FALKOR'S SUPER SECRET ADVENTURE!

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: FALKOR'S SUPER SECRET ADVENTURE!

Post by beowuuf »

The spirit looked shocked at being reminded of its form. While no further limbs nor features became visible, the ghost seemed more solid. "I had a name, I am sure...I had a name..." said the spirit, shaking its head. "My god, I do not pray to my god..." the spirit trails off, apparently understanding Falkor's idea and trying its best. It bows its head, and presses its two hands together as if in supplication. There is a slight increase in the luminescence of the spirit.

However, Arbrut had managed to wrestle his tormentors away for a moment, and snarling lashed out. Falkor's prepared spell smashed into Arbrut and his snarl turned into a shaking howl of pain. Falkor felt temprarily weak...he hoped Arbrut did not utter such an inhuman shriek again, for it tiwsted something deep in the halfling's soul.

Hah! Right in the face again! The fireball will do 3d6+3 damage. No attack roll needed for proper spells, just remember the danger in castign them too close to an enemy. In this case, since you readied a spell, it will of course trigger while he is still far away :D

Arbrut seems shocked and afraid to be re-enacting history. Except this time, his weapon blow was turned aside by the force of the fireball, which went wide over Falkor's head. Arbrut's face twisted in fury and fear, however then something seemed to occur to the soldier. There were no restrainign hands aroudn him, for the explosion of the fireball had temporarily blown away the spirits.

There was a reverbarating laugh as Arbrut sank into the floor infront of Falkor, disappearing from view...

Good idea, sadly the items Arbrut carries are simply shostly versions of the ones he carried in life, and so won't conduct heat, etc. There's something interesting about that, which you might already have figured out because of what happened to the spirit's possessions... Unfortunately, not really much use right now, might be some other time.

Sadly, I'd already decided that area effect spells like fireball (being more powerful) would of course also carry the penalty of making Abrut's life temporarily easier, since his tormentors were all around him. The good news is, he's technically blind while in the floor. The bad news is...apparenatly he can smell out your soul, whatever that means! The good news is, you seem to have a companion getting more able all the time.

Anyway, your move.... and be careful, Arbrut is very wounded, but even a reduced ghost (like Arbrut) has some very nasty powers. Oh, I forgot to ask you, did you want to try out seeing the stats (like AC and hp) of your opponent(s) in this encounter? My preference is for narrative description only, but thought I'd try the other way to let you guys get a feel for it.

Let me know!
money
On Master

Post by money »

Falkor thought he understood, the items left with the dead in the material plane would be passed to the spiritua (l level... Falkor looked at the spirit with some regret, he had often looted the posesions of the dead without a moments thought, he would be sure to remember this in future - Assuming he could make it past this fight.

"Your name, yes - remember your name, who are you - what where you doing here, where you here to help? try to remember..." Falkor looked down at the ground, Arbrut would be ready to attack soon... "Remember your name, and remember your honor... We need to defeat this coward, this monster, I need your help to do this for I alone will not be strong enough"

Falkor returned his gaze to where Arbrut dissapeared.. "For the Elves..." he shouted, then moved towards the cealing, hands ready to fire a lightnign bolt direct in the face of Arbrut... when he appeared.

OOC: Happy to RP, makes it more interesting... I think i can now use ligtning - but happy to take your steer on this...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You indeed have the power of lightning :)

The elf does not appear to react to Falkor's words, instead reacting to something else. "I can feel it! Something wrong in the world..." the elf then looks up, and then dowards. "Something is wrong, wrong there!"

The elf points to the area below Falkor, and seems shocked that something appears by Falkor's foot.

"A sword point! I saw a sword point!"

Meanwhile, the white ethereal strands of Arbrut's victims start to reform where Arbrut had previously been, moaning at Falkor. It was uncertain whether this was in condemnation or encouragement, but the sound was offputting to say the least.

Well the bad news is that Arbrut doens't need to show himself to attack you so your readied action won't go off. The good news is a) your companion can feel the tremor of Ardur's passage through solid objects in the real world while in the ethereal plane, so you can attack the square he is in (has a 50% chance to miss though). b) Arbrut is effectively blind while doing this, so he has a 50% chance to miss you and can't enact attacks of opportunity for your spellcasting). Given his high rolls for attack and certain damage, it's a good thing he did this time :D

Note that you can either try to blindly fire into the floor (but into the right square thanks to the elf) or you too could of course sink into the floor so you are both blinded and invisible to each other :D Your companion could probably direct you ok, although Arbrut might hear the directions if you aren't clever with it first.

Oh, and remember to roll damage for the fireball from last time! Lightning bolt is only 3d3+3 but has no reflexes save and a smaller area effec, so should only affect Arbrut.
money
On Master

Post by money »

Falkor watched the spirit,when he pointed towards the floor below him he released a lightning bolt. He just hoped it found it's target.

He looked at the Elf, "Help, Tell me where he is" he tried in his best Elf tounge - he was afraid this would be lost in translation - but he tried none the less and watched and waited.

OOC: 3d6+3 for Fireball (15), Lightning => 3d3+3 (10). Short and sharp - but Falkor is concentraiting on trying to get Arbrut.. little else.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'll need a roll that represents a coin flip for the 50% miss chance... but fingers crossed! We'll say lowest number or under 50% is a miss, high number / above 50% is a hit.
money
On Master

Post by money »

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's a very good thing :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The elf seems temporarily surprised at Falkor's halting words. Still for such basic communication, Falkor's tongue was well suited, and his time with elves as previous companions had obviously paid off. The spirit replied in kind. "Below your feet, the disturbance has moved directly below your feet!"

Falkor aimed a lightning bolt into the ground and fired where he had stood. A terrifying scream of pain in reply showed the blast had obviously hit the ghostly soldier. All around, the spirits of Arbrut's victims came back to form and moved towards the area of the floor. They tugged at nothing, their hands going into the ethereal floor of this place, and came out with some shredded tatters of residue. Only as it was fully pulled out, was there the impression of Arbrut's pained face.

"Promised...I was promised...the voice promised..." came the moan, terrified and frustruated. And then the howls of Arbrut's victios drowned him out, and all those spirits flew in a whirlwind up towards the roof, disappearing from view with a flash of white and a final shriek from Arbrut.

The area was temporarily dimmer, only the glow of the spirit behind Falkor and Falkor's own light providing illumination now. However, when Falkor saw the face of his companion, and saw the look of terror there, he may have worried something had remained behind. It took a moment to realise that there was a disturbance on the material plane. It took another moment to realise that the howls of the ghosts had obviously disguised the dscharge of the blue haze. A giant scorpion now entered the room. Falkor's ghostly companion, perhaps seeing time repeat, fell backwards whimpering in terror.

Heh, that was almost too easy! Still, you managed to get the spirit onside, stayed on the ethereal plane where Arbrut was much more vulnerable to magic, used his spirits against him to delay him more than he should have been, and basically did everything right to minimise the danger. Really, only the fireball temporarily weakening the tormenting spirits too put you in range of his ghostly touch (it would have been a little nasty to have been hit) but that was about it. And heh, who would have thought your elvish would have come in handy?

So yeah, well done! Not over yet - you have a pesky scoprion in the room. And don't forget there was another scampering around outside the door,. Don't want that one come back! Oh, and technically the scoprion should have come in a round or two ago, but really I thought it would have been too confusing...
money
On Master

Post by money »

OOC: Is the haze still on?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed!
money
On Master

Post by money »

Falkor's victory was short lived, it wouldn't be long before he was going to face this scorpian. "follow me through the blue haze, quickly" he motioned for the elf spirit to follow him... and he moved through the haze.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There was a muffled 'zap', and Falkor found himself back in the new room where Arbrut had first appeared. For a moment it seemed quiet. And the next moment - for there was no secondary 'zap'. Falkor's new elven friend had not come back through. Althoguh the spirit had not faded any, the elf's terror and posture meant it was not inconcievable that the spirit had gone back to adopting a similar foetal posture again.

And then, even more worryingly, Falkor swore he heard a dull noise. If real, it would be coming from the the blurry darkness that would be the only exit from this room.

Roll me a perception check, though you can guess it won't be good! Remember all those little items you've been accumulating? YOu didn't think I wouldn't at least try to force you to use them, right? : p
money
On Master

Post by money »

OOC: Perception checkFalkor: Rolled 1d20 and got 9
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Falkor can hear something dull in the ethereal plane. However, exactly what the source of the noise is, he cannot categorically say. Surely if it is dull in nature, it must originate from the material plane?
money
On Master

Post by money »

"Unbelievable" Falkor mumbled to himself, he had just got rid of that soldier - hopefully for the last time, and now he was going to have to face another challenge - surely his luck would turn sooner or later! Falkor readied himself, and returned to the material plane...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The familiar weight and sensations came back, although of course a dull blue-grey rocky room at least allowed the mage to re-aclimatise faster. In the material world, the noise was obviously not imagined - there was the familar scuffling sound of another scoprion close to the entrance. Another! Falkor had read of the giant scorpions in Anaias champions passed had faced, but to be possibly surrounded by at least three between the two rooms was not a pleasant prospect.

It was then a soft 'zap' and explosion was heard. The scuffling of the scorpion seemed to retreat. In the darkness of exit beyond, there was an ominous silence. Ominous, because quite clearly Falkor could see a set of five small, red glows coming closer. Pin points of malevolent light, floating above Falkor's head height, and growing slowly larger, swaying lazily and menacingly.

That'll be the friendly welcoming commitee with the cakes then.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I assume you are busy, so if you didn't see my announcement buried in the OOC walls of posting, I'll be distracted Monday - Wednesday potentially. Whcih is a shame, I'm eager to see what you do against the very obvious wizard's eye.
money
On Master

Post by money »

Time was running out fast, Falkor knew it wouldn't be long before he would be up against these monsters.. Falkor let out a scream, as loud as he could - it was unpredicatable and yet, you knever know, he thought to himself, it might scare whatever was coming off - or at least stall them while they tried to work out what was going on "arrrrggghhhh - Leave at once, or you will be banished". The whimpy voice that came out didn't fill him with confidence (1d20 = 7) .

He then moved towards the shadows to see if it had any effect, the cloak had served him well, but he was sure it wouldn't be long before it's powers wore off, or failed him when he needed it most.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Woohoo, welcome back!

Just to double check, you are still out of your cloak from the previous post, correct? Also, just to remind you, you have a scroll that can cast a powerful OH VEN spell, a wand that you think you can make petrify, a black wand you have no idea about, some broken items of Soorec's. Hmm, I better do a better inventory for you if you need it!

As you have knowledge (dungeoneering), knowledge (arcana), are a mage and in order to get back into this quickly, I will assume you know a little about the wizard's eye. Feel free to roll for some deeper knowledge if you don't have a cool plan worked out already by the end of this!

Falkor stayed to the shadows as best he could, barking his challenge and hoping for the best. Falkor knew enough history of this place, and of dungeons in general, to recognose the array of eyes as belonging to a Wizard's Eye. These creatures ranged in size and intelligence. They were based on more powerful creatures found in the wild, but themselves they were the product of summoning and experimentation.

The things had no mouth, though could communicate with telepathy if given enough intelligence. They were usually small in size, but it seemd logical that the ones Chaos had created were grander in scale. Usualyl the creatures were literally as stated - wizard's eyes. They could be used to see in places the wizard did not wish to go, or wished to be guarded. More complex ones could cast spells, or have spells cast through them. Similarly, while some could only see, others possessed other senses mundane or supernatural.

"I see its words," said a small voice echoing in Falkor's head, even though no words had been spoken. "What is it?"
"I SEE YOU NOT, YOU HIDE!" said a powerful voice in Falkor's head. This one was directed at Falkor himself, or at least outwards into the room.
"I see its scent, it has magic," said a third voice, once more small. "It hides in a room with magic. We will find it soon though."
"I see its heart beat, it is close, we shall touch it soon," said a fourth voice, again small but this time its tone was unpleasant.
"I see its flavour, we could roast it and dine for days!" came a final small voice, even more unpleasant than the fourth and apparently also directing the thought outwards.

From the shadows, Falkor saw the shape resolve itself into a floating yellow ball. It hovered by magic high off the ground, with one huge constantly glistening and oozing eye on the front of its head. They eye possessed an inner glow, perhaps blinding itself to the darkness luckily. However, it slowly hovered and turned towards the teleporter, lettign the glow part the shadows of the place. Falkor did not have much time.

The thing is intelligent enough to speak to, though if you don't use a 0-level message spell there might be a slight disconnect between one part of its conscious hearing you, and all of it understanding you. It is at the entrance of the room, though slightly inside. That combined wiht its hovering means you could make an acrobatics check if you wanted to dart passed it. As it is looking at the teleporter, you would be perceived moving forwards. I think the cloak has about 3 - 4 minutes left of use, if I recall correctly. Though it might be able to sense you in the material plane - you'd need a good knowledge rolll to know for certain either way :)

As a reminder of where everything is. You have a potential scorpion somewhere in the dark outside this room. Back in the other room, throgu hthe teleporter, you'll have the elven spirit, and definitely a scoprion. There may be a further scorpion back in the original tunnels near Soorec's room, if it didn't get bored from attacking the old room's door.

Anyway, excited to see you deal with this one. Or run away from this one.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Umm, sorry for the long return post. I promise to make them shorter :)
money
On Master

Post by money »

Following my encounter with Arbrut, do i have any spells left?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeed. You only used a FUL spell (let's assume 1st level for a small amount of light), one Lightning bolt, and one fireball (both 3rd level). Since you can cast one 2nd level attack spell at 3rd level, one of your attack spells was probably a 2nd level spell. So at 6th level, that leaves you with 4 zero level effects, 2 LO spells, 2 UM spells, and 1 ON spell left. So not defenseless by any means. If you still have the ON level stamina potion from Westian ages ago, you might want to drink it though!
money
On Master

Post by money »

Falkor was running out of time, the wizard eye was fast approaching, and it wouldn't be long till he was found. He quickly fumbled through the items he had collected, and pulled out the 'white' wand... he wasn't sure if it would help... in any event, he could use the cloak once more if he needed to dissapear. He carefully waved the wand, focusing on harnessing the magic (1d20 = 7).

OOC: If I have the potion, I will take it - no idea if I still have it though - so much has happened and I'm a bit lost on my inventory. Also, I'm guessing I'm not actually in battle yet untill i try to use the wand, if so I want to "ready" the cloak immediately I'm noticed.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I've lost track a little too, but that was my memory - Westian made Falkor an UM level potion, which he never drank. So please roll 3d6, which becomes the temporariy hit points Falkor will have for this encounter. He'll no doubt need them :D

Hmm, natural 7, +7 for 5th level Falkor's knowledge (arcana). I'm going to assume you'll put a point into arcana for your 6th level (we never did get around to finalising that!)? If not, I think I allowed you a bonus to your next try because you played with it in Soorec's room anyway. So either way, you get passed the DC15...

Falkor focused the energy of the wand on the wizard's eye, hoping to time it before the creature turned.

"I see the scent of magic! " came a small voice, and one of the twisting eyes turned in a serpentine manoeuver towards Falkor. The wizard's eye itself turned around on its axis, and the large eye cast a bright light into Falkor's face. Nevertheless, he concentrated on the wand, because he could feel the flow of magicpouring out towards the creature.

"I see our body tighten!" said one of the small voices with a tinge of panic.
"YOU SEEK TO FIX ME! I SEE WHAT YOU ARE DOING!" said the booming voice in Falkor's head.

Falkor realised the glare of the bright eye was lost at the distance he was to the eye, he was safe from whatever effect if generated. However, the four other eyes seemed eager to twist - slower than before - and affix themselves on him. Like an echo, two sets of voices spoke a set of runes, and another set of two voice spoke a second set of rumes...

The eyes are about to fire UM level spells at you. It's up to you if you want to keep goign with the wand (you'll need to to keep the effect going and attempt to fix/petrify the creature) or if you want to run/cloak.

I guess it depends on what you roll as extra hit points right now, doens't it? :D Remember your hit points should actually be 1d4 more than your character sheet says right now anyway (for 6th level)
money
On Master

Post by money »

Hit Points: Falkor: Rolled 1d4 and got 1
Potion: Falkor: Rolled 3d6 and got 6 1 3 (10)

Falkor was terrified, he knew what power these golden eye's possessed, he heard stories of the mightiest of warriers turned to dust in seconds... or a mere blink of an eye as seemed more appropriate - still, if he was to win this battle and become the hero he believed he could, then fate needed to deal him a good hand. He continued his focus on the wand, and felt the energy grow, greater than before... Falkor: Rolled 1d20 and got 18.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So the 1 is adjusted for the min(3) i give to hit point rolls, but there's the -1 for low con, = 2 extra hit points. So 14 hit points, and 10 temporary points, for 24 in total.

Falkor stood bravely against the creature. Feeling the power working, and knowing the creature could not advance forward was some comfort. However, those cruel gloating eyes could still seal his doom. AS if to demonstrate, twin bolts of lightning smashed into his chest and shoulder despite him twisting out of the way. The extra focus of Westian's potion meant they were glancing blows, but there was still the singed sting of them. The electirc discharge made him taste tin in his teeth, and his hand felt a ittle numb.

I give you 10 temporary hit points, thne do exactly 10 hit points of damage with lighnting bolts. What can I say :)

With greater determination Falkor moved to turn the thing before him to stone. Twin ZO bolts also fired towards him, a strange choice. One missed him, but the other struck his hand. Falkor felt the desire to flex his hand open. What a novel - and irritating - use for the power of ZO.

Good roll on the wand, especially given your additional knowledge(arcana) bonus. So I'll say at the very least the thing can't fire again. Roll me an opposed disarm roll against the ZO spell (basically make a melee roll). The thing gets a 2 (UM powered spell) for you to oppose. However, as it's not a melee weapon its targetting, you take a -4 penalty on your roll. Note you could always do this in return with a ZO spell on others. Just note that the disarm roll is equivalent to the spell level, so it's very unlikely. Hence why you never could do it in the DM game I guess :D

Anyway, if you manage to hold onto the wand (very likely) assume you get to finish the petrification and the wizard's eye falls to the ground, dead and stone-y. I'm still tweaking the spell, but happy for it to be that powerful just now. Afetr all, I tried to kill Haynuus with it, only fair you get to do the same in return to one of my critters!
money
On Master

Post by money »

OOC: Before creating some nice narative to finish off this monster... best check if this passes (I'm Worried)Falkor: Rolled 1d20 and got 3
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, ouch! Yup, roll of 3, +1 for Falkor's melee bonus, -4 for non-weapon item = 0. Falkor drops the wand!

Luckily, good paralysis before, so I'll be nice. Falkor can either try to scramble for the wand (DC15 acrobatics check) and then try to re-blast it before it recovers, or Falkor gets a free run away before the paralysis wears off.

Edit: Actually, DC15 seems a little harsh for somethign as simple as quickly grabbing the wand. DC10 seems better. Note this is just to pick it back up fast enough to try again without a 'break' in the spell. If you fail, you can still try again, but it will count as a second (and final) use of the wand :(
money
On Master

Post by money »

Falkor's nerves started to show, the tingling in his arm unsettled him and he dropped the wand. time was clearly of the essence, it wouldn't be long before he was turned to Halfling toast, he reacted quickly, grabbing the wand (16), and pointing it straight back towards the eye casted his last gasp effort to petrify the creature... (1d20 = 6).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hmm, need to consult my notes on wizard eye fortitude and how I was handling paralysis, but since you made the grab, you are continuing the previous attack uninterrupted, so you keep a wand charge, and the previous ill effects are still on the wizard's eye. So I don't feel too hesitant to hand-wave your wand roll (you'll be pleased to know). So yeah, it will take Falkor another round, but since the wizard eye is a special case with less appendages to freeze up (it instantly loses its eyes mobility and hence ranged attack, for example), it can't really do anything to you anymore!

I'll post once I have more information if you've snuck a victory here (so you'll know the exact mechanics for next time), but I believe you've won it legitimately :D So go ahead with that narrative wizard eye death!