Legend of Grimrock

A forum for discussing the modern clone "Legend of Grimrock", by Almost Human.

Moderator: PetriH

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Crash.
Adept

Re: Legend of Grimrock

Post by Crash. »

Okay, so who's converting Grimrock to a Dungeon Master engine game?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Everyone on the LoG forum wants to put DM in Grimrock engine, so it would be interesting to do it the other way around. :) Not quite sure how to handle the final boss, though it's likely possible in DSB.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Everyone on the LoG forum wants to put DM in Grimrock engine, so it would be interesting to do it the other way around. :) Not quite sure how to handle the final boss, though it's likely possible in DSB.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

DSB it is ;) I haven't finished LoG, but was thinking that the levels and puzzles are well designed, and it would be fun to play with the DM system.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Crash. wrote:Okay, so who's converting Grimrock to a Dungeon Master engine game?
Is it even legal? Or, well, it might be legal, but is it fair? I guess you should ask PetriH before making it?
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

If I were to attempt such a thing, it would probably take me years, since I have yet to even finish my RTC graphics project, and have never designed a dungeon of any kind. I've just seen a lot of discussion about trying to make LoG more like DM, and it occurred to me that someone here must be thinking of playing the LoG maps in DM. I wouldn't dream of doing anything with LoG without the blessing of Almost Human.

Cheers
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Oh, sorry, I was misled by your sentence "DSB it is" - I thought you were already working on it. :wink:
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

I don't know the intricacies of each DM system, or what would be required to duplicate the LoG puzzles, but it is my understanding that DSB has advanced scripting features, and that both DSB and LoG use Lua. This together with Gambit's comment made me think DSB would be the most likely candidate.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Thanks for that vid Gambit - I'll try that next time. Hopefully it'll work :).
Lol Raix - that
Spoiler
ogre
did hit me once when I wasn't quite quick enough, and
Spoiler
one-shotted my Fighter (yeah, the guy with the biggest armour and the most hp) for about 78 damage or something - ouch
!
Crash - I agree with you about the timed puzzles. I'd prefer you had even a couple of extra seconds to press buttons, rather than having to be perfect-or-you-get-dumped-down-a-pit. I agree that it's frustrating when you know exactly what needs doing, but your fingers just don't move fast enough to be able to do it :(.

Edit - Btw has anyone seen this?
http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1706
My dad showed it to me last night, briefly.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Almost Human have already got a policy for modding the game in place, as they are working on an editor with basic scripting, etc.

So altering thier base code and distrubuting = no. Making maps will = cool, and they are starting the editor since the 1.1.4 patch.

And the mincecraft thing already done? Scary!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

beowuuf wrote:@Jan: Hey, I can only work with what I'm given. If you guys could flood the fourms with posts maybe I could counter flood with answers :p
Don't poke the bear. Hence the tag "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus", which, you will recall, is usually and somewhat inaccurately translated as "Never tickle a sleeping dragon", or doubtless you would have recalled had you not attended the LSE.
ZalewaPL
Novice

Post by ZalewaPL »

I haven't had any problem with any of the timing puzzles. They all have a pattern and once you learn it you can completely ignore what is happening in the game and just keep pressing the keys. The party movement gives you enough time to prepare for next key press. My father however couldn't complete the timed
Spoiler
pit
puzzle on level
Spoiler
_5_
and I had to solve that for him. I think a puzzle difficulty setting would be good for people who have slower reflexes. Daggerfall had similar thing where you could make the combat extra fast, normal or extra slow.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Matt Chat 146: Legend of Grimrock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVLWuBo4eRY
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

And now Felicia Day just gave Legend of Grimrock a shout out!
raixel
The Dungeon Master Cylinder

Post by raixel »

ZalewaPL wrote: I think a puzzle difficulty setting would be good for people who have slower reflexes. Daggerfall had similar thing where you could make the combat extra fast, normal or extra slow.
God, *yes*. Ive gone off a thousand times about it, so I'm not going to again, but god it.is.so.frustrating. I actually havent played for a bit, cuz of this issue. An option like "easy timed puzzles" that add a few extra seconds would be great, as I noticed the majority of timed puzzles leave *no room* for error. I never had this issue in DM at all, some were tricky, but could be beaten. So far there was 2 Ive come across (admittedly secrets, and not needed to beat the game) that I just couldnt do no matter how hard I tried.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I ended up turning the graphics down for a puzzle yesterday -
Spoiler
the iron door on Level 7, where you have to "catch" the projectile things coming from the three faces
. It still took a few goes even after that but I got it in the end. I'm now just arrived on Level 8. Would have got further than this (probably finished the game, lol) but Minecraft has been continuously getting in the way ;).
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I still don't own it - and will probably need a bit until I can buy it, because I don't like those payment things and better wait until it's available here in Germany, but viewing those trailers and other videos, I have to say that this is an awesome piece of work.
Especially for that fair price. I wish that team the very best, for that they can make their way to even more of those jewels - without having to starve... It's really the first time (except Rasmus' solo works for CSB - which hadn't such a dimension ofc) that I saw an idea being realized better than one could expect. So much projects get stuck and abandoned. Congrats for realizing your dream Petri!
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

If you want to play it now, I'll buy you a copy since I use the payment systems. Send me a PM and we'll figure out the best way. Anyone else need some Grimrock? Cheers
chburbe
Neophyte

Post by chburbe »

I just downloaded it from steam - and just entered level 4...
This is the right feeling - DM is back - or at least the feeling. I hope the edior is just on it's way to the stores!!! The game has an implemented feature for adding new maps - hope hope hope

Thx for this game
Guess what - it's me again
Beat
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you check out their own forums, there is a modding forum where they are giving updates on the status of the editor. It is most definitely on its way, they are working on it now!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

One of the funny things on the LoG forums is the number of people complaining that the game is too hard. Too hard!? FFS! Talk about lazy and whiny gamers, LoG is simple compared to the likes of CSB or Conflux or Tower of Champions.

I don't know if those complaining are mainly younger gamers who are used to modern easy games, but it's been quite revealing reading all those threads. I'm so glad I grew up in a more challenging era of gaming...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I agree - still haven't finished Grimrock (bloody Minecraft, lol), but so far it's relatively simple - no puzzle has given me excess trouble so far (other than timing things being tricky, but in those cases it's not that I don't know what to do, more that it takes me several attempts to actually hit the keys fast enough) and the levels are fairly small. I'm sure I've missed plenty of secrets, since I'm on Level 8 now and I've only got about 38 or so, so just over half of them.
I'd love to see how these whiny people would do against CSB...or even the original DM, muahahaha :twisted:.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

There are plenty of secrets, and I sort of wish that I had kept track of how many secrets I had solved on each level before moving on, since now I have to go back and blindly search for them. There is one gigantic secret that I am glad I figured out
Spoiler
(the vault level)
, since it led to a lot of fun that might have been skipped. I initially had some concerns about difficulty and various design decisions, but after completing the game I can dismiss all of them except for the precision required for some of the timing puzzles (may be attributed to my wireless keyboard/mouse lag), and the control scheme.

My biggest complaint is the right-click to attack, which I simply can't get used to. I wish they offered an old school control scheme such as the one depicted in early screenshots, with character portraits at the top of the screen for inventory, and the attack panel on the lower right, with left click to attack.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I have a tendency to occasionally right-click on the character's portrait rather than their weapon, thereby opening the inventory instead of hitting the monster/opening the rune menu.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Basically, whenever it was an unexpected or challenging battle, I would revert to the 100s or 1000s of hours of left clicking experience I have had in all of the other games, and would disarm my characters in LoG, or switch weapons between each pair without actually attacking. This led to a number of lost battles and frustrating reloads. I truly hope an alternative control scheme is considered.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Although I didn't have too many issues with the right clicking, it does feel a bit unintuitive. I would have preferred a single left click, but adjusted to the right click OK.

Something like Black Crypt or Lands of Lore where you click the champion's face can also be a good way of doing it, but this may have made the UI too large. I know they were keen for the action to fill the screen and the interface to disappear as much as possible.
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Once I finish my secret hunting, while I wait for some more Grimrock, I will have to try some of the titles I have yet to play, principally, some of the Amiga specific or "enhanced" versions such as "Black Crypt", "Knightmare", and "Liberation: Captive II". Every two days my brother asks me when some new Grimrock will be coming out ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I must admit there were one or two puzzles where I checked the forums regarding. One was me being foolish, one was a non-obvious special, and one I'd never have got myself (one of the riddles). Still, perhaps we're just used to puzzle games from the past and oplaying a single game where you brute force, get good, and go onwards.

I too had the occasional left click issue, but I think that is just the old school reflex. Left to manipulate and right click = use on potions, weapons and containers is pretty intuitive for the game itself, and it's not the game's fault we have muscle memory from a different game. The fact that you can't easily close an open inventory without re-clicking on that person (or going for esc) is a little annoying in a fast paced battle. I usally clock twice on the person's portrait who I am about to attack with!
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

The only area where I got stuck for a day, was near Holy Scriptures, because
Spoiler
I clicked on the tapestries, but didn't try to attack them, so nothing happened.
Fortunately I made it through the entire game without consulting hints or forums, but who knows how I will do with some of the secrets. I am quite impressed with the quality of the puzzles, and that they were very well planned and rarely required a trial and error approach which would have become tedious.

Sure, it isn't the game's fault that we have muscle memory, but due to the type of game this is, I hope that an alternate control scheme may be considered for the future so that both methods are available based on user preference. LoG could have been even more enjoyable for the players that I know if this option was present.