Ameena's new normal sized dungeon crawl!

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Ameena's new normal sized dungeon crawl!

Post by beowuuf »

A mental image and strong reaction to Falkor's fireball came to Ameena, but she shook it off in the shock of the whole moment. Only when the grak-grak's audibly screamed did Ameena remember the terror. The usual creepy clicking noises had only once been replaced by such enraged shrieks - and that was the last time they had killed Soorec. Had Falkor thought they could get away with it this time?

Last time it had been all they could do to survive as the grak graks had gone insane. No longer controlled by the mage, they showed their true nature and simply killed without thought everything they could. Ameena felt her mind rebel at remembering those moments. While it would have been so helpful to recall how the party had survived, apparently her mind did not wish to dwell on the horror of it.

Sorry, mediocre will save means you don't get spanked by remembering the other Falkor incident, but you don't get the full memory of the last Soorec confrontation, and how the party survived. Probably for the best, don't want Ameena to be too much of a deus ex machina here!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena peers out from behind the stone altar just as a ball of fire goes sailing past - she ducks back quickly to avoid any risk of the blast touching her, but at the same time manages to yell one word.
"No!"
Too late, she knows. Far too late. But she hadn't been expecting that. She should have, she supposes - after all, throwing fire at someone seems to be an effective way of stopping them, and she's seen Falkor do it plenty of times before. But...against Soorec...
She wonders how he could have forgotten that. Then again, Ameena herself knows that she can't remember exactly what was bad about Soorec dying, just that...well, that something very bad would happen. She tries but fails to remember exactly what, though.
A sudden dull "thud" sound makes Ameena peek around the table again, and she sees a club rolling to a stop on the floor. She figures that it was probably thrown by Haynuus, at Soorec. Also too late, she decides. But too late for what?
Then again, the sudden screaming of the grak-graks manages to jog her memory. It doesn't help her recall what happens to bring Soorec back to life, but with horrible suddenness she remembers the danger they're in. How many grak-graks are there? And what can they do about it?
"Oh no..." she mutters.
Then she looks over at Falkor, making out his figure in the dim light.
"Can you remember?" she asks. "Can you remember what to do about them? I...can't..."
Though she tries. She tries to raid her memory for something...anything that will help then against the enraged grak-graks. This wasn't the reunion she was hoping for. She turns away from Falkor and moves around to the other end of the altar, looking across the room to where a pair of grak-graks are attacking...Westian! And...the sight of the human stirs Ameena's memory, and she recognises Serfarrel.
With no further idea of what to do, Ameena dives for the pile of things on the floor. Maybe there's something useful there. maybe there's something she can use...

OOC - If Soorec's wand is lying nearby, yoink :D. Otherwise..."omgomgomg must find something useful aaargh" is pretty much what Ameena's thinking now. She'd have launched herself at a grak-grak but she can't quite get there in one move and she knows they're undead and tough buggers, as well as the fact that there's some trick to beating them. So she's going for the pile of stuff that Soorec was making his way toward in the hope that she'll find something good. I presume an Arcana check would be ideal for finding magical stuff, in which case obviously Ameena has no chance there since she doesn't even have the skill. So I'll roll Perception instead - maybe she'll find something she remembers. So...27 (18+9). And just in case I do/find something that trips a memory, I'm going to roll a Will save because you might ask me to do so anyway and I really want Ameena to remember something useful (she is frantically raiding her memory banks right now anyway)...bollocks...Will save = 6 (4+2). I suppose not then, lol.
At least she hasn't noticed the Scorpy yet - she's a bit distracted and stuff, and hasn't checked out that end of the room yet, plus it's only dim light so...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Soorec's wand is beside his body. Ameena should definitely know that she can't sneak attack an undead for more damage (sorry, I should stop using undead!)

If Ameena goes for the pile in the corner, she won't need arcana to know that a small little box and two flasks may well be something very good...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Ooh! So tell me, is this little box blue or green? :twisted: Oooh now this could be fun! Falkor sees Ameena mooching through the stuff on the floor, she grabs something and suddenly she's over the other side of the room and one of the grak-graks has fallen over. Or something. I'm not sure what Ameena could do that would be effective if she froze time...ooh no, maybe she could...these flasks you mention...will she recognise them as healing potions, if that's what they are? Maybe she can pour one down the throat of both Westy and Farel, put a wep in both their hands, then try to push a grak-grak off them...erm...at a guess, does a Blue Magic Box last one round, while a Green one lasts two? Maybe? If that's even what this is, of course...
More details please! :D
I was going to IC update but I remembered we're in a combat situation still, so it can wait till your next update. Heh, meanwhile Falkor goes over and states the obvious ;). And also completely (though understandably) misinterprets Ameena's not wanting him to have nuked Soorec...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The box is green, although Ameena will only recall this is good (or rather better) if she finds a blue box. And yeah, it could be fun - but Falkor needs to make an arcana check to nail what it might be, or else Ameena will just get a vague memeory about what it is :p

And lol, I'm not telling you how long things are gunna work Meta-gaming Annie. Though you could imagien a blue box might be a single round, and a green longer. And no, I don't think Ameena would know exactly the difference in her current state of various potions. Perhaps a good perception check sniffing them....

Actually, the two potions and green box would have been perfect if found last round - this round, they are just mocking you. Neither you nor Falkor can act fast enough - you need his light to perfectly find stuff and give it to him, and his light and walking over is his action. Next round, it might be good for Haynuus though :D

And lol, yeah, funny if Falkor goes to defend the nuking and Ameena's like 'meh, I know you have to nuke stuff, just not HIM right NOW.

Anyway, feel free to have Ameena tell Falkor what the items are, but again keep it impersonal. I'm riding this train until at least Ardur is found, or untl all the players have chimed in showing they don't think it's a trick :p

To that end, keep up not asking about checks, etc in the main thread. I love it callign for Falkor's check rolls (As I will do) yet not saying anythign directly to you :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena spots something by Soorec's body and grabs it (OOC - That is, unless doing so would require a move away from the stuff she's looking through, considering we're in combat. I'm guessing Soorec was pretty close to the stuff though, yes? And the wand probably rolled away a bit), shoving it into a pouch for now as she roots through the things on the floor. Falkor, rather helpfully, creates a magical light and stands nearby so she can see better. This vaguely reminds her that she should probably ask him, at some point, about the glow she herself was giving off earlier. but not right now.
The halfling then states the obvious somewhat, but Ameena is rather too busy to give him a proper response. She manages to find a couple more potions and a strange little green box. She holds it up and peers at it, setting the potions to one side on the floor, then holds it where Falkor can see it.
"Hmm..." she says. "This does something good, doesn't it? I can't remember...I mean, I seem to remember these things being good, but...I can't quite remember..."
She holds it closer to herself, sniffing at it, trying to open it to see what's inside.

OOC - Heh, maybe I should work at getting Ameena to appear a little more suspicious than she does...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, the stuff is in the corner well away from the body. And soorec is aroudn the corner of the table to in dim light. And his wand could equally roll the other way :p Stick to the original plan! If you like, if/when you go near the wand, if no one has grabbed it I'll note she grabbed it :D

Anyway, otherwise sounds cool as a finishing part of the move this round, go post it!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Cool...I'll post up the "impersonal" version now then, only without mention of her grabbing the wand. Or...have you updated since I made my last post? Maybe you could add in a note yourself the next time you post, mentioning that she casually yoinked the wand and shoved it in a pouch? I'd've had her do it before going over to the corner but I only thought of it after I made that post :(.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Like I said, she can't do that yet. This is still the end of your current move - saying things to Falkor afetr the perception roll. After I update (somepoint this weekend I think) then Ameena can mame a new move depending on what is happening. If she moves across to Soorec, then she can pick up the wand and I'll have it subtly disappear, but if she's charging aroudn anywhere else, not as klikely :p

Out of interest, why would she yoink the wand? Why has she gone from a magic hater to a wand grabber? IS this part of her past (future) self versus her future (past) self. If you see what I mean?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - I never said she was a magic hater. She's just uncomfortable when people start throwing fire around - other magic she might not have any objection to. She just doesn't like the type that hurts people, but naturally she has a particular aversion to the fiery kind, due to her innate, erm...flammability ;). She would see the wand lying by Soorec and figure that he'd been holding it (after all, it can't have gone that far from his hand, can it?). The group may have come across other wands during their travels the first time around so she'd know that they don't just zap you the moment you touch them - they have to be activated somehow. A small item that could potentially be useful but which doesn't cause instant harm counts as Something Interesting, as far as Ameena is concerned - she wasn't there to see what it did to Haynuus, otherwise she'd have gone for it first and tried to use it on the grak-graks (or asked Falkor to do so, him being the magic-user and all). She's not that far from Soorec's body right now and given the shape of the room I imagine she'll have to move past his remains in order to get over to where the rest of the action's occurring. So she can just grab it as she goes.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Obviously, I'll need to wait until Falkor posts to give you any retroactive information. Not sure if Ameena would notice that Westian's just been thumped. She might have a solution to that...

Maybe...

Or not...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

As Falkor reaches out to grab hold of the green box, Ameena lets him - it's a magical item of some kind, that much she remembers, so it makes sense that a magic-wielder might remember how to use it. She grabs the two potions from the ground and shoves them each into a pouch. Then she turns to see what's going on. She notices vaguely that Haynuus is carrying something, but is too preoccupied with what's currently much nearer her eye level - the body of the gnome.
She moves over to it, eyes flitting between Soorec's body and the stone table...altar...thing. She notices Soorec's...what's it called...wond...lying on the ground nearby and, on impulse, picks it up and almost absentmindedly shoves it inside a pouch. Then she tentatively sniffs at the body of the gnome. It's not as if she hasn't seen dead things before, but dead things down here have always seemed to her to be somewhat...well, different, somehow.
She moves around to one side of the body and starts trying to shove it in the direction of the stone altar.
"I think...I think we need to get him up there!" she calls to no-one in particular. "Remember? Or he'll be back again again!"
She knows it's urgent that they deal with Soorec - she can't remember what will happen, or when it will happen, but if the gnome has returned yet again, it's clear that whatever they did with him last time, it hasn't worked. Or maybe it did, but he escaped. Maybe a stray grak-grak freed him, somehow. She wishes she could remember, but it continues to elude her. Maybe whatever they did with him made the grak-graks stop running around. She knows they're...what's the word...undead. Things that have died and had their bodies made to walk around without them actually inside.
She has a brief thought that maybe that's where the souls come from for the black armour - maybe Soorec...or someone...takes the spirit, the soul of a person, and puts it in the armour, then keeps the body for giving magic and turning into a grak-grak. Or something.
She knows there are grak-graks in the room, but she knows how terrible the grak-graks are. She knows they're controlled by Soorec, and with the gnome dead they've gone berserk. So maybe doing something with the gnome will make them stop. Or something. She has no idea. She just hopes she, or someone else, will remember what to do before someone gets killed. Though she vaguely recalls that even if that happens, it's not...that is...can they come back? She shakes off the thought, not wanting such an unpleasant distraction right now, and continues to try and shove Soorec's body toward the table thing. How she's going to get him up there, and what will happen when she does, she has no idea. But maybe one of the larger folk can help her move him.

OOC - I'm having Ameena too busy to actually notice any of the other (ie non-Soorec) dead bodies right now, so she can focus on one thing at a time. And confuse everyone else in the process...because maybe, if I can make it look as though she's unconcerned about the deaths of her friends, that might arouse some suspicion, or something...:twisted:
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

lol, evil...i thought i was the one supposed to be engineering that while you'd be all 'nooooooooo' :D

told you you need to DM!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Lol, but if I'm the DM, people will know I might be up to something - if I'm a player reintroducing my character after a split and she's started acting weird, well, then it might just be...sort of...weirdly suspicious. Or something. Anyway, I've posted the "short" version of this post up in the main thread - you like? ;) All it takes is a little rephrasing or swapping out of a word here and there to make the tone sound different. Ugh, it sounds like I'm writing for a newspaper or something, lol. Anyway, DMing would be fine except I'm not sure I can be arsed to try and get my head around being the one in charge of the mechanics ;). I'd rather leave the complicated stuff to someone else while I have fun playing the game :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

indeed, it's weirdly suspicious!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Lol yes...I hope it does come across both ways. That is, in this version of the post (ie, the "long", "proper", emotive version down in this thread), you get to see not only what Ameena does but her thoughts behind it, so I hope it makes sense as to why she's doing stuff from her own reasoning. But up there in the other version, I rather hope it looks as though she can't be arsed to check on how everyone else is doing and just seems preoccupied with yoinking cool stuff and messing around with the oh-so-blatantly-permanently-dead-gnome. And saying weird stuff that just doesn't make sense :twisted:.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Anyway, OB as a player isn't around, neither is LB, so there will probably be a delayed reaction. Money plays thigns a little close to the chest but especially when Ameena starts taking things, he might get suspicious, and surely Ian will think the same.

Wahahahhaha!

Good thing rogues have an ability to dodge and take no damage from things liek fireballs - Ameena might end up needing it!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Oh yes, because we know what Falkor is like with throwing random fireballs at people when they're not expecting it ;). Would he try throwing one at her though, when she hasn't actively done anything which would interfere with what everyone else is doing? I would hope not! I rather hope something will happen though - we built this up for too long for everyone to just completely blank and accept the fact that Ameena has returned. Well, admittedly they are all a little...preoccupied right now, what with two of the party members getting clawed to death and everything. Ameena is naturally giving priority to dealing with Soorec because she knows that he will come back to life again somehow, or something else Very Very Bad will happen. Hopefully some kind of memory will come back to her at some point with regard to what exactly is going to happen. Unless the Very Bad Thing was just the grak-graks freaking out, in which case it's already happened. But of course there's still the matter of Soorec coming back to life, somehow and at some point. So the last time they killed him was in this lab then?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm sorry, something else Very Very Bad other than uber powerful undead just hackign their way through every single person without pause? I thought that was bad enough! You know, the fact Westian and Farel would have been torn into pieces if Haynuus hadn't gone across, maybe too tiny to be ressurected?

You do realise that the grak-graks aren't just these four here, right? That deephold who you are looking for,. Helm whom you left, all the soldiers - sure the evil ones like Drommal, but also the 'less eveil' ones like Passin, and of course Ardur could all be ripped apart with no one able to stop them...

Infact, Ameena should probably recall - hearing the faint echoes in the wall and from the door - that there are likely to be more close, probably converging on you lot right now.

WAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!

And yeah, she'll feel that they killed him in this lab last time. :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Well yes, she's aware there are grak-graks nearby, but what with all that's going on right now (and has happened recently), she's a little overwhelmed and is trying to concentrate on one thing at a time. She knows Soorec can come back to life. She knows he controls the grak-graks. She knows that the group managed to do something to him, once to stop him from doing either of those things, or at least, the latter if he wasn't dead when they left him. She wants to stop the grak-graks and knows they're complete buggers to kill. She knows there are more nearby and probably en route to the room right now. She knows the group probably won't survive that. She knows that something must be done involving putting Soorec on the table. She can only hope that whatever it is, it "turns off" the grak-graks. because if it doesn't, she figures (though this probably hasn't got quite as far as reaching her conscious thoughts yet), they're all dead. Soon.
So, hopefully this thing with the stone altar will work before everyone gets turned into home-made grak-grak paste ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sorry, it was just funny as people were getting ripped to shreds that Ameena might think there is something worse than berserk grak-graks :)

Actually, she would probably be right except that Haynuus seems to in the midst of an interesting plan... so hmm, at the cost of one of the most valuable treasures of the room, your rummaging of the pile might actually ensure you guys actually beat this room without Soorec being alive.

Of course, sucks to be anyone anywhere else... and you guys would have to run fast out the other door (or the door you came from) :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There was an overpowering stench of charred gnome as Ameena tried to push the body. Soorec's face didn't seem in pain, from what could be seen, more - surprised. The strong smell could just about, but not quite, disguise the fact that there was a whiff of something else - blood. Lots of it. Coming form somewhere.

Worst of all, despite concentrating on the important task at hand, this mixture of senses was drawing some unpleasant deep memory in her.

Roll me a will save please!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena had strange flashes of memory. With everything happening, she was almost able to bury them deep for they would surely overwhelm her. However, the scents and something to do wit hthe situation - with Falkor - drew a face too easily.

Drommal.

It was a name that conjured an evil face. Someone who wanted Falkor, someone who hated Ameena - andd Haynuus, hadn't he? Hadn't he tried to bully Haynuus? Hadn't Falkor attacked him? No, no wait, Ameena recalled being kicked hard by the man, and the man ...escaping?

Captain Drommal.

The memories were pushed back again, they were no use and seemed to cause a surge of strong emotions. Still, they had left Soorec and the gnome had come back. Captain Drommal - that man, too, could well come back. This did not seem to be a pleasant thought.

Well dodged. And the link to Drommal is a fun one - I think he made enough of an impression, surely, and was the cause of everythign really that he would surface, perhaps thoughts of him combining a little with the bully Arbrut. Nothing about him is refuted from the first time around, so there you go :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Hehe...Okay, so she remembers someone called "Drommal" who wasn't very nice and has something to do with Falkor and the icky burny smell currently wafting up from Soorec. I'm guessing the group didn't encounter him first time around? Either way, like you say, the memories are of "no use" right now. She has to focus solely on what she's doing or she'll most likely panic and rejoin Ardur, only this time she'll probably be doing much the same as he was when she met him.

BIC - Ameena is vaguely aware that Haynuus is dragging...something...along the floor nearby. Whatever it is, it isn't something that drags quietly. This is all she allows herself to hear, however, as she continues to apply her focus to the body of Soorec. She knows that if she becomes too distracted from her task, various aspects of the current situation are likely to overwhelm her. She has an unpleasant thought regarding the grak-graks and Haynuus's dragging sound which she absolutely refuses to allow into her conscious mind. No. Can't face that right now. No.
She becomes aware that Falkor is now standing beside her. She's also vaguely aware that he's just said something, but can't quite grasp the words before they're gone. She takes a guess, however.
"I can't remember why...we need to do this." she pants, still shoving at the body of the gnome. "Just...because he'll come back again. Maybe someone else will...remember. Up there...he needs to go...up there..."
She gives another shove at the body of the gnome, head down, eyes and ears scrunched up to try and block out the surroundings.
"Do you know...why he came back?" she asks. "Maybe he undid...whatever we did. But...maybe this will work for now...until we can...think of something."
Her strength is flagging and she knows it. The pain in her forelegs and the general exhaustion is driving her down, yet still she continues. If they can't deal with Soorec, the grak-graks will kill them all, she's sure of it. If only she...or at least, someone could remember what it is they're supposed to be doing. She can only hope that she'll eventually succeed at getting the gnome onto the table and the memories will come back to her then.

OOC - Alright so the bit about her becoming exhausted is obviously RP rather than a mechanical thing - I just figured she's been goign for so long and been through so much since the last time she had a chance to rest, she's gotta run out of steam sooner or later. She's no half-orc! ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Technically by the way you've spaced her sleep cycle, she might relatively soon need rest or else she will become mechanically fatigued. Will figure out the timeline again after this encounter! And remember your hit points are also a good stamina indicator - she's already exhausted enough to not stand much of a chance diving out of the way of the next good swing in her direction!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Yes, all that as well ;). And since she's only got 8hp left, she'd better not get attacked any time soon ;). I suppose in their berserk state the grak-graks won't care what they're attacking, but I'm sure normally she wouldn't be considered much of a threat. At least if a grak-grak took her shape it would become easy enough to deal with - just pick it up by the tail and chuck it somewhere it can't do any harm ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I cannot be held responsible for the game you guys have set up...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Heyyy, I didn't put myself on 8hp - Lord Chaos did that ;). Oh and btw see what I mean about unintentional meta-gaming on the part of the others? Money (ie, therefore not just Falkor) was apparently just assuming Ameena is the real thing. We must confuse him on that score, I think ;). But I hope we can deal with Soorec. Maybe Haynuus can dump him on the table. And...then, I hope, someone will remember wtf to do with him ;). Maybe I can make everyone's brains explode by triggering loads of Will saves when Ameena starts trying to go into more detail about what's happened. After all, she knows she's lost some memories, which is why she isn't greatly concerned that Falkor seems clueless as to what she's doing - clearly he hasn't retained any/enough memories of Soorec to know about what's happening/going to happen.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Someone just HAD to leave the dungeon, HAD to leave via the main door not level 6...

And yeah, but transcribing your thoughts would have been too easy... having you post and then slowly casting doubt means I get to do ANYTHING to you guys. I hope.

You know, in a fun not nasty way.

And yeah, Will saves all round will be really fun. Or kill the game. Who knows!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Hmm, now, this could be interesting...

BIC - Ameena pauses in her efforts and looks up at Falkor. She blinks at him, slightly confused.
"What do you mean?" she asks. "We all sort of...left each other, didn't we? I mean, sort of. Seeing how we were all...sort of...thrown, like that. At least we've all found each other again now. And whatever we did to Soorec before has...umm...well, apparently it didn't work, did it? Or maybe someone else undid it. Maybe that other mage...person...got here and changed something. Was it even here that we...hmm, no, I think it was. Yes..."
Ameena gives her head a quick shake and returns her attention to the unpleasantly-smelling gnome, though this much she tries to filter out.
"But maybe we can do it again. I mean, if he comes back again[...maybe we can at least be far away by then. Well, somewhere away. Just not here, Not near him. And the grak-graks. I suppose we need to find that mage...person...again. And...and everything..."
She trails off, putting her head down again and continuing to shove at Soorec's body. Weariness is nagging at her - she just wants to collapse somewhere, curl up and sleep. But she can't. Not yet. She needs to deal with this. She needs to ensure that Soorec can't try to hurt them again. She needs to do something to stop the grak-graks. She needs to get back to Ardur, reassure him that all is well. She needs to reunite properly with her friends.
So much she needs to do, and so little she can achieve right now. Staying on her feet seems hard enough as it is.