TIME'S CHAMPIONS: Finale OOC thread

Forum for the finished DM D&D game 'Time's Champions' run by beowuuf

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: TIME'S CHAMPIONS: Finale OOC thread

Post by beowuuf »

You can assume Gholst to start with, given Falkor's experiences in the temple, and you could assume Dolo the second time as I think Karnadee actually explicitly said it.

So yeah, it would be pushing it. Remmeber Falkor has an army of ghosts around too. Though how well they would fare against Dolo is unknown - after all his mental abilities are the most dangerous aspect of him, he hasn't physically struck you guys from his spirit walking. Still, if you guys can distract him...and you want to use up your hgosts early...perhaps that would work...

Edit: Oh, Aurek and Petal are limited in their spellcasting, while Falkro and Westian can cast the full range of wizard/priest spells from DM 1, 2 and Nexus
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, someone just cast a load of Harm Non-Material Being spells at him and then we can go and gank his body later ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, which one of the two magic users with limited spell slots is going to do that? You volunteering Falkor as the only one who can go in to the ethereal plane then? :p

Yeah, there was a way to get unlimited spells, btw. That ship sailed. There are indeed many paths to the mountain, and choices have always counted!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, his spirit will still be there even if we can't see it, surely - it's just that you need to be on the spiritual plane in order to do so. So Dolo could be hovering right in front of us but we'd need to wear the cloak if we wanted to see him. And if he's in spiritual form, just because we can't see him doesn't mean we can't hit him with anti-ghost stuff if someone else can sense where he is and so tell us where to aim :D.
I was semi-joking anyway - so far no-one's given any indication that they know how to cast Des-Ew so I suppose no-one would necessarily think of it unless they suddenly thought "Hang on, we're basically fighting a spirit here..." ;).
Anyway, that aside, even if all we do is bug him so much we get him totally knackered, that'll still help 'cause it'll mean he'll be exhausted when he goes back to his body, and so hopefully be less of a threat. Since he doesn't understand the concept of friendship or whatever, I doubt he'd go asking anyone up there for a stamina potion or expect to be given one ;).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Is this a new encounter?

If so Westian will prepare to cast an EE level spell shield.

If not it will be ON (and consequently one of my ON VI potions will have to be UM).

Petal has 3 empty flasks, Ameena has one. If Raixel is not around I recommend between Petal and Deephold make: 2 x YA (for people who will be fighting, but are not that strong, e.g. Petal herself). Also a KU and a YA BRO potion for Haynuus, Aurek or (less pleasantly) a Trollin.

Also I recommend more spell shields prepared by Petal and Deephold.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

And we have 6 VI potions (5 made by Westian plus 1 Ameena has) so, we divide them up to give one to the 6 PCs, Helm, Deephold and the King. Actually that means we are three short...hmmm actually I see Haynuus has an empty flask too, so two short. Does anyone else have a flask?

Westian will have cast 2 x ON VI (4d6) and 3 x UM VI (3d6). The ON shoudl go to Haynuus and Aurek.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

As this will be the last encounter, I might be nice on exactly how long you take to restore any mana used for potions compared to mana remaining. Plus lots of this is slotting in to the very start of the truth path and also you walking around. You can assume you guys take a few minutes.

You can dump some potions for more flasks. Deephold should have one flask available.

And remember that potions and shields need to be cast right before you advance forwards, and so might be wasted on the Dolo encounter.

Anyway, all sounds goods in theory, others should weigh in, I guess at least Haynuus, Ameena and Raixel!

And yeah, maybe Dolo's weakness is his unwillingness to be seen to be weak to other people unless he has the advantage another way.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Note that my Um-Vi was made by Deephold, so only cures 2d6hp. If Helm wants to take a little more for his throat and so free up another flask for Westy to make a better potion, that's fine ;).
Btw, does no-one know how to make anti-poison potions then? Otherwise could we not have made a lower-level one (and saved the uber one) for Helm rather than him taking a Vi potion and hoping it's fully cured him (which presumably it hasn't).
For the upcoming encounter with Dolo, Ameena will concentrate on thinking happy thoughts and getting Helm to think them too, staying with him and providing moral support, etc. I would guess that taking care of Dolo, particularly in his wandering-spirit form, is more a job for the magic users of the group rather than those of us who can only melée. When it gets to the Big Encounter upstairs (figuratively speaking, of course, since I gather there are no stairs here ;)), Ameena will focus on talking to Theron and trying to subtly work out where the rest of the Soulstone is.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Westian's knowldege roll showed that the MON+ anti-toxin was the best bet, and the ON VI was the next best. At least Deephold and Westian could cast an anti-serum, but it would not have been as effective. The MON+ was the full cure, the ON Vi was a gamble, but as its not a poison but a disease then lower anti-toxins I'm giving limited effects on disiease. Just like lower VI potions cannot cure ability score damage.

so noted on the tactics, oddly didn't see this before...maybe we double posted...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Full of sangria, and still awaiting at least OB (preferably someone else too) so will at the very least wait until tomorrow to update
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Nothing wrong with drinking Sangria :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nothing at the time, though had weird dreams last night!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I hope the head was not too sore today!

Sorry about the delay, yesterday was a write-off. Moving house after work so no chance to get an update.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No hang over, just weird dreams at one point, so overall a win! And wow, house moving? Good luck with that! Sounds disruptive.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Marriage sounds disruptive too :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, well OB, since you haven't mentioned how it's going, I assume it's going well. No news is good news and all that :D

Money's off on holiday, btw, so it's just Raixel and LB I was wanting to give a chance to post too. Since OB posted over the weekend though, I think I'll go ahead and update us anyway. This darkness/group distruption thingie was not the main trick,so happy to move us onwards since the Trolins and Helm aren't completely hostile, and you guys are manoeuvering decently.

Ok, ok, I just want to drop the other shoe quickly, I'll admit it. You'd always have to guess Dolo had one more trick up his sleeve.

Edit: Lol, actually, I forgot your dip rolls were what they are. Maybe some small damage from that then!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Dammit, is Westy gonna get us all buggered in the head? Oh well, Ameena just thinks it's all mind-fuckery right now and isn't convinced the whole "zomg giant spider" thing is really real. She is keeping up the happy thoughts, btw. And staying close to Helm :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Well he's been lettign you guys get buggered in the head pretty much from the get-go. This is just to re-inforce that it's been mitigated not removed, so now you guys really, really need to deal with Dolo right now or else he's got the huge advantage you guys have. With the addition of people able to do nasty stuff with that knowledge in many ways!

No pressure, no pressure...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, I'm pretty sure that the physical-oriented people like myself and Haynuus are probably worse-equipped to deal with the current situation - we can probably fend off Dolo's attacks from our own minds to some extent (at least, better now than before since we're a bit more used to his tricks now), but I think actually dealing with hiim is largely gonna be down to those in the group used to spiritual-type stuff. If we have to blow the last few minutes on Theron's cloak then so be it but I think that should possibly be more of a last resort. It's a pity we dont have some kind of mass-telepathy thingy to join all our minds together - then we could probably pull Dolo into our web of thought and kill him with kindness by thinking happy thoughts at hiim till he falls apart :twisted:.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, because I always pitch full party encounters to have nothing for other people to do :p

You do managae to talk yourself and Ameena from having any use in encounters alot! Have you tested how the connection t Dolo works? Have you tried to reverse it and take the fight to him? Perhaps it - or Westian's new condition, or your own previous connection - will let you do just what you've said!
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Hmmm... that is bad. I need time to think. Unfortunately I don't think I will be abel to get in a proper post today (to answer your question beo, the house moving is going slowly and pianfully and stressfully!)

Will update tomorrow!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, it's a pity murafu only tend to fight back in self-defense. Still, if she realises that Westy (or anyone else) is in troble, she might try to distract Dolo or something. Right now she just sees everything appears to have become huge and is thinking "Ooh look he's trying to mess with my head again by making me feel small and have a predator some toward me - that's the kind of thing that would scare me but I'm familiar with his tricks now so it won't, ha ha"...she hasn't thought that everyone else is seeing the same thing.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So noted OB!

And yeah, Dolo picked the wrong person to try and awaken hidden racial terrors, given that is a real murafu day to day thing to deal with :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, normally that sort of thing would work at scaring her, but because she knows the group are going up against Dolo again and she knows what kind of stuff he's capable of from previous encounters, she reckons this is just another illusion and so is trying to counter it with happy thoughts and stuff. She probably assumes that the rest of the group either sees nothing weird, or that each member is seeing something intended to scare them.
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Crap. Sorry. Needless to say I had a very shitty week. I am currently running this off of my old pentium 3, which I finally got to recognize my modem. Needless to say, the site takes like 10 min to load. Oh well. Things should be back to normal by fri.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

A pox on exploding computers :(
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

OK peeps, I haven't actually mentioned this have I?... I am on hols in Belgium / France from the 6th for nigh on 1 3/4 weeks. Feel free to continue the encounter without Haynuus - as pointed out by Ameena this enconuter seems a more mental or intellectual challenge for now :)

After that I have another 2 weeks hols but should be pottering about daily anyways, attempting to avoid direct sunlight!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, doesn't ring a bell! Solunds good, but yeah, you and Ameena are convinced nothing physical is about to go down... I'll try not to kill you off, and I'm sure we'll have some tactical challenges for you to decide upon before you leave.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, even though Ameena knows it's just gotta be an illusion, she figures there might be something under the illusion, and at the sight of it savaging Westy she's decided to use a bit of murafu tactics in order to try and persuade it to sod off ;).
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

beowuuf wrote:Luckily Ameena attacked the spider, so even if it's real, she's pulling agro. Not that's it's real, right? :D
Yes, I am sure Westian will be grateful for the help when he realises what is going on! :D
beowuuf wrote: Glad you took the rrisk though, because Westian's guess at what's going on...yeah, looking forward to the next update![/b]
Looking forward to it too! Also looking forward to find out if the definitely imaginary spider is going to eat us or not.