Legend of Grimrock 2

A forum for discussing the modern clone "Legend of Grimrock", by Almost Human.

Moderator: PetriH

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Legend of Grimrock 2

Post by linflas »

First screenshot, an outside one !!! :D

http://www.grimrock.net/wp-content/uplo ... _1080p.jpg
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Legend of Grimrock 2

Post by Gambit37 »

Wooooeeeeooo! Very nice :-)

That's another thing I need to learn how to mod and build stuff for. Argh, I need to win the lottery or something! ;-)

(Interestingly, my first reaction was "I wonder how the grid system works in outdoor settings?" -- I think it may feel more restricting than when used for a dark dungeon....)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice! Me like...

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Ha, Gambit, I was wondering along those lines too!
Apprentice

Post by Kenshiro »

If this keep up, Almost Human will make my GOTY every year ;)
PetriH
Ask me about LoG

Post by PetriH »

Guys, if there's something you'd like to see in LoG2 I'm all ears.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Just some thoughts

- An expanded spell system. I was going to say trying to recreate the experimental side of spell casting in DM: like most people I had scribbled notes with all spells that had failed, or worked, or I could not cast yet. But then again nowadays who among us has that kind of time?

- Continuation of world background. I enjoyed the hints of a story and world background (what were those tentacle-wizard things? Where did they come from? Were they a race from before the current ones existed?). Maybe the party could discover some pre-history of the world if they manage to achieve certain targets, but it would not be vital if someone was not interested.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

An idea that just came to my mind : giant enemies ! n-squares long serpent for example.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

A "Bullet Time"-Spell for timed riddles! Please! :)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

linflas wrote:An idea that just came to my mind : giant enemies ! n-squares long serpent for example.
That would be so cool :)
But also hard to do, if they are bigger than one tile their bodies will have to bend in corners.. Well I guess if it is a serpent or something like that one can bend its whole body (the vertices) depending on its location relative to the tile/corner. Otherwise the turn will have to be done by animation, and that would be a lot of animations unless they mix them (that the upper body have one animation and the lower another), and in Grimsrock 1 they didn't mix the animations if I recall correctly...

Anyway...

That would be so cool :P
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

This thing just surrounds you and you cannot pass, so you are forced to split it ... *poff* two heads growing and attacking :D

About puzzles:
Sometimes minimal mathematics can bring lots of confusion. In Drakensang was a pretty fine riddle - I'll describe it with numbers. You got 0 - 0 - 0. Everytime you touch one of those, it raises by one (max. 4, but this doesn't matter).
One shall bring it to 1 - 1 - 1. The evil side effect is: everytime you touch one, the others go down by one (not below zero).
Now try ;) (Hint: 7 moves)
Another one that made me really laugh and also confused me for a while: you have to win a tic-tac-toe-game against a game expert to continue with the quest. Now guess - pretty impossible of course. The solution had to be 'outside' the game.
Spoiler
you had to bribe one spectating npc to disturb the player so that he made a wrong move
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

here is some info on what do players like
about dungeon crawls( grimrock get's in there,
however the other games are all turn based)
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=580555
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Some ideas regarding spell casting:
*A spellbook to keep track of everything you collected so far would be awesome. I found myself dragging a log of scrolls around, since I couldn't remember everything, but also didn't want to get a spoiler from the internet.
*I liked the idea of having to collect runes in RTC. Another idea would be an option to play with randomized spells. Sure there's trial and error to find out all spells again - but people who'd do that simply wouldn't use this option anyways.
*Concerning buffs, some spells like rage or speed would be far more interesting (and less of a hassle) if they were cast on the group instead in bottles. This would also allow to have the caster level a direct influence on the spell effect/duration, enabling a whole new class build (or at least an interesting tradeoff for mages): a supporter. A buff bar would help with that of course (have a look at any MMO for inspirations, I found the buff list Dungeons&Dragons Online usefull and intuitive), otherwise the portraits would be full of icons. :D

About combat:
*I liked the enemies who did surprising things: charge, turn around and swing at the same time, walk sidewards and maybe more. I hope you have some more interesting ideas for that, that makes fights really interesting (and also a lot harder) compared to the good old circle dance. For example a stomping monster with a "melee all" attack or monsters pushing you around (there was this nice fight in DM 2...).
*To make combat more versatile, I hope you can include some active defense like blocking/parrying or debuffing. That was in DM but somehow never worked. In LoG it's sometimes very hard to avoid damage at all and I found few difference between armor and evasion fighters. Surely my defenseless ranged rogue perished even quicker at the front, but for my first row melees the main defense concept was drinking lots of potion.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

That looks beautiful!
Seth
Novice

Post by Seth »

Shut up and take my money :o)

From the video+screenshots it looks like better DM2 (skullkeep anyone?)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Looking very cool :D.
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Yummy!!!
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Less than 1 hour left! :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Indeed, I have it on Steam pre-order, just waiting for it to unlock :-)

This is a pretty nice preview from RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10 ... ck-sequel/
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I played a couple of hours last night. It's excellent and a great step up from the first one. A lot of the UI niggles are fixed and it's much easier to make potions now and also cast spells more quickly.

Even in the brief time I've spent on it I've been on a beach, in a forest, in a temple and in small dungeons. I've also drowned in a river. There have also been some impressive set pieces which make you go "Oooh".

I've a feeling this is going to be huge :-)
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I didn't realise it was out yet! Off to Steam!
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

More impressions please :D
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Yes - it looks great and plays great! The monster AI is improved in so far as the step dance can be harder to do (e.g. some creatures back away if you try to flank them, and many have charge attacks). Playing outside is cool, especially with the day/night cycles.

I have not gotten very far, partly because I missed a really obvious clue and was going around in circles for a bit (and I don't want to look for answers on the internet if possible, trying to do it the old-fashioned way).

Overall, a very impressive beginning. :D
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

oh_brother wrote: (I don't want to look for answers on the internet if possible, trying to do it the old-fashioned way).
:D
Good luck :lol: :D
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

The landscape is huge and the dungeons get longer and longer, I really like it. The riddles are hard nuts and I had to look up more than one of them.

The fights are quite hard, even on normal difficulty. I sometimes had the feeling that I went the wrong way, but after exploring a bit, I found out that was not true. Loot is divided evenly and the difficulty is constant. Once you completed some areas, new monsters show up elsewhere, so the landscape grows partly with you. It's not like the boring auto-levelling other games have, but made quite well.

I'm not sure if the characters are perfectly balanced, at least I felt like I should restart after hitting level 6. My new party at level 8:
Human Barbarian, Fast Learner, Skilled: Heavy Weapons, Armor, Accuracy
Lizardman Rogue, Aggressive, Dextrous: Light Weapons, Critical, Dodge 3
Minotaur Alchemist, Head Hunter, Aggressive: Heavy Weapons, Accury 2 (Reach), Alchemy
Insectoid Wizard, Willpower, Endurance: Fire 5, everything else split around to be able to cast Fireball, Dispell and wield Orbs.

Before, I had a Knight as tank (instead of the Barbarian) and a Fighter in the backrow (instead of the Alchemist), both didn't do too well, the new guys are stronger.
Kenshiro
Apprentice

Post by Kenshiro »

I finished it last night. It's an amazing game, and completely blew my already-high expectations away.

My party was:

Human Battle Mage (one of my two main casters, basically acted as a damage sponge/caster)
Minotaur Barbarian (one of two main damage dealers, kind of low accuracy though)
Ratling Alchemist (became my other main caster later on)
Human Rogue (turned into my most efficient damage dealers, dual wielding daggers at crazy speed from the back row and doing more damage overall than my minotaur with much, much higher accuracy)

This game was fantastic and I'm looking forward to the custom dungeons that will inevitably start showing up before long.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm still not very far as I don't get much spare time: congrats to those who've finished it already!

I'm certainly enjoying the few hours I have played though. One click spells are great :-) And the new use of vertical space makes for some interesting puzzles, although it's a bit weird not being able to climb down ladders after you climbed up them. You can only fall off the edge to get back down which seems like a really clunky design decision... maybe they ran out of dev time.

Anyway, the bigger, taller, spookier environments certainly make me interested in Log2 modding... :-)
isamuu
Journeyman

Post by isamuu »

Is it true you can now use guns and rocket launchers in the game?