Westian's Personal Crusade (split off adventure)

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Westian character sheet and notes

Post by beowuuf »

"No" said Tosca uncertainly, "I go to king! Only I!" He tried to puff up his chest, but it was hard with Uumack and Westian exerting themselves. The guards seemed just as cowed by Tosca's reaction as by Westian's piercing looks.

Uumack snarled something to his fellow two scouts, and also said something to Tosca. "You go to king, I see to it," said Uumack to Westian. He gestured to Westian, and made more gestures, then said a word to the male crossbow wielder.

Two heads - the heads Uumack had carried earlier - were thrown at Tosca's feet. Uumack snarled more words.

Tosca looked in horror for a moment, and then darted towards the door at the back of the room yelling!

There was a sudden disturbance. Westian's prescence seemed ot cause the guards to hesitate a moment with indecision on their actions. The Trolin crossbow wielders took advantage of this, plugging one of the guards with two crossbow bolts. Aurek rushed forward to intecept the second guard, and Uumack had already starting running after Tosca, club raised high and snarling words.

Tosca had not attacked, but sadly it seemed the negotiations were still one club blow away from disaster!

Oops, it all went a little bit simultaneous! So, guard 1 has two bolts ot the head, might be dead, might not be, Aurek away to engage guard 2, Uumack rushing after Tosca, Tosca about to disappear throguh a door. What's a poor cleric to do? You tell me! :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Seeing the Trolin run, Westian charged after him. “Only cowards run!” he shouted after him in fake anger, hoping that was what Uumack and his guards would want to hear. Springing forward he attempted to get to the door first; either to keep it closed or to get in front of Tosca and block his escape.

He held his staff firmly, but did not swing. Better to see how Uumack and Tosca behaved first.

Okay, so if the door opens in it will be easier for Westian to stop Tosca opening it, otherwise it would be a bit tricky. If Tosca attacks Westian will swing back, doing lethal damage. If Uumack attacks Tosca, but Tosca does not attack, Westian will attempt non-lethal damage. If no one attacks then Westian will not attack either. I don’t know what I need to roll for (running? attacking?), but I got a 19. Sorry for the late reply, although I see you had an even later one last night! :) 3am, wow!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, fell asleep almost right away coming home, woke up stupidly early in the morning! Oddly, seem fine now, instead of having a messed up schedule!

Tosca is not as fast as the athletic Westian and the determined Uumack, and his lead narrows and then disappears as Westian manages to overtake thew Trolin.

"What..coward?"says Tosca, eyes darting everywhere as if lookign to see if there are any guards or weapons that could help him. Instead Uumack is almost on the point of attackign thye man as he seems so animated where he screams. He snarls something - perhaps the Trolin translation - for he ends with the common word 'coward!'. He then says some other words - sayign the word 'honour' and pointign Westian.

Tosca's again takes a step back, perhaps realising no help is coming. Aurek is managing to make short work of the guard, while the first guard seems to have fallen down, and the Trolin crossbow wielders are reloading without apparent care.

"You threaten! Why ...I...take coward threateners to King! You ..will...attack king! You cowards!" Tosca seems very uncomfortable trying to threaten and debate against the forceful Westian, especially in a language he hasn't command over. The fact Uumack is in his face too, and the Trolin doens't have as any help, seems to have knocked the confidence temprarily of one who apparently is used to being in control..

Uumack snarls more words at Tosca, and riases his club...

Westian can try to intercede, or go with the original plan of attacking Tosca along with Uumack, but swinging for non-lethal damage. If so, I'll use the 19 for the attack roll. Roll me damage for the staff in that case!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian held up his hand to stop Uumack. Trying to convince the king to attack the soldiers while at the same time explaining why they had killed a senior member of his tribe might be a step too far. “You will take us to king” he shouted. “No more running.” He held his staff close to the Trolin’s face and snarled. “If you bring us to king then you will live. If not....” Westian trailed off and looked at the severed heads before turning back to Tosca with what he hoped was an unpleasant sneer. “You take us to king. Uumack talks, so do I. We accept decision of the king.”

So an intimidate on Tosca, 19 + 6 = 25. That is assuming the situation can be rescued. If not and Uumack attacks then Westian will join in too, with non-lethal damage. If that happens, damage roll was 2 + 2 = 4.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nice. Good roil, and I think you've finally wrestled the situation away from Uumack and Tosca going at each other.

Tosca's eyes widened. Uumack held himself for a second, but seemed content to lower his club, take a step abck and merely nod to Westian's words. Tosca looks to the door he had been rushing to for a moment, but then seems to relent, the air deflating out of him.

"You can..see king. But..I take you/i[]...and Uumack." Even though Tosca wwas speaking in an unfamiliar language, and Westian wasn't quite acquainted with the nuance of Trolin, he could tell the slight questioning and pleading in Tosca's 'demand'. Apparently, Tosca wished to save face. Westian could not help feel a little proud that a simple priest, one who until yesterday - had it been that long - had not engaged in martial endeavours beyond the practice ground, had now faced down and commanded a high ranking brutish Trolin. Surely there was nothing wrong with taking pride in such accomplishments, especially if they would inspire greater confidence in future diplomatic matters.

Meanwhile, Aurek had held off and given a severe blow to the second guard, before that guard received a crossbow bolt through the neck. The Trolin fell down, and Aurek stepped backwards, splitting his attention between Westian and the Trolins. "Westian?" he called, as if nervous of the situation.

The female Trolin had been the one who had made the shot, and she started to relaod again while walking over to the first perforated guard, as if unsure the Troli was really dead. The male Trolin crossbow wielder adjusted his position, walking around to where the second guard had just fallen. The felled Trolin guard was gurgling in pain, and the male Trolin pointed his crossbow as if to put an end to the suffering. Or perhaps just ensure victory by makign sure his foe died.

Ok, so Tosca is cowed and will apparently lead you to the king as long as it looks like he is leadign you to the king. Whether you let him keep this face, or press him, is up to you. Obviously, intimidate is a fear mechanic, but it's probably the best choice in the situation. So as long as he feels threatened, you should be ok.

So yes, a positive end to this little section. Now the tricky bit - making it to the king, being able to see the king, and then actually speaking to the king! I can't wait :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"You bring us to king. But Uumack talks." Best to allow him to save face Westain thought, there was no point in antagonising him unnecessarily. Push him as far as needed, but no further.

Things were going well, but there was still one very significant hurdle to cross before they even thought about talking to the King. Tosca was cowed now, but in front of the king, with many allies around he would have no need to help them. Indeed he may decide to get some revenge. This had to be addressed before they moved.

"If it goes well, then there will be no trouble for you. If you speak bad words to the king then I will challenge you to a fight in front of everyone. Or, better, my champion challenges you to a fight." He nodded in Aurek's direction as he spoke. "And my champion never loses," he added with a grin.

So Westian is going to try to keep an ever present threat in Tosca's head, to stop him changing his mind when he feels safe. Now only the king to get through! :) If LB is reading this then sorry, I did not mean to put Aurek in harms way just to save Westian! I just thought that as a warrior, and as the "champion" of someone who Tosca was kind of intimidated by, there was the best chance of keeping Tosca in line!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ooh, saturday post. Cool!

"I talk to king!" said Tosca hotly, until Uumack took a half step forward, club tighteneing. However, Westian noted that Uumack didn't follow through, looking to Westian as if for permission, or at least for a sign Westian did not disagree.

Tosca's eyes widened as Westian delivered his 'promise'. Uumach stood down and looked to the paladin, either unsure of the man's worth, or perhaps hurt at being surplanted as a defender. Either way though, it was clear that Tosca realised he was being penned in as well as he usually penned in the unfortunate to be delivered to him. At least in Tosca's case, he was being allowed a choice to not fight for the amusement of his fellows.

There was a brief period of silence, punctuated only by two 'thwack' sounds as the male and then female Trolin crossbow wielder discharged their weapons into Tosca's guards, ending the brief tussle. Aurek had given an odd look at being called upon to be Westian's champion, and gave another odd look as he saw the two Trolins dispatch the two guards.

"I fight for Westian," he said clearly but neutrally after a pause, nodding and gripping his weapon meaningfully.

Tosca paused again, looking over the scene as if trying to look for any way out. However, there appeared none. "I...agree," he said in a small voice.

With that matter settled, those around Westian seemed to venture different concerns. Uumack started speakign of moving off at once to the king. The female Trolin pointed out the guards' bodies, and spoke of hiding them first. Aurek started asking after arms and armour, clearly unhappy - especially given the violence and threat of more - to be walking around with nothing but a club. After all, the elementals might have talked through him, but they had hardly been complimentery nor that hospitable to Aurek.

Tosca looked a little lost, and his bluster was painfully obvious as that. "Yes, go to king...yes, take, weapons and...not weapons... yes, hide others." Tosca pointed to the door behind him. "Put in my room. I help No one look in my room when I not...here."

Good instinct, it's an honourable duel so Uumack would like it as a threat, and of course Tosca would be scared of being shown a coward! I think you might find him at least not outwardly duplicitous now! He's probably more likely to try and throw you and Uumack directly in front of the king, and then have as little to do with you as possible :D

Right, everyone's trying to do everything at once, and Tosc's trying to help everyone do everything at once. Do you want to delay while people hide bodies? Do you want to arm up? If not, better wrangle the troops!

If so, Tosca will try and drag one of the guards into the room, and the female Trolin (being further away) will end up draggign the second Trolin guard. There are a few sets of leather armour that might be able to fit human form. There are a few weapons like short swords, jagged sword-like items and heftier clubs to take. Even daggers and axes if you hunt for a while. There are a few decent sized shields shields (including one with a neta symbol on it!). You could also take a few of the less objectionable fruits and vegetables from Tosca's table if you didn't want a diet of raw fish alone :)

You could always try and push your luck and see and raid Tosca's room, where all the actual good stuff probably is, but that might really be pushing things.

On a completely different note, there is a relatively easy metagame-y way for Westian to link up with Falkor right now. Falkor has even managed to sync back up with the timeline of the rest of you! Obviously money is on reduced posting just now, so perhaps he prefers only needing to read up on his character, and of course you might like being able to build up Westian a little on your own, without needing to always be the balancing 'sensible' character.

However, if the idea appeals, then it can be done - I'll also be asking money to see what he thinks.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian did his best to agree with everyone as they began their preparations. "Yes, Uumack, we move off soon. But first we take some weapons" he said in Aurek's direction. "While we are doing that you can hide bodies" he said to the Trolins behind him.

With that he busied himself sorting through the weapons. His eyes were drawn to the Neta shield and he picked it up and examined it. Looking at the paladin he spoke “You should take this, Aurek. Let us hope it lives up to the promise of its symbol. Anything else here of value?”

He kept talking as he rummaged through the pile. “Will those armours fit either of us?”

So Westian will take any of the following he can find and are appropriate to his size: leather armour, a shield, a sword, dagger(s), a club. But he will not want to spend long, so it will be a very quick search and then we leave. Even if that means he misses out on daggers or something. Also he will let Aurek take the best equipment. As for Falkor, I would be happy to see that old rascal again! :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Tosca seemed relieved, although the female Trolin seemed to shudder at goign into any room with the fat Trolin. Uumack ensured he himself opened the door, although he also made sure he faced back into the room as he did so, to look in on Westian's wellbeing. The male crossbow wielder walked off to the door, checkign the latch was on, and apparently staying as far away from events as possible.

Aurek looked at the slimy trails of blood and grimaced, but then put the matter behind hm as he was able to arm up. The shield WEstian presented to him seemed simple, and the Neta symbol was perhaps merely decorative. Still, it was exquisitely black with the blue neta burning in cold fury - or at leats so it seemed. Aurek made only a token protest for Westian's safety before taking it and weighing it on his arm.

As It turned out, armour was not too much of a problem. For a reasonable amount of discomfort, the Trolin armour could be adapted to human form by over-tightening it aroudn the body. Infact, some of the lesser stuff seemed to have been stretched and snapped from human stuff anyway. And it seemed that it was not merely lowly adventurers the Trolins had stripped for items. Or perhaps they had raided Chaos's dungeon. Either way, a beautiful light silver mail shirt was unearthed where it had slipped off a rack by Aurek. He held it up, showing off the odd design on the front. It seemed to be a YA symbol, except the blue UM and red NETA symbol were apparent if you looked closely at it. There was also delicate elven script written on the outside of the square's edge. 'Flamebain.

Once more, Aurek made a token protest about keeping the item and then doned the item. Combined with his black shield, it seemed ot give Aurek's black and white view of the work and fighting a very visible indication.

For Westian, there were two items that took his attention and were not too bad - a very solid wooden sheild with thick banding aroudn the edge, or a small metal buckler he could attach to his forearm. Both were small enough for him to still manipulate flasks or symbols if needed, though the bucker would also let him grip his staff two-handed in a fight.

The array of weapons was very bewildering, Trolins apparently likeing many spikes and blades and designs to actual practical application. In the end Aurek took what looked like a cross between an axe and a swrd. It was a straight piece of wood, with the end wrapped like a hilt, and a curved blade of long metal jammed into the side. Some spikes were near the handle like a makeshift guardpiece. It certainly looked solid. Aurek was then forced to take a 'short sword' as the only other elegant weapon as back-up piece. This was simply a long spike with a handle, the splike slightly flatten so it might have some defensive use if needed. All in all, Aurek did not need to club he had taken earlier, and offered it to Westian.

Luckily Tosca's knife he was using for hacking bits of unsavoury meats and barely savoury fruits was so vicious that Westian could easily see it standing up to the rigours of combat, and took it while the Trolin was distracted. Westian did find a normal human sword, sadly abandoned in the corner. Although tarnished, it had not yet dilapidated into uselessness. Indeed, picking it up Westian realised that this had once been a fine if plain weapon, possible of some human lord. Westian also realised something the Trolins had not - the dark weight of the pommel piece was not just blackened metal, nor some crude stone, but was an onyx stone. Who knew, it might even be valuable.

Tosca bustled back into the room, the female Trolin having left as quick as she could under the pretence of smeering the guards' blood with some unidentifiable rag.

Tosca's eye twitched as he saw the two humans had taken so many items. Instead he nodded. "Ready...now?" he asked. Uumack snarled something from the side of Tosca, and again Tosca flinched. However, it was clear Aurek looked even more imposing now, and Tosca wilted.

Obviously, any last minute comments or concerns can be addressed now

The group moved off, everyone watching Tosca carefully. However, it was clear that Tosca was more likely to save face by pretending to be in charge of the group and lead them to probably doom of the king, than to call for help after being - effectively - captured.

The well armed Trolins near the secret entrance came back in to view, and faded away again with more nods and gestures of respect as Tosca moved onwards. Although Westian could perhaps note the small grimaces after Tosca had gone. The Trolin was probably not that well loved, just feared.

Back int othe hall, the Trolin them immediately started to move forward towards the main stairwell. Immediately Westian and Aurek were on alert.

"That's the way back to Soorec's room!" said Aurek, pointing the weapon he had not sheathed this whole time.

"What is a Soorec?" asked Uumack. "That your name for swift death?" Uumack looked around and growled and threatened Tosca. Tosca stood defiantly and gestured back. The noise echoed on the stairs worryingly.

"You..want go...king," said Tosca. "Blackskull...mage...quick way. You... attack his...deads. But him...hate...Ghurscha. We go through, him let us through. See king." Tosca almost said it nasty. "I let you talk." He appeared to mean to Soorec. "Unless you lie," said Tosca to Westian directly. "Unless you have... fear." Tosca's piggy eyes sparkled.

Uumack snarled something, but there was a note of uncertainty. He looked back to Westian, as if starting to doubt the steps that had led him to trust the elf. It was clear the grak-graks were a fear of rational Trolins. And who knew how that fear translated to the one who controlled them, despite his small form.

Ok, needlessly long tooling up scene, but hey - weapons are cool, right! :D Will detail them just below. Ok, see what I mean about metagame-y way, but easy to do? So yeah, if Westian goes through Soorec's room again, you can meet up wth Falkor. Also, Tosca' s been pretty cunning really. Imagine if Westian had a choice here! Would he have refused to go through Soorec's room? Actually, I htink without the poke, Tosca would have felt this far too dangerous a route. Like I said, a little metagame-y for Tosca to find his balls for no really good reason here. Still, over to you - how does Westian spin this?

Oh, some details on the items: Fine Sword - masterworked for +1 to attack rolls, onyx could be @50gold coins in value. Tosca's knife - as a normal dagger, no penalties (1d4 damage, cuts things). Club - 'normal' club (1d6 damage)
Leather armour: +2AC, though -1 armour check penalty for it being such an awkward fit.
Light shield/buckler - +1AC, -1 ACP, Take the shield and you can shield bash with it, take the buckler and you can hold your staff two handed if needed. Both are maybe not issues for you, since you can't dual-wield very well. Either let WEstian still use a flask (unlike DM - I'll be swayed by D&D rules here for the sake of playability on play by post!)
Remember you can snag some of the fruits, etc if you like. Evn the unsavoury meat too, just don't eat it. No other items like flasks I'm afraid in a quick search:(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, I forgot to say if you didn't look at the other thread, money's looking forward to join up with another PC again too :) I can't wait to see the trouble the two of you could cause together. Unless he becomes the Mark Anthony of the previous Brutus/Cassius metaphor!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian walked up close to Tosca. "Fear? I do not fear the swift-deaths...do you?" He looked him in the eye. "Aurek and I have faced swift deaths before. So have Uumack and the others. We will be okay. I hope if the mage decides to attack you will be okay too."

Facing Uumack he replied to his question. "Soorec is the name of the mage who creates the swift-deaths. He is not to be trusted. But it may not be a problem. He hates the elven priest too. Wants him dead. He knows that we want the same, I told him before. We tell him we are going to kill priest, he will ignore that we attacked his swift-deaths. Probably.” he clarified. “If not we all attack the mage directly. Kill him quickly. He has magic, but is weak. One or two good blows from a club and some crossbow bolts will be enough. I will also hold back the swift-deaths while we kill him.”

He looked the Trolins and Aurek in the eyes as he spoke, and nodded reassuringly. In truth Westian seriously doubted it would come down to fighting. But giving a straight forward plan would be sure to calm the others.

As he began to move forward he restated the plan. “So mage will let us through. If not we kill him and his swift-deaths” he added with a shrug. He continued to walk forward calmly as if everything was in order.

Westian will take the larger shield, I don't see myself doing any dual-wielding for the foreseeable future. I hope we meet Falkor after we meet Soorec, otherwise... :shock:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Roll me a diplomacy roll if you are around - well, roll one anyway even if its after I run the update...
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Diplomacy was 6 + 13 = 19. Ahh..just missed DC20 :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well that sucks. Let's see if Aurek can aid... Eh. I tried a sense motive, as there's nothing narurally to let him know he might be needed. Rolled poorly enough that the perceptive paladin will be oblivious to what was going on there. Don't be worried...it might not have been anything bad :D

Tosca was clearly shocked at the brazen and unphased response of Westian, and at Westian's bold words. There was fear in his eyes once Westian turned away.

Umack was even more taken aback, though not filled with fear. At first Uumack nodded sagely at Westian's words. Then as Westian calmly discussed how best to kill Soorec, then his eyes widened. There was a pause, and then Uumack slowly nodded, again trying to show understanding.

Clearly, Tosca hadn't managed to follow all the common language words. Uumack seemed to take great deslight in slowly and proudly explaining them. Tosca's face blanched, and he took a step backwards when looking at Westian.

"Orc his guard![/b]" said the female crossbow wielder to her male counterpart who had been silent at the back. The male Trolin shifted his crosbow from one side to the other, but stood straight. "Talk powerful," he said at length, nodding to both Uumack, and also to Westian. It was perhaps at that point Westian realised the male crossbow wielder hadn't really had much to do with the cleric.

Despite Westian's confident words, the fact he actually walked forwards seemed to take everyone by surprise. Tosca started blustering, but Uumack silenced him with a snarled word. "You want lead?" he said in common, sharing a glance with Westian. Tosca wilted, and walked behind the two.

"You get to talk to king," whispered Uumack to Westian. Although it was hard to tell if the Trolin was actually confident, or merely trying to convince himself. Uumack still seemed a little restless, and still gave Westian sidelong glances as they got near Soorec's residence.

Aurek came closer to Westian as they progressed. He did not say anything, and apparently he came forward in anticipation of the danger they could now be in. AS they walked down the stairs, and walked the way the champions had walked not too long ago with Brighteyes, it brought all the memories back. Walking with the gnome who actually controlled the fearsome grak-graks. Not knowing what those horrible undead looked like, nor what they could do. Westian recalled Falkor trying to warn Westian of Brighteye's nature using telepathy, even though neither had truly appreciated who Brighteyes was at the time. Tis time Westian didn't have a clever mage, nor Haynuus's unflagging arm. Nor the knight Sir Farel. He did still have Aurek at his side, and the Trolins were quite impressive.

All too soon, the large solid door to Soorec's room came into view. And, of course, the embarrassing fact was, it was closed. What was Westian to do? Knock?

So, time for a wonderful reunion with the gnome. They're be hugging, and laughs, and jolly fun, and that promised picnic :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian looked at Tosca. “You said this was the quick way. But door is locked, are you trying to fool us?” He did not actually believe that this was the case, but it was always best to put as much blame as possible on others.

But that did not change the fact that the way ahead was closed, and they needed to pass. The further Westian went down this path the harder it was to change track; turning around now was not an option. In addition he wanted to get to the king quickly – leaving Haynuus and Ameena alone in the priest’s lair was not an attractive thought. The longer they spent there the more chance they had of being caught. So only one course of action was available to him.

Banging on the door with his staff he called out. “Soorec, open up. We demand passage.”

If only I had taken some of that fruit from Tosca's lair, it would go well with the picnic.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

:D I'll deliberately leave you hanging to give money a chance to post in his thread - just so you know I'm not unable to update, this is deliberate procrasination! Will update Sunday/Monday either way.