Legend of Grimrock

A forum for discussing the modern clone "Legend of Grimrock", by Almost Human.

Moderator: PetriH

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Kid_A
Apprentice

Re: Legend of Grimrock

Post by Kid_A »

Thx ene for this mod. :)

I also recommend the mod Forbidden Halls.

The challenge is really hard. :twisted:
Lots of puzzle and secrets. A really nice mod !
èné
Apprentice

Post by èné »

Kid_A wrote:Thx ene for this mod. :)
No problem :wink:
Kid_A wrote:I also recommend the mod Forbidden Halls.

The challenge is really hard. :twisted:
Lots of puzzle and secrets. A really nice mod !
Will give it a go. It already was on my 'to play mods' list :)

For all DM aficionados, i can't recommend enough The Master Key. This is the very first dungeon i played that has the feel of DM. All is not perfect though, at first i didn't like it that much, too many fights, too many valuable items, you can see he grabbed some puzzles from the original DM, but for some reasons, the more i played it, the more i had that feeling to retrieve a familiar smell, DM's.. It's getting better and better as you progress. There's only one level i don't like but the last levels are all good (at least i enjoyed a lot), very immersive. It has 9 levels btw. But it's not boring. If Mine of Malan Vael=originality, The Master Key = authenticity. Both are excellents anyway

Ah yes, the creator's been making a sequel : The Chaos Key :lol: -coming soon (hopefully)
germanny
Novice

Post by germanny »

LoG is really great, and use the editor isn´t soo hard. It is harder to create new assets, because you have to use a 3d-modeler beside a paintprogram.
The mod 'back into the dungeon' - the DM remake, will use my wallset in short time, so it will look and feel more like DM, too!
Items are already and will reproduced, and monsters will come from time to time, it is a long hard task!

Grimrock is worth the money for me, but needs a modern pc, a P4 may a bit low.
èné
Apprentice

Post by èné »

Chaos key is out..

he looks like his bro :lol:
èné
Apprentice

Post by èné »

MUMMY :

DRAGONS :

blue=ice
red=fire
green= either poison cloud / air magic (thunderbolt)

2 of each +1 green pc + 1 green am = 6 dragons in the same (huge) room; you don't have to kill them, only the little one (Phew !). Also to note is that they move pretty fast.
germanny
Novice

Post by germanny »

Dungeon Master wallset Released! Yeah^^

Germanny´s Dungeon Master Wallset -- Modding resource, wallset with items included.
DL: The Dungeon Master Wallset at Grimrock Nexus
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Congrats, Germanny
germanny
Novice

Post by germanny »

Thx, all dm stuff will appear into it. A matter of time..^^
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Finished LoG, enjoyed it a lot. There is something about these kind of games that I had forgotten: how immersive they can be if done well. It reminds me of DM when I played it first. Isometric or over-the-shoulder camera rpgs I believe are far more immersive in terms of plot, but first-person coupled with the lack of a tactical pause function compensates by giving a real feeling of immediacy. I found myself getting nervous at points in the game, e.g. when I first saw the
Spoiler
flying-fire-in-armour guys
, or when I tried to run and hide from some creature. Even knowing I could reload did not change that.

Magic was done well, though I would have preferred a wider range of spells to choose from (you are pretty much limited to two attack spells for a given mage).
The ending was very good, I enjoyed the
Spoiler
combination of a fight with a puzzle

So well worth the money, looking forward to LoG2.
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I can't download Germanny's DM/CSB Wallset Pack. It keeps telling me there's a problem with the file server...

EDIT:
Error
The site has run in to a problem, please look at the error message below...

Download down
Sorry, it seems like this file server is struggling with this file at the moment. Please try downloading the file from another file server.

Note: if this is happening on all the file servers there could be a problem! Head to the forums and let us know!

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Does anybody have a link for me? :P

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

After going through all the other servers, it was finally the Seattle server that let me have the file... it was literally the last one I tried :(

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Magica
Journeyman

Post by Magica »

please send us the adress , and can we add it her to download it from this site please ..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

We don't have the bandwidth to host large files like that. You'll need to download it from the source(s) provided.
germanny
Novice

Post by germanny »

Problems with DL? I dont have that. Mysterious..
Well, i can host it for a period on my own space, if some people have serious trouble downloading on nexus.

Some news:
I have recreated mostly all items from DM!
But first use will be in 'back into the dungeon' mod with the wallset.
A new Version of the mod should appear this month on nexus.
After that - a bit later - i will release an updated version of the DM wallset.
germanny
Novice

Post by germanny »

Comscript released the DM dungeon remake with my wallset!
I rebuilt mostly all items from DM now, all playable in 'back into the dungeon'

back into the dungeon on Steam
back into the dungeon on Grimrock Nexus

Worth playing^^
Misskarna
Journeyman

Post by Misskarna »

This remake was awesome by comscript, that wass a lot of talent on lua scripting it really did feel like the original!

I have learned a little bit now using the Grimrock editor in regarding to Lua scripting; I am also using your wall set Germanny to make a new DM type dungeon like a completely new layout, not a remake, but I don't know how to script the water metre and the portraits yet though!

@Germmany I will give you full credit in the upload on nexus.

-Karna
Frenchie
Neophyte

Post by Frenchie »

Is it possible to make a video documentary like they did of Indie the Game about you guys? How did DM2000 evolve into EoDM and LoG? Why did you change this int that and what were the major breakthroughs?

Not all the prior files are accessible for Mac users like me.
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

Frenchie wrote:Is it possible to make a video documentary like they did of Indie the Game about you guys?
It's a great idea but being Finns we're not nearly as fluent and relaxed in front of the camera as the guys in the indie game movie :)
Frenchie
Neophyte

Post by Frenchie »

I think some Finnish "Dudes" are very relaxed in front of the camera....
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

@germanny : i have a weird bug playing your "Back into the dungeon". I got the 3 RA keys and reached Firestaff level, fighting against Ogres (they replace Golems). I've activated the Serpent Staff once and now, I have a red aura everytime I move and my two fighters (Leif and Daroou) lose health and energy while my two mages Boris and Gothmog don't. Is it a feature or a bug from Grimrock engine I didn't know or some special behaviour you've implemented ?
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

ok, I just found why : THIRST ! but I've lost the bars on the upper left corner :(
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
germanny
Novice

Post by germanny »

linflas wrote:@germanny : i have a weird bug playing your "Back into the dungeon". I got the 3 RA keys and reached Firestaff level, fighting against Ogres (they replace Golems). I've activated the Serpent Staff once and now, I have a red aura everytime I move and my two fighters (Leif and Daroou) lose health and energy while my two mages Boris and Gothmog don't. Is it a feature or a bug from Grimrock engine I didn't know or some special behaviour you've implemented ?
It was comscript who puzzled and released 'back into the dungeon'
I just made DM wall and item graphics recreation^^

Please ask him at the grimrock nexus:
Back into the dungeon at Grimrock Nexus
He released a new dungeon - Chaos strikes Back!
Comscript´s CSB remake at Grimrock Nexus

BTW:
Finally: Dungeon Master Resource v2.0

Germanny´s Dungeon Master Resource -- Modding resource, now finished wallset with most Dm items recreated and included!
DL: The Dungeon Master Wallset Resource at Grimrock Nexus
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I'm two years late to the party, but now I finally played Grimrock, and I have to say WOW! The graphics are really awesome, and I was quite impressed that the game runs reasonably smooth on my 6 year-old laptop with medium details. However, I had to turn down the graphics in order to open the iron door where you have to prevent the spells hitting the walls.

Gameplay-wise, it reminds me more of Eye of the Beholder than of Dungeon Master for a couple of reasons:
- right click to use weapons
- no damage for bumping into walls
- no imaginary walls
- no injuries
- no water bar, only food
- single-class characters who level up via static XP gain

Not knowing anything about the skill and experience system, I created a party of two fighters, a rogue and a mage and definitely wasted quite a few skill points, but it wasn't too bad.

I really like the level design and am quite impressed by the monster AI. Monsters use side-steps, fake turns, try to surround you and in general move faster than in DM, so I took more damage than in DM. The spiders were particularly nasty and gave me quite a few deaths.

What I didn't really like was the way potions work. It's clunky, tedious, and should you lose the item needed for it, you are screwed. I also think the game could have used quite a few more spells, it's basically just 2 attack and 1 shield spell for each type together with the light and darkness spells. I do like the idea of enchanting arrows with a spell, though I didn't really notice a difference in damage. Some monster weaknesses to specific spells would have been nice too, like the fire guardians taking extra damage from ice spells and so on.

It took me 14:15 hours to finish the game, with 4/7 treasures and 58/71 secrets found, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The first game in years that I really wanted to finish. Still, DM remains the king of dungeon crawlers because of the more complex gameplay elements, especially the magic and experience systems.

I am very impressed how frequented the Grimrock forums are, and how many new dungeons have been released for it. I will definitely try some of them out. It's just too bad that few people seem to have found their way here as a result. But Grimrock somewhat rekindled my passion for dungeon crawlers again; maybe I will eventually do a DSB dungeon after all, who knows.

Anyway, thanks a million to Almost Human for this awesome game! I'm very interested in Grimrock 2, that's for sure.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I had pretty much the same experiences. Really impressed by the gameplay, the atmosphere and the monsters. Potions did not really bother me (maybe because i never really like the crafting options in games, so this did not stand out), but I agree that some more spells would have been welcome. Role on LoG 2. (PS welcome back Trantor!)
ParuNexus
Adept

Post by ParuNexus »

yeah just got the other day, found that DM clone dungeon and been playing tht so far. I'm also looking forward to playing the DM characters and importing them to other dungeons. alittle sad that there is no cleric\priest thou. I wonder how they deal with Level's in importing i should test that, cuase yeah that could totally break it. not that far into it yet, only got 2 char on 2nd lvl(mages). not even sure if fumble is failed casting or not spell. hope LoG2 has tons more spells.
Want to talk about Dungeon master, or shoot the breeze, come check out Dungeon Master Discord(not affiliated with
other DM series sites) @ https://discord.gg/5YzEcPT