Escape from Dragon Mountain

A forum for discussing the modern clone "Legend of Grimrock", by Almost Human.

Moderator: PetriH

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
petrih3
Novice

Escape from Dragon Mountain

Post by petrih3 »

Hi,

I'm developing a new DM clone called 'Dungeon Master 2000' (just a project name - the final game will not be called this).

EDIT: This project is now called 'Escape from Dragon Mountain' - B.

EDIT: The demo can be downloaded from this shared OneDrive in the Clones folder. File: efdm.zip

Screenshot:
<a href="http://www.hut.fi/~phakkine/dm2000.html ... 00.html</a>

PC executable (needs OpenGL capable 3D accelerator):
<a href="http://www.hut.fi/~phakkine/dm2000/dm20 ... 000.zip</a>

This is just a prototype, but I'm already working on a more advanced version with monster AI and such.

Now is your change to affect how this project turns out;
criticism, ideas, everything is very welcome!

I'd like to hear how would you like to have the battle system
implemented? Would you prefer the original DM style with icons and stuff or simple interface like in most current 3D first person games?

What about spells?

Also, about the level architecture.. would you prefer diagonal passageways, or more compilicated structures like bridges, stairs, slopes etc.?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

it's great..

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'm not sure if you were able to send a message to my email.. collegeclub seems to be a pain in the butt these days.. it's been blocking a lot of my mail from newsgroups without my asking it to and it seems to take about 4 attempts to send an email.

anyway, the main reason I wanted to talk to you about it is because there are others working on similar things right now.. it's sorta like reinventing the wheel as it were.. I figured that should you be interested, that the project could be expanded to allow for more than just one head to take on the work.

I'm not really allowed to make statements in public right now as to who and what the details are since it's a closed project ATM (taking input but not releasing info yet). However I can say that I have two other programers and a few artists as well as musicians who have interest in such a project as well as a small company who might be interested in taking it to a marketable level.

I'm not sure if you are interested in something like that since you haven't said anything either way about it.. however feel free to be blunt.. :)
petrih3
Novice

Re: it's great..

Post by petrih3 »

Thanks for the offer but I don't think I have enough time or interest to make it commercial. Moreover I don't see it could be a commercial success being kinda old fashioned and all.

I'm already working on some commercial software projects, and DM2000 is just intended to be a fun/freetime project of mine and a couple of my friends working in the industry.

But on the otherhand I do not want to say a define no at this point. I mean it's too early to say anything. Let's see how the game looks after a couple of iterations...

--Petri Häkkinen
MadMunky
Adept

Rulez!

Post by MadMunky »

Man this rulez keep up the good work! (Is multiplayer support a future option?) :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

hmmm

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well, I can understand the issues about free time.

Each one of the people I was reffering to have a "real" Job they have to go to. I'm a Lab supervisor for digital animation at the college I work, one of the other guys goes to school fulltime in computerscience annother guy is working fulltime at a games company etc etc etc.

So the idea is we put what we can into the project when we can and not sacrifice our own jobs in the process. Each member so far is a dependable worker unlike some other projects I got involved in.

From what we have been doing so far I think that it would be possible to make a commercial game from it. what needs to be known are the aspects that make it possible.

Ok I'll give you a basic bit of info on it.. the plan that is

*full3D (obviously)
*new spell system with advanced options for enchantment etc...
*single player with NPC companions
*indoor and outdoor environments with a larg map
*lots of pretty effects..
*it's not a DM Clone but has elements from DM

anyway, there you have it. The basics I can't say more than that. even that may have been mare than I should have but I don't think it gives too much away.

there are far more fans of this genre than you can imagine. Games that are similar to this are being produced all the time.. however not too many use DM as a template (which is a shame) but they have a good deal of firstperson CRPG's on the market.

Cheers
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

side note

Post by cowsmanaut »

I guess I should mention that it's not so much about mney as it is about seeing the project actually make it to the publishing stage without the big company over our heads.
petrih3
Novice

Re: Rulez!

Post by petrih3 »

We haven't planned multiplayer support, at least not yet... I think we'll go for nice story and good gameplay instead - nice stories are hard to create in multiplayer environment IMO
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

yeah

Post by cowsmanaut »

much harder to contain the story when you have so many people poking around. Most CRPG's require you to follow a set of events to the final conclusion.. in order to support multiple players you need multiple sets of story elements to serve each person with their own set.. far too much work and planning to make it work..

I guess that's why most multiplayer games don't really bother..
Zyx
DSA Master

Great

Post by Zyx »

I wish you luck, Drake!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

no news?

Post by cowsmanaut »

I guess I'll address 2 things.. one: ZYX this is not my project I was only telling him about a side project he was envited to join.. I don't want to steal his thunder here as this is fairly impressive at it's current state.

two: is there no news on where you are now? How many of you are working on the project..

drake
petrih3
Novice

Re: no news?

Post by petrih3 »

>> two: is there no news on where you are now? How many of you are working on the project..

I have to setup a website for the project once we get the next prototype done :) In the meanwhile here's some info:

There are 4 guys working on the project:

Petri Häkkinen (that's me) - coding
Mikko Kallinen - coding
Saku Lehtinen - level design
Markus Kaarlonen - music, sound effects

All of us are working in the software industry, so our time is very limited (as a sidenote, all of us are also in demo group called 'maturefurk'). Every now and then we try to make a crunch for this hobby project (that is, build the next prototype). Personally I'm very enthusiastic about the project and hopefully the others are too.

About the current state of the project: what you have seen, is very old prototype using an old 3D engine (originally made for demo called Lapsus). The latest version of DM2000 has a complete new engine which enables animated objects (monsters & level addons), optimized level rendering and 3D sound with EAX support. We have a mapeditor for building level geometry, but in the current version, it is not yet possible to place monsters and items into the level.

todo next: monster/item placement, crude monster ai, preliminary battle system, make a test level, release proto2!
MadMunky
Adept

Multiplayer

Post by MadMunky »

If you ever think about multiplayer support then I highly recommend you take a look at the game bloodwych its the best multiplayer game ive ever played and the levels are just amazing!

<a href="http://classicgaming.com/bloodwych/">cl ... odwych/</a>
steveb
Novice

Cool

Post by steveb »

Hi petrih3

I was planning on working on my own 3D engine Dungeon Master but after seeing your game I'm extremely impressed. The lighting and fireball effects really blew me away. I too work in the games industry (in the UK) and am looking at 3D work for my next project. I'm currently working on GameBoy Advance stuff at the moment. I'd love to help you out in my spare time if you'll have me. I'm a C/C++ programmer and I know OpenGL which is what your engine is written in I think. I have lot's of ideas that will really enhance the game playability wise. I'd much rather help you guys than start reinventing the wheel on my own. I'm interested in this purely from a hobby point of view and I'm not interested in getting it published or anything like that. Hope to hear from you soon.

Steve B
(Programmer - Creations)
Skizzo
Neophyte

Journey back in time

Post by Skizzo »

Yeah - my all time favourite (and my very 1st RPG also) now in 3D! That seriously kicks some ass... I'm here standing in awe.
Jake
Neophyte

Great Demo!

Post by Jake »

DM2K, great demo!
Comments:

The way characters moved was a bit stressful. Maybe instead of RightClick Lookaround, RightClick MoveCursor might work better?
Also, characters should move slower. (I like the rocking effect... feels like i'm mooooving :)
In my opinion, the game will be too much like quake puzzle if the characters move too fast.

Maybe:
Change the view to character overhead? (You can finally see Hulk choppin the screamer !?)
or Show the hands of front row men? (sorta like Hexen?)

For Future:
In my personal opinion, it would be AWESOME, IF, gargoyles could turn from STONE, water elements could rise up from water, Spiders can crawl on the wall, ghosts can come out of a skelton? (You are making us wonder what could happen because your demo was SOOO GOOD!)

Please keep up the good work!
- Jake
SKAN
Neophyte

YOU DA MAN!!!

Post by SKAN »

WHATTT?!!? Are you really the *almighty* Maturefurk? The genius minds behind Lapsuus, the winners of Assembly 01? The Amiga Masters, the new millennium heroes? No, not joking. You showed us what an "obsolete hardware" (or so they say...) can still do. You kick asses indeed!!! And now you tell me you're behind DM2000. And even you started it with 3D engine from Lapsus! Just a request: if it goes OpenGL, why not a Mac version? It would be nice... especially for a BIG DungeonMaster fan (like me) working on a Mac for graphics/DTP (always me...). Cheers!!! Keep on rockin'!!!
SKAN
Neophyte

Map editor & more

Post by SKAN »

I think it would be cool if the original .dat files and savegames could be loaded into DM2K. Can you imagine the original DM maps and Chaos Strikes Back ones into a COOL 3D environment? WOW!!! An editor such as DMute or Cartographer is welcomed too!!!
MandelbrotJulia
Neophyte

Re: Map editor & more

Post by MandelbrotJulia »

I just played the demo. I'm very impressed. It's not unlike certain Agetec games (king's Field is my all-time favorite). I also love Dungeon Master for the SNES ( I just found out that it was for other platforms as well). The last post from Petrih3 was several months ago, so I'm hoping you guys haven't abandoned the project. <p>"M-O-O-N, that spells King's Field"</p>
petrih3
Novice

still alive & kicking!

Post by petrih3 »

Just wanted to pop in and inform you that the project is still alive and kicking. The current version is a totally rewrite over the old one and it allows doors, pressure pads, switches etc.. Also sounds are supported nowadays.

I'll release a new version as soon as I can get some new graphics from the artists (no idea when that's gonna happen though).

If you have any ideas / comments now's your chance! Especially I'd like to get some ideas how to implement the game mechanics such as fighting, experience system, etc. For example if you know what kind of stats different weapons & armors had in the original DM, could you share that info please?

--Petri
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: still alive & kicking!

Post by beowuuf »

You might also want to post on the DM Encyclopaedia too. You can see the ratings assigned in DM Java through the editor, but of course that is just one DM enterpretation : )

The only thing that bugged me with DM was the fighting, in that you were stuck with toe to toe or two step dancing. A 3-D environment obviously frees monsters and the player to move more, use more tactics in combat. It would nice to see the monster AI deal with combat positioning i nthis..for example all monsters tryign to form a certain shape around the player - for example 6 knights in an area would always try to move into a hexgon shape, while 6 wasps might just swarm and fill a 30 degree cone infront of the character all the time
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
steveb
Novice

DM3D

Post by steveb »

Petrih3

I take it you don't need any help on the project as you've not responded to my offer. I've also started a 3D Dungeon Master game using all the latest 3D technologies like bump mapping, proper shadows and per pixel lighting. Hopefully I'll be releasing an early demo sometime in the next few weeks. I'm developing it using a GeForce 3 Titanium 200 card so it's looking good. I just think it would be better if we joined forces seeing as we're both working towards the same goal. Let me know what you think.
petrih3
Novice

Re: DM3D

Post by petrih3 »

Steve,

Sorry for not answering you last time. I was going to, but I seem to have forgotten. I would like to continue this discussion offsite - my email address is petrih@madonion.com.
Indeed, some kind of co-op would be very nice. At least we could share some ideas, if not code.

Looking forward to hear from you soon,

--Petri
matras
Neophyte

i luv to waitin

Post by matras »

what a great work !!!! ^_^
i hope it's will be the great dungeon game.
the true is i'm from indonesia (i cannot buy it here, so i download it thanks to all :P )and i have been played the dungeon master. and i luv it (although at the first i tought DM is D&D T_T, but then i know that i'm wrong, or it's true) but i still luv it. and i'm waiting for your masterpiece (DM2k) i hope i can get one when it get published. by the way .... keep workin man whatever it will be (seems rough) because i'll be waitin for it. Ganbatte Janai....m( ' _ ' )m
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

hmm

Post by cowsmanaut »

Madonion? I know one of your artists! Janne.. well, he's not working with you right now though.. but he did. Anyway, was just thinking.. what a small world.

Love the 3dmark stuff to BTW
Rostislav Lithuania
Neophyte

My opinion

Post by Rostislav Lithuania »

I downloaded your project ~4 months ago from the french site, that was dedicated to the Dungeon Master and FTL, and my impression is very optimistic - you MUST fully develop your DM 2000 because it is in real 3D, and this 3D can give to your game vast areas to explore. I think, it is very important for the game's playability. On the other hand, the game must not be "overloaded" (all modern rpg/action games has this disadvantage) by systems of skills, useless things, silly plots... Just try to do your best and try to give to the game the atmosphere of dark, wet and cold dungeons :) .
The best examples are: 1) "The Dungeon Master" (1988 :) ) for its incredible atmosphere of dungeons, for the useful :) items in the game.
2) "The Russian Roulette 2"
(1998, action game) for its real FREEDOM of actions, big and interesting 3D-worlds.
P. S. If my english is bad - sorry, I'll try to study english better...
Best Regards! Rostislav@takas.lt
joueurfou
Neophyte

when ???

Post by joueurfou »

When comes out this " dungeon master 2000 " ?

I sugger that you make a combat style like actual game" morrowind " or ancien " hexen "

Post by Guest »

hello anyone here?

is dungeonmaster 2000 dead?
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Im not to sure about DM2000 I havent heard anythink about it, so as far as i can tell that project is dead but if someone know somethink i dont really free to correct me :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

was talking to a friend of mine who knows them. Said it's not quite dead as far as he knows. He thinks that they just take some breaks from it here and there.

I'm pretty sure it's advanced a little further than that demo.. they just have not shared with anyone yet.

What I will say though.. is don't hold your breath for anything new from this for a while. They like many others have full lives.. it's a matter of finding the time to work on it.

moo
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

New version out now!

Post by PetriH »

Hello everyone!

I'm proud to announce that the new version of "DM2000" is now out :D
The game has changed quite a bit during the last couple of years, I hope you like the changes.

The latest version can be found at:
www.teamtapiola.com/efdm

Actually, the game is now called "Escape from Dragon Mountain" (DM2000 was just a project name after all). If you have links to DM2000, please change them to point to the new location.

Please read the readme.txt before running the game!

--Petri H

ps: the game requires lots of processing power to run properly, if you have problems please consult the readme file before posting here!