Dungeon Maker

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MadMunky
Adept

Dungeon Maker

Post by MadMunky »

HI everyone just to let eveyone know that working is continuing on Dungeon Maker I've been working out how we might do the new GUI can same up with some screenshots (All the graphics are ripped from other places like this forum but we dont plan on keeping them, unless we ask for pomission) I just my way of showing the programmer how to lay things out. Any ways let me know what you all think.

Any sugestions?
Anyone wanna help with graphics?

PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I like the graphics but I'd rather see a preview with your own style and imagination that copied + pasted from other sources even if it is a less good quality. The bag in the picture looks a bit strange to me - to new, no wrinkles, overall: "unreal".

Regards, PitD
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

The scroll and the book are ares its just the GUI which isnt which onces we are able to do all the transparency in the game will be changed to are own graphics :)

Also we decided for the spell system we will have both DM and Bloodwych style i.e. you can cast spell simular to DM but you will also have spell book which your be able to note down the spells and cast them from there.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Got you. Just wanted to point out I would prefer an imperfect graphic (even a doodle) to an optimized screenshot that does not look like what you imagine.

Regards, PitD
MadMunky
Adept

MY Items

Post by MadMunky »

I know this is completly off topic but I've only really started using 3d studio or 3d at all come to think of it the last couple of days and wanted to show some of my pics, there all really low poly so that will work in Dungeon Maker.

AXE

Hammer

Sword
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Just made a quick key also :)

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

fairly honoured you'd like to use the images I made.. I should probably send you some that have not been badly jpeg'ed though. I keep planning to do more stuff but it's all a question of time..

like the key BTW.. hammer looks a little odd though.. lacks the sense of reality from it's odd shape...

moo
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

It looks very nice indeed. I hope you will continue developing this.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I'd agree with the hammer. The top part looks more like rubber than iron - I'm at a vocabulary loss here but I'd say it looks too smooth to be real... Maybe just a small crack or darker line of metal would enhance the looks ?

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have a few comments.

I'm confused about your objects -- you've made some 3D items and said that they're low poly, yet the program seems to use sprites. If Dungeon Maker can't use 3D objects, and you'll be rendering them as sprites, there's no reason to go low-ploy -- you can put as much detail in there as you like.

I don't see any reason for the books being semi-transparent; wouldn't it save processing time to leave them opaque?

On the inventory, the 'links' that join the limbs to the body are over-ornate. They look as if they are buttons and do something; I think they should be toned down a bit, as they're not really important

How do the 'Load' figures work? -- you have three which is very confusing

The rest of it looks really good!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

A guess on the "load" figures: amount of items (clothing or in hand) - maximum possible amount of weight - current weight. Although that would make the displayed values greatly exxagerated (600/170).

MadMunky will tell ;)

Regards, PitD
MadMunky
Adept

Q&A

Post by MadMunky »

Q: I'm confused about your objects -- you've made some 3D items and said that they're low poly, yet the program seems to use sprites. If Dungeon Maker can't use 3D objects, and you'll be rendering them as sprites, there's no reason to go low-ploy -- you can put as much detail in there as you like.

A: DM supports both 2D and 3D objects (Pictures or 3DS files) at the moment no one is any good at 3D hence the reason most things are in 2D which we are hoping to change but if it slows down the game too much we will convert to high detailed 2D objects

Q: I don't see any reason for the books being semi-transparent; wouldn't it save processing time to leave them opaque?

A: The reason for this is so you can see any monsters about to attack you, though we might change this

Q: On the inventory, the 'links' that join the limbs to the body are over-ornate. They look as if they are buttons and do something; I think they should be toned down a bit, as they're not really important

A: This will change :)

Q: How do the 'Load' figures work? -- you have three which is very confusing

A: Also going to change.

----------------

Heres another little screenshot for you but its still changing WIP.

Any new comments welcome.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

The picture looks very neat. Personally, I'd limit the use of colours because I prefer the "natural" dungeon style of DM/CSB over the graphical experiments of, for example, Eye of the Beholder - it just never seemed right to me to have carpets on the walls in some deep dungeon levels and I found the colours more distracting than helpful.

The armour looks a bit too small - I'd also suggest to either only show the weapon (no hands if weapon is in them) or reduce the hand size - looks strange to me otherwise (disproportionate).

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, there's one thing that seems strange to me: Isn't that charcter body missing legs?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

No differentiation between legs and feet, true. Maybe it was intended though...

Regards, PitD
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Yeah no knees the same a DM did'nt ever have any :)

The Armor problem is are lack or graphics skill, fell free to post a better picture and we will use it :)
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

A new sword im working on.

Anyone know anythink about skinning in 3D Studio?

MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Well here it is, I can get the blade texture right so this will have to do.

My First Sword

Comments Welcome
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Just started the next sword also.

Before Texture

After Texture

Side View

Any Comments?
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

All looks very nice I have to say.
Don't be scene or herd!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Really, not bad! Go on with this!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

In the last shot (side view) the graphics on the hilt look a bit like done with a rubber towards the lower half. Maybe a little more sharpening would do them good?

Regards, PitD
Tymaul
Novice

Post by Tymaul »

Ive been doing a few things, MadMunky has been helping me with :wink: , just gathered all the things ive done in the past couple of days and put them on a table basically :roll: (1sword, 1 axe, 1 dagger, 3 coins, 3 gems)

http://www.analog-hosting.co.uk/images/Table.jpg
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Dagger's texture looks very nice, coins are best - very "real" look!

Regards, PitD
Tymaul
Novice

Post by Tymaul »

Ty, yea the dagger took a long time. i think it looks a bit odd in the way the texture is mapped but i done the best i could :wink: .

Also, its funny you mention the coins. Ka5pian asked me to fiddle around with them a bit so i did, that was the end result. :)
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Right some new Pictures :)

Maybe the cheese was left out a little too long :)

Nice shiny chest

Look it Open! :)

Now for some Bloodwych Items :)

Trolls Axe

Battle Axe

Death Bringer

Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

These pictures look pretty good. I would just recommend to add spikes to the chest, it looks a bit unnatural now.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Yes, maybe a little too clean and polished for something to be found in a dungeon. Add an occational scratch or dark spot on the shiny metal parts, and it will look even better...

Regards, PitD
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Heres 2 sheilds that i've just done

Long Sheild

Love Sheild

Please add comments on how to improve them, Im not too sure about the love sheild :)
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, the long shield is good (although I'd prefer to call it knight shield so not to confuse it with a kyte shield), but to be honest, the love shield looks too pulp-like for my personal taste.