Westian's Personal Crusade (split off adventure)

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Westian's Personal Crusade (split off adventure)

Post by beowuuf »

Temporary story bit and info for Westian. Important bits:

- I've split the party, with Westian and Aurek goign back to the crack to seek out Trolins, and form a distraction for Dolo to follow (being bright shining Larethianites. The water elementals don't even know Westian also has another reason to be nervous about being a lightning conductor!

- Haynuus and Ameena have gone behind the waterfall, and are goign a secret way directly to the priest's area to free Deephold. Westian gave Ameena the holy symbol (which was originally Deephold's) to prove themselves.

- the idea is that both parties meet back at the waterfall. If Haynuus and Ameena don't find Westian and Aurek, they go to the crack to potentially rescue Westian/Aurek. And vvice versa, Westian and Aurek can follow the path behidn the waterfall to find Haynuus, Ameena and Deephold if needed.

- the split seemed narratively good for me to handle Haynuus and Ameena on their own, was easy to nudge as a party decision, but at the end of the day is completely meta-gamey. So,if you are unhappy with it in any way, shape or form, don't hesitate to say. There are plenty of reasons, some player generated by Ian and Ameena, why Westian would suddenly rush back the way he came and try to meet up with the other two. :D

- Westian's ring (from the mummy on level 2, rememebr him) was polished up and rejuvinated by the air eleemntals to be revealed to be magical. It gives the wearer a base 18 ability score unless their score is already that (or greater). Note Haynuus's singlet gives him a base 12 intelligence! Even if you skim the rest of the narrative, definitely read Ian's post abotu that - it was pretty touching!

Anyway, once you catch up on the basics of where you left off, here's what the water elemental says when he speaks to Westian privately (just before the split).

There is a strange insistance in the Water Elemental's manner when he takes Westian to one side alone. "Just as we accept who you are, and accept your pledge to life and Larethian, the priest will do everything he can to destroy that. Already he has dared mock us so close to our centre here. It is obvious he can sense the two of you, and is bending his will against you. Any endeavour you try is doomed if you think stealth will save you. We can offer your group a secret way down, but it will be for naught if the priest awaits you at the end of it."

The elemntal has taken one of the shattered fragments of Haynuus's sword, and with a gentle finger touches the very tip of the shard. A single droplet of water is left behind, a drop that clings to the blade no matter how the elemental turns it. "This drop of water, on such a suitable conduit, will let you know if the priest is close - even if just his will. " The water elemental holds the strange item towards Westian. "Take it. If you doubt your senses, or your safety, look to this. If the droplet feels cold to the touch, you are being watched. If it is frozen, the priest's power is upon you. The damned demoness who treads where she should not, whom we will not name, hates our gift and perverts it. Where her power, or the power of her followers manifests, it cannot help but suck the life out of it. Trust the drop above your own beliefs and senses. They can be turned. This - this cannot. The priest has not the power to disguise his nature."

The water elemental nods. "The Trolins are brutes, but so brutish he cannot turn their minds, nor overwhelm them with his creations. Perahs you can forge a real alliance agaisn tthe priest. Most likely, you will draw the priest's belief, and with it his eye and ire. So distracted, your friends should be able to take your other friend from harm."

Obviously to run you guys in parallel, some fast cuts will be needed to bring you back in line/ However, feel free to ask some IC and OOC questions about this little bit before we move on. If it's fine, we can obviously jump back through the rest of the farewell between the group, and get on with either Westian's quest, or getting Westian back with the party!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Westian character sheet and notes

Post by Ameena »

Just to make a little note here (I just read the OOC part of that last post but skipped the IC bit), it was Haynuus who was given the holy symbol, not Ameena - all she got out of that scene was a green butterfly thingy and a bagful of air ;).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

No problem with Westian being off with Aurek, especially now that I see what is happening in the other direction! I assume Aurek and Westian’s passage will be simple and pain free. I have caught up on the IC thread, some good stuff there.

Westian wished his other companions goodbye as he prepared to move off. “Safe journey friends, may Larethian be with you”.

Together Westian and Aurek moved together in the direction of the Trollins. The journey back felt completely different to the way they had come. The armour no longer weighed on his shoulders and kept him down, and even more the ring gave him a freedom of movement such as he had never felt in his life. Having Aurek back also had lifted his spirits, and he chatted away as they moved. “I hope the elemental was right, last time I tried to speak to these Trollins it ended up rather bloodily.” This was not strictly speaking true - due to the odd nature of the creatures it had ended up in a puff of purple smoke - but the idea was the same.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm surprised at how well they are making out so far! The higher up military guys are pitched differently in abilities, but were all designed to give you lot a run for your money even if approached in a group. Having Ameena and Haynuus hold their own for the moment is a pleasant surprise. Anyway, let's see about you and your completely safe and relaxing walk to a picnic spot, shall we? :D

Whereas Westian spirits seemed to be raised by the loss of his equipment, Aurek seemed to be affected in reverse. He was apparently a little sullen about losing the protection of the armour and sword. Perhaps more importantly, the anonimity it had provided too against the blackskull soldiers. He answered Westian's comments with good enough humour and bravado, but was very twitchy, ensuring Westian moved away from shadows, or kept away from the water's edge. Aurek's eyes showed his doubt about the success of the negotiations.

Soon enough the crack loomed large before them. Westian could see, off in the distance, more leeches had gathered to consume what was left of the previous fight. Luckily, they did not seem to stir at the prescence of the two so far away. Aurek held a torch, and suddenly seemed to realise that it was impossible to both lead your charge somewhere and scout, while also watching their back. Afetr a moment's hesitation, some dark shadow in the corner of the crack's depth got the paladin's attention. Westian could already tell it seemed to be a Trolin body a moment before Aurek's torchlight allowed the man to realise it too.

"No head!" said Aurek in shock. "Left a club, though." The paladin carefully took the club after examining it, but gave the Trolin body only a cursory glance. Remmebering Haynuus's wounds, (and assuming Haynuus mentioned his experiences during the brief rest period at the waterfall) this was probably one odf the Trolins the half-orc had fought. The fact that already bugs and tiny buzzing insects crawled over the body, or that the congealed blood has some form of light fusting of mold on it, was a little disconcerting. The fact the head was quite clearly gone was perhaps the bigger worry.

Feel free to ret-con looking at the body, examining it for clues, or items. Or ret-con any precautions before moving forwards. I'll move us on a step further still just to play catch up with the other time line. A perception check would be needed for the body. More importantly, you'll need a perception check for going forwards.

It was obviously the diversion of the crack that lead to the ledge upwards, where Haynuus had fought. Meanwhile, the crack carried on through the rock face into the mountain. It was wide enough to allow careful entry, although wisps of webbing and root made it a constant fight against the compulsion to stoop.

"Westian, hold," hissed Aurek suddenly. He had obviously spotted a shape in the distance. Westian only needed to get his vision out of direct sight of the torchlight to spot the dull shape in the distance. It appeared to be a large humanoid - very Trolin-like in silhouette. The thing seemed to have a wide long shape - probably a club - help aloft in one hand. It seemed to be carrying a sack or something similar and bulky in the other, dangling by its leg. Unless it had its back turned to them and was very unobservant, it was very doubtful that the two companions were undetected.

And let's stop there for now. Seems like someone's brought a picnic basket basket for the two of you! Ok, ok, or more likely a bag of doorknobs to hit you with :(
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian observed the Trolin body with more curiosity than shock. Haynuus had not mentioned beheading any corpses, and he did not seem the type to engage in such tactics anyway. The creatures of instinct that roamed this level lacked the awareness to behead someone. That meant it must be the Trolins attacking each other. Divisions in their camp? Certainly a sign that they were not a completely united grouping. Maybe this could be of use later, maybe not.

With such musings in his head Westian noticed little about the corpse itself. He proceeded on with his paladin guard. The shape in the distance made him freeze - they were being observed by something. The bag in his hand could contain anything, but something in Westian's imagination painted a picture of a dripping, severed head.

Now was the time to put their plan into action. He simply nodded at Aurek as if to say everything was all right, even if he lacked that confidence himself. Slowly, using his staff as a walking stick and making no effort to remain concealed, he made his way in the direction of the Trolin. In a confident voice he called out "We are here to talk to your leader. We have an offer that he will be most pleased to hear." The serene expression visible on his elf-like features belied the rapid heart-beat and tension that was in control beneath the surface.

Perception on body was 3 + 4 = 7, perception going forward was 6 + 4 = 10.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The Trolin's body was quickly passed by, and looked no better in Aurek's retreating light than when Aurek had checked it. At least the previous Trolins Westian had encountered had faded to nothingness. This body stunk, and had strange fluids to be cautious of running from it. This Trolin had been real. What difference would real Trolins have to their absent-minded cousins?

As Westian was allowed to see an alive and real Trolin first hand, not much really entered his attention. Perhaps a nagging thought that this Trolin looked so different from the three he had seen before, and infact he realised that the three 'magical' Trolins had looked quite similar to each other, compared to this one. This one stood taller, broader, and uglier. The shape in his hand was indeed a complex club. And the other shape - shapes really - in his other hand were indeed dripping. Two Trolin heads. Each one different from the next, but both looking horrible in the frozen expressions of their death.

The Trolin shifted, snarling. He said some loud garbled words that perhaps Falkor or Haynuus would have understood, but Westian had no idea. They were clearly not directed at Westian, although this only became clear when two responding voices came from behind Aurek and Westian. Together with twin clicks that indicated some complex devices of death being cocked.

"We've been tricked! Surrounded!" said Aurek, clearly one movement away from striking one of the two Trolins behind him. Only Westiian's defenselessness in the other direction seemed to stop him.

"I am the leader now!" said the Trolin in a booming voice and broken common. The Trolin lifted up the two heads, and twisted them until the larger of the two came into view. "I think he is not pleased with much anymore. Not me I would think. I removed him for his lack of ...gurnasnack. Do you have gurnasnack? What did you want to give to him?"

As a player, you might recognise you've stumbled into the remnants of the party Haynuus faced. Westian might recognise this, depending on what you decide the two shared in their rest period. Anyway, let's see what you pitch. And don't forget Aurek has been pretty blunt with dealing with threats previously, so you might want to spare a thought keeping him in check too :)

Don't forget a diplomacy roll if Westian gets in full flow. Don't fear a bad one, it doens't necesserily mean refusal/combat, it will just mean you might have to accept of reject a bad counter-proposal...
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian placed his hand on Aurek’s arm, preventing him from raising his club. “Do not worry, brother” he whispered “put your trust in your Lord and all will be well.” He felt very exposed – armour-less and with an unknown number of enemies surrounding him. Doubts crept into his mind about the wisdom of this course of action. Had they been foolish? Had Westian overestimated his own abilities, and arrogantly walked into a viper’s nest?

His eyes were on the Trolin leader the whole time, and now he raised his voice as he addressed him. “You are the leader, yes. No doubt deserved by your skill in combat, and the number of enemies you have left dead in your wake.” He nodded in the direction of the severed heads. “I have no doubt that you will be known as a great chief. But don’t you want more? Don’t you want legends to be spoken of your achievements down through the ages? Don’t you want to be remembered as the greatest chief the Trolin’s ever possessed? Think, who are your enemies? The blackskulls, no? Would you not forge an alliance with another enemy of the blacksulls to defeat them? Imagine what you could achieve. We could hunt them down, and pile their bodies 10 feet high." Westian eyes shone with intensity as he spoke, and his mouth was curled upwards in a smile.

"With the Grey Lord gone all this territory will go to the strongest party. But even more, imagine if you were the leader who destroyed this elven priest! Imagine the songs that would be sung if you held his severed head in your hands! All of this is possible; ignore any cowards who would try to tell you that it is too dangerous.” His eyes flicked to the surrounding Trolins. “It is possible, and you can be the one to achieve it. We have the same enemies, so we will fight by your side if you wish. We possess skill with weapons and even greater skill with magic, just the allies you need in this endeavour. We would be happy to see you crowned king of this entire domain, all we want is to fight with you and the army you now control.”

Bah, diplomacy was 2 + 13 = 15.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's ok, there's a pretty obvious reason for such a middling diplomacy roll :) So I won't have to twist the encounter for your middling luck. Plus it just means I'll trigger an opposed roll to see if he'll counter offer something, or what he might do...

Aurek seemed to be unhappy and a little doubtful, but heeded Westian's words and lowered the club. A little. He stood close to Westian, with part of his back to his clerical brother so he could check out the two Trolins advancing with raised crossbow-like devices behind them.

The Trolin's expression flickered a little as Westian indicated the dead foes it was supposed to have defeated itself. As Westian's voice carried on, the Trolin seems to snarl, and took a step backwards, shaking his head. There was a gurgled sound like a laugh, and he began saying words over Westian.

"Uumack says you speak sky speak, and that your legs are longer than they should be," says a strangely higher-pitched Trolin voice behind Westian, one of the crossbow weilders. "We hate blackskull pink skins, but their weak cloak leaf eater has made deal with our king. Why should we listen to a sky-head who cannot tell a king from a scout-leader?"

The other crossbow wielder and the Trolin beside Westian laugh. However, there is something about cowardice that seems to make the Trolin leader pause.

Feel free to roll a sense motive around now. I don't think you have a nature or dungeoneering knowledge skill to try and gain some insight into Trolin concepts, so you are on your own there :)

"Our king is great," said the main Trolin again. "Our king speak to weak cloak leaf eater. We leave the blackskulls and his dead walking alone, and hunt the swift death that wear our faces." The Trolin paused. "Do you call our king a coward?" A grimace. "What makes a a weak talking sky head think he knows better than our king. What do you think you offer."

Heh, anyway, is was a good pitch. As you might spot, you pitched a warlord destiiny to the lowest scout. Still... a couple of things you said might have hit a nerve or opened up a line of dialogue. Let's see what you do now...
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

“Ah, something made me think that you were the leader of the Trolins...perhaps it was your noble bearing, or the items you carry, or the fact that you said you were. We may never know. But anyway my offer stands, and I would like to make it to your king.”

He thought for a second. “Your king is no coward, I know that he will prove himself to be truly heroic. Anyway you may as well bring me to him, I am sure he would be displeased if one of his scouts neglected to bring such information before him.”

Westian’s mind was working quickly; he had no idea that there was a truce between the soldiers and the Trolins. How on earth could he convince these brutes to change their minds? Perhaps he would have time to think if they brought him in front of their king. Then again, whatever chance they had of defeating these three, they would truly be at the mercy of the Trolin’s if they went to their lair. Doubt crossed his mind, had Aurek been right? Should they simply attack now? Pushing such thoughts back he continued.

“Alliances are useful when there is no gain from battle. But when you could gain so much from over-throwing the cloak leaf eater and his followers the time for alliances is past. A battle between the Trolins and blackskulls is inevitable, you know this. You might as well do it now when you have the advantage of surprise, and allies who can help. And of course a battle gives you the opportunity to gain position in the tribe. No more of this hunting down rabble, a true battle where the great will rise to the top. Bring me to your king, he must make his decision.”
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I laughed quite a bit at the first lines there :D

The Trolin growls, and Aurek tightens his hand on his club with an ominous noise. However, the Trolin then nods. "Yes, strange things need reported. Not to king, though."

However, Westian's further words stop the Trolin dead. "Yes. The King must know this. He not tell us why he bides his time. Some of us not think it wise, there is nothing to gain that we cannot take. And maybe we lose."

The Trolin takes a step closer. "So what do you gain from our battle with blackskulls?"

Nice recovery. The middling diplomacy may still manifest a little, but good words there. Watch yourself, and we'll see where this takes you! I assume you arent aroudn at the weekend?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"What I have to gain is the destruction of a common enemy. I just want to see the cloak leaf eater dead, and his undead destroyed. This is a pleasant thought for us all, no? Putting the heads of your enemies onto a pike, and taking all that they have? The territory to be gained, the spoils of war, the glory...that will all belong to your people. We simply offer to fight with you."

Westian once again patted Aurek's arm. The paladin was an extremely loyal and able companion, but like all others he had the unfortunate tendency to see the world in black and white. The idea of lowering your principles to make a deal with an enemy was something that was bound to stick in his gut. In a way it was short-sightedness, such people focused on the immediate consequences of their actions rather than the long-term implications. He eyed him warily, he would have to have a word with him later.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

And no, I won't be around for the weekend. Even if I have time I have no internet access at home atm.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It was a good thing that Westian again regarded Aurek, for the paladin was obviously growing increasingly agitated by being surrounded by the Trolins. After all, the paladin was the bodyguard. In a way, he could over-rule his charge if his charges safety - and the important mission of his charge - were being put in uneccessary danger. And Aurek had been giving Westian a strange and sick look as Westian had been expounding the virtues of death.

Still, Aurek nodded sliently and seemed to internally calm himself, standing down from whatever heightened senses. He still did not give a friendly look around the Trolins. Especially not when the leader uttered his reply.

"You are right. We should fight. Welcome chance to have talk again on this. You are right, we should pile bodies high and pile heads high on spikes. This should be our place. You are wrong, we not need you. You no have weapons, no friends, no gurnasnack. You are useful to start talks. After, you will need all your head in sky words to stop Tosca from being bored of you and putting you to arena! Come. Move."

The crossbows behind the two were once again pointed straight at the two men as the Trolin leader grunted more Trolin words. There was a snarling laugh from the right, though not from the female on the left. Both crossbows and the bolts they held were waived in the universal sign of 'move'.

Once more, Aurek tensed up...

Your call. Do you go with them, and leave yourself at the mercies of the Trolins, or do you have something else planned? If something else, I'll jump the journey to the next interesting point, and you can perhaps give me some perception, sense motive, or knowledge rolls for the journey to indicate how Westian would be spending his time.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

The nagging doubts in Westian’s head had not gone, they still told him of his stupidity and arrogance. But he refused to change course, they seemed close to the goal of starting a war between the soldiers and the Trolins. The dice were now on the table, there was no going back, it was now a matter of seeing it through to the end. He clung to that certainty as he walked. “The blackskulls can be defeated, even if we must dirty ourselves in the process” he said to Aurek as they walked. “Just remember why we do this.” He avoided saying more on the subject, but rather changed to less important topics when he decided to speak. In the meantime he listened to the Trolins guttural tongue as they spoke amongst themselves, hoping to get a feel for their language and thought processes.

Straight knowledge roll was 3.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

While nagging doubts were weighing on Westian, there was also an odd lightness for some reason, the source of which Westian could not pin down (not without a roll or some player guessing, anyway :)).

Aurek once more - in his annoyingly silent way - did not fully react to Westian's statement, although it was easy to see he was far more comfortable with the idea of ridding this place of the black armoured foes. That Westian issued such strong and sure words about their defeat was perhaps all the inspiration and confirmation he required from his charge and, technically, leader.

Sadly, working out Trolin just seemed far too difficult. It really was just a collection of growls and noises, and Westian couldn't tell when someone was making angry or mocking noises, and when words were being uttered. Infact, the only word he could recall from previous dealings was 'snark-grag', used when decribing Haynuus and orcish men, and 'gurnasnack' that the orc leader has asked if the two of them had possessed. Or some words like that, anyway. When the group was distracted, Westian had managed to get close to Aurek again to confer, but there was no joy with him either. He had, of course, not been with the group for the Trolin encounter, and had a surprisingly obscene and biological response regarding what he thought gurnasnack meant. All Westian could really make out was from the previous conversation - perhaps it was merely the translation to common, but the Trolins didn't seem to have very good adjectives and adverbs for alot of what they were speaking of. Was the priest considered weak because he was physically weak, or weak as in passive for talking and not using violence? Was Westian being described as speaking sky words because they were lofty, or ephemeral, or was it simply the fact he came from above ground? It was perhaps a very brutal language, or at least mindset. Dwelling on his partial success, the biggest gains seemed to be on calls for current actions, rather than future results. Perhaps he needed to speak in the short sighted manner he reviled in others?

"Why you say that word?" said the female Trolin., who had apparently been close and had overheard the reference to snark-grag (I'm goign to take the liberty, hope you don't mind!). She hissed it, checking out that her two companions were, luckily, still engaged in checking ahead and to the side. "You know orc?" The way she said it, it sounded as if she meant a person - Haynuus? - instead of the language.

The female still held her crossbow tightly, and threateningly, but she was much closer to hiss her words and hear answers. "Gurnasnack means 'honour' in your weak words. We thought our old leader had it, but orc came and showed how old leader behave in bad times. Uumack have honour, but him used to being behind leaders not leader. Your weak speak sicken him. Sicken me. He will throw you to Tosca. Tosca leads arena. Tosca not have gurnasnack. Him fat and lazy. He likes to make stong speak with king, because he allowed to. I see Uumack think Tosca will speak your words to king. Might change king mind. But Tosca will spin your words as you speak them. Weak. Sky-like. Uumack needs to words to king. Speak strong words springing from your sky words."

The female Trolin then pulled back a little. "Unless you false. Then you not speak to Uumack again, or I put bolts in your back."

The reason for the distraction became apparent when the other two Trolins looked aroudn at the three of them. The make crossbow wielder said something short and brutal to the three of them, which carried overtones of 'shut up.'

The leader pointed to Westian and Aurek for some reason, however by the time the reason became clear, it was apparently too late.

"You stupid fire-light," said the female Trolin glumly. In the stupid fire-light of the torch, Westian could see a pair of figures in the distance. They were obviously waiting for the party, sice the party's location was easy to see. They appeared to be waiting in ominous silence, thought they were once more Trolin-shaped. The Trolin leader's hails were, for the moment, being ignored.

Ok, will end it there. Obviously, if Westian wouldn't discuss his listening in to the language out loud, we can remove the female Trolin section. Since the female Trolin does get close to the two of you and starts distracting herself, it would be possible to make a grab for her. Obviously, Westian could quietly say one or two thigns to her to provoke some form of reaction. I have assumed the orc party will be answered in the affirmative. If not, I can tweak what she says.

And, of course, most importantly, what - if anything - will Westian do with two more Trolins appearing in the distance. Obviously, it would give him an excuse to speak to the Trolin leader (Uumack) before the other two Trolins are engaged.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian nods as the Trolin mentions the orc. He seemed to remember Haynuus painting himself as some sort of hero to these people, so it might be best to gain favour by association. If only he could remember the details of the half-orcs exploits…he had mentioned them at length while chewing on some fish heads near the waterfall - why had Westian not paid more attention to the details and less to the fish goo running down his chin?

I am going to assume whatever Westian remembers from Haynuus’s tale is the same that I as a player remember from reading that encounter a couple of weeks ago, i.e. not much except vague outlines.

“The orc is my guard. He will be fighting against the cloak leaf-eater too.” He was tempted to play up the association more, but worried that too close a relationship may have the effect of lowering Haynuus’s standing rather than increasing his own. As the crossbow-wielder advised Westian on how to approach the king he listened intently. He came to the conclusion that the crossbow wielder was not a subtle enough creature to lead Westian into a trap, and so the advice may be sincere.

When the distraction arose Westian made his way over to the leader. Speaking simply was not a skill he possessed, but he made an attempt. “When the time comes to tell the king of the plan it would be good if you spoke the words. My words will not please him, and he will ignore the offer. If that happens there will be no battle. Until the blackskulls feel powerful enough to attack.” With that he focused his attention on the newcomers.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sounds about right for the character/player memory overlap :)

The female Trolin seems to be a little taken aback that Haynuus -if that is who she is talking about - was merely a guard for Westian. Whether he had reduced Haynuus's standing in her eyes, or increased his own, he couldn't really tell. "You seem to have made an impression," whispered Aurek, but whether he had seen an indication one way or the other himself, there was no time to discuss.

The leader snarled as Westian came close, half distracted as he called out again. He only seemed to half hear what Westian was saying, as he was trying to look at something. "Yes, king not hear your words. what make you think I get to see king. You in Tosca's hands. Hope he not make you sound like fool. Hope him sound foolish instead."

And then the Trolin leader almost pushed Westian away. Aurek started to come forward, and seemed to barely hesitate about the crossbow being pointed toweards him suddenly by the female Trolin.

The leader shouted words, and then the two crossbow wielders let out violent reactions. There was excited chattering, and the crossbow wielders started to fall back. The Trolin leader really did push Westian backwards this time, and when Aurek darted forward with a club raised, the leader pointed at Aurek and yelled.

"FALL BACK! SWIFT DEATH COME!"

Only as Aurek came forward with the torch, and the two silent figures came closer forward, did Westian's elven eyes finally spot what the Trolin's darksight had seen a little earlier. Aurek still had no idea. The two Trolins looked identical, and more importantly looked identical to the Trolin leader Uumack. One of the false Uumacks gave a crooked smile, pointed to Westian, and then to Aurek, and gave a slow beckoning motion.

Apparently, the group had discovered what had happened to the missing grak-grak guides.

Well, there you go. Everyone is finally reunited, and you can all have that picnic now. Anyway, so will Westian choose a side here, or is there a fun third way out of this mess. I'm lookign forward to seeing :) Remmeber to roll if you need to! I let you off with the Trolin female, because it seemed better as a logical RP outcome than an exciting gamble. I imagine any plan you attempt next will need a little bit of luck!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Oh good. I was hoping that the grak-graks would reappear; Westian missed getting his ass handed to him. :wink:

Oh no thought Westian as it slowly dawned on him what he faced. He tried to convince himself that he was mistaken, but the perfect mimicry of the Trolins features put the matter beyond doubt.

His mind worked quickly as the Trolins ordered them to fall back. The grak-graks were technically on their side; they could approach and have them once again as guides. That would be sure to destroy any chance of influencing the Trolins though.

There was another option; perhaps they could turn disaster into opportunity. The Trolins viewed Westian and Aurek as weak, and this would be transmitted to the king. The king would see no use in having them on his side – even if they could convince them to assault the soldiers there was no reason for them to be kept alive. This was a chance for them to show their use and their power. He muttered a prayer to Larethian “Let your power show by turning these monsters, much depends on this”.

Moving forward to the beckoning creatures he did his best to fire up his companion “Come Aurek, help me cast out these abominations! They are no match for our combined strength!” He held his staff in front of him, brandishing it in the face of the grak-graks. “Return to the hell fires that spawned you, we cast you out!”

Turn undead was 10 + 3 (level) + 2 (Cha) + 2 (bluff synergy) + 2 (persuasive) + 2 (cleric) + 2 (religion) + 2 (snake staff, correct?) + x (for however many 0-level effects I can use, if any) = 25 + x. Don’t know if mechanically Aurek can give an aid another to this roll or not (or indeed, if he would try, maybe he has other ideas). Ooh, nerve-racking stuff! I remember the grak-graks were real SOBs to turn before. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Thank goodness you decided to engage them! I was thinking Westian looked a little to soilid, and that he needed a few more holes poked into him. You never know how to bring these things up :D

The false Trolins started to stalk forward, despite their current form there was something unmistakeable about the way a grak-grak walked forwards. Aurek tightened his club, although his target did not seem to be the grak-graks. He seemed to be looking towards attacking the original Trolin. Perhaps the reaction of the grak-graks previously when their foes were killed put a wild indea into his head.

Westian's cry for aid unfortunately drew the Trolin leader's gaze back to Aurek, and he registered Aurek's intentions. Aurek was temporarily tied in a deadlock with the leader as bothed faced off against one another,while both tried to look out for the grak-gras' movements.

Yeah, he rolled a 1 for his aid another. It's not an auto-fail on a skill check, but he doesn't have the same bonuses as you and so misses even the DC 10 :( So I figured this would be the reason for the failure - not being able to try! :D

The three Trolins were also distracted by Westian's confident sounding movements towards the grak-graks. The female and male crossbow wielders seemed to say something in Trolin that might have been derisive or impressed. It sadly still sounded the same.

"This trick, watch out, they lead us to these..." started the Trolin leader, looking to Aurek and then casting a glance at Westian.

However, his words were stolen when Westian raised his staff. Althoug hthe staff was not really a product of Westian's religeon, he could feel the blessings of a High Lord rested dormant in the twisted length. And Westian ensured he was

The two grak-graks with their smiles stalked forward another step. Westian brandished the staff at one, and the smiling creature...

Frowned. Its smile turned to a grimace. It shuddered for a moment, as if pushed against an invisible barrier. And then Westian bellowed out his challenge. And, for a moment, the grak-grak staggered back as if pushed. The grak-grak at the other side of his also grimaced, although is side step seemed voluntary, as if moving away from an awful smell or a strange patch of ground it didn't trust.

There was a pause as perhaps everyone was surprised. Theer was also a very unpleasant moment where, perhaps, Westian might recall the semi-controlled nature of the grak-graks when controlled by Soorec's consciousness, or sub-consciousness, as opposed to the grak-grak in their 'native' form, all rage and aggression. Being killed brutally was not a memory one could easily shrug off, no matter the grace and blessings of one's High Lord. Memories of shredded soldiers in Aurek's cell area also trecherously came to mind.

However, the grak-grak's did not attack. The pause finished. Both took another, voluntary step backwards, and as one their features altered to Westian's. The one that Westian had actually pushed seemed to bow, althoguh a moment later it was clear it was actually drawing a shape on the ground. The creatures then, very slowly, started moving aroudn the group, cautiously. There seemed to be more control in the movements. And a less hostile attitude. Were Westian to allow his imagination to roam, he might guess that Soorec had just been reminded of his grak-graks after the distraction of Falkor's disappearance. And that the gnome mage was fortunately giving Westian a message that would certainly do his standing no harm.

And of course, thought he felt exhausted from the plea, apparently Larethian had once more heard His servant, and granted him strength exceeding the situation.

"Corellon be praised," murmered Aurek.

The Trolin's had a far more elegant demostaration of being impressed, all lowerign their weapons and staring at Westian.

"Trick!" hissed the male crossbowman.

The leader snarled something vile in the Trolin's direction. "If it trick," he said in thick common, "not matter. He can command Death to leave!"

"He say that orc who beat Goga is his guard!" said the female Trolin.

The Trolin leader Uumack looked at Westian again with unfathomable eyes. "You get to speak to Trolin King," said Uumack. "I see it happens."

It was a remarkable turn of fortune brought about by a remarkable increase in Westian's powers. In a small but significant way, he had managed started to feel the power those in the next level of order felt. There was a small thrill to that. Perhaps he had not been arrogant. Perhaps he was simply learnign to trust his undoubted gifts...

Of course, the feeling was marred by two small things. The first was that although ther Trolins were indicating moving forwards, the mark in the dirt the grak-grak had made was a crude arrow. A crude arrow pointing right, into strange cracks in the wall.

The second was that a smallbutterly appeared in the air, and landed on the snaking staff. It was a beautiful moment that even Aurek raised an eyebrow at, before he too realised the significance. It was the butterfly that Ameena had been gifted. Or at the least a twin of it. THere was obviously a message being send from a different source, that it should come seek him out now...

And we shall leave it there! Hey, I did actually hope you might engage the grak-graks. I was interested to see if you'd ditch the Trolins, stand back and maybe let the two fight, offerto go wit hthe grak-graks. The funny thing is that the grak-graks are still tough creatures to turn. The previous encounter, they were just beyond your turning level (cleric level + charisma bonus = max HD). However, I think then you rolled so well the first time you actually shook one (I decided the size of the success meritted it). This time around, they are just within your scope. Combined with powering up your turning with the 0-level effects (yes, you can do that to add skill points to a roll, I decided no roll needed for it) it meant you got a good result. Better for the first one rolling poorly. Infact, good enogh I checked the second one aswell, and a middling resist meant I let it be intimidated too.

I thought you might buy yourself or your Trolin friends a brief window to run or attack (Spot Aurek's plan), but instead I figured you were probably lucky enough to re0-attracted Soorec's attetnion.

Anyway, now you have a choice -well, kinda three. Carry on with the Trolins, since you actually might have allies now, instead of people resigned to nothing changing who would ahve thrown you to the next highest Trolin and walked off. Or, you have the direction hinted by the grak-graks. Very liekly, the direction of the Dolo Smitre. Or finally, Westian could investigate the butterfly, to work out if it's a 'hey, all's good, come back' or a 'something bad's hapened' message.

Not bad though, the grak-graks are very much equivalent to D&D (not DM) mummies, so are one of the toughest undead you'll see. The fact you can touch them, and know some of their secrets now... let's just say, I htink you and Aurek could take a single grak-grak out right about now. And given the surprises you lot keep giving me, perhaps you and Aurek could have beaten these two! Whooooo knows. Still, your turning only gives you a small window still...and they are still hard hitting and tough SOBs.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, and sorry for placing explicit thoughts into your character's head, but you might notice I might...just might...be starting to play with what you've said, and be setting him up for something :p
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian did not openly revel in his small victory, nor did he show any emotion on his face. It would seem to an observer as if this turn of events was entirely expected and unremarkable to the half-elf. Still silently he praised his High Lord for answering his prayers and promised to repay the faith put in him. He wondered how he would do this. Perhaps by becoming a missionary for some years, and spreading news of the High Lords to the savages in far off lands? No, there was no need to go crazy. That sort of thing was the preserve of the martyrs, those priests who felt they should prove their piety by suffering. Westian, having no time for such doctrines, tended to ignore this nonsense and focused instead on putting his talents to use wherever they were most needed. He could hardly be blamed for the fact that diplomats were most needed in more opulent surroundings. With the obvious exception of now he thought, examining his dismal surroundings with a barely supressed smile. Maybe getting Deephold out would be a good start, followed whatever else he could achieve for the glory of his order down here.

Shaking himself back to the present he looked Uumack in the eye and nodded as he spoke. “Let us go to the king. Now is the time to attack.” With that he prepared to follow the Trolins as quickly as possible, without giving the impression of running. He steadfastly ignored the arrow on the ground. It might lead to that priest, but going into his lair on their own was possibly not the best idea. They still would stick out like a beacon due to their allegiance, and could easily be overwhelmed - especially since they wore no armour, and possessed only rudimentary weapons. No, it was better to move in under the cover of an all-out war.

Then the butterfly caught his eye. Genuine joy at the sight of unexpected beauty filled his face, followed by confusion over the message. He struggled to restore a neutral expression as he examined the creature, once again as if this was the most normal thing in the world.

So basically trying to get away from the grak-graks as quickly as possible, just in case they change their minds. Perception on butterfly was 9 + 4 = 13. No worries about putting thoughts in Westian's head, they always fit with his character anyway, including the updates when I was away!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Good to know! It's the curse of a GM with good players on PbP. It's always tempting to keep sneaking some action with the players' characters, and usually it's too weird to get the same feel and actions as the player would do.

Speaking of nudging your character, I assume you won't mind us taking the show on the road and carrying on a bit then since you've got the direction sorted out. AS you will see, the butterfly isn't really speaking. If you want Aurek to give it a good seeing to with his club, say, but otherwise... :D

The butterfly sat in Westian's staff. It sat there was a while, facing him. It slowly lifted its wings, and then lowered them again. There did not seem to be any reply, nor message, nor anything forthcoming from the beautiful creature. At length there was a pause in everyone aroudn Westian, as if waiting for him.

Whcih of course, they were. The Trolin leader Uumack had nodded but otherwise his attitude had altered completely from the derisive one a few moments ago. The Troln stood up straighter, and walked ahead of the group as if taking point, instead of leading prisoners. The two crossbow wielders spead out. The female looked impressed at Westian and Aurek (as much as such expressions could be read), while the male had a neutral expression. Both spent alot of time looking backwards iwht their crowwbows facing away from the two men of Larethian. It appeared that it had been that easy - if this was the right word - to convince the Trolins.

Westian knew the butterfly had stayed on Ameena's shoulder when she moved, and also knew the staff he held was attuned to nature. He took the risk of moving normally, and the butterfly seemed content to sit on the staff as if a new ornament upon it. Aurek did keep looking to the butterfly as they moved.

"Do you really mean to start a war between the Trolins and the blackskulls?" asked the paladin quietly, when it became obvious they were now mch more able to communicate together. "What of finding the others? What or the rescue?"

As the pair travelled and talked, the cracks and twists began to reveal natural brick-work. It did appear that the group had now properly got back to the dungeons of the Grey Lord again. Everything became better ordered, althoguh the bricks and floor has a hard black dry much embedded everywhere.

It seemed that the Trolins started navigating a few well-worn corridors, and the two crossbow wilders came forward to paymore attention to alternate routes left, right or onwards. Very soon, the group came to a stairwell. Or at least it looked like a stairwell that had been collapsed - only the bottom few stairs were visible, the rest was solid boulders and smaller rocks.

"Gnome waved his hand, and the swift death destroyed out stairway!" hissed Uumack. The other two make muttering curses in the Trolin language, one could guess. "We need to take secret way up to near Arena. Then if Tosca persuaded, we come back down and see KIng." Uumack had tightened his grip on his club in a strange way when he mentioned persuading Tosca.

It was at this moment that the butterfly alighted from Westian's staff. It hovered in the air for a moment around Westian, and spiraled around the general vicinity once. It floated across to the rubble, and landed at a small crack. With a set of movements that seemed amazing for such a large creature, it seemed to manage to crawl int othe rubble. It did not reappear.

Ok, I'll end here just so you can take stock, answer and even plan actions with Aurek (shame it's not really LB to plan with). And of course question your slightly more pliable guide with questions about dealing with Tosca. So that will be tomorrow for set up, and unless something complicated comes up, I guess you will be dealing with the arena-master himself on Monday!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"Yes, I do mean to start a war" Westian said firmly. "I mean to bring down that priest and stop his hideous army of undead." Westian had not verbalised that desire before, and it was finally an acknowledgement of the almost sub-concious mission creep that was developing. The scope was expanding beyond a simple rescue mission into something more. "I believe that Lord Larethian has greater plans for us here beyond finding Brother Deephold. It is no accident that Deephold has been held by such an enemy of our faith."

"As for the others, we simply have to trust them. And finding them, finding Deephold and stopping the priest are all different facets of the same jewel. We cannot march into the priest's layer on our own. He will see us and overwhelm us with his servants. Such a death may be noble, but it will achieve nothing for Larethian. On the other hand if we start a war the priest will be distracted. That will make life easier for Haynuus and Ameena, and make it easier for all of us to find Deephold." Just discussing the priest made Westian feel uncomfortable, and he fidgeted uneasily with the water droplet the elementals had given him, for reassurance if nothing else. "Do not worry, brother. We are on the cusp of achieving something truly great here."

Westian was sad to see the butterfly leave, but paid close attention to where it went. Perhaps it had wanted him to change direction? To go back to the waterfall? Too late now, the wheels of a different plan had been put in motion. Westian enjoyed the feeling of authority of deciding his own fate. He idly wondered how he would feel if he returned to his old life in the order after this ordeal, assuming he survived. Could he simply go back to jumping at every command given to him by his superiors? Angry at himself for thinking that way he reminded himself that the structures and ranks were there for a reason, and thought about it no more.

When Westian found himself closer to Uumack he spoke to him in confident tones. "You think Tosca will not like the attack plan?" He looked the Trolin in the eye as he spoke. "That is a shame. It would be bad that he decided the fate of the entire tribe. Is he worthy of such an honour?" Westian asked innocently.

Diplomacy was 3 + 13 = 16. Hmm, could have done better! But at least it beat a DC 15.
Last edited by oh_brother on Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Oh, I forgot to link to that roll, it is here.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aurek did not say anything for a long few moments. "You have my sword arm," he said, with a curt nod and a tone of approval. Or at least, it was a tone of approval to Westian's ears. "How will we avoid our companions being caught in the crossfire?" Aurek asked, although they were distracted by the Trolins coming to the destroyed stairs. The butterfly seemed to be heading upwards if it managed to get through the rubble, so that seemed an odd choice if the butterfly wanted them to get back to the waterfall. What could be upwards?

Uumack was taken aback as Westian posed the question. "Tosca earned his place," said the Trolin, uncertainly. "We go this way." The Trolin waved his complex club in the direction of a partially ruined corridor, and the gestuired with the severed heads he still possessed to emphasis the point.

However, he did keep looking towards Westian at quiet moments of walking in contemplation. Westian could almost see the germ of an idea taking root. The Trolin certainly did not have the standoffish nature around the cleric as he used to be. Westian caught the look of the female Trolin behind him. She had perhaps caught something of the conversation, as hushed as it had been. Her expression was neutral, however she likely did not wish to reveal her part in the slow tipping of her leader's mind. The only small niggle was looking to the water droplet on Haynuus's broken sword. There was no indication of anythign strange at all - save the droplet did not fall from the sword nor get absorbed by its surroundings when placed anywhere. It felt warm to the touch, or as warm as expected. Did that mean the priest was not watching him? Was that not the point.

No, because it appeared that short term distraction was not what was happening here now. Westian needed secrecy now, so that he could actually mobilise the Trolins. All of them! Haynuus and Ameena would be fine, and then he could provide a decisive action.

The corridor they followed was had ugly red twisted roots sticking out of the wall at various intervals, whci hthe Trolisn seemed to take pains to avoid brushing against. "Up this way" said Uumack eventually. It seemed to be a set of broken stairs, but at least this was only a normal abandoned definition. There were chips, and the occasional small area of brickwork along the side cracked.

The Trolins slowly made their way upwards, the crossbow wielders hanging back as much in respect of the paladin and cleric as to watch the rear. After what seemed like an age, suddenly the Trolin stopped as if a wall were infront of him. The stairwell did continue, though there was also a small alcove off to one side, as tall as ceiling and very wide. There seem to be a green gem in the side of the alcove.

"We cannot go further up. Not allowed." The Trolin pressed the green gem in the alcove a certain way, and an area of wall slid open. It was like some cunning swarfish secret wall. "This way."

The Trolin walked out into an area of corridor that seemed familiar. There were stairs going up and down from it. It was an age ago, but Westian realised he had walked down the two sets of stairs. It was where the group had walked on their way to Soorec's room. Infact, there was the identical green gem opposite.

Uumack looked left and right and then moved quickly across to the other side. He pressed the stone there a certain way too.

Again, a wall slid open, and the Trolin motioned for everyone to move across. The revealed corridor twisted around, and behind the group the wall slid back again.

The corridors were cleaner, the brakcwork less broken. However, there were strange sounds faintly echoing in the place. The occasional sound that could be a scream. Tapping and ringing sounds.

A group of Trolins thtat were well armed came forwards from the shadows, apparently alerted to the presence of intruders.

The Trolin growled something in his language at the group, giving an awkward look to Westian after he said it. The name of Tosca was obvious in the snarling. The Trolins moved out of the way, and the group was allowed to move forwards.

Not long afterwards, there was a solid doorway on one side of the corridor. Two more Trolins - very well armed with thick and padded leather - looked with disdain as the group came forward.

"Garga Tosca!" Uumack bellowed, pointign to the door. The guards took a moment of innaction to communicate their disdain once more, but then one did pound on the door. A set of low rumbles followed, and the guard then bashed the door release to open the door.

Inside was a large room - almost a hall - where a single Trolin had apparently made his residence. There was an upraised platform along the wall adjacent to the door. There seemed to be a wooden door in the diagnomally opposite corner of the room. The rest of the room seemed to be takenu up with a clutter of items - armour, and arms lying hap-hazardly on weapon racks, and a large table upon whcih some simple food and tankards were placed.

The room's only occupant seemed to be an overweight and broad muscled Trolin. He turned sluggishly, and burped loudly. A set of growls came from his lips, obviously directed at Uumack. The piggy eyes set into the Trolin's face looked over both Aurek and Westian speculatively but dismissively, as if examining sub-standard weaponery.

And that's Tosca as you may guess! Well, maybe... So, what wil lyour character do? Take the lead, or recede into theb akcground for a moment?

Luckily, for the roll, if you check the diplomacy skill page, you can see that 15 actually buys you something once you have a decent relationship. 15 turns an indifferent to a friendly. Uumack was dithering between indifferent and friendly (after all, this could now be a trick by a powerful alternate priest...wait, it is!), so let's put him to friendly. At the right time, another diplomacy check working on him hitting DC20 or above (which isn't that hard) might even get him onto helpful.... Or, you know, I might just have you fight something nasty to do the same thing :p

And very shakespearean of you, with your subtle direct question regarding honour. You're like a Cassius to his Brutus, aren't you? :D

Anyway, I like that the grak-grak thing worked in your favour instead of turing int oa run/fight/etc. This seems like it could get very fun very quickly!

Oh, obviously if Westian wanted to try and walk up the stairs where the Trolin stopped, we can alter the end of this section. Otherwise, it's up to you if Westan plays a waiting game, or leaps in to speak to or confront Tosca right away. If he's playign the waiting game, obviously I still need to know an idea for how Westian would be reacting to what Uumack might say, and any conditionals that would make Westian jump into in with words or actions.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Well let’s hope that it ends more happily for Westian than for Cassius! :)

Westian stayed behind Uumack, standing tall and straight with his staff in one hand. He listened to the Trolins speak, but did not take much part. His only input was to back up Uumack’s story. When discussing the battle he added “I have two men currently infiltrating the soldier’s layer. A powerful orc, and a murafu scout. Similar to the pain rats, but more cunning and with the ability to speak.” A knowledgeable listener would have been hard-pressed to identify Ameena from that description, but factually it was true. “They will certainly cause problems for the blackskulls.” He hoped that that fact, coupled with the presence of himself and Aurek, would answer why the attack had to be now. Knowing that Trolins would not view him or his opinions very highly he did not allow himself to continue his oration just yet.

Okay, so Westian is sitting in the background. Words will just be to back up Uumack, unless there is an outright refusal. No actions, unless a fight breaks out! I made a roll for whatever is needed (diplomacy? bluff? something else? depending on how the discussion goes). It was an 8.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The atmosphere is made more tense when the two other Trolins are pushed away from the door, and the door is closed so that Uumack, Westian and Aurek are trapped in the room. One of the guards is standing in the room, his back to the door. There is a long pause as everyone gives everuone else unfriendly looks.

Uumack seems unphased by the movements, and bold - his head is held high, and his shoudlers straight. It is a fact that surprises Tosca but is certainly is not met with welcoming. Uumack starts snarling words, and is very quickly interrupted by Tosca smashing a bowl of food from a table.

The bulky Trolin storms up to Uumack, thumping his check, but Uumack stands firm.

It is very tense, as Tosca snarls harsh sounding words - and gives unfriendly looks to Westian - before snarling with laughter.

Uumack gestures and looks around to Westian, making a strong gesture of warding - just as Westian had made against the grak-graks. A moment later, as if to confirm, Aurek mumbles 'I think he just said the word for grak-grak in Trolin'

The word from Aurekl seems to draw Tosca's gaze and ire, and he stumbles over common words, speakign over Uumack. "Not care...elf...scares...pathetic...not-livers. Not...problem...of me."

Uumack smashes his club, obviously angry at the dismissal of either Westian, or possibly - just possibly - of the dismissal of the lethality of the grak-graks. Or the lack of care of Tosca in his safe little room.

Even as Uumack barks his own counter-annoyance, the guard is already moving forward. That makes Aurek turn and reach for his club at his side. Of course, that draws the guard's attention to the fact that Aurek is still armed, which in turns draws Tosca's attention to it.

He points at the fact Aurek is armed, and screams at Uumack, gesturing at Westian and Aurek. Uumack gestures to Westian and Aurek too, saying somethign emphatically.

Assuming Westian wouldn't say somethign else, let's assume he tries to speak the above line here :) Bet you wish Falkor or Haynuus with their orcish language knowledge were here right now!

Tosca looks confused at the words, looking between Westian and Uumack.

"Why ...me...care...for...pink-skin black shells?" asks Tosca, burping again unconsciously.

"I not mention blackskulls yet," hissed Uumack to Westian.

Tosca shakes his head angrily, and says something obviously dismissive to Uumack, waving his hand and then gesturing out. Only as the guard behind starts to move is it obvious the gesture and words were not just directed to Uumack, but the guard. And only as Aurek reached for his club again, and Uumack took a step towwards Tosca with his club held firmly, was it clear this could disintergrate to violence all too soon.

There we go. Picnic time. No, wait, it's that other thing. Starts with c, ends with you getting banned for calling me a rude word. Not asking for an initiative roll just yet - though if Westian is resigned to conflict, then roll and state actions.

The 8 was for the general charisma check of how Tosca regards you. I reckon you won't need to roll for Westian's next words. They will either be spectacular enough in RP terms to call a halt to the conflict, or you'll be in conflict. That's tense enough without rollign dice. Unless you want to gamble on rolling for diplomacy, etc for some mechanical back-up. Your choice!

No pressure...good luck...
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

How to reason with brutes? Not an easy job, but a necessary one if the plan was to come to fruition.

Westian suddenly changed from his passive demeanour as he barked out at in simple common. “Why fight with each other? The blackskulls hold more land than they deserve. They hold lands that Trolins should. Why? The not-livers move freely through your lands – I saw them. I killed some, scared others. But you want to fight here? I am going to fight priest. Destroy undead. Teach blackskulls a lesson if they get in my way. If Trolins join it will be a great battle. Heroes will be made. Your enemies will fall. You will have new lands. But either way I go and fight not-livers.” His voice and posture were strong, but he avoided any threatening gestures. He held his staff tightly as he spoke, standing close to Aurek in case fighting proved inevitable.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

To be fair, all the parties are shocked when Westian, whose previous interjection was of a reasonable tone, boomed out his plans with certainty.

Aurek had shuffled closer to Westian, almost standing back to back with his charge, club fully withdrawn. The paladin seemed to be finding it hard to concentrate only on the guard, giving Westian looks as if not believe the impressive tone from the usually mild-manners cleric. Uumack was similarly lined up against Tosca, occasionally growling words and nodding during Westian's pauses.

The guard looked from Westian to Tosca. Tosca looked from Westian, briefly to Uumack, then back to Westian again. There was an unpleasant snarl on the fat Trolin's lips, but he looked as if he were smallowing rotten fruit, rather than looking as if angrily about to bellowmore commands.

"King make deal...I not king..." said Tosca uncertainly. However, his face turned to relief and unpleasant joy when the door opened. The face then fell back to his 'chewing on screamer pods' expression when the guard that came in had two crossbows poitned to the back of his head. The door closed swiftly, and Uumack's two fellows took a look aroudn the room.

Uumack growled to the two behind him, and then snarled something at Tosca. Tosca looked to Uumack and snarled. Tosca then looked to Westian. "I not king!" said the fat Trolin, a much less arrogant figure.

Well you've secured a temporary cease fire and been impressive. Still, it could all go to hell if the guards see a chance, a crossbow fires at the wrong time, or something hidden happens. Your move :D What do you want to do now?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

"We go to king. He will decide" Westian said emphatically."Either way I go to fight" he added, hoping that the Trolins would possibly feel some shame in not joining in. Even if that did not work it would at least convince Tosca that Westian was not staying in his territory, and possibly reduce his motivation to attack.

Westian's tirade seemed to have caught their attention at least. Though it gave the impression of anger and impatience, in truth the cleric was in control, with each word chosen carefully.

As they prepared to move Westian's eyes very deliberately focused on the guards, watching for any sudden movements and letting them know they were being watched at the same time.