Spell Engine (Dungeon Maker)

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Spell System

DM Style (Selectable Symbols)
55%
Bloodwych Style (A book)
18%
A System where you select your spells and can only cast the spells you remebered and you have to spell to learn some new spells?
18%
Other (Add Below)
9%

Total votes: 11

MadMunky
Adept

Spell Engine (Dungeon Maker)

Post by MadMunky »

Anyone help me out here, What do you think is the best type of spell system
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I prefer RTC (DM) style with spells you "learn" via scrolls.

Regards, PitD
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

As much as The DM system is awesome (and original) I dont envision it working in other types of games. I like the Diablo method (learn spells from books and you can use them over and over again) or single shots from scrolls. Just my 2p

MadMunky: On a different note, Ion-Storm from Blitzbasic forums is trying to get hold of Wishbone, are you still in contact with him and if so can you drop me a PM here with how I can get in touch with him that I can pass on. I think Ion wants to ask about some code that he did (possibly on the dungeon maker project).

Thanks,
andy
Regards,

Andy
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I'd prefer a system based on runes and combination of runes, but this system should individually save for each spell (for each character) how often he has been using each power rune itself and each combination rune spells and thus assign levels to every spell of the character (like a skill system), based upon the actual experience the character archieved in play. Of course characters beginning with some wizardly knowledge could already have some base level in some single runes or rume combination spells.
Books and scrolls found in the game should add to those rume or spell skills. Normally they should be usable by every character, but some books could require a certain overall wizard or priest level ot other special treatment or requirement to be readable by a character. There could be scrolls also which are usable only once.
So the success a character has in spellcasting would be calculated from overall wizard/priest level + level of each rune used + level of that rune combination spell used.
I know, sounds a bit complicated and is a bit additional data to store in the savegame, but I think it'd be worth while.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

While I can follow your arguments Lunever I think contrary to classical (non-computer) rpg's I still vote for "as easy as it gets", if possible with an original or even ingenious touch. DM/CSB/RTC has that touch for me - and is still the best, quickest, most user-friendly solution for spells I've seen to this day.

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PitD: On contrary to paper&pen games ??? I think it's exactly the other way round: In a p&p game I want rules to be as easy as possible because I don't want to complicated roll&calculation mechanisms to interfere with the flow of character play and overall atmosphere.
But in a computer based rpg I don't think so: You can run lot's of calculations in the background that would be too complex for a p&p game, but which are easy math for even a very slow machine. After all, not you the player or storyteller are doing them, but the computer without you even noticing them.
Just to be clear: I didn't say that the player should be able to even see those mechanisms. They should work quietly in the background of the program.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Hmm. Matter of personal preference I'd say, I have a bit of an ambiguous approach in that matter. Let me try to clarify:

While in p&p games I agree easy systems from a player point of view are fun I also want originality - for example runes or "alternate" magic systems like the use of colours/sounds/... rather than the "normal" spell approach - so I'm prepared to take some difficulties in handling. But easy-as-possible is an issue, no doubt.

I also agree that in a computer game a lot of the mechanisms can run in the background - but with DM/CSB/RTC I tend towards the opinion that the real beauty of it is that both parts - engine and interface are so simple yet elegant that I'd rather have it that way - this system still works beautifully even after more than 15 years after its invention and I'd hate to see it spoiled by unnecessary background complications.

However, since it's not the original game we're talking about, I'm pretty relaxed. Clones have any rights for changes, so this is just my opinion, no more.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I would say i don't like the spell systems with character remebering , a la D&D

Hmm, there are lots of ways...i say soemthing like runes, etc where you need to a) remembebr stuff yourself as the player, and b) experiment/learn new ones...runes, patterns, words ...
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Creativity is the key word for classical roleplaying I'd say. And thanks for your new rank-text Beo - I'll try to keep that in mind... ;)

Regards, PitD