn't he...a mage? But...that wasn't his name...or it was, but...he had another name..."
She leaves this thought running while she moves on to something else the human mentioned.
"I'd need to come past you for you to see me." she explains. "Or closer. It's because of the light. Or, umm...well, more rightly, the lack of it. Umm...could you please remind me of your name? I'm sorry, I can't quite remember it - my memory has been a bit...strange, lately. I've been having a little trouble remembering names and things. Wait..."
The memory has triggered.
"Hang on...Seeroc. That was...the humanish name of that gnomish mage, Soorec! But...oh no...maybe he's not..."
She peers past the human, down the corridor from which the yelling sound just emanated.
"What's going on down there?" he asks, a little more urgently now. "I'm looking for my friends - are they there? Soorec...are they...is he...?"
Too many questions are trying to tumble out of Ameena's mouth at once and so end up colliding with each other and falling into something of a confused heap before she can properly get them out.

OOC - If the mental leap taken to grab that memory was a bit too much there, let me know. I just figured that Ameena might make the connection upon hearing Soorec's "other" name, combined with the fact that suddenly she might recognise one of the scents in the area as that of a gnome.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"Yes!" sais Ardur, surprised or frightened that Ameena knows so much. "Sir Farel didn't know! He came to rescue me, but he didn't know! And ...it all went .... " Ardur half chokes on a sob. "And the others...they're fighting Seeroc and his..." Ardur again stops, as if to name the creatures of Seeroc were to bright them out. He even looks around back towards the corridor.

"I can't go back. My name is Ardur, and I can't go back. Tell Sir Farel I'm sorry. but I can't go back!" Ardur moves away from Ameena's general prescence into the corner of the corridor, and agains huddles back down against the wall.

Nah, the mental leap is about right. Ameena might also smell the scent of fireball charring - coming form Ardur, though she might not realise exactly where it is coming form in the confusion.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena drops down to all-fours again and moves forward, her murafu sense of compassion momentarily overriding her fear that the human...Ardur...will try to lash out at her. Ardur, yes, that was it...now he's spoken the name, it seems so clear to her.
"It's alright." she says, moving forward and attempting to gently nuzzle Ardur's side (having fortunately just remembered, at the very last moment, that sticking her whiskers in a human's face is an action that doesn't tend to be received too well). "I'll...I'd better go and help them. If they're in trouble...if they're all there, I need to go. Those things...the...grak-grak things...I remember something about them too, I think. I'll do what I can. Then, if I can, I'll come back and help you. You won't be alone."
With this last statement spoken firmly, Ameena turns and moves past the cowering human, wishing she could help him further but knowing that the very lives of her friends must be in terrible danger at this moment - she can't afford to take any more time in getting there.
She heads on down the corridor, moving quickly, ignoring her own pain, till she reaches a doorway. She peers inside.

OOC - I'm guessing that if I were a GM (and therefore Ameena was an NPC), it would take a pretty high Perception roll to spot her right now, considering everyone's ever-so-slightly busy right now, and anyway she's only peeking in through the doorway. If Ardur would have objected to her attempt at physical contact, she will have withdrawn from him and just spoken the words from a short distance away.
Now would be the time for any more last-minute memories Ameena might have, on looking into the room, of Soorec, his lab, or the grak-graks. Preferably Soorec ;). And while I read the IC posts (in the main thread) just an hour or so ago, a brief quick description would be nice. Actually, let me just make another OOC post to see whether I have it right (to avoid clogging up this one with too much OOC spammage ;)).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ardur moves away surprised at the attempt at contact, but not not strike out at Ameena, and then seems disappointed when he realises she was genuine. "Thank you," he says, apparently confused.

Ameena, meanwhile, is focused on her friends. Now it all seems clear, for she recognises the blue glow of the strange hazes as she gets closer. And the lock high above - that seems familiar too, something about a gem needed to open and close the doors, and both doors not being open at once?

The scents of the room are familiar too - concentrated unpleasant scents of many races held in bad conditions. And ontop of that, the scent of soldiers and the undead. Luckily, she can smell the scent of her friends. They are close aswell.

As Ameena peers into the room, she recalls it well, althoguht it looks strange from this angle, she doens't remember coming in from this door before,. Wasn't it closed? In the corner is a level, though it does not matter because the wall lets people through just like the illusionary wall she experienced recently. And there's the funny stone table in the room - there was somethign special about it....

All that takes a back seat though to the scene she can see. Illuminated in the room by the teleporters and some torch out of sight is Haynuus. He doens't look as she remembers him...or does he...dressed plainly and carrying a single weapon. However, she sees the gnome mage - Soorec - standing, having just pointed a wand at Haynuus. And for some reason, Haynuus isn't moving, and neither is Falkor, and thoguh they say...something.... Soorec doens't seem to care and is walking away.

What has he done to them? Didn't mages have some ability to....stop time...or something? And where is Westian? Is he around the corner, or is he below down the other hidden stairs? Or worse, has something happened to him?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Some questions before I post. Firstly, which square is Ameena standing in on the map? I'm guessing she'll have to have moved about as far as M4 in order to see what she can in the above post. Secondly, what does the table/altar thingy look like? I gather it's made of stone. Is it just basically a big stone block or does it have legs or a pedestal of some kind? I'm asking 'cause I'm wondering how much cover it will provide if Ameena just legs it straight across and gets behind it (F5 if that's possible, or F4 if the aforementioend square is "covered" by the table). Then she can act from there to try and leap out on top of Soorec. It occurs to me that if any grak-graks try to impersonate her it will technically be a good thing for everyone else as long as they don't also mimic her agility and general roguish skills - all someone would need to do would be to grab "her" by the tail and chuck "her" at a wall or something ;).
Anyway, once I have the above info, that should be enough to finally make my reintroductory post :D. And then I can go to bed ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Your call, but the top row would allow better view of the three of them and be further from the light (for all the good that is). The bottom of the two restricts view, so it would be more 'Ameena thinks she sees'. The table/altar thing is basically a large slab-like table. Probably about as tall as Ameena, but with weird steps at the edges so she (or anyone else) could try to hop up and use it and look at stuff on it. Pretty much a ston block with a wider stone block ontop and small steps around. More like a very plain altar really. And yes, it would previde very good cover, though legging it still provokes a stealth penalty :)

ANyway, hope all that answers everything! Then we can both get sleep and laugh at the reactions tomorrow :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - I wasn't too worried about Stealth. Rather, Ameena's not. Not when her friends' lives are in danger. Despite the fact that if this was 4th edition she'd be bloodied by now (not that I'm sure murafu would get any extra abilities when bloodied like some races/classes do...at least, I think "bloodied" is at half health), murafu have this tendency to temporarily ignore their own wellbeing when they themselves are in danger. I'm figuring that everyone may be too busy to notice the little brown thing darting into the room. Well, she's only really fussed about Soorec right now - she knows he's a mage and that he controls the grak-graks. That's plenty enough to worry about. Her intention is to get behind the table, then move along and, after a quick peek to see what's what, leap out at Soorec. Wand = bad, so...be prepared to tell me the rules/rolls for an attempted disarm-via-hand-nommage, and then probably the rules/rolls for a murafu attempting to climb onto the back of a gnome and get him to fall over and absolutely not reach his pile of tricks in the corner ;).
Anyway, I'm hoping Soorec is one of the most distracted people in the room right now, considering he appears to be badly wounded, not too near the door, and very focused on getting to his pile of stuff.

BIC - Ameena feels a surge of gladness and relief at the sight of Haynuus and Falkor. Finally! It feels as though she's been separated from them for...well...for far too long. Which, she supposes, isn't necessarily very long, as murafu count these things.
Then she stares at the gnome. What's happened? How has it happened? He must have escaped from...from...whatever it was the group did to him. She remembers they did something. And that killing him is bad. Well, killing anything is bad, but...she remembers that he died...somehow...and...what? Well, he's certainly alive now, that's for sure!
And no less cunning than before. There must be grak-graks around here somewhere - she can hear sounds emanating from elsewhere in the room. She deduces from what she's seen and heard so far that the room contains all of her friends, Serfarrel, Soorec and an unknown number of grak-graks. And for now, she can't tell which is which. Maybe there's even a grak-grak disguised as Soorec. Now that wouldn't help matters.
But she can't take that chance. She has to, instead, take the chance that the Soorec she's staring at is, in fact, Soorec.
After mentally preparing herself for what might be one of the last things she ever does, Ameena charges straight into the room, toward the stone...table...altar...thing, which is just across from her. She uses it as cover while she crouches behind it and casts about one last time for anything which might be lying nearby which stands a chance of helping her.

OOC - I'm guessing a Perception check counts as a Standard action now I've entered the combat situation, but that's alright since Ameena isn't doing anything more this round anyway, having used up her Move action too. She's basically just looking around for...well, anything. I gather that G3-I3 is a shelf, or something, so I figured Ameena might spare it a look before she hurls herself at Soorec. She's not going over to it or anything, though. If it's above her eye-level, fine. She'd only go for something if she was pretty damn sure it would help anyway.
Next go, a certain little gnomish bastard is likely to find a small brown furry thing chomping down on his wand-hand and then trying to sit on him ;).
Ameena is now in F5, btw. She will also figure that even if she can't actually stop Soorec, she can hopefully at least get the wand away from him and keep behind him so he can't throw anything orange and burny at her. That will, she hopes, give Haynuus or Falkor a chance to do something. Actually, now I think about it, Soorec's probably gonna get to his stuff before Ameena has a chance to reach him, because he'll get a go now before she does. Bah. Oh well - wasn't much more she could do for now anyway.
Ooh yeah, that Perception check...meh, 16 (7+9). Well, she's somewhat distracted ;).
Ooh, and now I'll make my uber-long-epic-post in the main thread :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The shelves beside her have lots of potions. There are kinda two sets of shelves if she really looked. Perception can be a standard action depending on what's being looked at.

As for disarm or 'grapple' - basically roll me like 2 - 3 d20s and I'll take care of the mess :D

Anyway, go get 'em!

....And does that mean we can go to bed now? zzzzzz
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Lol yeah, I think I shall be off now...unless you've had time/inclination to post a comment in our OOC thread on my most recent IC post (in the "proper" thread, as opposed to this one, of course).
I have a rather unpleasant feeling that Ameena may end up getting nuked here. With only 8hp currently remaining, she's not really up for a full-on fight so I hope her arrival can cause this to be wrapped up more quickly than it would have been ;). I'm hoping that taking out (ie, knocking out, hopefully) Soorec will mean the grak-graks stop attacking. Or they might just go berserk or something. Would Ameena remember?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

In this case, like many, it will be deja vu. As I said, Ameena wouldn't really recall exactly the thing, just have an emotional reaction, and only once it happens would go 'shit, that's what will happen'