BEO's FUN FUN INTRO

Forum to run play-by-post RPG games based on Dungeon Master! Warning: These games may have mature themes or language.
CURRENT GAME: Raixel's 3.5ed D&D game

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: BEO's FUN FUN INTRO

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, see Ameena, told you the AC 9 was just a joke based on what I'd said. Too much for hope that the big thingie won't be agile and have a little bit of natural armour :(

Can Ssssil make a grab for the bola and pull it to ensure it remains a restriction? Would that be essentially a grapple? Ssssil would drop his sword to do that, since the axe seemed to do more damage anyway. Raw rolls of 17 for the touch attack, 13 for the grapple check if needed.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3654819/
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Um, yeah. He can, that would be a grapple. I think. Um. Or I could rule that it'd be grabbing a weapon? Let me check the rules on that. Thats a tricky one cuz youre not exactly grappling with the lasstiir. Hmm. *goes to read rule compendium*.

Alright. so I swear there was rules somewhere for grabbing an item held by or on someone else, but the closest I could find that fit was grab an opponents weapon during a grapple or attacking an object held worn or carried by another. Its really a combo of the two, so

Question, are you going to hang on to the bola or just jerk it tighter? Cuz if you succeed on the grapple itd be an opposed STR to hang on, while the lasstiir is trying to pull it out of your hands, so make sure you roll that too.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can only think of the grapple options you've listed regarding grabbing a weapon. Is it one of the Pathfinder combat manoeuvers?

Hanging on to it I reckon, at least until it jerks it from his hand, so here's the strength check - a 6! :(
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3656852/

Realising the bola was helping stop the lasstiir from harming Growlgra, Sssssil dropped his short sword and made a very desperate grab for the line as the creature bucked and wheeled at the blows.
raixel

Post by raixel »

ROUND 3

INIT
Urrffrah 22
Sssil 17
Growlgra 9
Lasstiir 7
Nihss NAT 1

Urrffrah picks herself up off of the ground and spits angrily as she shakes the mud out of her thick fur. Seeing an opening, she quickly dives for the creatures leg and manages to sink her teeth in high up right where the foreleg joins its torso. She feels her teeth scrape along bone as the lastiir screams in agony and tries to jerk its leg away, but Urrffrah hangs on tight. She shakes her head, still biting deep, and manages to rip a chnk of flesh free. The taste of the flesh and red-life replaces the nasty mud taste and her eyes gflare brightly with anticipation.

The lasstiir is limping from the wound dealt to it by Urrffrah and seems distracted. Sssil circles around to its entangled side and makes a grab for the dangling end of the bola which is slowly untangling itself as the beast moves. He manages to get his fingers on the greenstone rock making up the weighted end, but as soon as he does, the lasstiir whips sideways and lashes out at him with its non-entangled paw, catching the tracker right in the join between the breastplate and waist of his armor with its curved claws and tearing a huge rent. Well, that didnt work. Its AoO for the grapple was a non-natural 20. You take 8 points of damge. Good idea though, because that bola is slowly unwinding...

Growlgra has been slowly circling the lasstiir behind where Urrffrah and Sssil are, trying to stay out of the cat-thing's range of sight. However, when he sees Sssil get hit, he snarls a war-cry and jumps forward with his long knife trying to land on the beast's back an drive the knife through its spine. The entangled lasstiir doesn't see him, being distracted as it is by Sssil and the bika lands right on the creature's back between its shoulders and abdomen area. He howls in triumph as he reverses his long-knife quickly in hand and drives it down at the lasstiir. There is a scraping nise as the strange greenstone knife scatches the backbone to plunge in along side of the spine all the way to the hilt. Growlgra twists the blade cruely before withdrawing it and sliding backwards off of the creature's haunches to land in a crouch. His knife is stained to the hilt and he grins a feral grin as he watches the lasstiir tottering on its feet, bright pink frothy blood bubbling out of the wound.
Aaannd Growlgra non-confirm crits! (Remember, since nat 1s are ALWAYS a fail, a nat 20- or 19 if you have a weapon with that property- is double damage and a confirmed crit is double damage + penalties (roll 1d6 and the # equates to a part of the body for which a penalty will be assigned for 1d4 rounds(dm rolls that)

Sssil knows that one of the lastiir's lungs has been punctured by Growlgra's strike, the cause of the bright blood. The creature weaves unsteadily as it lurches at Growlgra, obviously trying to hurt the being that wounded it so greatly. However, it has very little stregth left and the bika easily slides away from the clumsy blow.

Nihss grins at Growlgra "It be nearly dead!" the young hunter screams as he charges forward and chops at it with his crude but effective blade. the young swamp lizar is a bit overconfident, for even though the lasstiir is severely wounded, it is still a formidable advisary and slams its shoulder into the swamp lizar as he strikes, knocking the wind out of him for a second and messing up his attack.

You guys almost got it! Keep going!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ssssil is glad Growlgra is alive, and makes an unfortunately ineffective swing at the creature's tangled leg. He had hoped to make it stumble and reveal the wound again for Growlgra to finish the job.

"Oops," said Ssssil.

Speaking of rolling natural 1's, just rolled a natural 1 for the attack. Ssssil will five-foot step if needed to keep the flank up for anyone that needs it, but otherwise I shudder to think what's going to happen...
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3657563/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I actually forgot to check whether I'd get a flanking bonus for my last attack or two - can't remember where I'm standing in relation to everyone else. Pity we don't have any true Rogues who can be doing some nice Sneak Attack damage. Oh well, we seem to be doing pretty well as-is :twisted:.

Food! Finally! Urrffrah practically inhales the chunk of sky-face leg that she's just bitten off, swallowing it to make room in her mouth for the rest of the creature, which thanks to Growlgra leaping on top of it and sticking a sharp pointy thing into its back, doesn't look like very far off. Stupid thing shouldn't have got in her way in the first place.
She leaps again, this time going for the throat - she wants to finish this thing as quickly as possible now, before too much of its tasty red-life-water leaks away.

Okay so you can't do called shots in DnD, but that's the spot that Urrffrah is narratively attacking. Attack roll = ohh ffs a botch, YAY :P. So she probably gets bitten in the face for her troubles, or something :P.

Post by raixel »

Did I see that right? Did you both just crit fail? Hmmmmm... :twisted:

*singing* o/~ Ohh..its timeeess like theeessee a DeeeM liveeess fooorrr, yeeeahhh. Ohhh times like theeeesssee!! o/~

ROUND 4
INIT
Urrffrah 22
Sssil 17
Growlgra 9
Lasstiir 7
Nihss NAT 1

Urrffrah, her own life-water singing in her ears with he joy of the hunt and the desire to eat the sky-faced creature that has plagued her so. To consume its life-mana; the power she heard the magic-caller name KU when he looked at her for the first time after pulling her from her born-place. She doesnt know what KU means, or what "mana" is, only that her mouth is watering with the desire to feel the sky-face's redwater and flesh slide down her throat and the joy of the full belly afterwards.

She leaps at the entangled lasstiir, fully intending to lock her jaws onto its throat and crush the life out of it. Instead she is suprised when the creature turns sideways to get its unprotected throat out of the way so she is bearing down right n its entangled side. She has already left the ground, jaws agape, and can't stop her leap. Instead of a mouthful of throat-hide pulsing with fresh redwater underneath, her sensitive tongue and teeth encounters the heavily twisted plant-things that make up the strange flying catcher the small canine threw. There is a slight *snap* as the taut cord breaks when it encounters her razor sharp fangs. The beast darts backwards as the cord falls to the ground, no longer hampered by it. Although the lasstiir doesnt have the capabilities to plan such an event, Urrffrah was just unlucky enough to have it turn its tangled side at the exact moment she leapt for its throat in an attempt to avoid her.

Sssil runs at the lasstiir as soon as Urrffrah leaves the ground, hoping that if she misses causing a mortal wound, he can strike the creature himself, or at least get it in a position for his other companions to finish the severely wounded beast. The lasstiir turns to face him, seemingly moving to avoid Urrffrah's attempt to bite its throat. As he runs toward the creature, axe high to chop down as soon as he is within range, he is surprised to see Urrffrah slam her jaws into its entangled side, leaving minescule scratches and causing an odd snapping sound. Suddenly, the lasstiir rears up on its hind legs, both paws spread, attempting to catch the tracker in a hug so that it can bring its powerfully clawed back legs into play. Sssil has just enough time to blurt out "oops' and see the horrified look on Growlgra's face before all he can see is the grey-green hide of the creature's chest inches from his snout. Its going for a grapple. Roll opposed STR at -2 for your fail (to represent the fact that you were running at it and are completely unprepared for it to rear up and try and grapple you.) Have you ever seen a tiger when it rears up and catches something so it can tear it aapart...yeah.. *IF* your STR succeeds, you can take your AoO, if it wins, you are grappled and dont get the AoO. I wasn't gonna roll first but then i decided to to make it easier for you to narrate. Roll was a 15.

I'm going to wait to post the NPCs cuz what happens totally depends on that grapple. Ameena, you can post a narrative response, or next rounds actions if you want
Last edited by raixel on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Decided to roll STR so Beo could narrate easier.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Still player wins a tie? Rolled a 17, so 15 in total. AoO will be 12+3 (or +5 if he has a flank). Raw grapple check afterewards would be 18.
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3658222/

Ssssil's body reacted faster than his confused and terrified brain. It had saved his life in the past, by throwing him into and through danger before his mind and body could freeze and lock up. The moment the creature reared up, Ssssil dove in and threw his free hand towards one of the paws while his axe made a hasty swing towards the same side and the creature's powerful back leg.

The instinctive blow was followed by Ssssil's wiry body using the upswing to push against that paw with everything he had, hoping to pause the creature in a vulnerable position for a second so his friends could finish the job.

Or, at least, that was how his brain could rationalised it afetr it happened. It was just a strange instinct and inverse terror to run at danger, and Ssssil's subconscious would do everything it could to not allow his small friend buried in his chest to be crushed.

Well, a set of decent enough rolls there - at the very least hopefully he can pull out of the grapple, even if the AoO doens#t end up wounding the now free critter!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Urrffrah is becoming highly irritated at this stupid creature's inability to just fall over and die! She's had enough, now. Instead of growling ferociously and making a load of noise, she saves her energy. She crouches down, flattening herself to the ground and pinning her ears back, narrowing her eyes to focus properly on her prey. Then she pounces. No more messing around. This thing will feed her. She'll make sure of that.

Now hopefully I won't roll another botch to counter that description of "I'm focusing on you to the exclusion of all else so I can fucking kill you at least" :D. Attack roll = 18 (13+5), or 20 (13+5+2) if I'm Flanking, though I'm guessing that probaly doesn't matter too much since I imagine an 18 is a hit anyway in this case :). Bite damage = 5 (2+3). Now please tell me it's snack time! :D

Post by raixel »

Damn, and here I was thinking my diabolical plan would actually work for once, stupid dice.

Sssil's axe comes crashing down on the severely wounded lasstiir's back leg, causing the beast to scream in pain with its mouth right next to the lizar's ear hole. Rolled your damage. It was 4The mental image of Growlgra's moveable ears pops in Sssil's head as Hisssa is inundated with the annoying vibrations of the scream, to say nothing of the ringing Sssil hears afterwards. But the noise doesn't stop the tracker from using the strike to push the lasstiir off balance and slip away quickly. The tracker knows that if a lasstiir gets its paws on you, the result can be leathal, as the creatures fight by grabbing onto an opponent and using their quickness to rip the opponent to shreds, so feels fortunate at having dodged that outcome.

Growlgra howls in annoyance at the loud scream and charges forward to attack the wounded beast, ears pressed flat against his skull. The noise obviously affects him more than anyone else, because he stabs out with his knife about a foot too soon, and doesnt even come close to striking.

The lastiir pounces at Growlgra, its bestial mind still obviously remembering the grevious wound dealt to it by the bika, that even now bubbles pink blood with each breath. Now that the bola is no longer entangling the beast, even though it is wounded it is able to bring its full quickness to bear against the small hunter. Growlgra has no time to react before the cat-like creature rears up and lashes out at him with both forepaws, dragging the furry hunter towards it as if Growlgra is nothing but a small doll.. The lastiir wraps its forepaws against the bika's small body, pulling the snarling canine under its chest. As Growlgra desperatly twist and lashes out with his blunt finger claws, the great ape-cat rakes both its back feet against the bika's torso, tearing huge bloody rents as Growlgra yelps in agony.

Growlgra has been/is currently being grappled and raked. THAT is why I was glad he got that bolaattack off and no one attempted to grapple the lasstiir. They have a lot of the same feats as the great cats after all.

"Grrosssgsssa!" Nihss shouts in fear as he dances around the struggling bika and screaming lasstiir, wanting to get the geat beast off of his friend but not wanting to risk accidentally striking Growlgra. Finally deciding taht to leave GRowlgra there is to risk getting him killed, he leaps forward and striks out at the cat-beast. But as he moves closer the lasstiir look sup, green eyes flaring and almost causually bats the incoming blade away without releasing his hold on GRowlgra. NIhss dances backwards, a look of anguish on his face as Growlgra continuously howls in pain.

ROUND 5
INIT
Urrffrah 22
Sssil 17
Growlgra 9
Lasstiir 7
Nihss NAT 1

The cries of anguish of the trapped and hurt bika wakes something in Urrffrah, something deep inside of her. Her pack mate and hunt-partner is in trouble! This stupid *thing* is hurting her packmate! It is not a member of her hunting pack, and yet it hurts one of her pack! It must die, then her pack shall have its red-water and flesh! SHE will have its flesh and its life! Her eyes flare an intensly bright violet as she snarls in rage and again leaps at the sky-face's throat. This time it is too busy slashing at the bika underneath it to dodge the angry barghest. Her jaws snap shut on its unprotected throat like a vise. The barghest revels in the taste and sensation as she feels its breathing-part and white-chewing-things crunch undr her jaws and the red-water begins to flow. The sky-face tries to shriek in surprise, but it can make no noise with the barghest's teeth tearing through its windpipe. With a quick jerk, Urrffrah rips its throat entirely out and it collapses with a wheezing gurgle on top of the struggling bika. It is still clinging to life, but its time can be measured in seconds as it twitches feebly and its life pours out to tsain the ground around its torn throat.

Urrffrah stands there, her mouth still full of the lasstiirs flesh...

A weak yelp comes out from under the heavy unconcious and bleeding out body as he severly injured Growlgra tries to pull himself out from under the creature that weighs many more times than he does.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The dice giveth, and the dice taketh away :) And yay, Urrffrah get to murder a poor big cat ape thingie!

Ssssil barely has time to realise that he is free before Growlgra is dragged under. He rushes forwards, however Urrffrah is faster and kills the creature before it can harm the furry hunter further.

Ssssil relief is short lived as he realises his friend is being crushed underneath. Ssssil rushes forwards, trying to lever the body up using just his axe and pulling at Growlgra. "Lift creature! Get cord! Pull him! Help!" says Ssssil with a string of contradictory orders as he panics getting the bika free before the weight suffocates his friend.

Luckily rolled a 19 for a strength check, so hopefully it will be ok...
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3658867/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Without fruther ado, Urrffrah does what she's wanted to do since this creature started to get on her nerves. Now that it's no longer got any strength to stop her doing so, she opens her mouth to its eating-things wideness and, after a few moments of wriggling about and a few faint crunching sounds, the sky-face thing is gone, Urrffrah feels a bit less hungry, and Growlgra is laying on the floor, covered in the sky-face's red-life-water...and plenty of his own. Urrffrah attempts to help by lapping this up.

WOOT! Yay I killed something :D. So Urrffrah disposes of that heavy weight by eating it - no problem :D. I wonder if I should keep a kill count - might be fun :twisted:.

Post by raixel »

Keep in mind, Growlgra is literally suffocating. And its going to take you quite a bit of time to eat a Large creature of that size... Your supernatural full round eating ability only applies to humanoids. And I'd say Humanoids of Medium size. You can eat larger ones, but for every size above medium, its another full round. The lasstiir is type animal. So you can eat it completely, but its going to take a normal amount of time and you get no con bonus,
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Oh yeah, I forgot it was Large. Well, Urrffrah can start at the end that's covering Growlgra the most. Two Full actions to eat it is still only twelve seconds in-game ;). And yeah, I know the Feed bonus thing only applies to humanoids - that doesn't mean she can't stuff her face with any other random critters she come across though :D.

Post by raixel »

Yes. But the *eat in a full round* ability as well as the con bonus is a supernatural ability that only applies when you are consuming a humanoid. So you can't eat a large animal in two full rounds. You can eat it pretty fast. But like 8-10 mins fast, not 12 seconds. You can try and eat the part covering Growlgra's face and chest though, if you want. Theres gotta be a roll for it though. Dex maybe, to eat fast but not with supernatural pseed (cuz you can only do that with a humanoid). I dunno. I'll think about it and let it go this time.

Nihss runs forward as soon as he realizes what is going on and tries to aid Sssil in getting the small canine out from under the heavy body. "Here, you be lifiting, I be trying to get him out of there!" the young swamp lizar says frantically. Sssil manages to lever the huge body off of the bika's chest and face, causing GRowlgra to draw in a huge shuddering breath. Nihss reaches under the body and tries to pull Growlgra out, however he can't seem to. "His legs be caught!" the swamp lizar shout.

Urrffrah sees what is going on and realizes that although this life and flesh wuldn't give her the feeling that she is used to when she eats one who is aware, it was still fresh flesh, flesh that was trapping a packmate beneath it. So she does what she does best. The two lizar watch as the barghest rips into the dead lasstiir's belly with great speed, causing organs and parts to fly all over as the barghest happily gulps down the dead beast's insides.

Sssil's arms are straining to hold up the carcass as Urrffrah tries to lighten it enough that he can shove it completely off Growlgra. Nihs runs over and helps the tracker. It takes a minute or two, during which Sssil focuses o nothing but Growlgra, still raggedly breathing beneath him. The bika looks badly injured. Although concious, his bare chest and stomach have been slashed apart. Huge bloody rents travel from the bika's neck to just above his tanned-fur kilt. He looks up at Sssil and coughs weakly, then grins and draws his bloody finger down his muzzle and points it at the lizar.

Urrffrah stuffs her belly happily. Eating was what life was all about. Even though this wasn't the best type of food, the type where she could feel its life joining with hers and giving her extra strength, it wsa still meat, food. Within a couple of minutes she has consumed everything in the body cavity, and Sssil is able to easily shove the now-empty carcass off his friend. Urrffrah is mildly surprised when she starts on a leg that the whole dead thing suddenly moves about 6 feet to the side, but doesnt even look up from her all-consuming passion to fill her belly.

Growlgra attempts to tsand as soon as he is freed, but stumbles and lands back on his knees. He spreads his arms out to a distance of about 3 1/2 feet, and then points to a young tree nearby. Get stick to walk. Although he hasn't looked at hi swounds very closely, Sssil realizes the bika has been pretty badly injured by the attack of the lasstiir. Growlgra doesnt really show it, only in a few winces and growls as he again tries to stand and totters to his feet for afew seconds before leaning against the nearby log.

Urrffrah has reduced the entire back half of the lasstiir to a skeleton, leaving nothing but the creamy whitish bones of the tail and back legs.

So, Growlgra's pretty injured. He can walk though if you guys want to go on. Urrffrah is happily eating the lasstiir and Nihss got a really low STR roll to get GRowlgra out
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I don't think Urrffrah has so far eaten a sentient creature - once she got loose into the wild she would have just been eating wildlife and stuff. So she won't know that she can be made noticeably stronger by eating certain creatures, only that she always has room to eat something more and that it's something she like doing ;). Also, she's not fussed about eating it "in order". Barghests can eat stuff whole, I mean, bones and all - it says that in the description somewhere. The stomach of a barghest seems like this kind of bottomless pit that they can just keep gulping food into, and presumably their jaws can unhinge in the manner of a snake in order to fit larger stuff (like a human or whatever) into it. Urrffrah will just start at one end and chomp her way along. Okay so the lasstir thing is gonna be too big to swallow in on but she'll be biting off hunks as large as she can physically manage and downing them as fast as is feasibly possible (probably so fast she doesn't really notice, or care much about, the taste) so that she can get onto the next mouthful :D.

Food! Urrffrah crunches down with satisfaction on the remains of the creature, her mouth opening as wide as it can in order to fit the various legs and things in. Meanwhile she gathers that Growlgra is probably injured. But as far as she can tell from the edge of her awareness, he's up and moving about so he's probably not in danger of totally collapsing any time soon. Sssil and Nihss can probably fix him pretty well, anyway - these creatures must be used to dealing with that sort of thing, surely? They live out here, after all - they must be used to dealing with being clawed by creatures like this sky-face that she's currently gulping down. And they live to hunt - they must occasionally get injured. So they must be used to it. That's what a pack is for, isn't it? To keep the prey busy if it hurts you, so that you can fix yourself, or have another pack member fix you, so that you can get back to hunting.

Urrffrah is happy barghest right now! Om nom nom! :D
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Just realised I listed the normal two weapon fighting penalty, but I'd deliberately taken light weapons for the -2...oops! Adjusted my sheet for next time.

And lol, glad you got to eat huge animals Ameena! I wonder why Hissssa is scared he will be skin and bones with you around? :D

Ssssil rushed forward as Growlgra staggered. "No no no no no no no!" he said, still wincing at Growlgra's wounds. He points to the ground, to encourage the bika to stay where he had staggered. Stay down! Ssssil scrambled for his healer kit, and the last of the bloodmoss he had found, and gestuired with them to Growlgra's wounds. I fix!

Ssssil then gestured for Nilss to go and attack the tree Growlgra was going for. "Get him stick! Big stick!" he said, making more chopping motions, then making a 'stay there' motion to Growlgra, and began unfurling bandages and stuffing them with the moss, and then looking at Growlgra and wincing, and then unfurling more bandages and giving an encouraging look to Growlgra then a scared look to the bandages.

Only rolled a 13 for a heal check, which is a shame as I rolled an 8 for the healing itself :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, I expect Urrffrah could eat a full-grown dragon if you'd give her a few days or so :D.

Post by raixel »

Urrffrah is an outsider (with the native subtype given to her when the mage changed her). Outsiders are not like beings of the material plane. They are never "children" as such, but are born with all the instinctual knowlege of their race, eve if they dont have the experience, size, or memories that an older member of their race has. For example a just born (or spawned, or created or whatever) devil doesnt really have to learn how to be a devil, it just knows. If it is a warrior devil, it might not be as good of a fighter as an older member, nor as tough or as strong, so must learn that. But it knows it is a devil whose purpose is to fight and spread evil.

So she instinctively knows that eating a humanoid is *good*. She would have had to eat *some* kind of humanoid at some point in her existence or she would be a barghest whelp, not a barghest. The PC race in savage psecies gets the con bonus, but the actual barghest race grows (gains HD) when it eats a sentient humanoid. So in order for Urrffrah to be a barghest and not a whelp (fully sentient barghest cub, not so much a child as a small barghest who has eaten less than (I think) 3 sentuent humanoids- but that number could be easily changed) she would have had to eat a sentient humanoid at some point. I just thought that the changing of what happens when she eats could be easily explained by the interference of the mage, and that perhaps hse had hunted for her humanoids on the Plane of Unrelenting Law before the mage caught her. So, instincively she would want to eat a humanoid cuz something good happens, but maybe doesnt remember what or why.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm, that's a fair point, lol. Okay then, maybe the mage guy summoned some crappy humanoid of aggressive nature (like, the equivalent of a goblin or something) from another plane and put it in a room with her so it attacked her and then she had to kill it and eat it and somehow it made her feel good. But she probably doesn't link the exact nature of the prey with what makes her feel stronger, only that some things do it and others don't. She doesn't really know she's from another plane of existence, after all, only that the "Other Place" must clearly be a long way away or she might possibly have found it by now, given that I expect she's wandered pretty far in the time she's been loose ;). Anyway, we probably should stop discussing IC secrets in one of the public threads, or there'll be nothing left for people to wonder about my character ;).

Post by raixel »

Growlgra stumbles a few steps and then at Sssil's insistence lays back down, whimpering slightly under his breath as he does so. Nihss runs over to the nearby sapling and chops at it with his pathmaker. With a few chops, he has fashined a small crutch, just about a good size for a bika.

Sssil looks over the bika's severe wounds. There are 3 deep rents running from his collarbone to just above his waist. It seems that due to his small size, Growlgra was able to twist out of the way of one of the lasstiir's huge paws, something that a larger creature couldn't do. But the bloody gashes are still deep. Sssil can see the white bone of the bika's ribcage glistening through the wounds.

The tracker closes his eyes and focuses. Step by step he remembers Thessan treating the wound given to him by the swamp turtle, and follows the steps accordingly. Something pops in his mind, and he remembers something about lasstiir's claws being very dirty and full of sickness-mana and so makes sure he washes the wounds out very well with the special mixture of herbs and water in his healing kit, and mixing the moss with the water and coating the bandage with itBut after that, his hands start shaking and all he can focus on is his little hunter-friend, whimpering and growling on the ground in front of him. The steps, of which he was so sure of before melt from his mind. Hisssa becomes concerned and leaves hs pouch to nuzzle the tracker's snout, although the snake has no idea how to help an injured bika and just send Sssil the image of the red hair-thing topped by two triangles and a feeling of worry.

Sssil sits there staring at his friend's bloody torso, his mind twisting like a mouse trapped in the corner of Hissa's hunting box. Suddenly a pair of blunt-clawed scaled hands pop into view. He looks up and sees Nihss holding out a small bone needle and gut-thread, the carved crutch next to him on the ground. "I know how scary it be, first time you be seeing a friend get hurt." he tells Sssil comfortingly.

"Here. Take this needle and thread. I be learning healing, because it be part of shaman training. I be walking you through it, step by step." he says, looking strangely wise beyond his 15 cycles. "Here, be taking the bloodmoss and be putting some in the wound. Then, be stitching the sides of the wound together, with the moss paste being inside. Then, be wrapping with bandages." he instructs as he guides Sssil step-by-step through the process.

K, Nihss is aiding you, giving you a 15 total and allowing you to heal Growlgra.

Eventuaally, the process is done and Sssil finishes wrapping the bika's torso in bandages with Nihss' help. Growlgra looks a lot better and moves his arms and legs experimentally before sitting up slowly and wincing slightly. He slowly gets to his feet, tottering unsteadily. Nihss holds out the criutch, and Growlgra takes it gratefully. The bika is moving much easier and with less pain then he was before Sssil healed him, although he still leans on the crutch for support to help him walk. He grins at Sssil and Nihsss and nods his thanks.

Meanwhile, Urrffrah is lost in the joy of eating. Although this food isn't the kind in her memory that makes her feel alive, it is fresh and there is a lot of it. Eventually, the majority of the beast is gone, leaving only a few large bones to big to crunch and swallow and pools of blood on the ground. She licks experimentally at the red-life pooled and soaked into the ground, but comes away with a muddy tongue after only a few laps. So she grabs a leg-bone too large to swallow and starts chewing on it, her powerful jaws cracking it so she can get at the rich marrow inside. When there is nothing left but split large-bones and soaked blood she looks around for more. Finding nothing more that tastes good, she disappointedly turns to her packmates. The furry one is up on his feet, an odd white thing wrapped around his chest that smells of strong plants that tickles her nose and redwater. He is leaning on a stick for some reason. The other two "lizzar" are watching him, but for what she has o idea. He isnt dead and is walking, so why are they looking at him?

Growlgra takes a few steps with the crutch and then nods to the two concerned lizar. He points to himself, then the crutch, then the RA orb, and mimes it moving across the sky. I'll be fine soon. He then points to the tre where Thessan was found, its bark steaked with dried blood and congealed pools and many flies at its base.

"We should be checking the area where the self-merchant be lying." Nihss says quietly to the group, as he points down the path and mimes laying on the ground for Urrffrah and Grwolgra's benefit.

Hisssa is bored of being in his pouch, and climbs out to coil around Sssil's neck. The small viper seems happy to see Growlgra up and walking, and sticks his neck out towards the bika. Growlgra to his credit holds out a hand towards Hissa and lets the snake scent it. Hissa seems even more happy that Growlgra isn't afraid of him and sends a feeling of joy to his tracker friend.

Sssil and Urrffrah look around. They are on a narrow muddy game-path about 10 feet wide, probably also used by swamp lizar. next to them is the log Urrffrah was in, as well as the few scraps left lf the lasstiir. A ways down the path, but still visible is the bloodied tree Thessan was found spiked against. Congealed blood and gore is attracting many flies and their low hum drones in everyone's ears. To the west, the path bends and is lost in the heavy foliage toward where the merchant's body and wagon is. The path also continues East, but neither Sssil nor Urrfrah knows really what lies in that direction.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Urrffrah looks around a bit, then changes to her goblin form so that she can be better understood.
"Nneed...finnnd...trray-ul." she says. "Trrrackzzh. Zzhennt. Finnd...bad ones. Hunnt. Khilll. Eet."
She gestures vaguely with her head at the surrounding area, then remembers and gestures instead with a forepaw in the manner of those creatures who walk only on their hindlegs.

Translation
Spoiler
"Need find trail. Tracks. Scent. Find bad ones. Hunt. Kill. Eat."
. Urrffrah's eyes will glow slightly on the last bit. Predictable much? ;)
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

"Usually hunt alone," agreed Ssssil as Nilss came across. The lizar was to nervous to be embarrassed about needing help, and too focused on listening to feel odd about taking direction from a swamp lizar.

Seeing Grolwgra get back on his feet, Ssssil shared his small friend's joy, having ignored Hissssa for fear of the terrified images he would have shown to the snake.

Ssssil almost starts a gesture indicating pointy ears and the direction of the wagon, thinking that it would all be well once thye got back to Westian, however he then realised that was not an option. Not right now. Ssssil siddenly felt an odd sensation in his stomach at the thought that something he;d done had such horrible, potentially dangerous consequences.

Was this responsibility? He didn't like it much. He coulnd't think why his father insisted on inflicting it on his favoured son.

Ssssil nodded at Nilss's words, delivered at the end of Urrffrah's noisy ambient accompaniment. Ssssil was surprised when Urrffrah actually spoke. It still took him a moment to associate the glowing eyed goblin to his wolf friend.

Ssssil tried to stand to a reasonable height, realising that everyone was here really because of him, and he needed to strat pulling his weight. He put his bloody hands together, then hide the tremble when he spotted the blood. He turned around to the bloody glade instead, felt queazy, and tried to ignore it all to look for tracks - either those responsible for attacking Thesssan, or the tracks of Thesssan's missing mount.

Unnatural 20! Hopefully we can catch a break and find something deserving Urrffrah's stomach! :)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3665163/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Something else deserving being in Urrffrah's stomach, you mean ;). Well, I suppose technically the lasstir was only defending its territory or whatever...but, you know, he picked a fight with a barghest. What a silly bugger ;).

Post by raixel »

Nihss takes a second to puzzle out the barghest's growling speech. "Good. Yessssss." he tells her in heavily accented Common. I assume Urrffrah only speaks Common? Growlgra also nods and begins to poke around the area where Thessan's body was laying before looking back over at his companions. The bika is moving slower than normal, and is iobviously still a bit pained. Urrffrah can smell the sharp scent of injury, although it appears to be a bit covered by the strange smelling things in the white cloth that the lizars wrapped around the small hunter's torso.

He looks back at Ssssil's miming and shakes his head negatively, then flattens his ears against his skill as if to make his head more reptillian, and mimes being angry and pretends to walk away looking downcast, then shrugs as if to brush it off. I'll be fine. Dont worry.

If Nihss notices Ssssil's embarrasment, he says nothing about it, just replies "None of us be perfect at everything. A lesson I once be leaning, that it better to be asking for help when need it, than not ask and be causing harm. It be the way of my people." He turns away and begins to slowly check the trail nearby then turns back as if he just realized what Sssil said. "And you be not alone! You be a Blessed One. Never alone." he says firmly.

The area where Thessan was found still has pools of blood and gore. Flies buzz around annoyingly as the small group enters the area. Sssil can tell it looks completely undisturbed, at least by sentient beings. There are a few of the odd feline-humanoid lasstiir tracks nearby. Most likely the beast now residing comfortably in Urrffrah's stomach came to sniff the area, attracted by the blood-smell. Urrffrah notices the smell of he life-water still carries a darkness, although now that it has congealed and cooled it is nowhere as intense as it was. Growlgra finishes examining the area and shakes his head negatively.

"Be looking undisturbed. I be finding no prints of lizar or any signs anyone else be here. Lets be going farther." Nihss remarks.. Something about taht doesn't seem right to Sssil, a nagging feeling in the back of his mind. Where was the grahhssk tracks/ They should be here. And also the party's tracks from the earlier passage sgould be here, but the arent, except for directly around the puddles of blood where Thessan lay.

As everyone moves further down the trail, the loud buzzing of flies becomes an incessent drone. Urrffrah can smell thedeath smell from the lifewater of the being she saw earlier, although it seems strangely distant and not as strong as it should.

The party rounds the bend of the tiny trail. As they move, Sssil gcan see Growlgra standing straighter as if he is steeling himself to the grisly sight. But to everyones surprise, as they come to the area, both the merchant and grahhssk's bodies are gone. The ruined wagon is still there, although it lies shattered , as if someone dileberately tore it apart to hide the words written in blood and burned part inside. Now nothing is left but a pile of wood chunks. There is still much blood and some chunks of gore, but someone or a few someones have definately taken the time to clean the area and attempt to hide their trail.

Nihss peers around, looking slightly agitated. "This be worrying me. Did you be hiding your back-trail when you be taking your injured friend back to the caravan?"the young lizar asks quietly.

Nihss looks out to the wilderness, watchful and with his hand on his pathmaker. Growlgra, although he can't understtand the words of the young lizar senses the tension and looks around cautiously.

Although the unknown party has tried to cover their tracks, after a bit of searching, Sssil finds a few blood droplets and broken branches leading deeper into the swamp, kind of Northwest from the party's current position.

Nihss looks at everyone. "I be not liking this.." he repeats. "Think you that it be a trap?"
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, remember that her Goblin is really, really crap and while her Infernal is fluent, no-one else can understand it and she was told (by Westian, probably) that using it was not a great idea because of the general attitude of people (mainly priestly-types I expect) toward those who speak that language ;). I think she's still got the translator pendant thingy, but had no real chance to give it back yet.
Also, is there no sign anywhere of a trail made by the jackal thingys where they dragged off bits of the carrion?

Changing back to her natural, more comfortable form, Urrffrah follows along with the others as they investigate the area where Thessan was wounded, then move on to the place where the other lizar was killed. She makes sure she sniffs at all she can find, but leaves the trail-finding to the others. She shifts to goblin form, though, to inform them of one thing.
"Rrred-lyff-worrrterr...zzhtill...zzhmell bad." she mutters.

Translation -
Spoiler
"Red-lif-water still smell bad."
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, cute impression by Grolwgra

Ssssil feels sick once more that he didn't think to cover the tracks when they left the first time. OF course, then he'd been trying to make sure Thesssan wasn't bleeding to death. "Was busy," said Ssssil defensively to Nilss, turning his shoudler to the swamp lizar in order to concentrate on looking around, and seeing the spots of blood.

"Here," says Ssssi, pointing to the spots for Nilss attention. To Growlgra and Urrffrah, he points to the area around, then makes gestures as if sweeping everything away to the far corners, then looks around as if not able to see anything. Area made clean. He then points back to the caravan. Points to his feet and Grolwgra's, then points back to the caravan again but tracing the ground from their feet along the ground. We made tracks.

Sssil then gestures for the other two to come closer and look to the blood spots. He points in to the swamp in the direction he believes the tracks are going. He looks to his three companions, wondering if they can see or hear anything. He shrugs and points onwards again.

Rolled spot/listen in case anything is close - meh rolls, so I guess no either way, he's obviously too worried (10 and 8).
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3676408/

Did roll a far better survival check -28! - assumign we're going onwards, he'll be able to follow ther tracks and maye spot anything odd :)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3676409/
raixel

Post by raixel »

Hahaha, you rolled 10 and sunglasses?!

Growlgra's eyes grow wide as he realizes the implications of Sssil's miming. The small hunter drops into a crouch, growling slightly at his torn side, and pulls a knife.

Nihss frowns at the barghest's words, and so does Growlgra. "She says the darkness still be on the blood of your friend. Be making sense I guess." he tells Sssil.

Indeed, to Urrffrah's sensitive nose, the smell of dark mana is overpowering around the trail Sssil found leading away from the wrecked wagon. There is also the smell of lizar, gore, and grahhssk. Different lizar than the one that was laying here earlier. But the smell of dark mana and death is so overpowering compared to everything else that the barghest cant really tell where it leads.

"Lets be moving on. We cant be helping the caravan now. The best we can be doing is finding where this leads." Nihss says firmly.

Ssssil finds trail sign easily. Apparently those who had come to this area were convinced that they left no sign, for after about 100 feet of following minescule blood spots and crushed plants through the swamp, the tracker starts to find tracks of at least two lizar. Judging by the ocassional blood spots and strange dragging marks, they are carrying a heavy, gory load. The trail winds deeper and deeper into the swamp, skirting most of the game trauils to cut a path directl y through the overgrowth.

Urrffrah walks with her pack. She can still smell the death smell, although as they walk, the bad mana smell gets overpowering, cauisng her nose to tingle, and stranely reminding her of someplace....someplace... The memory fades, and she is left with just a general feeling of unease.

The trail Sssil is following leads into a small muddy clearing. Up against a tree on one side there is the impression of something having layed there, as well as blood pools and bits of gore. Sssil peers around the area and finds what looks like bits of twisted black string, a bone needle, a lump of reddish dye, and four black melted pools of some kind, perhaps wax.

Urrffrah smells the area. The feeling of wrongness comes from this spot, right here. The strange indent in the ground and weird items Sssil finds half buried in the mud make her instinctively want to bare her teeth and growl.

Growlgra scans the area, knife out, when he senses the barghest's uneasiness. Nihss peers over at the items Sssil found and hisses an indrawn breath. "I know not what those be, but it be meaning nothing good. Red and black be the colors of death-magic..." Anything else the young lizar was going to say is interrupted by a crashing sound outside of the clearing, in the direction the party was travelling. It is close enough that it isnt too far away, and really loud as if something is moving through the wilderness and not even attempting to hide their passage.

Growlgra snarls and turns toward the sound, glancing over at Sssil and Urrffrah.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I guess that check...ended up being a cross 8) *yeah!* Cause it was a spot check...and it ended up 10...X in roman numerals...and...checks and crosses for good and bad...and ... I'll get me coat *runs*

And yeah, it was an 8 with a braket afterwards :p
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Urrffrah changes form again, just for a moment, in order to speak once more.
"Bad zzhmell...evv-ree-werrr." she cautions. "Mmay-bee...bad ones...mmayde...bad crrreee-chuh. Bad izzhh...herrre."
She points toward the spot where the strange items lay in the mud, then shifts back to her natural form as it feels stronger and less vulnerable than her goblin shape.

Translation -
Spoiler
"Bad smell everywhere. Maybe bad ones made bad creature. Bad is here."

Does someone want to ask Nihss if it's possible for the Chaos followers to rez creatutres as undead beasties or something? ;)