OOC thread!

Forum to run play-by-post RPG games based on Dungeon Master! Warning: These games may have mature themes or language.
CURRENT GAME: Raixel's 3.5ed D&D game

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: OOC thread!

Post by ian_scho »

Been busy too. It's 11pm and I've just finished sending my work to the production server... Hopefully quieter tomorrow.

@raixel : Will be away to Girona (yeah, whatever) all this weekend starting Friday. Blame the missus.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

Well now its July 4th. For those of you who might not know, thats the day in celebration of my ancestors (well, not really, I'm 1st generation on my moms side and like 3rd on my dads except for the native part that was here long before buncha white dudes showed up ;)) told you guy's ancestors off, and then kicked their asses. Or something. So even though they made fireworks illegal, you can still buy them on native reservations, of which there is a LOT in the state I live in. Theres some irony there... Anyway, alcohol, food, and explosives. Yay!

Updates tomorrow!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Happy independance day! (sussin' frussin' russin' ungrateful whippersnappers..! :D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Happy July the 4th. Disfrutar las fiestas.
raixel

Post by raixel »

Its not so much what the races on the world call it as what the players call it. Its just so I can say "on (worldname)" without having to say "the planet" or "the earth". Cuz the planet just sounds dumb, and the Earth/Terra is the name of our planet. And like you said, Ameena, I'm assuming that whatever it ends up being named would be the human's name for it, with other races having their own names.

If you look at ancient human cultures on Earth, most of them call themselves in their own language something that translates to "the people" or "the people (of something)". And they call other people "not us" or "not people" or "the people of (something else)", depending on how much contact the group has with another group and how friendly their relations are. Calling a group/race of people by what they call themselves is a relatively recent invention as far as human history. And as far as what people call where they live, most of them had no concept of a planet, and many tribal cultures had no concept of the land and the people as being something seperate. Usually the land's name and concept was taken out of ancient myths of the people.
And yeah, in DM the humans at least believe everything came from the same place, including the High Lords (although lizar believe Makanasshht altered them to thrive in the lands he built for them) - whether this is true is just a matter of myth, its very possible that the Grey LOrd has his own inscrutable raesons for not correcting Theron if this was wrong, especially since in my world, the Grey Lord is a bit different. But still, that makes it possible that the world-name is similar.

It doesnt really matter though, I just want osmething to call it. And "Zark" sucks. It sounds like Zork, which makes me think it should be actually called Frobozz!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

What about "the world", then? ;) Anyway, yeah, I'm not too fussed about what other people call the world, since IC I'll probably never be calling it by that name anyway. Urrffrah doesn't really have a concept of multiple worlds existing - she thinks there's just the one, and that wherever she came from is just really far away, though I hope that's come across already in her thoughts ;).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I could see the lizar name being a derivation/addition of Zaangaard, and basically meaning 'Zaangaard border' - ie, everything and everyone else comes from soem border area to Zaangaard, and the whole world is just Zaangaard and her border :)

Perhaps the bika is a derivation of 'plain' meaning 'larger plane' and the name for the multiverse being a word meaning 'all plains'. Which is, of course, just funny that we have two different words in english/common that mean different things but sound the same - hence the bika would assume everyone has the same philosophy there

For some reason the word 'Frostbane' comes to mind fopr the world, no idea why really :)
raixel

Post by raixel »

Beo commented in him and Ameena's thread about the worm life cycle, so here's a little anecdote about why I think parasite stuff is so cool.

When i was like 9 I grabbed a locust (we used to catch them as there is lots in my dad's field, and then play with them, feed them to other bugs or juts look at them as some are really neat colored like shiny black and red or green, yellow and black. I was such a tomboy as a kid that all my friends were guys, and until I was about 12 I wore my hair short spikey and with a long rat-tail that was popular in the late 80s-early 90s). it was moving strangely and easy to catch. Locusts bite and the big ones kick hard enough to hurt, so you'd have to grab them by their jumping legs so you could do fun stuff to them like drop them in ant's nests or on black widow webs. Anyway, this locust's chitin in between its head and thorax started moving weirdly, as if something was pushing its way out from inside. Suddenly a white maggot looking head popped out. I yelled and dropped it and the neighbor boy I hung out with all the time ran over and we both sat there watching this inch long larvae wiggle out. I remembr both of us being horrified and going "WTF, wow" at the same time. Thus, a lifelong fascination was born)! I didnt know what it was for years until I posted this same story somewhere else and someone told me its a type of grasshopper/locust hunting wasp native to the desert I grew up in. Its also why Alien was one of my fav movies when I was a kid. So yeah, this campaign seems to have a lot of weird parasitic stuff in it. I didnt plan it that way, and it isnt a usual feature of my campaigns, but for some reason it just sees to fit with what is going on during the second rise of disbalance. :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Finally back (for a while) to a normal life, just got a chance to catch up on the other thread. Good stuff, amazing what you can learn about goblin boobs. And Sssil distrusting Westian...tut, tut. I am so going to illegally use that player knowledge to bully Sssil when we meet up. :D (joking, of course!)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, I can't wait for the dour Artaxes to meet the shy Sssssil :D It's been a little weird to interact with your old character without you behind it! I wonder if you'll ever meet yourself?
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

At least I know that Westian cannot be killed since he made it to Time's Champions (unless the wibbley wobbley what-cha-ma-callit time stuff means that it was in a parallel universe!). But it is interesting seeing him still in action!

Yes, looking forward to meeting Sssil and Urrffrah. It is, as has been said before, a strange group of companions!

As for the name of the world, I was thinking something in the area of balance. The Grey Lord embodies balance, and his raven is called fulcrum (which I only got just now!). So something like "Libra". Although that is a bit close to Libralsus (which makes no sense, since one of the themes of the story was that he was definitely not balanced). Or "Harmonia", but that sounds awful and more like a place where Care-Bears would live.

Well if Libra doesn't work, maybe Greek would be better. Apparently balance in Greek is "Isorropia". That would be my suggestion, for what it is worth!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I like Isorropia! If not for the whole world, perhaps for the continent all this is happening on :) And Librasulus could just be deluded in to thinking he was bringing back balance/order when he was actually going to swing the pendulum the other way!

And raixel, that is a cute and disturbing story in equal measures! Your facination makes the game come alive in very creepy ways, so no complains :D

Edit: Forgot to say OB, Police Squad and Airplane are indeed cool :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ian, regaridng combat reflexes - you cannot make multiple AoOs based on the same action/type of action. So for example, if someone is moving passed you, you can only strike them once, not multiple times (not even once per square of movement as they run passed you). I almost made the same mistake for a blackskull against you guys, luckily I double checked!

However, the feat does ensure that even if you AoO against one opponent, others can't then start grappling, etc with impunity. And you can target the same opponent for different actions (ie strike them before a disarm, then strike them when they run away)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Ah hah. So if TWO lizar's ran past her then... It'd be a sweet fist under the chin for both of them?
raixel

Post by raixel »

Yup. And I dig Isorropia! If everyone is agreed that its cool, that is the name of our world!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, I don't mind - like I said, Urrffrah doesn't care if some people say that the world has a name, only that she lives in it ;).
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Sounds good to me!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Mum's down until Tuesday. Shouldn't affect anything except Tuesday, where it is likely I will be put all day, right to bed, and then up out to work. So Assume no post on Tuesday and then back to normal :)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Afraid folks that I am disappearing again, it will be Monday week before I am back. Sorry...if it makes you feel any better I am not enjoying these trips and they are disrupting lots of other things as well!

It is a bit long to expect you guys to wait, so go ahead. Raixel - Artaxes can take a back seat, and if anything is needed you probably know his character well enough now to know roughly how he would react!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

:(
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

:cry:

Don't worry, nothing too awful, just unpleasant and unwanted! This shoudl be the last one for a while!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

It's a bit of a swine if you have these trips without your young family.
raixel

Post by raixel »

K, OB, np. I'll just have Artaxes glare and occsionally pul his sword or something!

So, Ameena brought something up that never really occured to me, well actually it did but I appear to have misunderstood something

I was under the impression people in the UK used the same measuring system Americans do. Imperial or whatever, cuz you guys invented it. Then Ameena tells me she doesnt know it.

So. The problem is I dont know the Metric system at all. LIke I know Celsius decently, cuz my mom's French Canadian and uses it still and her cars thermomter was always in celsius when i was a kid. And I know a meter is around 3 feet, but not exactly(no idea if its smaller or bigger or by how much). And I remember in 8th grade I learned "a kilogram weighs about as much as an iron" and that a kilometer is way shorter than a mile and a centimeter is tiny. Oh, and I know grams and how to convert them to ounces (for reasons I will not disclose here! ;))

Thats literally it. Theres no way I can describe stuff in it cuz I think in feet and inches and stuff. And since in D&D its real important to know distance/measurements I'm kinda at a loss of what to do here.

I'm sure theres a conversion page out there somewhere. If everyone agrees that itd be easier if it was in metric i'll go convert it before I post it (in parentheses).Honestly, though, that would be kinda a pain to me, as I already spend a lot of time on this every day (not that Im complaining about that at all, this is the most fun game Ive ever run - just saying I dont wanna have to type everything up then go back and sort through all the measurements to convert them)

So i'm opening this for discussion. What does everyone think?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

10 feet = 3 metres. 1 inch = 2.5cm. I work in both, I'm better at large distances and weights in imperial. Ameena, stop being lazy and do the calcultions :p
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I tend to measure in metres for shorter distances, but then use miles instead of kilometres for longer distances. Dunno why...maybe 'cause that's sort of what happens here - people say stuff is however many miles from other stuff, rather than kilometres, and speed dials on cars (and speed limit signs and stuff) show m/hr instead of km/hr. I think a mile is 1.6km or something. I don't know the conversion rates or whatever you want to call them and generally prefer to avoid numbers wherever possible anyway, so I'd rather say something is "as tall as a two-storey building" or "about the size of a domestic cat" rather than give some kind of numeric measurement. That was what I meant when I referred to similies in the other post ;).

Post by raixel »

Well I just wanna make sure everyone knows what I mean when I say "the road is 28 feet wide" or "The Viborg forest is 460 miles across" or "the orc hanging on the end of the rope is 230lbs" or whatever. Because I cant explain it any other way without a lot of pain in the ass.

So, do people in the UK use Metric or Imperial/ Also, what on earth is a "stone" as far as weight? Do people still use it/
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

People often seem to use stones when weighing themselves, rather than kilograms. It seems a bit mixed up as to what people use to measure stuff here. Some people use Imperial, others use Metric. Some use a combination of both, like I do. But like I said, I find it much easier to picture something when compared to something else, rather than being given a number and then having to think how long that number is - even then I compare it to something, eg "my desk is a metre wide, therefore if this thing is five metres high, that's like five of my desk on top of each other, end to end" or whatever. Not that my desk is a metre wide (I think it's slightly wider) - that was just an example ;). I just don't have a very numerical brain, and find myself converting any such things into words or images.
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I suspect people in the uk are pretty used to both systems now... Some more familiar with one or the other. I recall that you weigh your veggies in ounces, but can't remember if I've spelt the work right! I work in both systems, so no problems here. I think pounds is the one that I use the least, in fact. I use stones and kilogrammes :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

A stone is 14lb. And there are 8 kilometers to 5 miles (whatever fraction that comes out at.

but most importantly, there are no cats in america, and the pavements are made of cheese
raixel

Post by raixel »

Wha? I always figured there was something between pounds and tons but I never knew what it was. Now that Ive encountered a measurement in Imperial Ive never used, I realize how silly the system actually is if you weren't raised using it. 14lbs, wtf? Why 14? And I don't like numbers either, I measure things in me-heights to figure out how long everything is (I am exactly 5 feet tall so its a nice even number).

My cat caught a mouse that got in my apt last night from the roof cuz I had my window open. Poor Fivel, he was soo misled :D