WESTIAN'S, FALKOR'S AND AUREK'S EXCELLENT CRUSADE

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re: WESTIAN'S, FALKOR'S AND AUREK'S EXCELLENT CRUSADE

Post by oh_brother »

Westian found it difficult to look Farel in the eye, but made an effort. “I cannot be sure, but I strongly suspect the priest planted ideas in my mind” he answered truthfully, but also hoping to deflect the direct nature of the question with a more general answer. “But the words and idea of this plan were my own, not the priest’s”.

A look of deep sadness crossed his face as he looked at the knight once more. “Do you think I would ally with these creatures if there was another way?” he asked softly. “What I have to do, I do not relish. But I will not allow a cataclysm to sweep our lands just because I refuse to act. I would see the world safe, even if I was damned in the process.” His eyes glistened as he spoke. At times even Westian was not sure when he was speaking truthfully and when he was speaking to sway others, and this was one of those times.

“I am sorry that you and Ardur have been forced to come here. You are both good people, and I wish I could see you both safe. And Ardur should not have to see the grubby deals that must sometimes be struck to safeguard our civilisation. It would be better if he could maintain his idealism, and follow your path. We need people like that; otherwise our civilisation is not worth saving. If we all survive this ordeal then I think you should not be afraid to condemn any actions I have taken. And if you can find some chance to escape you should take it – Ardur is your prime responsibility.” He did not mention that if some terrible fate befell the world then Ardur was doomed regardless of how far they ran. Better to take the chance that the listener would make that leap himself; ideas that came from people’s own heads were better accepted than even the most eloquent of arguments.

The conversation was interrupted by the entrance of another leader. As he looked at the group Westian felt he should speak. With his arms folded across his chest he spoke clearly. “I fought side by side with your Trolins. They are strong and brave. They show how powerful the Trolin race is, and convince me that a Trolin army, made up of all the tribes, can easily crush the blackskulls.” He hoped he had balanced the need to placate the new arrival with the need to not play favourites.
money
On Master

Post by money »

"Your time to step up and be counted is coming. Gholst and his followers are closing in fast. We must take this fight to them and finaly put an end to the evil. I want you all to have your chance to make amends for your untimely demise. I don't expect to come out of here any more alive than you - but if I do, or indeed if my comrades do I vow to share your names - all of those who are willing to sacrifice their souls one last time - with each of your kin. Here lies a promise from me - I will travel to each of your Kin, All of them and pass on both your wishes, blessings and stories so you can rest in the knowledge that their pain and sorrow will be relieved."

"For those of you who are unsure of your standings, not sure where or why you are here - concentrate. Think long and hard about your last memory - the challenges you were facing. Your gods have not abandoned you even though you have passed to the next world. In fact, they are more important to you now and are all too willing to help you make your final ascent. Concentrate hard - at least for a few moments while you collect your thoughts."

Falkor knew this was a challange, he was trying to offer a way for the angry, more powerful forces to join and yet appease them to allow the weaker, more frightened souls the time they needed. He was hoping that his offer to visit each of their kin would be a "bargaining" chip that was too lucrative to turn down.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

As Pullack entered the room, and apparently spoke down to Guree and Uumack, Aurek felt compelled to speak "Guree and Uumack are noble fighters. They fought beside myself and Westian here." pointing to the priest, "Others would have run in fear, or perished. I know that they will be of great assistance in any future battles. The blackskulls are a powerful foe, we will need everyone. But, if we all fight together, we will crush them easily." said the paladin, before returning to his previous stance.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Falkor's speech stirred up the angry ghosts, though they were not apparently ready to be civil. Instead they roared in anger, screaming names. One or two recongised Gholst, others just sceamed, howling and throwing themsevles around the room and Falkor's words landed. Falkor felt as if his head would burst (take 4 hit points non-lethal psychic damage, sorry, I rolled high!) and then suddenly there was silence. His head spubn, his ears rang, and it took him a moment for him to realise that there were voices in his head.

"Tell them that I-"
"My name is Maldo-"
"She mustn't worry-"

There seemed to be eight spirits focused on him. The room was clear of the angry spirits, although where they had gone - in their fury - was for the moment unclear. Hopefully they could do some damage, though where that damage was about to be inflicted, and if it would aid the cause, Falkor could only send a silent wish to any High Lord's that were blessing the endeavour.

The eight spirits were in various forms of clarity, but all seemed to jostle and bustle, eager that Falkor know the message he was to take to their loved ones. For the moment, none seemed to be offering service, nor acknowledging his comments on their duties they had left unfinished. However, he had their attention, free from other distractions. That was more than adequete for what he needed.

Don't worry, no more heavy lifting to do, I liked what you tried to do. So the angry spirits might...who knows...do something to help you later. Or maybe they will come back to haunt you, as it were. Anyway, they aren't a danger right now, which was a definite possibility. You have eight spirits who are focused on Falkor. These are the manageable ones, and even though they aren't offering service right now, basically Falkor is in the position to be heard, so can either ask them to do something specific, and hope they do it, or can bargain his good will in telling their stories for their service. Either way, they should keep with him even if he retreats to the material plane (hopefully), and so he can come back to the ethereal plane if he wants to leave the thing they should do as being vague.

After all, the guard and UUmack might be gettign a little nervous by now :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"I may have to take you up on that," said Farel to Westian, in regards to Westian's comment on getting Ardur and himself free if there was the chance. However, once more he was chastened and saddened in equal measure. Farel however seemed confused by something. "What cataclysm do you think will occur? Is this not some idea planted by the priest - if I understand correctly his mechanisms?

Pullack pretended not to acknowledge what the human and half-elf had said, although there was the involuntary muscle spasm that denoted he had taken some pride in it. Still, he turned his shoulder a little to Guree and pointed to the King. "Then why you try to imprison my men. Then act as if they so good and loyal! You take my name to the dwarves, then wash your own hands in mud afterwards." For some reason Pullack looked at Kurcha when the word 'mid' was uttered, and there was a hiss of breath. There was perhaps something lost in translation in the Trolin saying. Or maybe the human word sounded like something unpleasant in Trolin language.

"Bah," said the Trolin King, "perhaps that cause problem not with those you lead, but those that lead." The KIng stood up tall, again with his sweeping affectation as if pushing a robe away. It would be risable, if his muscles were clearly not developed enough that he could crush a head easily. "Men prove loyalty, but I hear your man Goga was weak, a coward!" Pullack drew himself up, hissing too. "This man," and the King pointed to Westian, "has half-orc that crushed your Goga! Crushed him with honour, when Goga fought with none! Half-orc already in secret places, fighting dark priest who tried to turn all our brains to him!" The King wiggled his finger. "You lucky I not fooled, pushed his mind away with mine!" The King then pointed to Westian and Aurek again. "These men lead your men better. Uumack prove loyalty by bringing these men here,. Challanging his King but not up...surping him. Taking punishment until truith revealed! Uumack should replace you!"

Pullack reacted with shock and anger at the mention of Goga - Uumack's old leader that apparently Haynuus had beaten in combat when the group were split up in the cavern in what seemed to long ago. Perhaps Goga was a favoured lieutenant, or perhaps Goga was a relative. Either way, the loss of that Trolin and the fact that Trolin's honour was being besmirched seemed to inflict a grivous wound. The King had not seemed that stupid. Why was he deliberately pushing Pullack now. Was he trying ot remove a troublesome rival thinking Westian and the rest of the gorup gave him some protection? Or was there something else happeningh, some strange Trolin bargaining that outsiders would not understand nor see coming?

Guree, perhaps not realising how trecherous her King was, and how fickle his support and points always were, was carried away. "Yes! Half-orc have honour! Uumack take your place!" she said.

So there we g, to reward Westian's brilliant RP speech to Farel, and you guys handing Pullack nicely, I'll give you the King sticking his oar in in a way that upsets the balance and looks like it could even lead to violence.

Wait...that doens't seem liek a reward. Sorry, one last bit of gymnastics needed, then I promise it will settle down :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

“There is more going on here than people realise. The path that lies ahead of us has a dark end, unless we act. That is why I do what I do, why we must stop the evil creatures; the priest, the gnome” - his eyes slyly flicked to Farel as he mentioned the name, looking for a reaction - “Gholst....even Chaos himself is a part of it. Believe me this is not an idea of the dark priest. For the sake of the world, I ask you to put your trust in me. Ameena can confirm when we meet again, she knows what may transpire unless we change course. She has seen the madness of Lord Chaos, even if she did not understand what she saw.”

The fight between the king and Pullack grabbed Westian’s attention. Here was a chance to put an ally in a position of power, and show support for the king at the same time.

“Uumack is strong and brave. Like my half-orc follower. He would do Trolin’s proud.” He resisted adding as leader at the end of the sentence. Better to make sure the king was going ahead with the plan, rather than simply thinking out loud, before he launched a direct challenge to Pullack.
money
On Master

Post by money »

"All of you who are willing will get your chance to send messages and details home - you have my word. I have to go back to the material plane now.. but I will be back. Please follow me and if you need any help before i next communicate try and communicate with me."

Falkor pondered for a moment - these were creatures who most likely had only a limited knowledge of their powers. He needed them to learn, and learn fast if they were to help and stand any chance of communicating with him.

"Concentrate on your skills of old. If it was magic - use your mana, if you were a mighty warrier - prepare for battle once more. If you need to reach me try and move an object in the other plane."

He briefly described the power of the rune - Zo - this might be the only way they could communicate at this stage. And he ws more than aware that he would need to be watching for any sign of that communication. The last thing he wanted to do was miss it and push the spirits away.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Falkor sudden;y realised there was a strange light behind him as he addressed the others. There was a light touch on his shoulder, reassuring so he automatically felt at ease. "I will make sure they understand and follow," she said, and then gave a reassuring and childish smile. It was the young woman that had been following the the group all this time.

"I will finish what you started. It is good to remember who you once were."

The woman seems more focused and present than in previous times. Also, Falkor knew that she seemed to be able to indicate her presence and even manifest in the real world as needed. She would be the link he needed, although the power of ZO and a ghost's natural abiltiy to focus and move objects would also be critical for goodcommunications if anything unexpected happened.

There we go, the return of an old 'friend' should hopefully let you have a bit more piece of mind to communicate with the spirits. Though the ZO movement idea seems inspired. Will Falkor retrun to the room now?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Sir Farel had been lost in deep thoughts, occasionally forgetting about Ardur and having to keep corralling the younger squire as tentsons mounted. Clearly, Westian's comments - especially regarding Gholst. The group's speech regarding the man over their association, and what the Farel had volunteered before, clearly weighed on his mind. Westian had clearly managedto impress Farel over their association, so when he name dropped Chaos it was taken with a worried look, instead of with disbelief. "So Ameena is a seerer?" is all he would say regarding name droppign the murafu. But once more, Westian had managed to remind Farel of the gentle natured and very trustworthy Ameena. Certainly, she did not seem to take violence lightly.

"See, even your puppet moves my replacement in to position!" Pullack counters, gesturing. The Trolin even places a hand on a complex club he keeps by his side. Allthe guards tense in the room.

The King simply hisses amused. "Hah. We point out a skilled second you should consider. You are one looking as if being replaced. You know you not good enough?" The King once more wrggles and shifts the argument as quickly as he blinks. "Trolins have spoken. Leader should be rising up, defending right to lead such good Trolins!" The King nodded to Kurcha, although clearly Kurcha realised he was lower in the pecking order than Pullack. If Pullack was beign oddly threatened, then was Kurcha safe?

"You just said Uumack replace me!"

"Uumack should replace you!" said Guree, looking confused.

"You hear what want to hear," said King, assuming whenhe ignored an underling others did too. "I make comment self respecting Trolin leader should laugh at. Why you think I serious? Are you not up to task? Should I repalce you, because you weak and have doubts doing what Trolin people - your people too - say we must do?"

Kurcha was finding it hard to keep up with the gymnastics, while Pullack seemed to feel simply insulted by the tactics of the King. Guree was simply confused, obviously not knowing if the King was supporting Uumack or about to betray him.

I'll leave it there because I want to let Falkor and Uumack come back in. But as you can see, there is an in for some replies again. Apologies for the delay.

Once this little bit with the two leaders resolve, that will give me enough of the tone to know how the rest will come in. Then we can skip to the planning, and then onwards to the plan!
money
On Master

Post by money »

Falkor felt a sense of accomplisment - things were looking up for this group. With this he aid his goodbyes and de-activated the cloaks power.

Zo was the only thing i could think of.. I recalled that I could activate the teleport whilst in the material plane - so figured they too would be able to "move" things if they focused hard enough.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Falkor was back in the room. There was a margin more chaos, but otherwise it seemed amazingly dull and lifeless considering the amazing sight in the other plane. Once more, Falkor needed to take a moment

"You did not run," said a voice behind. It was Uumack, speaking in Trolin without thinking, with relief. He had an unconscious guard lying up against the wall. "I distract him as long as I could. He not wait when you not answer calls. When he open door, I hit him on head. Can make him believe you used your power for him interrupting you." Uumack shrgged. The relief of Falkor being back seemed to mean Uumack wasn't as concerned with the guard's unconsciousness. Uumack gestured for the two of them to go back.

I'll let you retcon anything you want to say to Uumack, but I'll push you back to the room so everyone can react to that and I can move you lot on :D OBviously we can scrub this if Falkor doens't go back to the room at all.

The two walked back in to the room, already hearing voices raised before they entered. Falkor saw that two new people were in the room. One was a tall Trolin, standing at the edges and looking concerned. The second was a more powerful Trolin, gesturing and looking angry.

"Pullack, you arrive already," said Uumack,giving an odd gesture of respect in greeting.

"You should lead! King agree! Not respect him, take place!" said Guree, falling back and gesturing. Uumack looked shocked.

"You killed Goga, traitor! Not kill me!"

Uumack realised he had missed a discussion. "I kill Goga when he not show respect and honour. He was beaten, and let cowardly Trolin make attack for him. Half-orc of priest fight with honour, despite odds. I not stand back and let Goga dishonour your family! Him only cousin, have no right to bring down honour of our tribe!" Uumack looked confused. "Do we have no honour now? Does tribe only respect win, not care how? I thought our tribe better!"

Of course, it was an implicit slight against Kurcha's runners, which Kurcha noted. Pullack was not chastised, for of course his honour was now in question. "Yes, you all set to replace me!"

"Not unless you dishonour tribe! You not dishonour tribe?" asked Uumack, still confused and looking to Guree and everyone else.

Of course, the King had taken a step back with a smile on his face.

Right leave it there, evenyone can weigh in. The King is perhaps angling to have Pullack replaced as a show of strength, or on a whim, with Uumack. Will you allow this, will you intervene, will you also try to reassure Kurcha who might be losing faith?

Like I said, this is probably the last leader thing, and we'll kinda move on with the atmosphere of the result to final planning and plan.

Unless you really do something off the wall, the situation is probably still controlled so that it's more the type of help the Trolin leaders will be to you, not that they won't help. Also, Falkor has snagged you some extra help useable at the right time too. Not too shabby.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Aurek could see that Uumack looked like he needed a little assistance, "Pullack... you can see from Uumack's response, that he is not wanting to overthrow you. He saw that dishonour was going to be brought down upon you, and he acted to stop that from happening. Why should he be punished for defending his tribe's leader? I'd imagine that almost ANY trolin would defend the honour of thier tribe... wouldn't you?" he said, standing beside his new found friend of a trolin, Uumack.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian was not sure where the king was going with this, and so he was equally unsure of how far he should push it. He certainly would prefer Uumack as leader, but he knew that he may have to end up dealing with Pullack if this heave against his leadership did not reach fruition.

At that point Falkor re-entered. In the fuss he had almost forgotten about him…what had that halfling been up to? He had been gone a long time, either he had been plotting something obscure, or the rat drum-sticks had not gone down well. Thinking of those grisly things made Westian grimace. Did his stomach feel a bit off too, or was that just his imagination? Now was not the time, so he desperately tried to forget about it.

Shaking him back into reality he listened to Aurek’s soothing words. “Yes, Uumack was defending your honour. And the honour of all Trolins. Why does that upset you? Do you think he should have left a shameful, dishonourable coward to live?”

“It would be a terrible thing for you to lose the honour for one such as him. Now your tribe has their honour intact, like those others tribes here.” He glanced at Kurcha as he finished.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Since I want the outcome of this part to move us along passed the rest of the leader entrances, and also shape the way the leaders will aid you guys and interract, I wanted to let money have the chance to weigh in. So will probably leave an update until tomorrow, hope that's ok!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Hey money, sneak in any questions or comments you want, but I'll have to move ahead so you guys can plan the fight!

The King could see Westian shift uncomfortably as Aurek gave the earnest speech in defense of Uumack. Aurek and Uumack had not directly spoke that much, Aurel had always been Westian's mostly silent bodyguard, consulting with Farel and WEstian above the Trolins. Almost like he was played by someone else! :)

Uumack gave a respectful and grateful nod, and stood beside the paladin to show support for the words. Guree seemed put out, and had to stand at the other side of Uumack, though clearly she realised she had made what might eventually be a fatal error. "Forgive Guree," said Uumack, trying to emulate perhaps Westian. "She only see dishonour in leaders, losing faith. You see why we need strong leaders to lead us against Blackskulls! Blackskulls elf already try to alter our minds against each other."

Westian's interjection brought the focus on to him,and Kurcha was surprised to have it bounced back to him. He shifted uncomfortably, torn between being happy his tribe's honour was being talked up, and wondering when it was ever in question.

"Well, if our <i>great</i> King Grrl can cast aside his second, Tosca, and not lose honour, then who am I not to toss aside coward of cousin." There was an uncomfortable moment, as perhaps most of the Trolins realised this was an attempt at a sideways dig at the King.

The King laughed, thanking Westian and Aurek for their assistance. "Indeed, Tosca proved false. His tower of mud collapses." The King paused expectantly. "I need new advisor. More honourable, without question. One who knows they have a capable second to take on their tribes leadership while they distracted."

King grrl had tossed in a bomb. Sudden;y, the two leaders in the room turned to stone. The King may as well have been back in the hall, taken out a sword, said for someone to take it, and then turned his back. The chance at being the King's second was the short cut to being the King. Though all Trolins would see the King had offered the chance for that second to advise, and help, and put aside their own ambitions to help the Trolins.

Kurcha and Pullack looked at each other antagonistically, suspiciously, and yet realised they could not been seen to be weak, nor devisive. The one who proved himself without reproach was the one who would be given the chance for greatness, without question. It was an atmosphere that would carry on.

Time shifts. You guys have yourself a Trolin army! Boost yourselves up to level 7 and let's meet them, shall we :D

The next leader in was Goltrr, a Trolin built like a reverse mountain. He spotted something was wrong when Pullack was being quet and even respectful to both Kurcha and his King. His beligerance was stopped, and he instead nodded, shifting tactic to apparently being quiet and pretending that he was too important and informed to require answers. It was clear the room was beginning to get some critical mass of leaders now, where they were going to play the waiting game and allow others to act first.

Goltrr made some speculative mentions of his warrirors - whom he referencd to as 'crushers' - being ready, and then spotted the respectful yet equally emphatic comments regarding the readiness of the others' troops. The King smiled, made another comment, and even Goltrr spotted that there was some game of oneupsmanship while appearing supportive of evetything going on.

A large sack of doorknobs - at least that was his hape - came in next, a leader called Tolso. He too apparently lead pure bred warriors, and immediately began with dismissive and competitive comments on his own warriors. Spotting that even Goltrr whom he focused on and apparently had a rivalry with conceeded some of the point,s he went on the defensive.

A strangely addorned Trolin came in next. He was a little taller and thinner than the rest except Kurcha, and had srcaps of items on him. A cross between a hob, a tribal shaman and a mad inventor, he seemed to have a calm tone. All - even the king - offered respect to him, and for one it didn't seem false. It became clear that somehow he was a little more learned than the rest, and had something that the others valued. Certainly, somethign they could not steal. His name - finally - was revealed to be Morporr. He had not kept his eyes of the humans and demi-human all the time.

Finally, arriving apparently as late as he thought he could get away with, was an insignificant looking Trolin called Kardra. He was small and thin and apparently has a look on his twinkling eyes as if he were expecting and welcoming any comments the others would say. Even the king. However, although he apparently expected to get away with such an arrogant slight, even he spotted that the tone of greeting was wrong. And worse, that somehow a joke was on him. He immediately became watchingful, all business. He had a predatory look on his face regarding Westian, as if looking to antagnoise the King's latest toy. That faded fast, and he looked instead with neutral assessment.

"Now we are all together, as should be," said the King, gesturing to the maps, making sure they were placed to a series of dead leaders looked down upon the maps too, "I will tell you the reason, the thinking, and the plan!"

The King filled the leaders in on what had been discussed already. The audacity of the dark elf's attack, and the general threat and weakness of the blackskulls. The powers of Westian and his group (the King made it sound as if they could all stop grak-graks dead in their tracks) and the opportunity of the waterfall behidn the caverns. There was some general snorting at this, for the waterfall cavern was apparently a known area that only Pullack and Kardra's men would be foolish enough to explore. The deadliness of the creatures there, and the elements tending them, was apparently well known. It was Morporr who pointed, with eagle eyes, to Westian's ring, pointing out the symbol of the Low King on it. The old ruler of Mount Anaias before the Grey Lord had come here. As invaders themselves, the Trolins seemed to have an instinctive respect of those who might have a link to the true owners.

The others could, of course, see the opportunity though some still distrusted it. However, slowly it became clear to each one what was at stake for them personally - able to take the unofficial position Tosca had squeezed himself in to as an offical position the King had never offered before. Advisor and second to ruler of all the small groups and tribes.

Goltrr and Tolso seemed ready to outdo each other, committing all their men and comparing able Trolins and capabilities. It was Morprr who set the bar low, making it clear he would only take his best, for the mission required subtlety, and also if it were a trap then who wished to lead their whole forces to slaughter. Thus became an odd horse trading with the king, where each leader pledged as many of their best men as they thought soudned good, while also trying to keep the numbers small. Still, it sounded as if about sixty trolins all told were being committed between the six leaders - inlcuding the leaders themselves, all taking personal positions.

"Will that be enough?" asked Farel with concern, causing everyone to look around.

"Bah!" said the sparkling eyed Karda, "blackskull not as many as they pretend to be. We could be half them - and quarter them if just my Trolins in the dark - and defeat them. We equal them, and we beat them easy!" Morprr was the one to point out the grak-grak threat and the undead of the dark elf that were not being counted, as well as the natural creatures of the dungeosn that could take advantage of any fight. Uumack actually spot up by his own leader, pointing out once again the personal powers of Aurek and Westian he had seen in action.

So there it was. It sounded as if the blackskulls invading the mountaing had a number. Sixty trained and well armoured soldiers, give or take. With unknown undead forces behind that. And the power of Theron an uncertainty. Still, it also sounded as if the group were assembling an army of equal measure. The distraction had become the plan. The blackskulls would be ejected from Mount Anaias.

Whew, that's a lot of typing. Let's post it, then start a new OOC section to describe the trops in depth for the planning!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ok, so the army you have inheritted is made up of six parts (seven if you include the King, but he will be an immoveable block to you guys without the RP work to suggest where he would be safest/best placed. The other leader's groups it will be assumed you get to advise or even order the position of through the king at least in this plannign stages.

The ay the army will act, as shaped by your guys, will be six distinct blocks. They will all be loyal (well done) and act in accordance to the mission (woohoo) but they will be separate blocks (awww :( ) that usualyl won't split away from their leaders (awww) and the real kicker is you will find that if one block gets in to trouble, the others won't move to help unless some RP nudging is used. IT's we all stand together, but if you guys start failing then you were weak and dishonourable and hey, one less spot for the leader roll. But like I said, it's also clear that they can't just saboutage each other. At least, for the moment. So that's cool.

Right:
- Kurcha
- will field 10 Trolins (plus him is 11)
- fast movers (runners), good for flanking and distance attacks
- could be used as scouts

Pullack
- will feild 8 Trolins (plus himself, Uumack and Guree are 11)
-point men, mix of combat skills
- also could be used as scouts or covert ops

Goltrr
- Will field 8 Trolins (plus himself is 9)
- solid fighters
- also used as 'crushers' - can smash through groups or men or defenses with strength

Tolso
- will field 9 trolins (plus himself is 10)
- skilled fighters
- also athletic, so can be used for flanking/distance

Morpoor
- will field 5 trolins, and 1 'shaman' magic user/priest (plus himself is 7)
- he is a jack of all trades (including small magic) who has taught a core small group of Trolins
- trained as medicine, rogue skills, demolition, etc
- all seen can aid in various tasks, but usually two or three actually compitent in an area
- WILDCARDS!

Karda
- will field 8 trolins (plus himself for 9 total)
- sharp eyed scouts
- also very good archers (feared as assassins) to act as ranged support/sharp shooters

King grrl
- will field four personal guards

Total Trolins (including leaders) = 62

How you use them: They'll basically be 'blocks' to you, like a very, very large creature. You can assign them a task, and they will do it. However, if they are attacked, then they could lose men and hence effectiveness. Note with certain groups that have very strong multi-functions (like Morprr's specialists or Karda's archer/scouts) they might loose their abilities in one area over another, based on how the attack comes. For example, the specialists are tricked in to giving medical aid to undead Trolins. The sepcialists become barely able to medically treat anyone after the attack. However, perhaps the specialists are trying to open a set of doors, and are then attacked from behind. They only remain able to do rogue like things, because it was the others that were attacked and wounded.

Understandable?

Anyway, so the first part of the plan is to work out how tyou distribute your forces. Do you launch any diversion against the Blackskull main way in, or do you take the whole army the secret way? How do you assign your groups, do you send runners or scouts ahead, do you leave your strong fighters behidn to watch out for attacks and to not antagonise the cavern elementals? How will you have the specialists act (again, the way thigns have worked out Morporr will not split his group up unless you really RP well, but realise that so diluted it will probably not make much or a difference. Etc. How do you distribute yourselfs? Do you remain a separate group? Do you each attach yourselves to a Trolin group to steer and support them? Do you place someone like Falkor in the centre so he can use his message ability? Westian in the centre as the spokesman to keep morale and tensions as they should be?

Obviously, as your operations continue, you can shift things around, or find out what happens to groups sent elsewhere :) I'll probably summarise the status of the groups with the seven leader names and the number of Trolins left in their group. Like hit points :D

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanyway, sound exciting and good? Ask questions, plan tactics, let's use the rest of the week if you like to firm up plans (and launch little RP questions or sections if you like) to figure out how this will go down.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Woo-hoo! I like it! I like ie a lot!

Not sure if I will be free at any point tomorrow, but I will be thinking about strategy! LB and money, if anyone has any plans we can discuss OOC and then decide.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well we're moving towards the end of the game. Stuff just got real :D You guys need some fun, shiny toys to be playing with now!

Also, I forgot to remind you guys that Falkor has an invisible ghost group apparently ready to act too!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yeah, I loved money's bargain with the spirits! And the Zo idea was great! :D

@ everyone: Just thinking out loud here really, so slap me if you think it is nonsense. But the cavern elementals were not the friendliest, and they certainly did not like metal armour (btw: do any Trolins have metal armour/weapons?).

Coupled with that is the fact that only Pullack and Kardra's men have experience in the cavern area, as do we.

So I think we should send the heavy hitters, archers, magic users and king on a frontal assault. The three of us, plus Pullack and Kardra's groups go via the waterfall and attack from the rear. That way the blackskulls are pinned in, and we will get to the priest first (beo - I think we know the priest is close to the waterfall...from the map?).

@beo: do the caverns look wide enough that a force that large could attack the front without getting in each others way? i.e. they spread out into adjacent corridors, it is not just a long, one-man-wide stretch? Otherwise we will have to re-think a bit.

I don't know where the invisible ghost would be best used, partly because I don't know what they can do, other than making creepy noises. Will money told us about them?

Lastly, @LB: if you go by the cavern route you might have to give up your armour, so maybe grab some leather armour and a club from the Trolins. Unless you want to give beo even more work and split up so he has another update to do? Maybe if all three of us split up then beo will actually collapse from the strain of it all! :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Remember that the water elementas were mocking your war-like garb, especially as it related to blackskulls. Leather is still an earth element, and you won't persuade Farel to remove his armour unless you are deciding he will not go.

@LB: I gave Aurek the following items:
Chainmail shirt +1, damage reduction 5/- against fire, so +5AC total, ACP -3 only (Flamebain!)
Neta shield (no power) +2AC -2AP as normal
Trolin sword (Actually bastard sword if able to use two handed)

Any trolin armour could be requested and adapted for use, though it is cumbersome so adds an extra ACP opoint
- Leather armour +2AC (-1ACP)

The club would be a normal club, though +1 damage for extra spikes.

As an initial idea it sounds fine, remember the King will go where the King wants to go, so might decide that attackign the priest directly is more his thing. Though he will also not want to lose face to the rest of the Trolins. Though he will also perhaps still ahve lingering doubts abotu Westian.

And yeah, splitting up for the finale is possible, but I'll be trying to let you guys all at least meet up and interact one last time. So yeah, except a brown furry creature to appear out of nowhere and throw you back in to the mix :D Just kidding, you guys will still have autonomy.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

The elementals might give us a bit of stick, but if we go in non-metallic armour, and with non-metallic weapons I am willing to give it a go. They hate the demoness, and the priest, so if we say that we are going to end that presence in the mountain they might be amenable to letting us pass. I wonder is there anything we could use as tribute to sweeten them up a bit? Possibly not, but if anyone has ideas shout.

My main reason for suggesting splitting the forces was because I don't think the elementals will allow all the army through, and the heavy hitters would be an especially hard sell. And as it stands I think it is better than sending a diversory force to the front - that would be suicide and everyone would know that. As it stands the main group is strong enough to stand on its own, and the rear group has two good groups and three level 7 characters!

Also Westian and Aurek did agree with Ameena and Haynuus that we would go back to the waterfall. If they were not there we would go on into the priest's lair.

Farel will be warned about the problem with the armour. I know it is important to him, but Westian is not going to put the attack on a weaker footing just for that! He can try to blag his way through, or he can go with the other group, or... I am not sure. I would not feel comfortable sending him and Ardur out on their own. Again, anyone have any ideas?

If the king came with our group it would not necessarily be the end of the world, but maybe if we point that metal will not be allowed past he will change his mind! (I am sure he is fond of his crown! :) ).
money
On Master

Post by money »

Hi all, been a bit manic past week or so with Rileys 1st birthday and going away tomorrow for a week of sun it's a been a bit tricky. my idea for the ghosts is that later on - we may well be up against Gholst and his army - I would love to have some support against that battle! They can also move things and are not alway harmless. As for the plan, I'm happy with the approach also and keen to progress. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I know LB's been lurking. No comments? :(

@OB: Sorry, I meant to answer you comments about the frontal assault: The caverns are basically normal DM corridors. Though despite DM and D&D making ten feet seem ridiculously small, it's actually a decent size. Though yeah, we are talking squeezing in people. Probably what the Trolins would do is simply use a swarming tactics- have the smashers blasts through, and then if there is any need to chase the runners break free through the soldiers, or if there are any splits in the corridors then the Trolins have enough man-power to split apart, using the runners as comminication/scouts and the specialists as a base camp. Not your concern, of course, if no one goes with them :D

Leaving the ghots for Gholst and co might be a brilliant idea. And as mentioned, they can do subtle things being ghosts. Though there are not as powerful nor aggressive as the ones that have, even now, stormed off somewhere in the mountain :) So we'll see what happens with that!

And aww, of course it's been a year. I think you mentioned it was getting close a little bit ago! And ok, I'll try not to do anything exciting and game changing this week. I really do want to move us on to the end, but part of that will be the calm before the storm where you guys - ALL of you guys - actually get a chance to speak and catch up! :) So that migth slow the game down to absorb that holiday.

Anyway, let's start summing up IC, shall we...? Hope you don't mind OB< might kinda speak for Westian a little to sum stuff up. Let me know if I put any feet wrong, and of course all of you feel free to ask questions and add comments IC. Hopefully, next update sees you guys on your way!

The leaders all started suggesting plans and solutions, obviously each trying ot outdo the other while not appearing to be going against the grain, nor seeming to stick their heads to high above each other. Westian had started to detail ideas. The King listened as Westian pointed out that the Trolins leaders - and he was sure to paint them as generous and loyal - had promised enough powerful fighters that perhaps an attack could be launched on the front as well. Westian was careful not to paint it as a diversion, but was equally as careful to paint the danger of going up against the priest. The cavern short-cut alone was unknown because of the powerful elementals that protected there, and they made this route dangerous. Though not too dangerous to be suicide. And the priest could be caught unawares, though this was by far no easy feat.

Westian, perhaps, could easily became exhausted trying ot conduct this verbal balancing act.

Luckily, both Karda and Pullack managed to sell the dangers of the place, speaking in no uncertain terms of how dangerous the place was, while aslo speaking of how they could handle the dangers. Pullack and Karda were clearly at odds, even Uumack seemed to wish to rip Karda's head off. That meant the speech on the cavern's danger did not seem duplicitous. And of course the King's own eagerness to go that way, and arrogant Trolin bravado, ensured that it did not seem like a suicidal path.

The other leaders - or at least all but Morporr - lstarted swaying to resent the cavern goers, seeing that as the path to glory.

Tha twas when King Grrl then played his master card. "Of course, I see you loyal Trolins all. Want to protect you King. Worry that taking the other route, attacking Blackskulls head on, looks like you hogging all the glory and trying for my place. No, I not see that at all. See it as reasonable actions. Like actions of loyal second, second that Tosca never was."

And there is was. Leading a successful frontal assault would be seen as brave. And of course, all wondered if King grrl might not fail going against the priest. Or at leats look weak...

In fact, that comment shifted the tables so much that Pullack and Karda seemed to resent placing themselves in the King's shadow in the caverns. Of course, they had sold the danger well enough that it would look like cowardice to change their minds. And, of course, being with the King made it look as if they supported their King. Should one of the other leaders look to be too mcuh fo a threat...

And so that was that. Four leaders would take their troops to make a surprise assualt on the blackskull region. While King Grrl - though the party really - would lead the best suited Trolins in to a side assault on Dolo. And perhaps along the way meet Haynuus and Ameena, who may have already explored part of that region seeking Deephold. If the poor dwarf was even still alive.

During a quiet moment of Trolin arguing, Falkor was able to speak to Westian, detailing his encounters while he was outside. And also, Westian attempted to speak to Aurek and Westian regarding their armour. Farel was characteristically against giving up on his armour. After all, he had done nothing but defend, and never took a life if he could help it. He wouldnot be judged by capricious spirits. If needs be, he would stay away from the cavern if that would jeapordize the mission. It appeared that, in leading Trolins to murder their way to a powerful mind manipulator, Farel had no idea what he could do anyway. Westian's comments regarding keeping Ardur safe seemed formost in his mind, and it was almost as if these external elementals would be a judge as to where his duty really lay.

Suddenly, just as themeeting seemed to be reachign a conclusion, with the four frontal assult leaders deciding how best to attack, and how to deal with the narrower corridors, the door Falkor had come through burst open.

"The mage!" came the cry of the guard Falkor and Uumack had left witih. "The mage has es- wait." Of course, Falkor was standing right there, and all gave the guard a look.

"You tried to interrupt mage when he was reliving himself," said Uumack, quickly. "You lucky to be alive. He spared you life and only struck you unconscious. I left you sleeping and took him back myself."

The guard looked embarrassed and mortified as all the Trolin high command laughed with varying degrees of sincerity, and the king himself laughed them scowled. Of course, the guard looked to Falkor with respect and fear. Uumack's nervous look to Falkor was completely missed.

"You better do more to guard me in cavern, or I feed you to the place!" said the King. The matter was settled. As was the matter of where the King would go in the assault.

I JUST WANT TO SAY THIS AGAIN - YOU GUYS SHOULD BE LEVEL IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY LEVELLED! MONEY, I THINK I INCLUDED PROVISIONAL GREEN COMMENTS FOR YOU TO ANSWER IN YOUR CHARACTER SHEET SO YOU COULD LEVEL UP QUICKLY. LB, OBVIOUSLY YOU'VE GOT FURTHER TO JUMP, YELL IF YOU NEED ME. AT THE VERY LEAST, YOU NEED TO ADD A NEW FEAT FOR SIXTH LEVEL (THAT ISN'T EXPLICITLY CLEAR IN THE D20.ORG ARCHIVE)

Otherwise, make comments and let's move onwards! :) Unless you suggest tactics to the main assault, they'll figure it out themselves. You might see them later, you might not. More liekly, you guys will splinter again and end up meeting with the frontal assault and direct what's left :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian discussed the tactics of the main group, without wanting to make it seem like he was giving ideas. Rather he simply asked leading questions, so the leaders could claim - and possibly believe - that the plans were their own. His overall goal was for Kurcha's group to act as scouts, with the main fighting carried out by Tolso and Goltrr. If the way split then they should divide up, to avoid being trapped in a pincer movement. The magic users and demolition experts would play a supporting role, healing and unlocking when needed.

As for the other group, Westian stressed to the king the disdain of the elementals for weapons, particularly anything made of metal. He hoped that clubs and leather armour would be the order of the day.

"How about you, Aurek?" he asked in a quiet moment. "Would you be willing to give up your metal armour? I don't know if they will let you through. Unless...the water elementals did not like fire, is there anyway we could use that to our advantage? The armour is called flamebane after all..."

As Farel spoke Westian nodded in agreement. "I understand, Sir Farel. You have a duty to attend to. I can risk my own life, and you can risk yours, but I cannot ask you to risk the life of someone else. I wish I could help guide Ardur to the surface with you, but I cannot abandon my mission. If there was somewhere safe to remain until this attack was over it might be a good idea. I think the surface is some distance from here, so travelling on your own would be a risky proposition."

As the conversation ebbed and flowed Falkor took the opportunity to fill him in on what had happened with the spirits. Westian gave him a stunned look - he had tapped what Westian would have regarded as an obstacle and turned it into an asset. Just when he thought he knew everything about this wizard he found some way to surprise him yet again. "That could be very...useful" was all he managed to get out.

Okay, Westian is ready to go whenever. I will be away visiting relatives for teh long weekend (Friday to Monday) so I can psot tomorrow but after that it will be Tuesday.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There was a tension in the air building, as the Trolins prepared for war. The King manipulated that tension skillfully, with Westian's nudging providing small twists and whirls in the gathering storm of it.

The the warrior leaders began speaking in grander and grander terms, and Morporr became quieter and quierter, a tightly focused point. They were no longer arguing between each other, each boast and aggressive comment was regardign the blackskulls, and the indignity of tolerating them. And by extention, the indignity of tolerating the Grey Lord's boundaries he had placed on the Trolins.

The swell of feeling reached a point, plans seemed firm and yet Westian had lost track of exactly what the main group planned to do around the claims and boasts and shouting. They did seem to have taken his words to heart regarding tactics. Hopefully it would be correct, and would be remembered.

And just when the swell might erupt in to actual violence somehow, the king directed it. "GO!" he said, again his imperious human-copied gerstures. In a room filled with only a tenth of the Trolins that would actually be marching to this miniature war, suddenly it did not seem so comical. The raw power he commanded was evident in just the leaders alone.

The four leaders departed almost at a run, their booming voices a chorus that slowly split off and created strange echoes as each obviously ran a different path. And then, afet ra delay, in the distance the sound of yells could be heard, and then drums. And then the rythmic thumping of weapons.

Back in the room, the party and the remaining Trolins were very quiet. However, all the remaining Trolins had a new intensity to them. There was a languidness to their movements, and sureness. Their looks to each other and the party were slow, predatory. The mammalian instincts in all the party screamed fight of flight when confronted with such suddeny alien body language.

"We must go. Now," said the King, thankfully breaking the quiet. The mtter of armour had not been resolved, none seemed to take it kindly on either side. And the approach seemed to have not been cleared up yet, as to how they would enter the cavern.

Still, in the current atmosphere, such questions and comments seeemd unwise. The King of the Trolins had spoken. The group would move.

And I'm going to lock the thread there. Obviously, OB and money need to catch up when they get back from their respective holidays. What's going to happen is that there will be a new Finale thread for everyone (since you guys are all about to meet up again! Woohoo!) You guys can post there when it is up to react to anything here in passing, and of course react to the developing story.

The finale! Afetr over a year and a half! It's so exciting :) Let's see what's going to happen, shall we? :D