TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - I think Haynuus wouldn't obtain an AoO as he had stepped 5' behind them all to quaff Westian's 3d6 healing potion.
(08:06:22) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 3d6 and gets 2,4,6.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oops, mis-read what you said. Yeah, if you five foot step to quaff the potion, no AoO. However, you act after Dargat, so you still take the whirlwind attack in the face before then. So it still matters if Westian involked the shield before coming to stand by you, and how the attack resolves. Aurek acts before Dargat, so his lay on hands heal will at the very least buffer against any damage there.

Right, just awaiting spell confirmation but I can update the map for Haynuus's position as nothing else should change tactically.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Seeing Haynuus was ready to re-enter the fray, Westian withdrew slowly, keeping his eye on Dargat. Out of the corner of his eye he saw Garax rising to his feet and move away, almost involuntarily he struck out with his staff, though he kept his eyes focused forward.

Once out of reach of the orc he pulled the last UM Vi potion from his pack. “Guree, this will help Uumack!” he shouted as he tossed the flask in a slow, low arc towards her.

AoO on Garax: attack was 19 + 7 = 26, damage was 2 + 2 = 4. Throwing towards Guree was 18 + 9 = 27. That was the last UM VI potion, the ON VI were given to Aurek and Haynuus, in case they had forgotten (I had until I rechecked!). I guess throwing the flask is a full action, so no more shields until next round.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Yep, Haynuus still has another flask, if anyone is hurt. - Do you want it for Petal?

Haynuus palmed the empty flask back to the half-elf cleric with a cacophony of eyebrow waving to indicate thanks to him.

His next action was a symbol of a lack of imagination in the half-orc's trade and in his upbringing. He stepped up and smacked Dargat from behind (dunno if there are any flanking or arse smacking bonus).

OOC - Yup, invisibleCastle.com is down.
(17:53:28) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 1d20 and gets 6. => +13 so it's 19
(17:53:36) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 2d6 and gets 5,3. => +4 so it's 12
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Remembering that he still had a strength potion in his possession, Aurek attempted to gulp it down as quickly as humanly possible. Now he felt a bit more ready for battle.

I can't remember if drinking a potion counts as a full action... if not, I'm gonna want to put the smack down on Dargat's head :P
Last edited by Lord_BoNes on Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - In 4th edition drinking a potion is only a Minor Action, but as I can't remember off the top of my head how actions work in 3.5 that's probably not a lot fo help ;).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - I wreckon Haynuus DOESN'T need the potion for now - he already has one thanks! Maybe next round he will :) Keep it.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Karnadee did not rely to Ameena's words, already moving towards Theron. Meanwhile, Ameena deacivated the cloak by pulling it off. Immediately the scents and weight of the world returned to disorient her, especailly as she had moved in the room from where she had once been. The fire did not follow, and although her body still felt the odd extreme hot and cold sensation of the fire, there was no pain.

Back in the real world, Ameena could see that Theron had a sword pointed at him by a blackskull soldier. The soldier seemed to be increasingly adgitated, demanding to know where Gholst was, and who was assaulting the group. Theron had mis hands raised defensively. Clearly, the mage could incapacitate or even kill the blackskull if he wanted to, but at such close range the blackskull would be able to run Theron through before the archmage uttered a single syllable.

Another stand off, though an easier one to manage. Or you can try and see what Helm/Falkor are doing, or yell at themm to sort it out while Ameena goes and does something at the altar to back up Petal and Passin.

@Westian: A normal throw would be a standard action, but throwing to an ally I'll count as a move equivalent action, with the roll just to get the 'accuracy'. Guree won't even have to try and intercept that secnd one :) Though I will make it provoke an AoO, sorry!

Similarly Aurek, the drinking of a potion is only a move equivalanet action that will provoke an AoO, but the good news is a) you now have 20 strength for a +5 bonus to attack and damage rolls, and b) a standard action free to make a single attack.

Technically, Dargat could also thump Guree or Uumack for their AoO provoking actions (that's right poeople, he gets three per round!), but as Westian's hit was so good yet his damage was so small, I'll let him draw agro too and leave the NPCs alone.

Westian struck out with his staff to assault the unarmoured head of Dargat, while trying to throw his remaining healing potion to Guree for the felled Uumack. The blow connected perfectly, but it appeared Dargat's orcish skull barely registered such a blow in the heat of battle. The orc, depsite his armoured form, seemed exceptionally fast. It was possibly that he had gained power in the blackskull ranks merely by beating all the other blackskull soldiers in combat - all at once.

Still, the blow had registered on Dargat's psyche, and the orc made a wide sweep intended for Westian as Westian attempted his throw. Ceircumstances were such that the blow carried through, smashing Westian in the face and carry through to Aurek - taking the distraction to swig the strength potion Haynuus had given him earlier - and striking him across his chest aswell. Dargat then returned the swing, catching Aurek on the side of the head but missed the chance to turn that assault in to a blow against Westian too.

Aurek managed to thrust his sword in to a chink in Dargat's armour by luck, only his now exceptional strength managing to take advantage of it to cause a wound that Dargat roared at.

Wow, that sucked for Aurek there and wasn't too nice for Westian. The AoO and then Dargat's proper attack both struck Aurek nasty blows - 12 and 14 hit point damages for 26 damage in total - while Westian was hit for 14 hit points by the AoO but luckily missed by the secondary proper attack! And sorry Aurek, while I rolled a hit, only rolled a 1 for damage, though still 6 when adjusted for the +5 strength bonus.

Uumack, fortunately, had only been dazed, and was revitalised by the poiton from Westian. He stood up swiftly, regaining his bearings and attempting a blow that bounced off Dargat's armour. Guree stood by Uumack's side, looking for a weak point for her own needle knife to strike at.

Haynuus, refreshed himself from Westian's aid, stepped back in to the welcome glow of Westian's full shielding and and struck out with his Oh blade. Dargat was indeed distracted by Westian's ability to avoid the orc's blows, and more importantly the Trolin standign atll once more/ Haynuus therefore just managed to slice the OH blade slowly through the glowing armour of the orc, drawing blood from beneath and a snarl from Dargat.

Ian, since all Haynuus is doing is a 5 foot step this round, feel free to launch your second attack this round too. Especially since he is doing no defensive manoeuvers right now and so you have a better chance of getting through his defenses.

Over by the altar, Garax was ignoring Petal, his full fury reserved for .Passin's action, allowing the pixie to lift herself off the altar and up in to the air. Drommal was screaming his displeasure too at the traitor, listing the pain Passin would feel. However, his nature was such that he still felt the urge to swipe at Petal as he passed, and it proved to be his undoing. Petal was already lifted higher in to the air that he could reach, but it turned the sorceresses attention to the man and the full strength of a fireball sailed down at him.

There was an explosion of fire he could not twist away from in time, and the smell of charred flesh in the air. Captain Drommal fell down to the ground, twitching, but not by any conscious means. Drommal appeared to be dead.

Bye bye Drommal!

Garax's fury was a stark contrast from the resigned man a moment ago. It was understandable thoguh - a man that would put his own ambitions and believes below the continuation fo the blackskulls when his way had been ruined was not a man who would see such trechery go unopposed. Garax was grabbing Passin's bloody sword even as the pendant chain of Passin snapped, dropping the blackskull soldier to the floor. Passin only had a moment to clucth his pendant to himself before his own blade ran him through his stomach. Garax let go of the blade and Passin toppled forwards on to the altar. As a last defiant gesture, he struck the armour of Thinpas off the altar, and then was still.

No! Have I - well, Garax, really - just killed off Passin? Maybe, maybe not. I'd worry about Garax's fury if I were you.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Though aware of all sorts of things going on somewhere off to her right, Ameena keeps the main focus of her attention on Theron and those around him, including those she can no longer see. She keeps hold of the cloak - she doesn't know if the fire will come back should she re-enter the spirit world, but at least she knows she can escape from it by returning to this one. She doesn't put the clock back on yet, however, but is ready to do so if her next words provoke a response in her direction.
"Gholst died!" she calls to the Blackskull threatening Theron. "Gholst is a spirit - he's right here, between us!"
Then she points with a forepaw in the direction of the melée sh eknows is ensuing across the room, though doesn't look round, partially because she doesn't want to take her eyes from those in front of her, and partially because she dreads what she might see if she should happen to look over there.
"That's Dargat!" she says. "The orc, there, wearing the blue armour. He pretended he was Gholst when Gholst died so that you'd still follow him. He said things that aren't true - he wanted to be in charge of everyone and Gholst couldn't stop him because then everyone would know. Theron didn't do anything wrong. It was Gholst. It was all Gholst!"
At least, as far as she can tell. Gholst seems to have been the main instigator of all the troubles here, and everyone else just followed him...or thought they were following him. Besides, phrasing it like that has meant that she could reinforce Karnadee's message about Theron's guilt, or lack thereof.
She is ready to mvoe back further if anyone tries to attack her, and even put the cloak back on again if necessary, though is a little unwilling to do so right now when Gholst might have thrown off those other spirits and be wanting to...have words with her. She keeps as alert as she can, watching for any sign that someone might come for her whilst at the same time watching for the reactions of Theron and the Blackskull.

OOC - If it's possible to do both right now, then here are a couple of rolls - Perception for general alertness of her immediate vicinity in case that other Blackskull tries to sneak up or whatever (since I think he was still in that back area of the room somewhere, wasn't he) = 12 (1+11), lol. And a Sense Motive on both Theron and the Blackskull guy (though if I can only try to "read" one person at a time then make it the Blackskull, to see his response to the whole "you were lied to, you gullible twit...well okay you're not a twit but you're surrounded by bastards anyway" thing) for their reactions to this stuff = 27 (16+11)...better :).

Edit - If I can only make one of those two rolls then I'll take the Sense Motive, and if it can only be aimed at one person then I'll use it on the Blackskull guy. Not sure what kind of action they count as in this system but as Ameena didn't do anything besides speak then I suppose she probably has the actions to spare for both rolls...?
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

"Damn you!" bellowed the defiant Aurek, as Dargat sliced into him.... twice. "You'll pay for that!" he yelled at the hideous orc standing before him, while attempting to remove his grotesque head.

(22:12:32) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 2d20 and gets 14,5.
(22:14:34) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 2d8 and gets 6,2.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC. Ah ha! A free swing courtesy of the DM. (1d20+8=20, 2d6+4=11)
Let me know if anyone needs Haynuus's 4d6 pot of joy, as maybe he could drop it out of his backpack on the floor right now as...

The half-orc was surprised at the swearing from normally silent and deadly paladin (remember the fight in Soorec's room? Aurek had a silent fight in the south end with a garak for ages :) ). "Aye!" he replied and added his own flavour to the combat...

He elected to try to push the orc over an innocent trolin thereby causing all five characters to beat the living shit out of him when he's collapsed on the floor. It was a great idea, he thought, as he may end up prone, unable to swing his sword around and already be on his knees to kiss the half-orc's ass goodbye.

OOC - Someone tell me this was a good idea.... Ping! (1d20+8=26) Hey! Not bad. The more attacks of opportunity the better, says I.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"You okay Mister Deephold?" he shouted as his head collided with folds of muscle.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian watched in horror as Passin was brought down by Garax. Once more he felt guilt and the hideous weight of responsibility for those he had convinced to join the cause. Is he dead? If not Garax could finish him off quickly. And Westian could not administer to him with the warrior so close by.

He told himself that even in death Passin was better off - at least he had had a chance to make atonement for his past deeds, and avoid taking the final step of donning the cursed armour. His soul would have been purified, and looked on more kindly by the High Lords. But those thoughts rang hollow as he watched his life-blood seeping onto the group in a dark pool.

While he was distracted the stinging blow from Dargat caught him painfully, and he shouted out in agony and surprise. Knowing that he had a limited chance of hurting the orc personally he stepped back behind Haynuus and cast the now familiar syllables of ON YA IR.

Withdraw, then standing Behind Haynuus so Aurek and Haynuus can get the full benefit of the shield.

Good idea about the bull rush Ian - if he is prone there are lots of people around to kick him while he is down.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I can see sparkly stars again! thought Haynuus as his head bounced off an orc.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"What is that wretched rat saying?" asked the blackskull soldier, spotted Ameena. "Wait, how did IT get HERE!" Ameena realised this was one of the four blackskulls that had accompanied her to the door, ones wth the embossed armour with faces like Drommal and the other leaders had.. The blackskull then turned the sword back on Theron. "what does she mean - what have you done with our master's spirit!"

Theron was still confused by Ameena's appearance and disappearance, and especailly seemed shocked at her knowledge. Still, he seemed to realise her words gave him leave to use some magic. "As she said, Gholst is before us, being attacked," Theron said, "I cannot get a clear spell against his attackers while he is surrounded!" Theron gestured, and a large ball of blue light formed, giving strange illumination to the hall.

The tall, fiery form of Gholst was made visible in the circle of sight Theron had cast. He was being struck by the ghosts that Falkor had assembled, although it looked as though several of the ghosts were weakening badly, while Gholst was still standing and stricking out, only the occasional wince and bellow showing he was under pressure.

"My lord!" cried out the blackskull, turning to the revealed form of his master, "what is-"

The blackskull then stopped speaking. He seemed to be frozen to the spot, and he turned around to Theron. The mage had his hand outstretched, apparently channeling some form of energy against the blackskull.

Ameena realised that the blackskull knew, perfectly, that Gholst was dead and Dargat was a 'fake'. The blackskull - infact all with the embossed armour blackskulls - must know the secret. There was probably none in this room who did not know, though it was just as certain that meant anyone still left outside from the grak-graks going mad would not know. The soldiers she had seen as she had moved around with small-small, and Brohur himself, had not possessed such elaborate embossed armour themselves.

"I...it will be alright, I can release him if we hurry," said Theron, taking a step backwards away fromthe blackskull as if horrified for some reason. It took a moment for Ameena to realise the strange look on the blackskulls face, the quiet pain and terror. His face looked...bluer...like he was colder. Or perhaps a better word was stonier. There was a mental flash of smething she had seen once, somethign to do with Falkor or Haynuus and a magical effect that could eventually freeze someone so well they turned to stone. Dead stone.

"He'll, he'll be k for now," said Theron, still looking at the blackskull aghast. he looked to Ameena as if to work her out, but the sight of Gholst drew him out of himself. "I was not lying - I cannot strike him while the other spirits are surrounding him, I...oh my..."

Theron then lookd to his side, and saw something else. "K...karrie? Is it really you?" he asked redundantly? A smaller gesture from Theron and a lesser blue circle appeared, showing Ameena the form of Karnadee, finally able to come beside Theron.

Ok, so Gholst is dstracted, there's a blackskull horribly dying from your distraction (though I had already told you they wouldn't be concerned regarding Gholst's death, still there were other thigns said to pull focus. And who knwos if the words will come back another time...). Decide if you wanna be Theron's bodyguard while he has a heart to heart, or if it's time to look to doing something else. Like working out where Helm has gone. I decided to rolled so low in your perception that you won't instantly spot where anyone else is near you, so you'll need to concentrate or go hunting.[/b]

Over at the other side of the hall, Haynuus did what had worked in times passed against Garax and others, and simply charged forwards to push Dargat over Uumack. The Trolin had just staggered upright and so it was perhaps not the kindest use of an ally, however Uumack seemed will to help Haynuus in the past so would hopefully forgive the half-orc.

Where Garax had been swift but not as strong as Haynuus though, instantly Haynuus realised that Dargat was perhaps stronger than the half-orc as well as being swift. Luck was on Haynuus's side, however, seeing that Dargat simply did not expect such a base move from the half-orc. Dargat was caught wrong footed, and stumbled backwards, falling over Uumack.

Uumack, too, did not expect such a move, and was kncoked over himself. The Trolin was not able to capitalise on Dargat's sudden defencelessness right away, but then Dargat was not able to capitalise on Uumack's own fall, Dargat too busy roaring his displeasure. The group took no hesitation in striking at the fallen opponent, trying to find weaknesses in hios glowing armour or tricking his head. Uumack himself had better luck against the fallen Dargat, striking the orc's head soundly as the orc stood up.

Haynuus yelled jubilantly towards Deephold to ensure the dwarf was still ok. However, there was oninous silence and it was Westian who spotted his sometime mentor being surrounded by two shapes - shapes he could see well in the gloom. The mummy Aurek had badly wounded had skulked off in to the darkness, apparently looping aroudn to take on the dwarf unawares. Whether Deephold was still fighting or not, Westian could not

Despite Aurek's angry words and solid blows, it was Haynuus himself that Dargat focused wild eyes upon. With a violent overhand swing Dargat cracked Haynuus's skull, in a move so driven by furiy that even Westian's erected shield did not quite restrain the force of it, the cleric seeing the half-orc stagger in front of him. Dargat shifted back a step in the confusion of the flailing half-orc, as if to shake off his growing rage instead of falling prey to it. He had not become the second of the blackskulls by being like others of his race. Also, Dargat's wounds and momentary dizziness could well caccount for the crack in his supreme confidence in himself.

Sorry Haynuus, 32 hit point damage there. Power attacks are a bitch! A little sad that Westian's shield didn't tip the balance this time, it was close. Of course, you only have banded non-magical mail and no reflexes to speak of, so you don't tank as well as you otherwise might!

Garax grabbed Passin's weapon again, kicking it free of the body, not seeing any resistance nor signs of life, apparently. Garax raised the bloody sword up towards Petal's position, but the pixie had eerily disappeared. The appearance of Gholst's predicament drew further colour and rage to Garax's own once defeated features, and he shifted back to stand shoulder to shoulder with Dargat, on facing one way, one the other.

"You split us and led us to ruin! Gholst is under assault, our brothers fight one another!" snarled Garax to Dargat.

Dargat glanced around at the glowing sight of Gholst reveal and being attacked. "Only with the elf dead do you see what we are. Lesser things dare strike us. Place hands on us. Gholst will destroy his foes. Remember who we were, and let us show these small things what they once feared. Remember who gave you your souls."

Garax looked to Dargat and the orc's wounds, and riased a sword against the group. He had set his lot with Dolo and Lolth in good faith, and had found that path severed. Whether he beleived in Dargat or not, it appeared he was not about to let Gholst nor Dargat be harmed any further through his inaction.

Good news, you're doing lots of damage to Dargat. By a quirk of the combat rounds (and the forgotten AoO generated by bull rush, 4th edition reversed that), everyone but Haynuus gets to strike at Dargat as the orc is pushed, and then everyone gets their AoO's refreshed, so everyone except Westian gets to strike at Dargat when Dargat stands up again this round!

Aurek, I forgot you'd rolled for your normal actions (good thing, I rolled two 4s_) but I hit for your first AoO, so that's cool. Feel free to roll for a second AoO though for Dargat standing. Westian, I need an AoO roll from you for Dargat being pushed. Poor Dargat rolled a 1 trying to hit Uumack when Uumack stood, or else he would probably be downed again. I also decided Dargat would power attack Haynuus rather than be defensive. So his AC is still beatable rather than obscene. And the standing made sure he couldnt' use multiple attacks or a whirlwind attack.

Movement stuff is good :) Haynuus losing hp is bad. Garax coming back to the fight...also bad! Your two main fighters both having great strength to do good damage is good - having Garax and Dargat able to concentrate a lot of attacks (six to be precise) on a single person who comes near...that might be painful.

Good luck! I think making the arrogant and proud Dargat retreat afetr a rain of blows is a pretty good signal that you are making damn good progress on this front. Of course, that just means I'll ratchet up the stakes on last time, and also it must mean somethign somewhere else is going less than perfectly...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Seeing that Theron and Karnadee seem finally able to speak to each other, Ameena casts a glance at the occupied Gholst. She wonders whether she should try to say anything more to Theron, but decides that perhaps she shouldn't disturb him for the moment. He doesn't seem in any immediate danger and Ameena wonders what she should do.
Looking toward the altar, she can't help but notice at least one prone form beside it and the continued movement of combat beyond. She hopes her friends are faring well enough - so much violence here. Too much.
But things do need to be done. Ameena now creeps hastily toward the altar, climbing back on top of it and noting that both Garax and Dargat have their backs to her as they confront her friends. Good, then.
She attempts to pull open the little hatch in the centre of the altar, as carefully as possible, in order to get at the prize beneath it.

OOC - Stealth for carefully sneaking over to the altar again = 22 (7+15). In case I need a Str check (or something) for opening the erm, hatch thingy in the middle, that's, urgh, 9 (no bonus). Taking the risk here that Gholst is too distracted fighting spirits to zap me. I won't assume that I can just reach in and grab the fragment even if I do succeed at opening the thingy so I won't post any more actions for the moment...
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Oi! I didn't forget the AoO from pushing the orc out of the way :) I'll take a free swing though! (1d20+13=20, 2d6+4=6)
I recommend that we take Dargat out asap. He just drains all life around him. I can attempt to push him again if you like but we may not be so lucky! (Darn it if only a small furry thing would get under his legs) Poor Deephold is going to get mauled though :(
Finally, DM, can Haynuus take a swig of health and THEN act? A standard attack against Dargat for example. It's next to suicide but as Haynuus is supposed to be acting 'last'.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOc - Oh, and Petal can drink her Serum of raw mana now!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, sorry, I knew I forgot to say something. So many things going on! I need to point out that anyone taking a swing at Dargat when the orc passes might hit Haynuus (1 in 4 chance). The AoO against the standing Dargat is fine. I had Uumack and Guree try and miss anyway (Uumack then hit with the standing swing). Aurek and Westian, your calls if you risk striking Haynuus the first AoO...:)

Ian: You don't get a free AoO for pushing the orc if that's what you mean, - nether of you draw AoO from each other for the forced movement - but you do get one for when Dargat tried to get up. And yes, you definitely can take potion as a move equivalant action and then make a five foot step then make a single standard attack. Though it certainly seems sucide to step in to that centre square beside the two warriors! Oh, I guess you can sidestep to be beside Uumack so less suicidal...ish..

And Petal can drink it if raixel plays the character, as an NPC she will be slower to use her resources and might need prompting or a good narrative reason to think she needs it :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Cheers! quaff
(08:09:07) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 4d6 and gets 1,2,5,3. => 11 HP!

Haynuus had never performed any magick in his life. He had drunk a few magic potions, bought and subsequently wore a few 'enchanted' charms while in the orcish flea-market. Never cast any spells. Facing the two warriors, bloodied yet readied, Haynuus knew he needed a special magic moment that only Petal, Falkor or Westian could perform. He was facing certain death.

He yanked Westian's VI potion from out of his back-pack, it still smelled of a stressed half-elf, and almost bit off the neck of the bottle to get the liquid into his mouth. His first magic trick he perfomed was one a halfling in an inn once attempted to teach him while Haynuus bought him 5 jugs of beer. The halfling could drink with his throat open. It was amazing. The liquid just peeled down the jug into his mouth and directly into his stomach. No gurgling or swallowing or anything. Straight down it went. The inebriated half-fellow attempted to show his new found friend how to keep your gullet open, and your beer down. Haynuus had failed back then. But the VI was a magic fluid that seemed to want to find the stomach of the half-orc. The halfling would have been proud (moreso if it was free beer).

"Step back!" he shouted to his brethren. It was time for his second piece of magic.

He stepped foward to Dagrat and performed the most simple of stabbing motion towards the orc. He then concentrated on what was within his OH sword and and requested that the spirit within be free! The feeling of the OH bound by the VI was one he had felt many times while wielding it, only now with all of his might, with all of his feeling and sheer will he commanded the spirit to be dramatically released for always.

Kind of a bummer if it was stuck in an orc's gut at the time really :)

OOC - OK, a d 20 to hit, and a d20 widom/intelligence or whatever roll for releasing the sword's 'do or die' effect.
(08:25:17) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 1d20 and gets 16.
(08:25:27) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 1d20 and gets 7.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian swung ineffectually at Dargat as he toppled to the floor. His disappointment at missing him was tempered by pleasure at seeing he fall to the ground.

The shout-out from Haynuus to Deephold was ominously unanswered. The reason was unclear, but Westian initially felt an urge to go to defend his former master. But the situation around him was no less desperate. Haynuus was almost floored by yet another swing from Dargat - leaving now was not an option. Besides, the theory of battle tactics required maintenance of aim. This meant finish one foe off before starting on another: the less foes standing, the less damage could be dealt to your side. And now that Dargat and Garax were both nearby, there was no walking away.

Seeing the fact that Haynuus was bleeding profusely Westian had a hard choice to make. He could create a potion, but would Haynuus be able to drink it in the thick of action? Not easily. He could try to build up the shield, but one more blow like that and Haynuus would be dead. Not only a friend, but also one of their best fighters, would be gone. In the end after a moment’s hesitation Westian decided on a shield, but the best shield he could create. He shouted EE YA IR in a loud voice, and prayed that luck would be on their side.

AoO on Dargat reached him rather than Haynuus, but it was only a 4 so I presume that does not matter. Westian will try to stand as close as possible to Haynuus, Aurek and the Trolins.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Aurek's sword's lack of connection just angered him further, and he groaned in dismay. The situation was beginning to look worse. I can't go down without a fight he thought to himself, gaining some new found courage, and he raised his sword justly... aiming to put an end to Dargat for good.

I don't move (not counting a 5ft step) don't I get two attacks per round?

Attack of opportunity:
Roll for NOT hitting Haynuus: (02:22:41) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 1d4 and gets 4
Attack roll: (02:25:18) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 1d20 and gets 12
Damage roll: (02:25:46) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 1d8 and gets 5

Normal attack rolls: (02:26:35) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 2d20 and gets 3,8
Damage rolls: (02:27:05) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 2d8 and gets 1,4

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ameena leaves the humans and family to hopfully work everything out, and perhaps Gholst will meet a deserved end. The murafu creeps forwards so as not to draw attention to the place the last soul stone piece was hidden. Ameena managed to scrample back up on to the altar despite the patches of blood and the two bodies lying there. After all, there was something important to focus on. However, the 'small 'lid' she had detected on the top was not as easy to dig her nails in to as she thought. She could not shift the stone with what little she could squeeze in to the narrow craps.

And then something grasps around her back leg, and yanked her away.

"What...what are you ...doing?" asked Passin with a strained, quiet voice, his face pale and blood trickling from the corner of his mouth. The human had a huge stain and rip on the front of his tunic, and had obviously been brutally stabbed.

Ameena's movements were not detected by the two imposing figures close by, facing off against Ameena's friend. Aurek charged forwards to deliver a reign of blows to make Dargat pay for assaulting Haynuus and not the paladin himself. Uumack was closest to Dargat as the orc had made his retreat, and aimed a blow at the orc that was deflected by a brutal blow. Guree used the distraction of the other fighters to make a quick flanking move to the left, holding her needle knife would find purchase in the orc's armour.

However, Dargat seemed bolstered by the support of his fellow blackskull. It was, infact, Dargat that had recruited Garax and there wasa strange bond between the two depsite all that had happened recently. Garax held back from helping Dargat, only because he knew the orc was about to swing in a brutal dance. Aurek's own assaults were parried, Uumack's own attack was stopped dead as Dargat smashed him first and felled the trolin, and Guree managed to minimise the wound on her arm alone, but it threw off her own strike and it skipped harmlessly over the glowing armour of Dargat.

The orc gave a sneer on his bloodied features, still spinning garax's weapon while looking to the others. he also spared a look to the struggling Haynnus.

Haynuus, of course, still had a potion of Westian's, althoug bloody, shaking fingers made it hard to get the bulk passed his wo nswollen tongue. Still, it would have to do. Haynuus made a swift movement against Dargat directly, even thouh it forced him in to harm's way with Garax close. Westian slotted in behind the orc, hoping the shielding would protect the orc with Larethian's blessing.

Haynuus struck forwards with the OH blade, with a precision that surprised Dargat, the orc havign not quite recovered his footing from his previous attack. Of course, it was also a surprise because tactically speaking, such an over=-exptended stab would be a foolish move to make. Had not Haynuus had a different idea for getting through.

Wish push coming to show, Haynuus was not quite shure how exactly to phrase or think about letting the spirit in his blade go. The cirlet could only suggest actually telling it it possessed freedom, and it suddenly became tricky to understand how to request some violent means of freeing itself...

There was a strange sucking of air for a moment, and Dargat's sneer became fixed as he realised Haynuus's expression was wrong. Two sets of bloody orcish faces were set firmly, eyes locked-

And then with a orar the OH blade exploded. Haynuus was thrown backwards, knocking in to Westian and crumping to the floor shocked. As Haynuus had warned his companions, and yet they had valiantly stood shoulder to shoulder with him, all had been buffetted by the exoplosive winds of the elemental freeing itself.

The important effect was more to do with Dargat. The giant orc was blown backwards almost striking the edge of the altar. There was a metallic clattering and the impression of things flying in all directions. It took a moemnt for all those still standingh to spot that something was wrong with Dargat. His checst had, sadly, not been blown open. However, his armour had - the glowing parts of thee Tazen armour around his check and legs and been undone by the elemental's release. The shocked orc was stunned, but more importantly was now far from impervious to attacks to his bare chest, arms and head. And garax's curved blade currently lay discarded beside him, aswell.

Garax recovered from the surprise, and stabbed down at the prone Haynuus before shuffling backwards to check on Dargat. "You will pay for this with your lives!" he spat, "I'll drag your souls in to my armour myself!"

LB and OB, I need you to make a DC 18 reflexes check for Westian and Aurek, or else you get knocked prone. Haynuus gets no save. Garax passed his. OB, in order to stay close to Haynuus I moved you behind him in the initiative order. Let me know if that's not acceptable. Also, roll me a religeon check, please!

Westian's shield and a low roll stopped Aurek from getting damage from Dargat, but Garax rolled a nat 20 so no such reprive for Haynuus. Luckily Garax wasn't power attacking nor with his own weapon, so 'just' 10 hp damage Haynuus.

Wasn't sure how to treat the OH do-or-die effect, really. The low roll for communication meant I didn't want it to do spectacular damage. Instead, I think Dargat losing his armour is a better benefit more fitting with a lack of communicatuon. It means pretty much everyone gets to reliably start wounding him, with secondary attacks having a good chance of hitting too. Unless he goes on the defensive (constantly forcing him to have lower attack rolls to boost his AC). It does, however, bring in a feat to play I didn't think he'd be able to use...

Note Uumack is felled (again :( ), not just prone. Ok, he's prone too, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, Ameena - you'll need to be careful, sicne you have a prone Dargat near you. Everyone else, bad guys are on the run but still have some tricks up their sleeve. A combination of some good tactics and rolplay here, combined with a couple of rounds of decent attack rounds might see you move on the final part of the encounter. Still many ways to die, of course! Don't forget the Lolth thread was delayed not removed, so there's a ticking clock in the backgroudn too...

Now might also be a good time to let each other know how good/bad you are in terms of hit points, potions and spells remaining in the OOC thread!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena looks around in surprise as Passin addresses her - she had been trying not to look at him, supposing him dead and disliking the sight of so much blood flowing. But it turns out he's alive - he must be in a lot of pain, she thinks, and though she knows she should probably explain what she's doing on the altar, her innate desire to see no-one in pain, even if they might try to harm her, causes her to pull out the health potion she has remaining. She pours some of it over the wound in Passin's chest and attempts to pour the rest down his throat, if he'll let her.
"I'm trying to help." she says, referring to her actions on the altar and speaking as quietly as she can right into the human's ear. "I'm trying to make this all be over, so the world doesn't get destroyed. So no-one else gets hurt. Will you help me?"

OOC - I think we assumed my remaining health potion is whatever the strongest one was that Westy could conjure up, right? I've no idea how many dice that is, though... And do I need to roll another Stealth for talking to Passin without any nearby Big Scary Bastard Orcs hearing, or does the previous one carry?
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"Destroyed?" Passin almosted mouths, althogu hthe potion of WEstian's seemed ot wash away the blood without any new blood forming from his chest. There is a small hiss, and Passin eagerly allows Ameena to feed him the rest of the potion. "Why have you...been attacking the others? Are there other rats here, now?"

If you keep behind the altar and quietly speak to Passin, tha previous one can carry. If you wanna attempt to override it, or if you try a 'new' action like leave the area, or attempt to get the soulstone again, then roll me another.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - I'll jsut stick to the "talking quietly" thing for now :).

BIC - "I'm a murafu, not a rat." explains Ameena patiently. "Don't worry - lots of people make that mistake. But rats aren't sentient. And I'm not attacking anyone. These people are...I mean, the Blackskull people, and Gholst and everyone...they'll bring about the end of the world if things go wrong. Because if Theron dies, then...someone...will show up, and he'll destroy the world. But Gholst is umm...busy, at the moment. So he can't possess Theron and kill him. So I'm trying to get the...umm...that is, I hope you're not going to try and stop me. It would be good if you could help - you're stronger than me. If we can get this done quickly, then hopefully no-one else will get hurt. But...but if you don't want to help, then...then I suppose you might try to hurt me, or kill me...but...I can't just leave people to...to be in pain. But whatever's going to happen, we need to do things quickly. Please?"
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Seeing Uumack fall again, Westian grabbed an empty flask and muttered LO VI. Once more he lobbed to to Guree. "Catch, give it to Uumack."

Not wanting to separate himself from Haynuus and Aurek, he stayed close to the pair. "One more push men, we have them!" he shouted boldly, either unaware, or politely ignoring, the fact that Haynuus was on the flat of his back.

Throw was 13 + 9 = 22. Religion check was 11 + 6 = 17. Dropping initiative to fall behind Haynuus is fine, he will stay in a good tactical position (shielding our guys, not Garax or Dargat).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Can kiiiinda play a little loose with Ameena's timeframe if it's just some free action speeches and a move action to pour a healing potion on Passin. Might at least get the the point of a new standard action to be attempted for a more action packed update all round tomorrow :D Oh, I forgot to say Ameena, the powerful potion was a 4d6 potion.

Speakign of Westian, curse OB's ability to roll high during rolls. Is it too much to ask to move NPCs in to dangerous positions, or have potions smash on the ground? :p Remind me to have Dargat spot your ring and make an Improved Sunder roll. You think I'm joking about that as a feat...? Maybe I am!

"Something is already showing up!" said Passin, grimacing at moving. However, Westian's miraculous waters seemed to have taken a man on the point of death and restored him. He gave Ameena a look of pure suspicion at her previous words, for some reason. Rats attacking...other rats here now. Could it be possible that small-small's people, the strange pain rats, had been causing trouble to the blackskulls? Who knew.

Passin still held something in his bloody hand, something he looked at briefly and then put in a pocket as he painfully shifted. "What do you need from me?" he asked suspiciously. "I have no weapon, barely any strength..."

No need for diplomacy or anything Ameena, just detail what you need the man to do. He can but try!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena decides that she should simply tell Passin what's going on. Then he can decide whether or not to help. But she knows she should act quickly.
"This might sound strange," she says, "but this is what's happening. You know of the Grey One? Um...he looks like a human, I think, with blue eyes and a grey robe, and he can use lots and lots of magic. And Theron is his friend, I think. I'm trying to put the Soulstone back together so that the Grey One can come back, and then he can use his magic to...make things right, I hope. But if Gholst kills Theron then the Grey One will turn into...into the Dark One. Um...he's...well, dark. And tall. With horns. And red glowing eyes..."
She gives a brief, involuntary shudder but recalling what happens if she thinks too much on certain things quickly moves on.
"If that happens then the Dark One will destroy everything. That is, well, everything. Everywhere. But Gholst is busy at the moment. If I can get the Soulstone back together again then hopefully he won't possess Theron and kill him. Um...the Soulstone is...um...a glowing stone. It's magical, and if it can be put together then the Grey One will come back. But it's in pieces. One of them is inside the middle of this...altar...thing. But I can't open the top of it to get inside. Can you help? Maybe we can both do it, somehow. But we have to be careful. And quick. And if we can do this properly, then hopefully we can all be back outside beneath the Bright Eye...um...that is, what you call the Sun, I think? And we can just...well, live..."
She trails off, looking at Passin and hoping there's something he can do to help. Maybe he can figure out how to get the altar open. Though she supposes that sooner or later, someone unpleasant will notice them...
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Seeing his moment to strike... Aurek ran across in front of Guree, staying out of Garax's reach, to loom over the now injured Dargat. "I told you that I'd pay you back!" he taunted, lowering his trusty sword into the orc's exposed flesh.

I'm going to move next to Dargat, on the oppositite side to Garax.
(15:20:41) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 1d20 and gets 17
(15:20:45) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 1d8 and gets 7

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin