Character creation!

Archive forum for the new DM D&D game run by Raixel.

Moderators: Ameena, raixel

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Character creation!

Post by raixel »

So, lets get creating! This is a thread for a discussion of PC creation. (mostly to save my inbox from explosion). Post your character ideas here! Go ahead and use spoiler tags if you want your char's info to be hidden from the other players. So, we need at least one fighter-type one rogue type, and a magic user and cleric-type. Races are completely open, but keep in mind if your race is very powerful it will have either a 'monster' class to progress thru (ala savage species) or be a 'weaker' member of the race to keep it close to core race levels. Also, if you want a variant class, i can work that out as well as I have many different d20 books with rules for variant core classes. Just give me your general idea and I'll dig through my books and see if I can make it happen (Of course I knew this game would start right when I was doing a major restructuring of my bookshelves and DnD library, but no biggie ;))
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: Character creation!

Post by ian_scho »

Blimey, didn't even see the "Raixel's D&D game" until right now... Less time on this new project :(

Will think of someone I promise. Will check out the rest of the items here now first though!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol took me a few days to notice it too - I normally scroll straight past the top bit of this forum in order to get to the gaming posts below ;).
Naturally I've gone for something completely weird and awkward as my character :D. Haven't actually started making her yet as I'm not sure what rules I need to stick to which will be different from the normal ones (which in any case are in some places different to the ones I know so I'll need to read through the guide thingy in the book anyway ;)), but rest assured you're not gonna find out what she is until you actually meet her in-game :D.
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

With all the cool ideas for characters, maybe my human idea is to boring. I think instead I will go for an owlbear. He knows Westian because at first he only existed in his imagination.

No, not really. :) I think I will stick with a human. But maybe he will have a beard or something.

I was going planning to be a straight forward fighter, but that could depend on the other characters. The basic idea was a sergeant from some local militia. Lawful neutral, coming from a commoner family in Viborg.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Was thinking of having a human female monk (aka nun). I take it that we have thus far one ranger (Beo), one assassin (Ameena) and maybe a fighter (OhB) and a a human/werewolf hybrid (LoB)?... So no real spell casters then.... (And Money?)

What are we rolling raixel? I lost the plot in the other thread. Was it 4d6.takeHighest(3)?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I wouldn't describe my char as an assassin, particularly. It's not like she gets hired out to kill people. Um...she's more kind of...not physically very good at much that doesn't involve sneaking around, tracking people, and ripping bits off stuff :twisted:.
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

So is that your way of saying "she's gonna run around hacking peoples apart, and not caring who hears or sees it" :twisted:

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Nah, she won't be doing any hacking...and she probably will care who knows about it to the extent that she won't want more bad guys coming ;).
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Maybe not hacking... but I'm sure she'll do her share of stabbing :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
raixel

Post by raixel »

Hey OB, I dont find the idea of a human from Viborg boring. After all, a large chunjk of what ive been trying to focus on in this campaign is all of us fleshing out the DM world. So, a human from Viborg wouldnt be boring, as no one has played one yet. If it was your 10th 'human from viborg', I might wonder. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I mean the fact Westian's a half-elf doens't really come in to it as much as how cool a character he is. Same with Hyanuus, all the half-orc stuff is great, but the character would still be interesting as a big dumb human from somewhere.

I'm glad to be playing on your side fo the screen for a change, and have no less joy for you guys being a pair of wacky humans :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Or "whacky" humans, as the case may be ;).
Artisan

Post by Soaponarope »

oh_brother wrote:I think I will stick with a human. But maybe he will have a beard or something.
:lol: By the gods man, what is that strange thing on your face?

If everyone plays a "weird monster" race they aren't weird anymore. I remember visiting RP servers on Neverwinter Nights where every character was an archdemon, celestial or vampire. :roll: Ordinary humans can make for the most interesting characters sometimes because they must be defined by personality instead of race.

Anyways... I want to be a highly intelligent mustard jelly. :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

You could be highly intelligent, but I'm not sure jelly has vocal cords so how could you communicate your intentions (provided they went beyond "Oooh look, lunch, om nom nom!")? ;)
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

^^You could paint syllables on the floor, and the jelly could move to them in order to spell out a word. Or better yet draw them on travelling mat that could be rolled out in the dungeon every time he wanted to speak. :wink:

On a slightly different topic - are we going to put out a call to see if anyone else is interested in joining the game? I don't know how many people can be accommodated in the game. If it came down to it and there were more applicants that available slots then, even though I would like to play, I would be willing to give up my slot to a new player to allow rotation (tbh I doubt demand will be that high, but I still think we should put it in a topic where non-players will read).

And on another topic, is there any decision on how we roll these characters? 4d6 or 3d6? And has level 4 been decided on?
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It's 4d6 (and no rerolls) for stats, but I'm not sure our starting level - I've submitted the initial version of my character sheet to Raixel via PM as a Level 1, and will level up to the appropriate level once I know for sure what that is. I think it may be 4 but I'm not sure.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I think the level will be decided upon - possibly even the rolling mthod - after Raixel's seen my character in action for a little bit. I could be wrong.

Edit: I still say Raixel should put an edvert in her sig file :D
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

An "edvert"? There's another wonderful typo from the crazy fingers of Wuffy ;).
And Raixel told me to us 4d6 when rolling so I'm guessing that's what's been decided on...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

She might allow 3d6 if my character doens't tank her plans, though I'd still encourage everyone to use 4d6 (not cause I want powerful allies when my character is on the line, just cause I know how hard it is to balance straightly rolled characters on top of twisting D&D to DM!)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I hope it suddenly doesn't get changed to 3d6, 'cause I've already rolled mine up having been told to use 4d6 and all my stats came out pretty good except for one :P.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, it would never be only 3d6, Raixel is not unknind nor masochistic! I meant she might allow 3d6 as an alternative, or she might ban it outright.
raixel

Post by raixel »

I'm leaning towards 4d6 right now, although I am enjoying watching Sssil roll constant 3's and 4s on Sense Motive. :) It still could change though. Thats the whole point of this little campaign. I normally use 4d6, in order, swap allowed. I find that due to DCs, a char never becomes too powerful due to 4d6 as I just up the DCs of skill rolls to make it balance correctly. So say for examplw if I was playing a game with all 3d6ers, an av DC for a low-lev char on a straight ability might be 12, same DC for a 4d6 party would be 14. Thats the beauty of this system. Its adjustable.

And I dunno about calling out. It depends on how many people we've got in on it right now. Ive NEVER run a game with over 5 players, ever. Never mind in PbP.

How may people are planning on playig as of right now?
raixel

Post by raixel »

Ian- like the char. I normally dont allow monks as I believe a) they dont fit in D&D and b) are way overpowered (IMHO). However, I think that a monk would work as DMs ninja, sort of. And I like your char concept. So cool deal. Now, the question remains (and this goes for everyone not continuing the same char, people running the same char dont have to worry about this.) of tying in with the proto-plot.
Specifically, the story is going to start with the Temple of Larethian and other forest dwellers (pixies centaurs ect) being concerned about a chaotic taint spreading from certain areas of the forest, and corrupting things. The areas are where right before and during CSB, Chaos forces attacked.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

oh_brother wrote:^^You could paint syllables on the floor, and the jelly could move to them in order to spell out a word. Or better yet draw them on travelling mat that could be rolled out in the dungeon every time he wanted to speak.
Trekkie! I saw this one done before with James Tiberious Kirk in a mine.

Will try to think up a 'tie in' with the Temple of Larethian and the taint of chaotic.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Lol, not really! :D I was more thinking of that gorilla that could point to pictures to speak.

I never watched the old Star Trek, except some of the movies. I really liked (and still like) TNG though.
raixel wrote:How may people are planning on playig as of right now?

I am planning to play, but as I said if there is interest from a new player I will let them take my place.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Rofl hey Ian I was thinking of the Horta too when I saw that post...I just didn't mention it 'cause I forgot by the time I'd finished reading the post :P.
As for the game start point, well I dunno about fitting in with those poncy temple-types (;)), but I can certainly fit myself in with the more "natural world" area of things. Well, sort of. You know what I mean. Despite the nature of my character, given the kinds of places she'd be living I expect she'd start to notice if it seemed like something was up with the natural way of things in the area.
Just need your feedback on my char, Raix, and answers to a couple (well, ish ;)) of questions and then I'll try and level her up to whichever level you want us to be starting at :).

Post by raixel »

Sorry, Ive been kinda swamped as of late and havent been able to respond. Will get on that asap.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Oook!

Stats for new char (4d6.takeHighest(3)=10, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=12, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=14, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=8, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=12, 4d6.takeHighest(3)=16)

Now I have to fit this into her char sheet, a monk class. I assume the ability modifies are the same in dnd 3.5 and in d20org? I've put the -1 on INT instead if CHA, for roleplay purposes - all cultist grunts are stupid, right?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Indeedie. You'd got 2 +1, a +2 and a +3. Not too bad! and the 8 for intelligence doens't have to be stupid, it can be widly naive. Your character seems to have led an unsheltered life in some ways, but in terms of education and learning about the outside world, she seems to have been sheltered from it in a bad way :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

No worries Raix - you'll probably find that some of the questions in the first PM or two are sort of dealt with in the last one, which is where I got a bit bored and decided "sod it" and just went ahead and tried rolling up my character anyway ;). Lt me know if I've done anything wrong, and of course there's still a couple of bits need sorting out (there's plenty of spammage of questions in the proto-character-sheet I've done as well).