Petal's character sheet

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Petal's character sheet

Post by raixel »

Name: Petal
Race: Pixie
Class: Sorcerer
Alignment: CG
Level: 6
SZ: S
Physical Stats: Physical Stats: Height: 2'10 Weight: 40 lbs Hair: Black Eyes: Opalescent

Abilities
STR: 10 (+0)
DEX:18 (+4)
CON:14 (+2)
INT:10 (+0)
WIS:12 (+1)
CHA:18 (+4)

HP: 32/45
AC: 16, 17 when using dodge (+4 dex, +1 Sz, +1 Misc)
INIT: 4 (+4 DEX)
SPEED: 20ft (land) 60ft (fly,good)

Saves
FORT: 4 (+2 CON, +2 Base)
REF: 6 (+4 DEX. +2 Base)
WILL: 6 (+1 WIS, +5 Base)

Attack Bonus
BAB: 3
MELEE: 4/8 (BAB +3, STR +0, DEX +4(when using light weapon), SZ +1 MISC +0)
RANGED: 8 (BAB +3, DEX +4, SZ +1, MISC +0)

Skills

Max Ranks 9/4.5(Cross class skills are marked with a *)
Bluff (CHA): 8 (Abil +4, Rank +4)
Concentration (CHA): 8 (Abil +4, Rank +4)
Craft(Sewing)( (INT): 0 (AbIl +0, Rank +0)
Knowledge(Arcana) (CHA): 8/4 (Abil +4, Rank +4)
Knowledge(Religion) (CHA): 8/4 (Abil +4, Rank +4)
*Perception (WIS) 5(Abil +1, Rank +2, Racial +2)
*Stealth (DEX): 5/9(when hiding) (Abil +4, Rank +1, Size +4)

Special Abilities/Feats

Feats
Weapon Finesse
Dodge (+1 bonus to AC vs chosen enemy)
Point Blank Shot (+1 attack bonus to creatures up to 30 ft away)
Precise Shot (Able to shoot at enemy in melee w/o -4 penalty)
Spell Penetration (+2 bonus to level check to beat spell resistance)

Special Abilities
Low-Light Vision
Dancing Lights
Detect Good
Speak to Plants

Languages
Common, Sylvan

Spells
Spells Per Day
Lv0 4/day Used/0
Lv1 4/day Used/0
Lv2 3/day Used/
Lv3 2/day Used/1
Lv4 1/day Used/1

Spells Known

VI - health

VIBRO - cure poison

OHBROROS - DEX

ZOBRORA - EE (mana)

YAIR - SHIELD

YAIRDAIN - Sp. SHIELD

OHEWKU - STR AURA
OHEWDAIN - WIS AURA

VIBRONETA - HEAL CASTER

ZO - CLOSE/OPEN

OHIRRA - LIGHT

OHEWRA - MAGIC WALL-SEE

DESEW-HURTY GHOSTY

FULIR-FIRE IN THA HOLE!

OHKATHRA LIGHTNING BOLT

OHKATHROS PULL

OHEWSAR - INVIS

Items
3 empty flasks(in satchel)
15 ft of rope (worn as harness)
Satchel (slung over shoulder)
Pixie dress (worn on body)
Wuuf's flask/UMVI potion(in satchel)
Waterskin (full, slung on harness)
Growlgra's dagger (slung on harness)
Bread, cheese, apples,dried meat,dried berries. (2 full meals worth of food/4 half meals) (in satchel)
Spice(?) packet (in satchel)
Signet ring (in belt pouch)
Iron spikes and small hammer (tied to loop in front of satchel)
2 Iron keys, 1 gold key.
Parchment, ink, quill (in satchel)
Notes about chaos-tainted area and plant dragon/flora/earth samples from tainted area(in satchel)
Notes about VI tree and map of surrounding area (in satchel)
Whetstone (in satchel)
Torch, unlit (in satchel)
Last edited by raixel on Fri May 27, 2011 1:44 am, edited 8 times in total.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Petals backstory!

Post by raixel »

Petal awoke in her treehouse in the forest of her people, called He'lioth. The sun was streaming in through the windows, and she winced as the beam hit her eyes as she stood. Her head felt like an over-ripe melon, and she knew she shouldn’t have stayed up all night drinking SARwine with that tribe of free-running elves that came through. But she had reason to celebrate. A week ago was her 3rd Quarter Celebration. She had lived 75 years and had passed the Test of Harmony. She was to be a Sorcerer, one of the few who the mana spoke to and walked both the path of NETA and DAIN, Even as she stood hung over, she could feel the slow life pulsing through the sculpted living tree that was her home. She closed her eyes and let her mind spread. The leaves rustling outside in the wind whispered ‘OH, OHH, OH,’ as the wood under her feet resonated with a deep ‘YA, YA, YA’. She imagined the brook that wound through the pixie village trilling happily along as its mana sang ‘VIVI VI VIVI’, although she couldn’t actually feel it up where she was. Such was her power, as she was one with the mana. Unlike a wizard, who spent years of study to focus their wills upon mana, or a priest who asked one of the High Lords for interdiction a Sorcerer flowed with the mana, spoke to it. She blinked and focused mana into the glass bulb sitting on the table nearby, imagining the brook flowing into her and from her into the flask. “LO VI” she murmured, as a blue liquid appeard in the glass. She smiled and drank it down. Her headache melted away and she felt ready to face the world. Dressing in the simple gauzy shift that all pixies wore to facilitate flying and tying on a money pouch and market bag, she pushed aside the glass bead curtain that screened the landing pad of her home and stepped out onto the platform.

The day was crystal clear and very hot. She could hear the trilling sounds of the Sylvan language as the pixies went about their lives. Small forms zipped by her landing pad, some carrying baskets or small packages bundled on their backs, perhaps on their way to the market square. She had heard last night a tribe of centaurs was going to be making their way through the village today for trade. Although the large horse-men made her uncomfortable with their stomping hooves and loud booming voices, she was interested in buying a sheaf of hunting arrows. Checking to make sure no-one was underneath her platform, she stepped off into the air and spread her wings. She fell about 5 feet in a controlled dive, then beat her wings furiously to gain altitude. When she was level with her house, about 25 feet in the air she flew forward, darting past a mother pulling her young son along on what looked like his first flight. The poor pixie boy’s eyes were screwed shut, and he held his mother’s hand in a white knuckled grip. The older pixie nodded at Petal as she flew past .

“Balanced Mornin’, Petal,” she called.

“Morning, Lilly,” Petal replied. “Morning Elorin.”

The pixie boy squeaked out a hello behind gritted teeth at Petal’s retreating form. Petal chuckled to herself at his fear. She remembered her first flight too. Was it really only 50 years ago? It felt like ages. She remembered trusting in her father’s firm hand as she stepped for the first time off her family’s landing pad without a harness, felt the shock of her wings supporting her completely for the first time. She could still hear her father’s voice telling her it would be alright, her wings would beat without her having to remind them to, like breathing. Only 50 years ago. And now she was a Sorcerer. If only her father could see her, he would be so proud. She looked in the distance toward the Mountain. Mount Anaias, where her father and older brother Thorne went missing. Its dark form loomed up into the sky like a claw thrust out of the earth. When she was young, she imagined the Grey Lord in his laboratory, keeping the world safe from those High Lords that would do mortals wrong. But ever since a year ago, when the Tragedy happened, and her brother and father answered the call to stop Lord Chaos who had taken over the Grey Lord’s home, she felt nothing but hate for the Mountain that took her only remaining family away.

Lost in thought, she looked down and realized she was at the landing pad for the Market. She chose an empty spot and landed lightly on the ground. Even though most pixie buildings were crafted from living trees high in the air, the Market was set on the ground for the convienence of the ground-bound races. No centaur could climb the rope ladders the pixies had out for their elvish and human allies, and the pixies didn’t feel like ferrying large baskets of goods up and down for their land-bound friends. So the Market had always been on the ground. There was even some buildings done in human style, to make the elves and humans feel more at home during their stays. Petal squinted at the odd square structures. They sat squat on the ground, made out of long rectangular pieces of wood held together with metal. She wondered what it would be like to live in a home made of pieces of dead tree. She could still fell the pulse of mana, as the wood was once alive but it was dull and weak compared to the heartbeat of her home.

‘Why didn’t the humans just ask the tree to shape itself?’ she mused. ‘Could there be some benefit in this?’

Just then the human keeper of the building she was looking at flung open the door and shoved a form out into the dirt. “Ale be 3 copper a tankard, and if ye ain’t got the coin, then ye aint drinkin in here!” he shouted before slamming the door in the figure’s face. The human (for it was a human, Petal noticed) dusted off his leather breeches and straightened his white linen shirt where the innkeepers’ hand had rumpled it before muttering to himself and stumbling drunkenly off down the lane.
Petal shook her head. Although the Council decreed that humans could build their buildings within the Market, and it did bring in a lot of coin and goods the pixies couldn’t make themselves, Petal found humans to be brash, smelly creatures who were always out to get the most of everything for the least amount of work. She had never really encountered many humans, but the ones she did seem to live life like the scatterbug, consuming, breeding, and dying all in a short amount of time.
She reached where the centaurs set up their booth. Many pixies were perusing the merchandise as well as a few elves. She caught sight of a strange creature that looked like a bipedal dog as well. It wasn’t much taller than her and appeard to be friends with an elf. Her natural pixie curiosity burned as she ran up to the dog-person.

‘Balanced day to you,” she said formally.

The dog-man looked her over. She could see its black eyes sparkling and its nose twitching as it took in her scent. It had a long narrow muzzle, erect ears and reddish brown fur, with a darker patch at its throat.

“Greetings, pixie,” it replied in a growling voice, speaking the Common trade language, though it seemed to understand her Sylvan speech perfectly. “May I ask why you have spoken with this one?”

Having been put on the spot, Petal suddenly became embarrassed. “Well, um…I just…I thought you have nice fur” she finished lamely. “I’ve just never seen anything like you.”

The dog-man’s eyes glittered, and he let out a chuffing sound Petal took to be a laugh. “Ahh yes. You probably have never seen one like this one before. This one’s pack is known as Bika. Bika roam the far plains on the other side of the Mountain, so this one is not surprised that you were unaware of it.”

Petal blinked in confusion, “Your people are called Bika? Or you are?”

The dog-man chuffed again, “No, pixie, this one would not claim to be all the packs of Bika, for this one at this time has no pack. When I roamed with my pack, my pack-name was Growlgra.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you, Growlgra.” Petal replied, although she could hardly get the Bika’s name out her mouth.

“This one is also pleased that we have passed speech,” said Growlgra before turning back to his elven companion.

Petal heard a booming voice to her right, and she turned quickly, completely startled. She found herself looking up into the broad, honest face of a male centaur. The centaur had knelt down, to be more even with the majority of his customers, but his head was still a foot above Petal’s.

“And what ken I get fer yoo, lidde won?” the centaur boomed again. Although he spoke Sylvan like all the forest dwellers, his accent was very odd to Petal’s ears. Unlike the trilling chirp of Pixie-Sylvan, Centaur-Sylvan boomed and rolled.

“Um, just some sheaf arrows, and maybe I’d like to look at your short-swords” Petal replied shyly.

“Sure ting,” the centaur answered, while unrolling some pixie sized arrows from a leather wrap at his side. He also pulled a dagger out from the glass case in front of him and handed it to her.

“Heer, yoo try the balance o dis won. I mayd it myself, I did. And heer be yeer arros,” said the centaur as he handed her the dagger and a bundle of arrows.

Petal swung the dagger through the air like a sword, which to her it was. It felt like it was made for her hand. “I like it. I’ll give you 2 silver for the lot,” she stated.

The centaur shook his head “Na, that be ma best dagger. I be not letting et go fer less’n 2 silver 10 copper.”

“2 silver, 1 copper,” replied Petal.

The centaur shook his head again “2 silver 2 copper. That be ma final offer. I be havin ta keep ma foals in oats, ya know.”

“Done.” Petal took the agreed upon money out of her waist pouch and put it on the counter. The centaur’s huge hand scooped it up and placed it in a strong box at his side.

“Pleasur ta be doin bisniss wit ya,” he said as he turned away to help another customer.

Petal took her purchases and stowed them in her bag. Strolling away from the centaur’s booth, she was thinking of buying some food when screams rang out on the other side of the Market. She could hear harsh voices raised in anger. She instantly took off to get a better view, ignoring the laws of the Council about takeoff and landing. At the far end of the square, she could see bluish creatures with clubs were attacking the town. They were chanting something horrible in their guttural language, and waving their clubs like possessed demons.

Petal focused on the power of Fire, sliumbering deep within the earth. Then arcing her wings out she screamed “LO FUL IR” and pointed at the creatures. A ball of liquid fire arced from her outstretched fingertips into the milling crowd of monsters. A few of the monsters burned alive, flailing around as they did, but it didn’t seem to make a dent in the oncoming horde.

“Trolins, here?” she muttered. “I thought Lord Chaos had been destroyed after the Tragedy. That’s what my father and Thorne died for, wasn’t it?”

Wasn’t it? She sent her senses winging out over the mountain. The place she tried to avoid. The place they died.
She was nearly knocked out of the sky by the force of pure raw power. Where before to sense the mountain was the pulse of YA mixed with the crackle of FUL and the balance of the Grey Lord overlaying it all, now there was nothing but an endless voice screaming SAR from a throat torn raw.

SARSARSARSASAAAAARRRRRRRRRR! Petal clutched her head and fell into the Void. As she lost consciousness, spiraling down to the ground, the last image burned into her mind was glowing red eyes, a rictus grin and a silky, whispering voice tinged with madness. “So you have seen me, little thing. Know then that I have made the Corbums . I control the Ways and the Pit of FulYa. The broken lord of balance is gone, and I stand in his place. The weak Grey Lord is no more! Only I remain! Look upon the face of your new Lord, little thing, for I have become whole!” The voice laughs maniacally, the insane laughter of a being wildly out of control.

Petal awoke to find her village in ruins. Thousand year old trees that played home to many pixie families laid shattered, their roots blasted out of the ground by the power of Chaos. The Market lay in ruins. She sat up and took stock of her injuries. Fortunately for pixies, their wings beat without conscious thought, so except for a lump on the head and some bruises she was relatively unharmed. The pixie laying next to her was not so lucky, and his chest had been caved in by a trolin’s club. Petal closed her eyes as she recognized Willow. Three years her junior, Willow was excited to be taking his 3rd Quarter test soon, and had been studying ROS, the way of the Ninja . She carefully folded his limp arms across his battered chest, and closed his sightless eyes.

“Sleep in Harmony, friend. For all things are balanced and you will be reincarnated once more as the cycles turn,” Petal recited the ancient pixie death dirge to her friends’ still form.

She stood up, and looked around in benumbed shock. Bodies of elf, human, and centaur lay mixed in a heap with the bodies of nearly her entire village. Someone had piled the bodies in the center of the Market. Sticking up out of the top of the gruesome pile was a pole with a banner written in blood that read in Common “So die all those who harbor thoughts of Balance. Fall on your knees for Chaos and let him consume you, and you will be spared!”. Petal was filled with rage at the sight of the banner defiling the bodies of her friends and neighbors. She struggled up to the top of the pile, coated in the blood of her village, and tried to take the pole down. But it was much too large for her, and she had to content herself with using her new dagger to shred the banner to near illegibility. She stood at the base of the pile and tried not to look at faces of people she knew. Taking her new dagger, she swiftly drew it across her palm.

As the blood welled out and mixed with those of the fallen she raised her face to the sky and screamed “By my own blood, by the blood of my father and my brother, and by the blood of the innocents who died here, I swear I will destroy Lord Chaos and all that he stands for! I will do it or I will die!”

A rustling in the bushes behind her caused her to spin around, dagger at the ready. A limping, bedraggled figure stepped out, hands in the air. It was the Bika, Growlgra. He had blood crusted around his muzzle, and one eye was swollen shut, but he was alive and whole. Petal lowered the dagger, and ran to him.
“What happened? I remember seeing a face in my mind, and trolins, but then I fell,” she asked in fear.

Growlgra sighed and lowered his arms “That is why this one had travelled far beyond the hunting lands of my pack. For about 26 times of the Howling ago, what this one’s pack called the Great Sundering happened. One of the Pack, a pup-bearer named Wuuf journeyed to Mount Anaias to join with others to defeat the Disbalanced One and restore Balance. She is sung about as a hero at the time of the Howling. This one journeys as well, for during the last Howling, the wise ones noticed Chaos written across the moon. So this one seeks to warn the grass-eaters of the Disbalance that is rising again. But this one fears it has already happened .”

Petal blinked at the Bika’s strange words. “A member of your pack fought Chaos? Did she ever return?” she asked hopefully. “My father and brother Thorne went as well, but they’ve been missing for about a year now. Did she speak of them?”

“No, pixie, that one called Wuuf never returned. It is said that one wanders still, fighting evil. But whether in this world or the next, is unknown. This one is saddened by the loss of your sire and litter-mate. And of your pack” the Bika replied solemnly. “This one heard your heart-cry. Perhaps if the pixie wants, this one and it should travel together?”

Petal took another moment to puzzle out the Bika’s strange speech. When she realized what he wanted she smiled grimly. “Yes, I would like to travel with you. But know, I go to Mount Anaias. I will challenge Chaos and make him pay for the deaths of my village and kin.”

Growlgra shook his head. “It is said in the songs of the Howling that to challenge Chaos is to challenge madness itself. This one fears that the pixie will not survive,” he replied.

“I don’t care. I have notihing left. Chaos will be no more, or I will die trying. You can either come with me, or stay, but I go.” Saying this, the pixie turned towards the ruins of the marketplace and prepared to gather what she needed for her journey.

The Bika turned to help her. “This one will go with you, at least for a time, then. Perhaps all the way,” he said as he sorted through ruined goods for things to take.

Having gathered up enough food, clothing, and weapons for the journey, Petal turned to the heaped bodies lying in the center of the market. Her rage built up as she looked at the innocent faces stilled in death. She pointed her finger at the mound and summoned the power of Fire from within the earth. She meant to cast the spell at the UM level, the highest level she could safely control, but as the rage filled her she felt a syllable tear from her lips she had never heard before.

“MON FUL IR” she shouted, as a raging inferno leapt from her fingers to the corpses. She could feel the fury of the Fire as the hungry flames licked the bodies to ash. Something was happening. The rage of Mana was within her. She could feel its anger at Chaos, anger at the destruction of Balance. It filled her and gave her strength.

She WOULD destroy Chaos. The power of Mana itself wanted her to. She would destroy him, or she would destroy herself.

Bowing her head, she said a prayer for the dead. That done, she turned towards the Mountain looming in the distance, the Bika falling in step beside her. She was unsure of what she’d find or what would happen to her. But she would get her revenge.

She had to. For her family. For everyone.

by raixel