Escape from Dragon Mountain

A forum for discussing the modern clone "Legend of Grimrock", by Almost Human.

Moderator: PetriH

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Same problem here, but my card very much supports OpenGL. It very well may be something in your OGL code. I've seen similar things in the demo scene (IX, for example).

WinXP Pro Corp (sp2)
Biostar M7NCD Pro (nForce)
Athlon 1.8 GHz
512 MB RAM
GF4 Ti 4600 (128 MB)
SBLive!

Those screenshots look way bad-ass compared to the original demo. I'm eager to check it out.
_
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

hmm must be one of those problems that has to do with different computer types...At least that's what i'm seeing since I used to have problems like this..

might be just some wierd configuration or something who knows..
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I tried it and it ran fine for me, specs are Twin P3-700 with 384mb Ram and a GEForce 2mx 32mb.

Nice looking demo, needs to be a bit brighter like someone else mentioned but very nicely done indeed.

Keep up the good work.
Regards,

Andy
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Thread topic

Post by PetriH »

Hey,

Is it possible to rename the topic of this thread to "Escape from Dragon Mountain"? Or should we start a new thread once the new version is out?

Post by Guest »

when this game will release ?? i try demo it's fantastic
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Hmm it has been awhile bur this happend before and PetriH ended up rising from the dead....

to sum it up I don't think there is a release date planned but the game may be done someday...
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

AMD Atlhon64 3000+
2gb ddr-ram 400mhz
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro Gold 256mb (256bit)
SoundBlaster Live! (16bit)
WinXP Pro sp2
DirectX 9.0c

Worked fine with me ;)
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Hello PetriH,

too bad your site is down at the moment. Would you mind posting if the project is still alive? I really consider it the best modern 3d variation of DM. I'm 30 years old and the screamers scared the sh** out of me like the mummies did back in 88 on my Amiga!! Hats off!!!

A couple of suggestions:

- more of those great fx and surprises! :)
- I liked the choking and coughing from screamer spores. More of that great interaction atmosphere!
- different dungeon tiles and door types (I'm sure you've thought of that...)
- higher ceilings and perhaps an ancient city built into the mountain? Could be nicely done with your current engine.
- long monsters like giant snakes that can bend around the corner would be a great thing

Some game playing issues:

- mouse look is ok, but everything should be controllable in the old-fashioned way (as mentioned in earlier posts)
- ambidextrous attacks :-)

Final suggestion:
- Please complete it soon! ;-)

PLEASE keep up the good work! It will pay off!!

Trakl
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Ok, I solved the demo, here's my final stats:

- 1h 13min 15s (didn't dare to jump into the pit...)
- 23/23 Monsters - 6/7 treasures (I wonder what and where No. 7 would have been...)
- all party members survived

I discovered a weird gfx anomaly: after killing a monster, it becomes transparent and starts to flicker.
My system:

CPU: Transmeta 5800 (?), it's a laptop. 256MB RAM, gfx card: SiS 315_315E (apparently works fine with the engine, except for the gfx bug)

Trakl
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

And here's more suggestions for the future:

- I really liked the spell system of dungeon master. Perhaps, you could add four boxes above the attack buttons, but only ONE Spell-Box. This way it is more realistic, in realtiy you could never "Prepare" a spell that is cast with syllables. So only one spell at a time could be prepared.

- I thought on the snake thing and came up with a possibly cool feature: if giant snakes could bundle together into an even more giant snake, like a hydra. The smaller snakes could attack grouping around the party, or attack as one from one side effectively

Well, just some thoughts....

Trakl
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'm impressed by what I've read, and since I'm a DM addict, I would like to know what happenned to the DM 2000 website and project.
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

still alive

Post by PetriH »

It's been a while since my last post! I've been quite busy for the last year or so (with other things in my life), so the progress has been extremely slow.

But don't worry, the project has not been forgotten! On the contrary, I would really like to finish this beast one day, but it will just take a lot of time with the current pace.

To those who have been wondering what happened to our website: well, the old site was more like a temporary home for the project (as you might have guessed from the front page). A new site will be set up when the next version is released (the date is not set).

About what has happened since the last release:

For starters, the game has been rewritten for Microsoft's Direct3D API. Most likely you won't notice the difference, although the game is now a little faster and more compatible with different display hardware. However, in the future this change allows for higher quality special effects to be displayed on newer hardware.

On the content side we have two new monsters and some new equipment in the works, thanks to our new talented artist, Olli. Some streamlining has also been done to the front-end.

A new level or two might also make to the next release.. Details omitted, I don't want to spoil the suprise!

That's it for now.. Patience please.
phlux
Neophyte

Post by phlux »

damn, can't wait to see the new release as I stumbled over this clone by accident, unfortunately the site is down (no chance to get the tech demo anymore :cry: ) nevertheless the screenshot impressed me much.
My first thought after seeing this 404 of your webpage was, oh no pls don't let this project be abandoned, but after this post I'm eased that this project is still alive. Keep the work up guys, can't wait to see more of these good looking results :)
Trakl
Journeyman

Post by Trakl »

Too bad the Project is down at the moment. I'd love to see some results of the latest developements.
O pleaaaazzze! Just one Level, new Monsters and a save option ;-)
MacCurtis

Where to Download

Post by MacCurtis »

Hi, I have searched everywhere to get this demo, does anyone know if it is still available as i would love to try it out.
Skip
Neophyte

Post by Skip »

I wish all the best on the developers for this one! It looks great in that last test shot - as a developer myself I know how much effort and time goes into making a project, this one is very tempting looking to play!

Does anyone know the filename of the last test so we can try to find it elsewhere?
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

I downloaded it once, maybe if I can find it I could provide it in P2P...
Don't let a closed door stop you
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

I too would like to have ago at this game/demo, I have read great things about it and played it once (very briefly), but I dont seem to have it installed anymore. If you have the file can you make it available please ... thanks.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Does anyone have this for download ?

Thanks.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I just uploaded it to my website but my shitty host has messed up the server and trashed my domain configuration, so the site isn't working. I'll post a link when it's fixed.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Great thanks.
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Great. I want to try out the demo myself.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

EDIT: Dead link removed.
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Thankyou. I will take a look ...
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I must say... it's impressive... Although the fighting IS v.hard
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

Great achievement, very nice motion on the walking (although I cant play it too long because I start to feel sick). Ultra cool demo ... can I ask what happened to this clone, why did the development stop ?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

they have claimed in the past after long pauses like this that it had not stopped but rather was still going, they just had real life to deal with. They are all professionals.. I think they worked for Mad onion? .. anyway..

The project is still going forward most likley.. just we won't see anything for a while. There has been as much as a year between posts before.

I also agree the body movement was a bit exaggeated but very nice. I think if it was very subtle it would be nice.
colinpal
Neophyte

Post by colinpal »

Is this still available?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not at the moment, I am transferring things to a new host and it's all gone tits up.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, you can now get EFDM from this link:

http://dmweb.free.fr/Stuff/files/efdm/efdm.zip