TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: TIME'S CHAMPIONS: THE FINALE (STORY THREAD)

Post by ian_scho »

Our half-orc had a lot to do, and very little time.

While on the floor he glanced over to Deephold who was being a little too quiet unfortunately and attempted to divine both his state of health and whether toilet-paper-wrapped-danger was approaching. With two of those mummies lolling around Deephold must surely be in mortal danger - just like the rest of them.

He picked himself up but having orcish blood meant that he never bothere to dust himself down.

Next he moved over to the trolin's king's corpse and picked up his weapon, attempting to return to Westian's side DM-permitting.

OOC - Don't know if you need a perception check.
(08:16:44) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 1d20 and gets 15.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nope, no Dm permitting this time, you are stuck at the King's corpse for now! Westian, that leaves it up to you if you move to help Aurek be shielded (and even help attack) or if you stay with the group Haynuus and the Trolins

Passin regarded Ameena oddly, as both her fast speech and concepts were difficult to understand for the dazed and non-murafu soldier. Still, it was clear he understood enough. Talk of the Dark One seemed to make him grip his pocket once, and he nodded slowly. "Show me how," he said, cautiously crouching as there was fightign on the opposite side of the altar.

Ok Ameena, you have help. Roll what you wanna roll, and risk what you wanna risk.

Aurek moved faster than the buffetted and distracted Garax, rushing to reach Dargat's side first and strike the creature while he was down. Aurek only partially noted that the orc's muscular chest and arms skin seemed to be riddled with strange black and brown tattooes of screaming faces, intent as he was at driving the blade defiantly down in to Dargat's chest to end the orc while the creature was helpless.

Westian was meanwhile getting Guree's attention, pulling the Trolin back from chargign at Dargat herself with the offer of another potion. Luckily it was only after he threw the item that a flash of what Aurek was seeing crashed in to Westian's mind.

Some combinaiton of Westian's studies, long forgotten, triggered his newly hightened senses. He recognised what the toattoos really were, and suddenly appreciated why Dargat - loyal to Gholst's cause - was also so afraid of Gholst attempting possession. Why he would abandon his own armour to take on the ancient famous relics of the Grey Lord's own Tazan armour, a relic taken back from the Cult of Death.

Dargat had taken the souls, as all true blackskulls had, literally owning those they had killed and fueling their powers fro mthe evil of their actions. However, Dargat had not done anything as simple as bind those souls to his armour. He had bound those souls to himself. Dargat could cast aside his own blacdkskull armour, and also needed the protection of the Tazan armour, because he was the perfect conduit of the spirits. It seemed once he realised Dolo's powers and evil influence, he realsied he was not safe from Gholst's own desperate whims nor Dolo's potential powers.

Even as Aurek struck, Dargat shifted on the ground, trying ot grab the blade. It was deflected but still bit deep in to the orc's shoulder. All the faces around that area, all the tattoos, suddenly, silently shifted in to screaming faces as Dargat himself yelled in orcish and pulled up on the sword. He did not actually stand up, instead releasing his grasp to crush Aurek's arm. Aurek could feel bones crack under the orc's powerful strength - strength he could only resist fro mthe magic potion Haynuus had gifted him. And Aurek could see Dargat's angry, snarling face reflected in the twisting tattoos that also became angry.

Garax shifted his movement to come behind Aurek. Luckily, it seemed that Garx had genuine fear for the powerful orc, and his sword blows were desperate and not planned. Some bounced off Aurek's armour, once one slicing through a weakened set of links to bit in to Aurek's flesh. It was only when Garax spoke that the reason for his distraction was perhaps clearer.

"The traitor's still alive!" he yelled to Dargat, apparently spotting Passin across the altar's surface.

Well, the gods punished me for laughing at Dargat's first nat 20 by giving me crap. Once 'decent' roll over six attacks! Dargat made an improved strike from the ground, with power attack boost, so 13 hit poitns damage. Garx really needed to recver his own weapon to start being a bad ass, so Aurek moving forward has mean Garax is only doing 6 damage with his single sword blow. Lucky gamble Aurek, but you are also in harm's way! Still, Dargat can only make unarmed strikes from the ground unless he wants to risk an AoO and can't move anywhere, and I'm playing it that your actions mean Dargat is not doing any defensive manoevers. His AC is in the toilet right now. So if you stay the course you can probably kill him, but at the risk of Garax lucking enough damage to take you down.

Meanwhile, Guree Guree applied the healing potion to Uumack. The potion was of low mana, and wereit anyone other than Westian it might have only held off death, while not recoverign the brave warrior. Instead, Westian's studies and arethian's grace has always blesssed Westian's healing endeavours, as if to reward the cleric when the man sought to selflessly serve.

Uumach still looked in a bad way, and Guree was torn beween staying with her barely conscious trolin companion, or ending the one that had dared strike her leader down twice.

"Help him!" she demanded of Haynuus as Haynuus moved across. Haynuus however was distracted, looking to the King's battleblade, and also trying to determine what was happening with the other cleric of the group. Haynuus had odd tingles as the strange senses of the PAth of Light - in a lesser way - kicked in for him. He could feel Deephold's mind still, knew the cleric was down but not out. Yet it was obvious that there were ragged shapes over him. It did not look good...

And then Haynuus realised he could feel the minds of his other friends quite easily when he thought on Deephold.

Sudden;y there was an explosion of fire beside Deephold. Haynuus could even see the pixie even as he realised her mind was there. He also knew Falkor and Helm were close, and could make out those figures in the dark. Falkor appeared to be urging Helm to move forwards, even as Falkor too let forth a fireball himself.

The mummies no longer had the blessigns of Lolth, and the fire burned fiercy on their now drying bandages. The mummy Aurek had severly wounded lit up in flames anddisolved in to ash. The one Petal struck did not fall, but its lopping gait showed it was not long for this world, finally.

Awww, Deephold was going to be ok after all. Well, maybe. He's not dead and has support now, so he should be fine. It's really Aurek that's in a bad place. Well, bad if my dice know what's good for them and start rolling decet rolls, dammit!

Westian, let me know wich direction you will be running in, and then obviously everyone now has a fresh set of actions. Things are coming to a head now...I can feel it... (that and I know what's happening with the other NPCs on the map...)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"There's a little...opening, in the centre of the altar." explains Ameena, quickly. "Like...a lid. But I wasn't strong enough to open it. I thought maybe you could help...? I'll show you..."
Ameena pokes her head above the altar, seeing Garax not far off and, unfortuntaely, apparently having noticed Passin. At least, he's looking in that direction when he yells about a "traitor". Ameena can't immediately recall what that word means but knows it's something bad.
Well, this is it. The predators are striking, her friends, her family are under threat. Fast predators, she knows. Strong ones. So she'll do what any other murafu would bring themselves to do at this point.
"Can you try to open it?" she asks. "It's right in the middle. I'll try and help you in a moment..."
So saying, Ameena climbs back onto the altar, takes a look at what's happening, then, still keeping her body low, scrambles across, drawing out her knife and suddenly plunging it toward the prone orc as he claws at Aurek.

OOC - Because I can flank Dargat from here but not Garax ;). I expect the bastard will whack me one (or two, or three...), but I might as well "take advantage of the fact that Dargat is busy" (ie flank the bastard) than attempt to do a maximum of 3hp damage to the unflanked Garax :P. Anyway, maybe he'll shit himself when he sees me pop up again...that will probably make him even more angry but meh, I'll risk it. I've got an epic 14/26hp left and no healing potions, after all :P. And hopefully I described well enough to Passin the position of the hatch thingy - he said he had very little strength but I expect he's got more than a little murafu, narratively speaking anyway ;).
Alrighty then, so here comes the business - let's hope I hit that Orcish twat and free up Aurek to knock what's left of the shit out of Garax ;). Attack roll = 16 (9+2)...arrgh...but his armour's fucked so maybe that's still a hit :D. Damage = 9 (1+1+2+2=4). Oh yay for crappy rolls once again :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, don't underestimate getting him angry. Calm and arrogant he can smack everyone around him with full BAB, intelligently use his defensive feats, etc. Angry he's gunna probably hit someone hard but miss everyone else, and be very vulnerable. Attacking from prone with no armour and not being defensive? Dexterity aside he's worse than you guys right now! Certainly the rogue won't hve a better chance for a sneak attack! And yeah, Passin's lack of strength might be more narrative than mechanical :) Still, losing a helper might make things take longer.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Aurek screamed out as Dargat's claws bit into him. "I'm going to kill you Dargat! You're going to die here, and there's nothing you can do about it!" he further taunted the fallen orc.

"Your time has come! DIE!" he yelled as he stabbed into brute... twice.

(22:15:01) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 2d20 and gets 19,19
Double critical! F**king w00t!
(22:15:47) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 2d8 and gets 6,8
Please tell me that's enough to kill this bastard!

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Aurek's ass is on the line. Do you want Haynuus to (attempt to) attack Dargat or Garax LordB'? I'll post actions in 4 hours time.
Thanks for the help Ameena!

A wave of sheer joy swept over Haynuus as he realised that Deephold was not alone, and his allies were forming around the diminuitive figure. Maybe, just maybe they could all get through this. He had not been abandoned after all!...

And then he saw the paladin frenzied from something he had seen from Dargat. He didn't know what it was but he'd heard of giants brought down by angry goblins, and the paladin of the light was most upset.

"Yay!!"
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Mind you Haynuus has the Cleave ability...
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

OOC: I'd recommend aiming for Garax. And try to keep out of Dargat's reach (if he survives my smacks to the face).

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian grabbed the flask that Haynuus had set down earlier as he followed behind his paladin ally. Casting UM VI, he felt the weariness of over-casting. The familiar feeling of mana that constantly surrounded him was feeling more and more faint, and a mental tiredness was threatening to overcome him.

Still he knew that a supreme effort was needed from everybody if they were to prevail. Seeing Aurek and, surprisingly, Ameena strike out at the orc he felt that victory was painfully close. Yet without pushing this advantage it would all be for nought.

“Well done people! Keep pushing! Larethain will bless whoever brings these creatures down!”

Westian will stand strategically close to Aurek and Haynuus. Got an UM VI potion for the next person who falls, but if Haynuus wants to grab it on the way past he can. Anyone else is welcome too it too, but everyone else is locked in combat!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

OOC: I might (read: "more than likely than not") be needing that potion soon :(

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can neither confirm nor deny rumours that I have rolled my dice already for key parts and know the answere to that question. Just waiting for Haynuus to post, throw everything to pot, have to rework everything, and then I will post the next exciting section! Well, I hope they are exciting! :p

Edit: As Haynuus is fictional, I will more than happily await Ian's contributions instead!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

The orc was being assaulted from two sides, and Haynuus needed to occupy the human warrior with his own imagination... It was then he realised that he was holding resembled a Macuahuitl which was one of his favourite-non-pronounceable weapons. A classic trolin weapon that was both rudimentary but filled with heaps of love and carnage. Indeed, upon closer inspection Haynuus was surprised to find that it has fake onyx embedded in it, possibly filled with acid (another 'do or die' weapon). Yippie!

Haynuus charged Garax (1d20+11=12, 1d8=7, 1d10=1), making a mental note not to splash everyone with either his acid nor his saliva. The half-orc chose to stand besides both Garax and the orc, thereby offering himself as yet another squishy target for the DM to choose from!

OOC - I've made up the weapon type, but what dmg does it do?! I've rolled a d8 & a d10 just in case but a natural one... Also, I think i've forgotten a charge bonus?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Noooooooooooooooo! Crit miss! That sucks :( Lol, the charge bonus would +2 though you would have taken a -2AC penaty unti lthe start of your next turn. However, for a charge even allies count as an obstruction, and Guree/Uumack are just in the damn way!

Yeah, I'd kinda fluctated between the King's favourite weapon as being a bladed club I believe (in his hall) to the sword he was waving around. I like the Macuahuitl idea. You're confusing the onyx thign with Westian's blade, or were you just trying to sneak in the fuinctionality to your own? :p

I imagined the King's sword as a bastard sword (reimagined Trlin style, hence why I love your option). With a bastard sword, using it one handed for 1d8 damage is fine. You can also use it as a two handed weapon for 1d10 damage, though without training you'd take a -4 attack roll penalty. Which seems crappy, until you recall your power attack damage bonus gets applied twice for a two handed weapon, so it might be a gamble you want to take at some point... especially if you can gain some attack bonuses from elsewhere...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Passin was still bewildered and stern faced, however Ameena could not devcote too much attention to the matter now. She moved as if on instinct, though perhaps with their joint awareness the group would realise she now felt that they were more like family.

Ameena's knife was small, but the orc was vulnerable and she was nimble enough to be able to strike the hideous creature's side as it flailed against Aurek. Ameena's blow was partially put off when she realised that two black faces drawn on the orc's torso - it was a strange custom non-furred creatures seemed to do - animated and screamed at her!

Dargat's rage had been directed at the defiant paladin, hopwever this new pain drew his attention. Seeing nothing but a tiny, insignificant rodent daring to strike him, while he was lying on the floor, armour shattered by a half-breed, a paladin of another faith wriggling free, was too much to bear. Dargat roared and the tattoos visible made pained faces, shrieking themselves silently. Dargat#s hand grasped Ameena around her tiny neck. Aurek knew from the pain in his wrist how powerful that grip was, a grip that could snap a neck.

It was the last thing Dargat would try to do, the last mistake he would ever make.

Aurek struck directly down in to Dargat's black heart, nothing impeding the blow. Still the orc started to squeeze Ameena's throat, turning his deep red eyes on Aurek as if in his pained arrogance the orc could simply kill the paladin with a look. Aurek was undetered and unafraid, and focused all his new strength and learned skills in to one more powerful strike.

This time, Dargat's grip loosened. Thuis time, Dargat's black heart, fueled by darkness and magic as it was, strong as it was from his orc heritage, gave out. Dargat's red eyes disappeared as they rolled in to the back of his skull, just as his blood spread on the floor beneath him. The tatoos still remained, frozen in their strange shriek.

Dargat was dead.

Woohoo! Yelling defiance kept him off balance narratively, and rolling some crits with .AS I said at the start of this fight, rather than just giving max damage, I'd add damage too. Combined wiht Ameena's assist, I'm not quibbling over one or two hit points here., You guys deserve the kill, your actions demand it, and the double 19s are kida screaming it too! WELL DONE GUYS!

Still, no time to rest on your laurels. At least, no good type of 'rest'...

Aurek's focus had been on the orc before him, and Garax had recovered from the shock of seeing Passin to focus once more upon the paladin. methodically he started to strike the paladin, certain to kill the main with his deliberate stabs. However, the scenes became blue tinged as Westian rushed forwards. The sword - actually Passin's - sparked and slowed, and Garax's vengeful assault was halted. Seeing his comrade and sponsor being murdered without the ability to stop his foe caused, Garax screamed a stream of words in a forgein language, and rushed headlong in to the glowing circle of protection. Larethian's blessing tried to block such an evil man, and blue sparks played aroudn the man's beard and strange teeth. It only made the wildman look more inhuman, his deep green armour illuminated as if magical, the hidden embossing of the souls standing out in hideous shadow and highlight.

Westian was caught surprised. He had rushed as fast as possible out of sight of Garx, passing by Guree and Uumack, ensuring both were healthy, and passing looks with Haynuus. He was suddenly in the front rank again, facing down a skilled madman. Still, at least he knew his friends were safe, knew many of them were by his side....

Uh-oh, Aurek and Westian are very liekly to be the focus of Garax's wrath. Is this a good or a bad thing? LB, you take 18 damage from a single power attack, and thatnk Westian for his spell shield assist or else it would have been a second hit of similar value!

Obviosuly, a few narrative liberaties about Dargat's impending punch at Ameena bieng a grab instead, and the simultaneous nature of the weapon attacks. So sue me, it's an exciting end of the game fight and these are sme cool moves and rolls going down! :D

Haynuus was able to see the two diminuative mages move to flank the remaining mummy, while Helm seemed to be fussing over Deephold. However, the half-orc did not have the time to watch the happy ending of that combat, for his friends needed him. He saw that Guree was still fussing over Uumack. Uumack was denying the need for further healing despite his not rising up. Guree was suddenly hesitant to take Westian's new potion, perhaps realising the earnest combat that was occuring.

Haynuus found it hard to charge around the two Trolins, and the King's sword was a strange device that made for a few false starts in holdign and wielding. By the time he made his feet go in the correct directions and lifted his blade up to attack, it was too late - in good ways, that Aurek had done his berzerker thing on Dargat, but also in bad ways - that Westian and Aurek were in danger form the armoured and now blue shielded Garax. Haynuus was caught wrong footed by the madnan's ferocious speed, and had to refocus his next attack.

Aww, with a crit 1 miss sadly you did manage to slot in to the end there. Still, that puts Haynuus in a powerful position along with Aurek to unleash some fury next turn!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - Oh cool, so I didn't actually take damage from that attempted strangling from Dargat? Nice, and we finished off the fucker too :D. Incidentally, as a minor point of reference, the terms "friend" and "family" are used pretty much interchangeably as far as murafu are concerned, since that's how they view each other so this passes on to their views of other, non-hostile species too ;).

BIC - Seeing that her strike has inflicted some kind of damage, Ameena is about to back away when one of Dargat's horrible great hands reaches out and grabs her. However, the crushing grip doesn't last long before it loosens, and suddenly the hand is gone from around her throat. Gasping a little, she backs away, stuffs the knife back through her belt, and returns to the centre of the altar to assist Passin.
"I had...I had to help my friends." she says quickly, still getting her breath back. "Predators...I mean...horrible things...attacking. Have to help friends. So now I'm helping you, as you're helping me."
She attempts to work with Passin to then open the hatch.

OOC - Do I make another Strength check, then? I can't remember the Assist rules...well, I know you get a +2 to the skill check in 4th edition if someone helps you (don't think they have to roll anything though can't remember). But we're both helping each other. Um. I'll just make a straight Strength check, and if I need to roll something else instead then just use the roll result for that instead. Or can I assist Passin, if his Strength is greater? That's what I'll do...if I can? Add +2 to his Str roll to try and open the thing? In case I do need to roll anything, to save slowing stuff down I'll just make a d20 roll anyway and you can use it if it turns out I needed to :). So...15 :).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - Ahh! It was Westian's weapon with the onyx effect. I didn't read that right. Apologies.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Now, I've just done some maths... is it just me, or is Aurek on 19hp now? Damn, that sucks :(
I think I'm gonna have to retreat soon, to drink that potion of mine

Finally! He's dead! happily thought Aurek, watching the hideous Dargat finally drop. The joy only lasted moments though... Garax cutting in like that was one hell of a distraction! The paladin turned to his new foe, and channelled some of his berserk energies into killing him. "I've killed your leader! Do you have something to say about it?" he challenged Garax, adding to the warrior's anger.

(16:14:12) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 2d20 and gets 20,19
What's that? Another double critical! Holy shit, the chat dice REALLY love me! But, I'll bet that it'll go to shit soon :P
(16:14:41) Lord Chaos Bot: Lord_BoNes rolls 2d8 and gets 3,8
And a max damage roll too... Damn I love these dice, and apparently they love me back.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus swung the club/sword and realised that he was not as familiar with stone age weapons as he had imagined. It was then he remembered watching other orcs training with them. They didn't just swing them and hope to make contact as you would do with a sword or axe. The edges of his weapon were serrated. A jagged edge used for effectively sawing the victim in two! By both swinging and simultaneously bringing the weapon down or away the long length of the heavy weapon was used as a way of cutting down the opponent.

With Garax so obviously occupied Haynuus attempted the risky approach and use it with two hands to the detriment of manueverability. He lashed out at the human fighter who was already with his back to him.

OOC - I'll roll the dice when I get back home. Muah ha ha haha hahhh!

Edit - double post! Oh well. He'll hit him was his basic action anyway :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian whispered a prayer to Larethian to stop Garax availing of his protection. It was not right that someone so evil should benefit from something so holy.

He glanced from side to side, trying to decide what his next move should be. The group was now more spread out – natural in the heat of battle, but making it difficult to shield everyone all the same. He could move closer to Haynuus, but that would mean abandoning Aurek and blocking a space for the Trolins to move forward. So, deciding that staying put was the best course of action for now, he shouted out to the human fighter.

“The cult of death falls with you, Garax. Larethian be praised!” He swung his staff wildly towards the huge form, hoping if nothing else to draw attention away from the unprotected half-orc.

Attack on Garax was 7 + 7, which I assume is a miss!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@LB: Yeah, I sort of been pounding you guys (I think Westian is the best looking right now, good compensation for him having to be the second rank guy until now!) It's almost like you've been facing powerful foes and only keeping them at bay by tactics/RP/story bits paying off!

Ran out of time to update at lunchtime (wanna end it on a cliffhanger and catch OB before the weekend) but will wait and let Ian roll his own dice too, which is always better :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

The paladin was practically insane with fervour. He really didn't like these death worshipping cultist! Our half-orc had a change of heart at the very last moment and attempted to stun the human (1d20+7=9, 1d8+4=11, 1d20+2=6, 1d8+4=6) with a serrated sword - tricky at best! His attempt nearly knocked one of his own kneecaps off.

"Save Deephold" pleaded Haynuus to the never-ending-pot-making-cleric.

OOC - Dice roll was for a one handed full attack, -4 to do non-leathal.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aurek's righteous zeal met Garax's fury, and the two came to a set of savage blows. Aurek was denied the satisfaction of removing Garax's head, but Garx's armour wept blood and the dark-armoured fighter fell back a step, breathign hard. It took Aurek a moment to realise that his movements were sluggish, and there was a pain in his side where Garax's sword had bitten deep into his enchatnted mail, drawing red blood in to the whitened links.

Nice dice there. Maximum damage plus a bonus for you. However, he hit with one of his own two blows, a crit himself (nat 19). I decided your fury would curb his, so luckily no power attack bonus on that However, that's still 10 hit points you've lost. That retreating is sounding like an idea! You can probably attack and then five foot step next turn, if Westian agrees to five foot step back himself in order to potion you up. One of you will need to use a move action to give/administer the healing potion, but I don't mind which one of you it ends up being. So Aurek could full round attack and still get some healing. Of course, that also leaves Haynuus as prime target with no chance of a shield (I'm not going to be nice this time and point out Haynuus could have sidestrepped in to Westian's shield this turn :p)

Westian bellows his own challenge, while channeling his energies to separating the evil Garax from the cleric's protection. However, it seemed that what Aurek's blows had started, Westian's words finished. The berzerk Garax was gone, and the blue glow fading from him also seemed to kill his immediate anger.The dead eyed man that had surrendered was back, except it was now obvious the source iof Garax's strength, the reason he had been chosen by Dargat and Gholst. His lack of true fire,his lack of ability to be a leader was not a weakness, it was a strenth. Even when all else seemed blackest, Garax would stand for no other reason than to stand. Despite his bleeding wounds and shaking hand he stood tall, and he sneered at Westian's words. even Dargat's death had not robbed him of his faith. The man that had knelt down confident in Dargat now stood tall confident in Gholst.

"The cult is eternal. GHOLST BE PRAISED!" Garax yelled, batting aside Westian's staff and forcing the cleric to duck . And then there was a shining, burning light...

Haynuus stood outside the religeous fervour of both sides. It seemed that his two friends were lost in their sheer determination to kill Garax in Larethian's name. The half-orc decided to show mercy, as it seemed for good or ill thsi would soon be over. Either he should start living as he wished to continuing living now, or his last acts should not be one that would offend whatever High Lord non-combatative ex-fighters hopeful farmers prayed to. He doubted a bloody blade would impress them.

Howwever, either Larethian himself was offended by Haynuus's actions, or Garax's faith was its own shield. Or perhaps simply complex trolin weapons were best left to the Trolins. Haynuus's swings at Garax's head seemed to miss as if the air were thick and heavy.

"We're alright!" came Deephold's voice at Haynuus's pleading.

"Save Uumack!" came Guree's cry, the Trolin clearly torn between leaving Uumack almost helpless and assaulting the blackskull. Deephold and Falkor's voices seemed to indicate to Guree that help was on the way. Or perhaps the indication was to all the group.

Haynuus could not quite check on the warrior before him, nor his friends behind him, before there was an explosion of fiery light in front of him. Was this what Deephold called help?

Ameena had scurried back on to the altar, her mind focusing again on only one thing. The blood she had left on the floor, the blood on her fur, and the screams and yells of friends and enemies were in the background compared to helping the person who was helping her.

Passin seemed to be struggling, although he had managed to start easing the lid out. Ameena was able to get her smaller hands in to the opening. Despite her lack of strength, she could still use her small size and rattish physique to quickly wqork the stone upwards in small motions. It allowed Passin to get his hand, finally, under the slab and lift it. For a moment the eight-poiinted shape of it could be seen, before a bright light flared. Passin yelled, staggering backwards and dropping the stone cap and shielding her eyes, while Ameena herself was blinded by the whiteness of it...

The flare fadeed in everyone's eyes, all except Aurek had been facing it, and Aurek's face had caught the reflection of the polished armour of his opponent. However, that Ameena's actions had caused the flare was no longer an issue. What was the issue was that her actions seemed to have timed themselves with something else. A second white light flared at the corner of the dias.

Gholst's gaze was drawn to the conflict.

The warlord stood taller than Ameena had seen him a moment before. The flames coming from his armour now seemed to constantly surround him burnign brighter and flaring, illuminating the scene. If Theron's spell of sight faded, it would probably be a sure bet that Gholst would still be visible, his focus now drawn to the material plane now his ethereal distractions were all but defeated. He seemed to have only two ghosts aroudn him now, barely formed shapes that had once been proud adventurers and champions trapped in the deep recesses of the dungeon.

His sword point speared one. He drew his blade up swiftly, and that formless shape ripped apart as if a cloud. A cloud that billowed and joined with the chaos of flame at Gholst's feet. The second ghost, the formless shape seemed to have youthful fears as if a young man, was help in Gholst's powerful grasp. As if striking a match, Gholst drew his battleblade across the neck of the ghost. His sword flared with white tongues of fire even as the two parts of the ghost he had a moment before help fell away, drawn and churned in to Gholst's inferno.

Gholst drew his gaze quickly across the scene before him Across Passin betraying him. Across Ameena huddled over the opening of the soulstone's supposed hidden site, blood from his chosen champion still upon her. Across Westian, cleric of Larethian, standing as if proudly with the group he had led here. Across Aurek, whose blade had bit deep in to Gholst's two chosen champions, killing one already. Across Dargat, lying sad and dead and unacknowledged by his enemies. Across Garax, his lord's name comign form his mouth even now. Across Haynuus, the half-breed, yet standing tall despite all the foes he had faced while Dargat was dead.

Gholst drew himself up taller, if that was possible, his rage sucking in the flames around. Yet the bellow of his challenge never came. Instead, he said somethign so softly no ear heard it. And yet, quivering in the depths of each person present, they head the simple phrase.

You. Will. All. Die.

"Gholst! Your evil is at an-" started Theron, finally standing up. However, while the archmage spoke a challenge and started his spell, Gholst acted without hesitation. The warrior's battleblade left his hand without Gholst taking his eyes away from the group before him. It ignotied in fire, spinning end over end in the direction of Theron. Theron flinched sideways, not realising until too late that the blade was not meant for him.

Karnadee caught the point of the blade, obscenely large compared to her slender frame, directly on her shoulderwhere it then tore in to her chest. Flames exploded around the wound and she fell backwards, still visible in the second sphere of sight. She screamed as the flames erupted around her. "NO!" screamed Theron, all else forgotten as he ran helplessly and ineffectually towards his sister's ghost.

Gholst smiled darkly and arrogantly, not even looking to see what Theron would do. Either knowing or not caring. He pointed towards the body of his dead chamopion, Dargat, and his face twisted in to a mask of anger.

Once more, there were no words. Instead, Gholst's body distorted and spun around his finger. And then the powerful warrior disappeared.

And then, Dargat's body began to twitch.

And then your Dm put an end to this very long update, and hopefully left all you guys determiend and yet scared for the final section of this encounter. Gholst had entered the fight. In a way you might never have expected! The soulstone parts are loose! Theron is free to assault Gholst, except for that pesky dying dead sister!

By this time next week, what will have happened? What will you guys have managed to pull off? Who willstill be standiing? I'm excited to find out! Feel freeto plan stuff OOC this weekend, and join me next Monday for the (I hope) thrilling conclusion of this game!

DUN DUN DUN!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

"Theron! You have to let Karnadee go!" yells Ameena in the direction of the robed human. "And then it won't hurt any more! It'll be alright!"
Then she reaches into a belt pouch, pulling free the wand she took from the chest in the room of...the person whose name it might be safe to think about for now but probably best not to take the chance, just in case...
She stands upright over the hole in the altar. No time to fiddle around trying to extricate this glowing stone. Time only to act quickly, and hope it all works.
"Um...I think you should probably step back a little...and maybe mind your eyes..." suggests Ameena to Passin, but quietly so that hopefully only he can hear - she doesn't like what it seems Gholst is doing and isn't sure whether he can hear her. On the good side of things, she supposes, at least he's not possessing Theron this time.
Then she holds the wand over the hole in the altar, averts her gaze and narrows her eyes a little so that she isn't looking directly at the opening and probably risking being dazzled again by the bright light. Finally, she attempts to use the magic of the wand to summon the fragment out of the altar, ready to catch it if it should come flying out quickly.

OOC - Firstly, a Stealth for trying to speak quietly to Passin - he's the only friendly person really close to her right now and as mentioned IC, she doesnt' want to risk Gholst hearing. So that's...24 (9+15)...lol - I don't think any of my recent Stealth rolls have hit double figures on the die, yet I end up with a respectable total due to my epic bonus. Ahh, Rogues are so cool :D. And then...erm...you mentioned in Skype last week that you were using Appraise as the "use a magic item" skill, for some reason? And you've mentioned previously that Ameena will know how to use the wand. Umm...I'll roll you an Appraise anyway, and then if it's needed feel free to use it ;). So, Appraise = 8 (4+4)...damn. I hope you don't need that, lol. Oh, and is there any way to tell how many charges the wand has remaining I don't anticipate needing many more, but just in case...
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Haynuus tossed Guree the fruit from his back-pack to aid Uumack. "It is of magick qualities and will help." he quickly explained. "Uumack deserves it more than me." (Assuming he doesn't get hit by Garax for doing that action. But he'll only attack once now.).

He returned his attention to Garax. His paladin friend was only just surviving the encounter yet Haynuus was almost regretful to finally try to use his weapon more effectively... But he did. (1d20+11=15, 1d8+4=6) They had bigger problems and Haynuus wanted a proper weapon back in his hands again!

OOC - Is Gholst's sword present on the physical plane? Can Haynuus see it? If it is...
Before returning his attention to Garax, or the now convulsing orc he shouted across to the human thief. "Quick Helm! Grab the sword and secrete it so that it cannot be used."
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

@Ameena: Appraise in 3.5 is just for the value, but I kept the name and added it and the 'use magical device' together so you can both guess the worth and 'worth' and even the usage of things. Obviously, in Dm that's usually something magical. This won't be a pass/fail (just liek the lid) it will be a case of timing. So if you wish to keep trying to lift the item, and also try to do otherthigns to help/protect yourself while doing it, it will either slowly or quickly lead to a success.

@Ian: Gholst's sword is over in the other side of the room by Theron and Karnadee. It's unlikely to be physical in that way, but obviously Helm can still go across and, in the chaos, try to see if there is some way to have it go. The fact Karnadee is burnign might mean Theron isn't too helpful nor caring though! :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

OOC - I'm thinking that it's the weapon Dargat was using that might be of a bigger threat, since it'll still be right by his body and so Gholst can pick it up and use it when he's done possessing Dargat's body. Of course, he might not use it - he might channel his spirit powers through the body (possibly frying it in the process but if he finishes us off in doing so I don't think he'll much care ;)) and burninate everyone. But, you know, nice to give him less possible ways of ganking us ;). As for my current wand trick, I'm probably just gonna try and concentrate on doing it as quickly as possible. Maybe Passin will decide to be helpful and protect me, or grab the Soulstone fragment as soon as it comes within reach so that I don't have to try doing so whilst levitating it with the wand. So does this mean I don't need to roll when using it, or just that a roll will help speed things up when otherwise there is a default, much slower speed at which I manage to complete the task?
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Aurek felt very weakened in his current state, and the state of affairs around him seemed to be worsening. He decided that he needed to regain some of his lost vitality. (5ft step to the West, and drink the VI potion I have in my inventory)

"Westian, I need another of these potions." said the paladin to the cleric.

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Westian stepped back involuntarily at the sight of Dargat's sudden movement. Luckily he ended up beside Aurek as the paladin looked for healing. Realising that this was something he could deal with he handed his freshly prepared flask over to Aurek, taking back the other empty flask in return.

Analysing the situation it was clear Garax was still a threat, and it seemed Dargat was about to join him in some form or another. “People, stay close to me” he shouted out loud enough for Deephold and the others to hear him. “Together we can defeat these monsters. They are falling one-by-one.”

I don’t know if giving and receiving flasks counts as a main action – if not I will fill the empty flask from Aurek with an UM VI.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There was no indication that Theron heard what Ameena said, after all the flames around Karnadee were spectacular, and Theron was clearly focused on them. Helm had apparently heard Haynuus though, and started to run nervously towards the legendary archmage. Deephold and Falkor moved to try and support their friends against Garax and whatever dangers Gholst posed, while Petal moved over to the altar to see what Ameena and Passin were doing. "Doing, what are you?" asked Petal, raising her hands in a ward against Passin, "with this man too, what will you accomplish?" her eyes were narrowed in mistrust, unsurprisingly as Petal's white dress was still reddened by her own blood, healed only by Westian's quick and hasty actions. Petal still seemed pale and shaky, not comign too lose to the altar and paying more attention to the blackskull than the murafu. Passin ,for his part, noted Ameena fiddling with the wand and seemed worried, just as worried as with the pixie moving clos. After all, it was only a moment before they had been blinded by tampering with the place.

"What are you doing?" demanded Passin, moving back a step, "Call your creature off, I...I did not mean to hurt her before!"

Ameena herself a strange lethargy from the wand. She was not sure what she was supposed to do with it, she could see nothing useful writen upon it that she herself could understand. This was where Falkor should come in, using it or telling her how to use it. She tried to recall her other life, where she was sure she had used this or seen it used. However, she could see nothing but white light, now, as if an after-memory of the soulstone being revealed. Even the echoes of the path of truth's memories were fading, except for Helm's panicking thoughts still resounding in her mind when shethought upon them.

Don't start typing yet, because, well.... see below first. Edit: LMFAO, nm! I rolled the red die, and you know what that means...nat 1! Remember when it used to be my favourite die? :( Still read below, but you aren't in the dire straights I thought you might be...

Haynuus quickly threw a fruit at Guree and UUmack to help his Trolin protector get back in to the fight. Garax was apparently wishign to make a move of his own, though. At soon as Haynuus turned, Garax stabbed Haynuus brutally with the sword in a wild stab that bit and bent a part of the banded mail out of the way. The sword was left where it struck, throwing off Haynuus's own wild covering swing. For Garax was moving to recover his won weapon, dropped by Dargat. Garax span and twisted the weapon in his hands as he recovered it, obvious satisfaction and relief as he gripped the weapon of his own mysterious people.

Sorry, Garax does indeed make an AoO, and sadly scored a crit 19. So 10 hit points damage :( However, take a free swing as revenge, for Garax will draw an AoO from you for grabbing his old weapon, Plus that leaves Golst without one for the time being...maybe... depends if the ghostly one can be summoned, and Helm hides it somehow!

The sight of Dargat's twitching made expressions flit across the man's exotic features. Dark eyebrows creased and a frown was visible behind his thick, trimmed beard. However, his eyes showed his determination and zeal. Gholst was still alive, and now part of the fight. Dargat, though dead, would still be able to serve. No matter how it felt, Garax stood firm, taking a step in front of Dargat's form to protect Gholst from the rightenous of Larethian while his master stood.

Garax waved his strange bladed weapon at Aurek in warning, although could not catch Aurek with it while the paladin was being defensive. Garax's eyes smoldered though, clearly the paladin was marked for unholy revenge from Garax for the death of Dargat. Westian and Aurek had been able to confer unmolested, Westian quickly healing Aurek's wounds as well as he could, however it seemed that what little Westian could offer would have to be enough.

Suddenlly, the Trolins moved forwards again. Uumack stood in front of the wounded Haynuus defensively, swinging at Garax and the moving Dargat, but hitting neither. Guree made straight for Garax, as if to protect Uumack from the tall warrior. Guree's needle knife struck true, sliding in to the parting of the warrior's armour and causing the man to grunt in pain.

As the fighters moved around in a dance, the centre of that attention - Dargat's form - spasmed again. The eyes opened, black pools with white fire escaping from them. The tattoos once more became animated, perhaps because animated mnore than they had been before. The etching screamed, and fire ethereal white fire poured from their eyes and mouth. Other faces seemed to rise and fall against Dargat's naked skin where it was visible, as if other souls were trapped, pressing to get out. Dargat stood, jerkily, to a stand and looked around. One further face seemed to be rtying to push out of Dargat's skin, it was Ghollst's own face, causing Dargat's loose-jawed face to distort and take on animation. The half-orc half-human visige, when it swam in to view, was disturbingly like Haynuus's to the untrained eye.

Dargat stood and laughed, screams underlyign the arrogant, mocking and human laughing booming at an orcish volume form a chest that had no longer taken air in to it. The white fire kept flaring from the faces of the tatoos, and fromt he joints of Dargat's body's leg armour that was still attached. It caused an unpleasant chill, despite the appearance of flames.

With a jerk of his stolen body, Gholst swings a powerful fist backwards to try and stop Ameena from doign what she is tryign to do. It seems that some murafu spirit of High Lord was watching over her though, for she happened to shift forwards oblivious just as it swung over her.

However, the white fire was already stretching force, an aura of power and pain surrounding Dargat's body. Ameena had felt its burning touch in the ethereal plane, and now it had found her in the material plane. It did not hurt here, instead it seemed to suck her resolve and hope as it touched her. The two Trolins, although determined to protect Haynuus, already seemed uncertain at their chances of success in the white glow of the fire.

Mechanically, all that happens is you take 1 non-lethal damage for being in the aura. That goes for everyone else not Garax who might decide to engage Gholst too! Poor Trolins! Poor Ameena!

Ok, so map's up. Deephold and Falkor are coming in from the right, Petal is sort of with the Passin/Ameena group. Right now Gholst is focusing on Ameena, so someone might wanna do something about that. Otherwise, you might wanna take down Garax quickly before he starts doing stuff with his own weapon. Two handed weapons people with power attack are proficient with are kinda a bugger for extra damage. Thoguh his accuracy may well such, so fingers crossed that lady luck smiles on you!

Let me know if anything's unclear. Aurek, you regain 2d6 hit points from Westian's potion, I'm sure the two of you have enough actions to make, distribute and drink the pptions before Garax moves forwards, thus you won't take any AoOs.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OOC - OUCH -> 11 HP left. Still, at least I'm not standing where Ameena is right now!

In an act of desperation the human warrior turns his side away from the obviously uncomfortable half-orc. Haynuus was in despair with his weapon so imagine his present surprise when he not only gets to practice with it one more time but his previous weapon is left falling-then-clanging on to the flagstone floor.

"I am a spent force." he says to his friends, shoulders down
(22:16:27) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 1d20 and gets 11. => 22 - Gotcha! :)
(22:16:31) Lord Chaos Bot: ian_scho rolls 1d8 and gets 4. => That's 8 in total.

OOC - Will wait for someone to post, maybe someone could heal the fighter as Haynuus waving an empty potion bottle around hopefully!