TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Post by beowuuf »

Ok guys, I'm merging you together. First post of for Westian, Falkor and Aurek. Second post is for Haynuus, Ameena, and Raixel. You guys can read each other's posts if you want, as the plan is to sort of hint at what's happened each to the other and also have them narrate together. Either way, you will be ending in the same place, so will probably see each other in an update or two's time. Maybe :D Welcome to the end!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Lord, you knew it would end this way...

The Trolins had always seemed a barbaric, chaotic people from tales and even from afar. However, their discipline when focused on war was terrifying. It was no wonder Lord Chaos tolerated and courted them. If takles were true, he even captured their King and copied the Trolin's form to create more of the creatures formed of nothing but magic. A small army was forming, at speed that was unbelieveable.

Four figures led by an invisible one were on a crash coure to meet a flank of this army. However, for the moment they walked and flew with their minds on something else, unaware. Pulled back along brick tunnels and rocky passageways to an underground marvel. And awaiting them, an unnatural horror.

It was five other figures, human and humanoid, who observed the Trolin army take shape from the inside. The Trolins had been stirred, and their movement once the inertia of distrust and self-interested had been eroded was spectacular. The King's Guard formed up with extra weapons magically. The King wished to appear strong, and so settled for only four of the twelve guards that appeared, taking armour and weapon from the rest as if without care.

Two more groups of Trolins magically formed, a group of eight earth-covered Trolins of lesser appearance, led by a small, thin Trolin. This leader was Karda, and he and his Trolins were only one of two tribes who dared to go to the edges of the Trolin lands, with the threats of grak-graks, and explore the dangerous underground cavern of the elementals. These trolins possessed powerful natural bows, and long bladed weapons and polearms. They moved with a grace and deceptive power. They were the ones that moved frowards first, after checking in.

Westian and Aurek had already dealt with part of the second group. Uumack - an honourable Trolin who defended the honour of Haynuus by slaying his group leader - had led Westian and Aurek to meet the Tronlin King. Uumack's ultimate tribal leader, Pullack. A solid dark blue Trolin, he embodied the tribe he had gathered to him. He and his trolins were armed with powerful clubs, good armour, and many wore small crossbows on their wrists. They looked as if they would happily fight, but also happy to be on this scouting mission. Despite being surrounded by powerful Trolins, for the moment Westian could feel secure. TIme and again, to various factions, the half-elf priest especially had proven the power of his oration and the power of his convictions. Whilst this route originally supposed to be a distraction for a rescue, thigns had changed. Westian had done much - some quetsionable, to those with the luxury and hintsight and distance - in order to now ensure the dark elf priest Dolo Smitre would be defeated. And then, so to his masters.

One of the King's guards gave Falkor, the halfling mage, strange looks. The halfling had kept demonstrating his powers - some of knowledge, some of magic, some of speech, and some fro mthe cloak he wore - multipel times aswell. Runour surrounded the exact nature and limit of those powers, but he was given many shows of respect despite the difference in height and girth of his frame to thiers. He carried himself differently from how some of his companiuons might remember. There were less questionable thigns, in recent memory, he had done that provided a purity of purpose.

The last two figures were the knight Sir Farl, and his squire Ardur. The tow had been reunited, however they could not seem to pull free of the party they once more travelled with, nor of the dungeon itself. Betrayed by the gnome mage Soorec who in turn claimed a betrayal, Sir Farel seemed to be torn between duty to his charge, and duty to the world. Westian had been most persuasive - if vague - about how serious the matter at hand was.

Unlike the counterparts of the main army that moved through Trolin lands to atart the assault on the bordering realm claimed by the blackskull soldiers, these three groups of Trolisn and one group of heroes moved onwards in as much silence as they could.

For Falkor, Farel and Ardur they were about to approach an ear they had not seen before. Tunnels widened to rocky corridors, and sudden'y there was a feel of hugeness, of airiness. All of a sudden. the group found themselves on a ledge, looking down upon a cavern hundreds of feet wide, and hundred of feet long. At the bottom of it was an expansive lake of dark water. All around was the impression of greenery clinging to the walls, and movement in the air and on the rocky ledges above, at the sides and below that hinted of varieties of life. On the ledge they were on, tiny screamers seemed to hover over patches of discolour.

Karda and his trolins were a vague shape on a ledge bside the lake below and to the left. It was Pullack and the champions who stood looking from on High. The King came forwards, his guards spreading out as they could.

"Who knew this place existed," said Sir Farel, looking around with awe.

Of course, Westian and Aurek knew, for they had been here before. Losing the grak-grak 'guides' of Soorec, and taking the matters of Dolo's defeat in to their own hands. They had left this place hoping to re-unite with Haynuus and Ameena once the pair had freed the dwarf Deephold. A chance discovery of the elementals that existed in the this place - discovered by Aurek - had allowed them to find the short cut beyond the waterfall, a secret way in to Dolo's lair.

The cavern had changed since the last time Aurek and Westian had been here. There was no sign of the two friends beside the waterfall. For there was no sign of the waterfall on the left hand side of the cavern. That would have been strange enough.

The wtaerfall, three stories high, had caught the light from the surface directed down a long chimney. Without the waterfall, no light should have been available to light this place.

Instead, the place was lit even brighter. On the wall almost directly across from the group, hundreds of feet away, was a bright slrip of light. The entire cavern wall appeared cracked, and from it poured unnatural radiance.

Huh, just realised how Doctr Who that all sounds. Anyway, welcome back ot the cavern. For the tow of you who haven't been here before, feel free to ask OOC questions. Westian, feel free to ask questions too, like 'what the heck is that?'
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Post by beowuuf »

Edit: Sorry, your one is more of a summary than I meant it to be. Apologies! Still, might be interesting for the others to read :)

The four companions moved around. Two had been through this dungeon together from the start, mismatched in every way and yet had formed a near unbeatable teamagainst one of the leading blackskulls. Ameena and Haynuus moved through the passageways leading back to the giant cavern quickly, one aided by darksight and one by their nose as the torchlight became harder to maintain.

What with their quick pace, and with the air elemental stirring and churning the air as it moved.

The two other figures had not known each other - nor the other two - until recently. They were able to move ahead with ease, that's to their own keen eyesight. Petal was a champion of her people, who had come to fight Lord Chaos. Instead, she had met an unknwon end, unknown until now when she had freed herself from it. Chance, or deeper machinations of the universe, had brought her to a group of three champions, looking to face the new threat under Anaias.

Deephold was a dwarf cleric, and acquiantence of Westian. Indeed -in a manner of speaking- Westian was only here because of the dwarf, to aid the dwarf in discovering what was happenign deep in the Grey Lord's domain. Deephold had found out, sure enough, though by that time was powerless to do anything about it, caught first by the gnome mage Soorec, and then given away to the dark elf priest Dolo Smitre.

Deephold owed his rescue to Haynuus and Ameena's efforts. They had fought through Garax Warblade, almost slaying the man, in a bid to reach Deephold. Sadly, Ameena had lost her life in the attempt. Dolo had plans for her, a way to extend his own life by matching it to hers, throug ha dark stone. Ameena and Haynuus met Deephold as prisoners all. However, Dolo's own arrogance and powerlessness to true courage and friendship saw him temporarily defeated, the three champions escaping, and meeting Petal on the way.

The cavern was a constant, where the champions were drawn to time and again. The second time Deephold had managed to repay Ameena's sacrifice by rescuing her from the dark stone, aided by Ameena's strength and the support of Haynuus and Petal. And by the sacrifice of the elementals of the place too.

However, Dolo was not defeated. And Westian had not returned. The four had tried to find track of Westian, and had instead fallen foul of the guides the original group had shaken loose. Eventually - with threats to Helm, a thief of Deephold and Ameena's acquantience that Soorec had somehow captured - the four had been forced to coem to Soorec.

Yet Dolo proved his power, using the minds of the group to finally enter Soorec's and end a stalemate once and for all.

The group - thanks to Haynuus's brave efforts and Petal remaining hidden - had managed to secure freedom from Dolo once again. And so, once again, they found themselves drawn to the cavern. A third time. And for a third time, they had to consider the danger of Dolo Smitre. Though before that, the matter of where Westian and Aurek had ended.

And before that - the matter of the strange creature that the air elemental had described. Something terrifying and unnatural.

The air elemental that led them moved swiftly, and took a turning that they had not taken when leaving the cavern. That meant that the group came out further right than they had emerged before, close to where Ameena and Haynuus had first entered the cavern.

As before, the light improved as they got close, speakign of the internal illumination of the cavern. However, this time somethign was wrong. There was no roaring noise of the waterfall.

And then it was obviously the cavern was too bright compared to before.

And then, the group entered the cavern. Instantly, they could see the issue. Over on the war wall, about half way along the far wall, was a crack that was from roof to almost the lake. It was irritatinly bright. And yet the illumination it provided seemed even when not staring directly at it, the whole cavern lit the same despite the great distances.

Ameena shivered, for she had seem this thing - now that her memories had returned - in small form. It looked exactly the same as a small crack she fell throuigh, coming from the future back to her present.

Petal could feel the magic of the crack. Or rather, the lack of it. It twisted her senses in a way that not even the Chaos blasted areas had. She could smell the nothingness of it, could see the sound of silence eminating from it.

Haynuus hears a whisper from his circlet. "Bad news," it said simply.

Ok, more once you guys have caught a breath and reacted - after all, you now have three more thread mates, two of whom won't be back until Tuesday. So I can afford to drip feed you details and answers for a few days :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Ooh, a big scary Crack in Time - hey, shouldn't someone now jump into the Pandorica and fly it up into the exploding TARDIS in order to create a new Big Bang, and... ;)

BIC - Ameena stares at the crack. Or rather, stares at it as best she can witht he brightness emanting from it. She has to look away after not-very-long, but wonders what it really is. She remembers falling through the ceiling and seeing that crack, only smaller, but...it had been terrifying, then. She feels no enforced urge to panic now, though of course she is naturally nervous of it, remembering how she came to fall through the smaller crack in the first place.
She edges forward a little, trying to peer down to see the Water, and also looks around the cavern (at least, those parts of it not too bright from the light across the way). One thing at a time[, she has decided. First, Helm. Then...no. First, Helm. Yes. First, find the Water. Ask about Helm. Bring him back. Then think about other things.

OOC - Of course I'm presuming Haynuus (or at least someone) is still carrying Helm...well, if they weren't then Ameena wouldn't have come all this way back from the top of the pit without him ;). Perception check for looking/listening/smelling etc, mainly looking for the Water Elemental - just 'cause we can't hear the waterfall doesn't mean all the water's mysteriously disappeared, but you haven't actually stated that the lake's still there, soo...bleh. Perception = 12 (1+11). I think the nasty bright light is getting in the way :P.
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"I don't understand." was the best way for Haynuus to convey the situation. "But it doesn't matter." was the best answer that Haynuus could think of. He subconsciously shifted the weight of the corpse once more over his shoulder - he was ready to drop the 'dead weight' within an instance of danger. It was then he saw others across the cavern. Perception check (1d20+2=10) He couldn't make out the details of the figures, but they might need hitting in a short while although it was difficult to say.

"Just remember, we're to meet Westian and the others here as well. We shouldn't leave here without checking behind the waterfa... Waterfall that isn't there anymore." He then explains to Petal that he went off to talk to the Trolin King in an attempt to 'remove' the evil human soldiers that had taken over large swathes of this place.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Incidentally I didn't read the other post, only the one aimed at the group I'm in, so I don't know what Westy and the others are up to right now ;).
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Petal sighs when she looks at the crack. Now what? Life was so much simpler in her forest. She instincively shies away from the nothingness of the odd crack. It felt wrong. Worse than even Chaos.

"And this is what?" she mutters in annoyance.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - The cavern is very well lit Ameena, but you're right that Beo didn't mention them in the second post!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Aurek thinks that he sees some movement in the cavern... but he isn't sure (1d20 = 19. I'm gonna go with the idea that I succeeded here) he starts to make out various shapes moving in the dark, then he believes that he can see a small furry creature... but the details only seem vague. He concentrates more, and the shapes seem to begin to make more sense. Is THAT Ameena? Or am I just seeing shadows? he thinks to himself as he gazes around the gigantic cavern.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Give you lot a huge unnatural and threatening hole in the wall, and you go 'meh' and start looking around for anythign else interesing! I wasn't going to let either group see the other to start with, however you can if you wish. You are both on the same side of a large cavern though, only navigable by ledges with evil creatures attached ot the walls in some places. So you aren't goign to be able to meet up instantly. I will ressurect the map at some point and label it with stuff.

And yes, I mentioned the lake was there in the first thread and not the second, Given that I was regurgitating so many plot points, you can forgive me if I thought I'd done it on both.

Will quickly update for Ameena, Raixel and Haynuus, but want to wait for Westian and Falkor's reactions before moving that side forward.

The water in the lake was moving and swellign in unusual ways, and in the even light of the crack, the occasional head or hand could be seen of a water elemental. The elemental that had greeted them was not something to easily be found. It seemed that all the water elementals were moving aroudn where the crack might eventually touch, however they were not comign free of the water. As a side note, while there was still the occasional movement in the rest of the lake, the edge beside the waterfall - where Ameena had freed herself of the dark stone - now seemed unnaturally calm.

The air was a shimmering haze around the crack, It took the air elemental's words to explain this was not from the crack itself. That his fellows were now gathered aroudn the thing, trying to work out what it was. And also keeping other creatures from drifting in to it. Deephold barely paid attention, he was lost in prayers, as if looking to Larethian for answers.

In Petal's head, an odd little voice stirred.
Spoiler
"It's calling to me!" said mini Lord Chaos. In Petal's mind's eye, the figure took a step backwards, as if terrified.

Unknowingly, both Haynuus and Aurek were lookign across to each other at the same time, however both had more pressing concerns being raised by those that had led them to this place once more.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

The half orc passed his attention to the crack in the wall illuminating the cavern. "So this is what you mean when you say something is wrong." he said to the elemental. "What can we do? Do you know what it is?" He looked back to his friends for assurance. To Ameena he then said "I still say we must try to return to the cave behind what was the waterfall. To see if Westian returned, or..." he catches sight of an armoured humanoid.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena is peering down at the Water below. She calls out.
"Hello? Are you alright down there? I...um...wanted to ask you something..."
She isn't sure whether now is a good time to be asking this sort of thing, but she is aware that soon it might possibly be too late. And then what will happen? Will Helm just stay dead forever but his spirit be trapped down here? Will something bad come and take it? Or maybe he'll be able to be free, but she'll never know because spirits of the dead can't speak with the living...

Post by raixel »

Spoiler
Petal looks at the small being in her minds eye. "No. I wont let it take you." she tells him. I made a promise to you, and sorcerers dont break their promises. Mentally, she reaches out and grabs his small hand, ignoring the cloak of fire. "Im here with you."
She opens her eyes and looks around, trying to figure out exactly what this thing is, and what its significance is. Perception/ Know arc (1d20+5=15, 1d20+8=15)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian became worried when there was no sight of the waterfall. He had led this group through the cavern promising a shortcut, and any disruption to that plan could be very inconvenient. Not to mention embarrassing. Then again, perhaps it meant that the water elementals had left, so passage would now be even easier.

Another worry however was the nature of the large – and recent – fissure in the cavern wall. It did not look like it fitted in this place, and the light coming from beyond seemed more unnatural than comforting.

“We need to get over there” he said, pointing where the waterfall used to be. “It seems different. Maybe the water elementals are gone. Maybe.” He did not sound convinced.

Even though he was not weighed down with armour, and felt more nimble than ever since the elementals had shown him the power of the brass ring he had worn, he still remembered his last time in this room and how he had nearly fallen to his death. Less certain than he had been, he began to tentatively walk on the ledge, nervously peering into the depths below.

Is the crack near where the waterfall was? Would we be able to explore both if we went in one direction?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Map for you all. Debating about postign another update, or leaving it for another day to let LB and money see what's already here (and letting any of you react further now you know where everything is). Might just make the first full update later on. After food. And when did it get so late? :(

Map: Image
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It was Uumack that diverted Westian's attention back the way they had come, showing him that the makeshift craggy stones they had used also went down to the cavern floor with ease, taking them to the cavern floor, and allowing them to tie back up with Karda's group closer to where the waterfall had been.

Of course, only Uumack and Guree out of all the Trolins knew that the crack was new. Even Pullack and his other Trolins did not realise that, apaprently having not been here for quite the while. Still, while to the King this was brand new, and to Falkor, everyone else new that the waterfall should be falling.

"Majesty," said Pullack, pointing around, "see there are air elementals tending crack. And at base of crack, water elementalsin water. Not normally see. Very dangerous. But seem to be tending their creation, so safe. Need to watch out for the creatures of air and water when we go down to cavern floor."

"And watch out for cavern walls," said Uumack to the King, pointing to the area just to the right of the group where screamers grew from the walls, and odd purple tentacles flicked out, as if on queue, to try and snatch a small baby wasp (only the size of a kitten) from the air.

Pullack gave Westian a strange look. "You make waterfall stop," he said without emotion. Was that what his terror sounded like? "Never knew anything behind fall. Never."

The cavern bhind the waterfall was still pitch black from where the group were, although Karda's group should be able to see it soon if they moved any closer. For the moemnt, at least, Karda and his trolins seemed distracted by the crack and the cavern as everyone else was.

everyone except Aurek, who was still sure that a light flaring, and odd shapes were appearing. A small rat creature, and a tall and broad figure in glittering armour that nevertheless seemed to be Haynuus-shaped. Weirder still, he was sure a tame giant wasp - or something - was hovering in the area. And then, very faintly, there seemed to be an echo as if of a small, high poitched yet familiar voice...

Ok, so you guys decide if you will stay on the ledge and look around further, or if you will all go down to the cavern floor and across to the area where the waterfall used to be. Sorry, no way to go right up to the crack without goign passed the waterfall area and back ot the other side. Not unless you can start speaking to the air or water elementals and persuade them to give you a short cut across.

Over at the other side, while Haynuus was distracted by looking across to the emerging Trolins, and equally sure he saw both them and a light source - and the figure of Aurek - Ameena was trying to aid her dead friend. Deephold realised what she was doing, and also scrambled across to the edge to see the result.

The air elemental stirs beside Haynuus. - know not what it is, neither of us. Though water has been slow since the incident with the dark stone. Now draws all their power to themselves to protect in case the light that is not light touches the lake -

It then sees what Haynuus has caught sight of. - yes, also creature come back. It seems to be your two friends, but they have others, and are in the company of...earth dwellers - The air elemental says the last with revulsion. It appears it does not liek the Trolins either. Unsurprisingly, of course, sicne the Trolins probably hunt or attack the various winged creatures around the cavern for sport as well as self defense. - is it not more likely they are the ones who wear other faces? We do not know how to tell, you all seem so alike to us. We usually do not concern ourselves so. We leave water to his anger and his prejudices. -

As Ameena calls downwards, the air elemental seems to understand what Ameena is trying to do. - please, let me help you down. All of you who wish. -

Already, on the cavern floor, a part of the lake rises up. Some of the water washes away again, and in its place is a tall humanoid sitting down with feet dangling in the water. It is the water elemental the group spoke to before, its one arm still dssolved away. It looks less than it was before, yet still looks upwards proudly to where Ameena was callign from.

So, do you guys want to go down to talk to the water elemental, keep speakign to the air elemental, or figure out a way to go over to the waterfall/Westian and co fast?

Meanwhile, Petal was concentrating her senses, flying in the air with her eyes closed for a moment.
Spoiler
In her mind's eye, the proud figure seems to draw back at the familiar touch, however then stops as it seems to realise that pulling back too far will actually succeed in breaking the connection with the held hand. The tiny Chaos instead turns sideways to look at the crack, as if ignoring the gesture. However, a sulphurous tear appears from nowhere and splashes on the imaginary ground.
Petal tries to see and not see what the thing is, however it defies all logic and magic. She would almost swear it is not there at all, despite its obvious effects everywhere. AS she looks to the edges, to see what the elementals are doing, does she start to notice small strands or something. Looking to and fro, and trying to work out if they are something magical, she realises that there seem to be some comign directly towards her. Looking behind to see where they go, she realises something. While the light of the crack illuminates everythign while not illuminating it, Ameena and Haynuus are like black spots. They are visible because the air aroudn them is illuminated, but Petal realises that the lgiht somehow does not really reflect on those two. The dead Helm and Deephold seem normal. The two strands seem to attach perfectly to Haynuus and Ameena.

There are three more strands, that go across the cavern to a group of Trolins standing closer to the waterfall, also on the ledge here. There appear to be humanoid figures with them.

Looking to herself, Petal also appears perfectly illuminated by the lgith that is not light. However, then she sees something strange on her too. It is not anything she can see on the other four, nor anywhere in the cavern. She has a small black strand of nothing around her ankle. It trails off, not towards the crack, but unerringly across the lake and towards where the waterfall is. And surely, beyond.
Spoiler
"Don't let go of me!" says a voice in her head,
And Petal gets a hint too that Westian and co might be over there. And that her new friends are connected to the crack. And a worrying little thing to consider to. Though as with the crack, it's not all doom and gloom :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena looks down at the figure of Water as it rises up.
"Hello!" she calls. "I just wanted to know...I mean...you see...my friend here..."
She gestures with a paw toward Helm.
"He's...well...he's dead, but...down here, it's not the same as normal dying, is it?" she asks. "That is...the body dies but the spirit doesn't...or can't...go wherever it is spirits normally go. And I think...well, the Air said you might be able to help...bring him back?"
She asks this hopefully, staring over at the Water-shape and silently wishing that, one way or the other, she will soon find out for sure whether she'll ever be able to speak to (and be heard by) her human friend again.

Post by raixel »

Petal narrows her eyes. Trolins! Like the ones called by Chaos who destroyed her village.

"There, Trolins I see. Others as well, not trolins they are." she tells her companions while pointing in the direction of the figures. "My village, trolins destroyed it. Servants of evil, the blue monstrs are."

Then she notices the tendril attached to her leg, and tries to pull away
Spoiler
as well as hearing the voice's pleas. She focuses her mind n the image of the little High Lord, holding his hands with both of hers. "Don't worry. I wont let you go. I didnt let Him take you, im not gonna let something like this either. But, do you know what this darkness is? None of the others have it. Is it related to you, somehow?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I don’t think Westian would come up with the idea of asking the elementals for help – in his mind they are an obstacle to be dealt with, not something helpful.

Westian simply listened impassively as the Trolins spoke, not letting any emotions – particularly fear or confusion – shine through. He glanced down at the base of the old waterfall, half expecting to see Haynuus and Ameena waiting for them, but it looked deserted. Shrugging to himself he set out in that direction. “The shortcut was this way” he said simply, pointing at the now dry waterfall.

Westian will want to see if the shortcut is accessible – that is his main concern at the moment, and the fact that things have changed is making him a bit nervous. Afterwards, when he feels a bit more secure that he has not lead them into a dead end he will pay more attention to the rest of his surroundings. Don’t know if money or LB are around and if they want to have a different plan of action/ Westian has not seen the other group yet, he is focused in the opposite direction.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Haven't seen money yet, sure I've seen LB lurking.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

"I'm sorry to hear that, Petal. Unbelievable I know but I don't actually like killing things, not even Trolins." He glances across to them. Maybe Westian was successful? It's also likely that he'd need to hit a few before the day was ended however. "I still want to get to behind the waterfall, but those trolins are in the way though."

First however was the water elementals. "Thank you, i'll accept your offer for some help, Mister Water Elemental." And with that assumed that he'd drown if it wasn't completely aware how heavy he was with adorned shiney metal Earth elements about his body. "Come everyone, lets go down and investigate further."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Petal's proclamations caused Deephold to raise his head from the wate elemental. He listened to Haynuus's words, and then chimed in. "I'm sure all orcs are considered eveil, in the lands that border theirs, and yet Hyanuus proves their complexity. I can not imagine that the Grey Lord would have allowed those that served Lord Chaos directly to have remained in this place after Chaos was gone. I do not believe that we should judge a race as a whole for the actions of only part of it. After all, there are dark dswarves and dark elfs that sully the name of Larethian's faithful." However, there was something in the way Deephold said it, or refused to meet Petal's gaze. Clearly, although he was uttering the doctorine of tolerance, and one perhaps he wished he believes, Deephold was still a dwarf. Even he could not hide his own distraste for the Trolins.

- Creatures of the earth - came the voice of the air elemental, havign overheard Petal. There was was distaste in his voice. Two more air elementals that had been quiet came aroudn to Petal, fussign over her and wafting air around her, as if to comfort her. Literlally, trying to lift her physically as if this would lift her spirits emotionally.

"Creatures of fire inside," said the water elemental below, sounding slow and exhausted. Both the air and water elementals had fired the comments towards each other, and it seemed as if they were arguing. Strangely, not as to the evilness of the Trolins, but simply as to whay they were so evil. Of course, transiditonally each elemental race had opposing hatreds and allies.

The air elemental plucked Haynuus from the ledge, and lifted him down to the ground. Another gently guided Ameena down too as she tried to address the water elemental. Deepholsd hsistated, however he was forced to relent and closed his eyes tightly as gravity was defiedfor a brief moment.

"Welcome again, child of nature," said the water elemental to Ameena. It was less arrogant and certain in its voice. Sitting as it was by the lake, it almost seemed as if it were in a reflective mood. "I..apologise for our condition. We have not recovered since last met all met. Air must be our hands and mouth in many things, for a while." There was a tone that conveyed the worry in allowing such flighty-thoughted creatures be in charge. However, for the moment the air elementals seemed to be very focused, due to the crack and the missing butterly.

The water elemental looked to Helm's body. "We do not grant life. We do not know what happes to it when it leaves this plane. We connect the planes of Vi and your plane, life flows throguh us. We do not move it nor create it. That is not our gift nor interest." The water elemental had no expression, so it was hard to tell if it was moved by the small murafu. Still, its laboured words continued not unknindly. "The priest you fought once before, that we have saved you from. You did not ask for your life then, and so you found it. Even then, there was a price to be paid." The elemental gestured to the dark lake and the missing waterfall. "I would hope not a permentant one. Asking for a life back - even if not your own? You would be easier catching the fish in the river with your hands. And there would be a cost to be paid. We have seen this."

Deeephold stirred. "The Grey Lords - all High Lords - can return the gift they have given, if it has not been used to its fullest."

The water elemental turned his head. "Perhaps. The Grey Lord aside, the High Lrods do not walk in our plane now, nor yours. We do not know their ways." The water elemental turned to Ameena again. "The priest you fought. He had the power to return life. He tried to pervert it with the touch of Lolth...." and the water elemental gurgled in anger and pain for a moment, "yet the life you had under was pure." The water elemental pointed to the darkness where the waterfall ahad been. "You must seek the priest's domain once more. Discover his power and see if it can be used as you wish."

Ameena's did recall, from hazy memories and even other memories now, of the altar in the room where Ameena and Haynuus had fought Garax. The altar had seemed foul. However, some memory stirred. She recalled in her mind's eye seeign the altar before, in better light, as a whole group. Of Westian discovering the altar under the altar... the symbol of VI.

And suddenly, Ameena's vision of the future was invaded by an odd white light, and then disappeared as if a dream she could still just about remember. Back i nthe cavern, the walls shook and then were still.

Meanwhile, Petal was still strugglign with what she had seen in her mind's eye. She moved her body as if to free herself from the black strand, and yet it moved as if she were trying to run away from her own arm. She was not ensnared by something. It was as if she an item of clothing on something, and the strand was a thread trailing off of her. Her silent demands are only met with the same repeated comment as before. However, Petal suspects she has the truth of it. Somehow, the figure in her mind, and her escape, are both somehow manifest with this trailing thread. The fact her friend did not wish to speak of it implied her friend was concerned about what she would do if she knew exactly what it was.

Ok, so that's where we're at. Raixel, Petal's escape obviously has some form of 'price', or perhaps condition attached to it would be a better way of putting it. What this condition is, and the consequences of breaking it or embracing it will of course be revealed sooner rather than later. I also hadn't appreciated the effect of Petal's backstory here. I have no problem with it, it seems like a fun new wrinkle, though I'll say something more about what it could generally represent in the OOC thread.

Ameena, basically the water elementall is saying 'go to the priest's domain, surely there's something there, the priest was drawing on something food to do his evil stuff, and your brain going 'hmm, I guess the evil altar might not be evil after all.'

Anyway, Haynuus seems keen to go to the waterfall cave bit, now the Helm question is answered, what's everyone else thinking here?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The Trolin King looked to Westian's authoratiative statement, eyes flicking perhaps to Pullack and Uumack. Pullack had no words, and Uumack seemed entirely convinced of the cleric's words, and so the group made their way down the rocky steps to where Karda's group was.

The King seemed to be happy to allow Westian and the group to go first, while insisting he and his bodyguards went before Pullack's group. Westian was obviously the protection in front, while dignity and a rearguard meant the king was not going ot fall too far short.

Karda's men already blended alarmingly well in to the cave wall due to the pockets of darkness, and their dirtied skins. Karda was standing awaiting the group coming down. He looked around nervously, as did Pullack's group behind, but amazingly nothing was coming towards them. Certainly animals would have given such a large group a wide birth. However, the fact the elementals were not coming over seemed unusual. One could suspect the white crack on the wall was a distraction or even a active threat to the elementals. Karda had a different idea.

"Whre is the water that jumps!" he hissed, pointign to Westian, Aurek and Falkor accusingly. "How have you done this? What trap do you lead us on? The air spins a bright light to blind us, and then water will smash down on us when you take us there! Admit it!"

It was reasonably easy to tell the Trolin leader was nervous. And perhaps he was throwing accusations he did not really believe, in an attempt to have nothing to do with such large and ominous signs of power and change.

And you thought the air and water elementals would be your problem, OB? Nevre underestimate the obstanacy of your new companions!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena listens to the Water as it speaks, and hope rises. Yes, they need to go back to the realm of...that person...but in doing so maybe they can bring Helm back. But maybe they need Westian to help? Then the next step will be to find him. She hopes he'll be able to assist. Maybe he's on his way back to the cave right now!
She looks at those around her, having been too busy interacting with the Elements to notice what they were talking about.
"I hope we can find Westian, then." she says. "Then we can bring Helm back. And then we can deal with this Soulstone. Hey, Deephold...I was wondering - what do you think will happen if we put these pieces together? I mean...do you think they'll join themselves together? How do you think we fix it?"
She reaches into a pouch and pulls out the fragment she collected in Soorec's room, curiously inspecting it and sniffing at it, turning it over in her paws.

OOC - Yeah, Ameena was too busy trying to get Helm sorted out to notice all the scary trolls that might be nearby - hey, murafu depend on their friends to keep alert while they're busy, they don't have to have their full attention all over the place all the time ;).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

“I did nothing to the water, I do not know where it is.” Westian shrugged, feigning nonchalance.

“But at times like this, when the unexpected happens, I am glad that I have the strongest Trolin leaders. Perhaps others would have panicked, and been too fearful to continue!” He laughed at the absurdity of the idea. “But with Karda, Pullack and of course the great king of all the Trolins I am confident that a missing stream will not cause us any worry.” He laughed again good-naturedly as he continued to walk forward, looking around to see if anyone was joining in.

“After all, you were the leaders who were willing to come through this more dangerous route, and thought noting about facing the creatures who dwelled here. Swift-deaths, water and air elementals, creatures of the sea - these would have struck fear in the hearts of most men and Trolins, but to us they are nothing.”
raixel

Post by raixel »

Spoiler
Petal looks at Chaos. "What aren't you telling me about this black thread thing?" she says while she holds the little being's hands tightly. Diplomacy. (1d20+4=13)"If I am to help you, I need to know all of the information. If you dont tell me what you know, I may not be able to help you. So please, plesae help me here. or we might both be lost. I promised you I wouldnt leave you, and a sorcerer cannot break an oath. So I will not leave you, regardless of the consequences. There is no reason to be afraid. If you help me, we will fight this together."
Realizing Deephold is talking to her, Petal opens her eyes and listens to the dwarf. "With open arms, you would go to them, then? Creatures of Chaos they are. Their nature they cannot help, like a demon being evil it can not help." she says doubtfully.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus listens to the conversation between the elementals and Ameena. It looked like Helm was just going to have to wait a little while longer. One thing was in his favour however - being deceased meant that you were also a very patient type of person. "We shall return to the altar where we first met Garax, then... Ameena, there are more important things to do here though." It was then he saw her pull out the soul stone. Better than that, she reminded him that it was the dwarf that carried another piece of it.

"What can we do with these stone pieces? Repair what has been broken? Undo what has now become?" He hoped that maybe the elementals would throw them a line on this problem. Ameena had asked Deephold, but now Haynuus had asked those who may well know the Grey Dude a bit better to be able to fathom an answer.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Deephold had not considered the matter of the Soul stones. "I do not know. The fact they still have light must mean they still have power. One could argue that while the soul is still alive that it is bound to, the sections are not technically apart, even if the additional magic bound to the stone cannot function while it is shattered."

Deephold takes out the stone he possesses, and on a whim places it beside the one Ameena possesses. While there is no magnetic jump when the two parts get close, once they do touch together, they fuse. The crack is still visible, but the two pieces cannot come apart. Deephold looks to Ameena wit a raised bushy eyebrow, and a smile on his lips. "If the parts can be bound, then the soul is still alive. The Grey Lord is alive, somewhere, being kept from knowledge of the workings of his realm. If we bind the parts, the magic should work once more. He would be connected to his realm once more, and surely feel what is happening in it once more."

The water elemental was silent, it was up to the air elemental to speak.

- the grey one would wipe the evil from this place. His anger would be terrible! - the air elementals had a childish glee to the thought of what the Grey Lord would do, apparently.
Spoiler
"I don't want to help you!" said the little figure in her head. "If I help you you'll leave, I don't care what you promise, you'll break your promise!" The figure was bawling sulphur tears. "You never left the mirror! Not really! His power is still wrapped around you, that's all I am, to him - to you really! You'll let me go to break free! You'll be trapped in the mirror forever if you don't!" The figure seemed to realise what he'd said. "No! I won't let you!" And then he disappeared from her minds eye, as if running away sulking.

Roll me an arcana check, please!
Petal had been apart from the conversation and came back to it. Deephold seemed to have been silent at her words, but then snapped. "Do you just all races as one for selfish reasons? Do you want all Trolins to be evil, so that all sylvans are automatically good? So no one judges your actions - harming a friend to hurt an enemy, allowing an innocent man who met a supernatural end to remain dead in this realm or tormented spirits?" Deephold shook his head. "I'm not saying you are wrong. I just want you to be honest. Be true to yourself, embrace your real desires, and then go wipe the Trolins from the face of this place. And all those who ally themselves to those evil creatures."

Petal blinked, and realised that Deephold had ignored her comments with a single disappointed gaze, to focus on the soulstone. The dwarf had said nothing to her. Was the dark priest awake once more, or was this something else that had caused the vision?

Dun dun dun. So, that's the stuff. Also, while Ameena has been pushing for the soul stone to be restored, and I'm not saying that's wrong, everyone from the future will recall tht this is what your characters did two weeks from now. And that turned out badly. Is the two week cushion in timing enough? If not, what do you need to do differently - or do aswell as - for it not to go badly again!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ameena looks eagerly at the Soulstone as the two pieces fuse together, and she returns Deephold's smiling glance with an excited one of her own. But at the same time, she remembers that the group did this before, only things didn't end up the way they'd planned. But then, things were different that time. Deephold wasn't here, for a start. Or Petal. And Westian and Falkor were present.
Rather than letting herself start worrying about her missing friends even more, though, Ameena distracts herself by focusing on the Soulstone. So, they have...two pieces. Now, the others...
"I think we might have trouble getting the rest of this." she says to Deephold, as he's the nearest person at the moment. "I mean...I think I can remember where we got the pieces before, but...we haven't got them yet, obviously, because they're here. I mean, we had to get them again, but...I mean...I still don't know how this is all happening again when it's already happened before, but since the world will be destroyed...or was destroyed, when we failed, I suppose this is a good thing, for now. We had...there was a piece with Soorec, and one with...the person Soorec doesn't...didn't...like. I think the piece you had must be that piece, because I don't think it was either of the others. Because there was one with...someone...he was big...he wore...blue armour, I think. And he looked a bit like..."
Her gaze wanders around and finally rests on Haynuus.
"I think maybe...more-orc. I mean, more of an orc than...so...maybe just an orc-orc, then. And...and there was another piece..."
She settles back onto her haunches, still gripping the semi-complete Soulstone in one paw, and concentrates on thinking, speaking more to herself than to those nearby.
"It was with...the one who became...I mean...he was really in charge, while the...his name was...Dar-somthing. The orc. He was in charge, only he wasn't, because the other one was. The mage who wasn't a mage. Who isn't a mage. He looked like someone else, but then he took over...I mean, they were...both the same person, and the other one didn't know he really had the Soulstone, because the person inside him didn't tell him, and...and...something happened...and...I can't remember. But...when it went wrong...I can't remember what happened. I...we...there was the one...maybe it was..."
She stares into the Soulstone.
"He came back." she says. "But something happened. I think...the two-people-as-one did something. One of them got angry. I think he killed the other one, and...the Grey One because angry, and...and...changed...but...right before he did, he...he did something and we all..."
She rubs her head with her free forepaw, trying to sort through the rather confused muddle her thoughts have become lately. What did they do wrong? What happened? How come it's all happening again? No, wait...maybe that part's not important. Maybe all that matters is that they succeed. But what will happen then? Is there a way they can truly succeed? A way which will stop the world from being destroyed and the Dark One roaming around? What about her friends? Will they all survive? What about those outside this place, who presumably don't know what's happening? Other races. Her own murafu. Herself, even. And Helm...surely they must be able to bring him back. They can't go facing these Blackskull people whilst carrying the body of their dead friend - what if his spirit is close by, and the Blackskull people see it, and catch it? What about those spirits they've already caught? Can they ever be free?
Ameena stars turning the Soulstone over in her paws, looking at the strangely-glowing object while she thinks. There is bound to be more fighting, she supposes. More violence. More death. Whatever they do, there will probably be many more bad things to happen. She hopes, at least, that she can reunite with her remaining friends before then. But it's been so long since Falkor's abrupt disppearance, and they've heard nothing of Westian or Aurek since the group split up in this cave. Such events seem so long ago now, though she knows they aren't, not really. She has made all these strange friends in such a short time, only to be parted from some of them before she even knows them all that well. And now she may not see them again. She may not see anyone again, beyond those standing with her now.
Still, at least she's not alone. Yes, there is that. To be alone would be the worst thing that could happen to her, especially down here.

Post by raixel »

Spoiler
Know Arc (1d20+8=15) Petal sighs at the disappearance of Chaos. "I Will not leave you!" she calls out after his retreating form His words sink in. Was he right? Was she still in the mirror? Were her companions trapped by Chaos too, in heir own mirrors? Or was Chaos just saying that in fear. Although the little being isnt quite as pure Chaos as the High Lord, he stil was an aspect of that being, as much as Petal's influence changed him, hse doesnt doubt he would lie or try and do anything to keep from being destroyed.
Petal snaps back to reality at Deephold's sharp words. "You have the wrong of it, friend dwarf." she says tersly. "Not all races of the forest are good, nor do I wish them to be. My people do not see 'good' and 'evil' as a relative measure of a beings worth, nor as a measure of a reason to take action or not. The Balance is all. Harmony is all. There is no good or evil in the world beyond that which we create in helping or harm others, among sylvans. By the same token, trolins are not nesscarily evil. But they are servants of Chaos. If you can prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt these trolins do not serve Chaos, nor did they have anything to do with the attack on my village, I will stay my hand. If not, the Balance decrees that they must be destroyed."
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus listens to Ameena first. The soulstone would change everything, yet it was only Ameena that could effect that change. Her words were at times confusing, but then having this huge luminescent crack in the wall in front of them was also perplexing. He was assuming that joining the soulstone together would help things, yet from hearing Ameena's monologue he wasn't so sure now.

"Petal, Westian our friend left us to try to ask help from the Trolin king to combat the Blackskulls. I can only see this as a good thing as up there..." He points to the group of beings on a shelf above in the cavern. "... it is they who come to fight this evil. I have no doubts that their allegiance is one of convenience or material gain yet they are capable of carrying out acts of barbarism but I refuse to condemn one set of Trolins for the actions of another." He pauses for a second. "Time and again in my youth, I have had to take the lesser of evils path. I am quite acquainted of working with the wrong people while possessing the right motives at least in my own mind."

"What must be done?" This last comment was for each person standing around Haynuus. The elementals were in trouble and in need of help, Ameena needs the other piece of soulstone, and finally the need to persuade Petal to approach the trolins with them.

OOC - Hmmm, Haynuus assumes that the group of trolins are actually good intentioned here.