Dungeon Maker Progress 05/01/04

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Looking good.

If I may suggest though, to add arm bracers to your armour types to make the inventory screen look "complete". Also, the "pick-ups" look very 2d and flat on the floor. Other than that, my first impression of these new screenys is "wow that's nice".
Don't be scene or herd!
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Cheese, water and the moon look excellent, the sun seems a bit to bright to me, weapons still look 2D ("glued" to the floor) and the runes seem strange - will they be intuitive to use? Maybe it's the italics style...

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Looking very good -- I'm very interested in the new water effect -- this could make some interesting puzzles.

I agree that the sun is much too bright -- and you also need to change the shadow on the tree -- the sun is behind it, so the shadow should be in front...

Not sure what the blue glow around those items is, but it should probably be toned down -- seems excessive.

I think my general word of advice would be: don't use visual effects just because you can, or at the very least make them subtle rather than overpowering. You seem to be falling into the trap of eye-candy over practicality.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

maybe you could lower ambient light/gamma for all your scenes except 100 and 105, i'm pretty sure you get a better rendering.
93 : cheese is great, should change the handpointer.
100 & 105 : perfect ambient light, water effect is beautiful, the grass is a bit too much green..
106 : i hope you will remove the glow effect on the objects and put some shadow to get some relief, this is really too flat and shiny.

keep the good work ! :)
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

If think the screenshots lie a little

The Sun Effect: This is only too bright when looking directly at the sun if you move your view slightly up of down it is alot dark, this screenshot shows the playing looking strait at the sun so its not always this bright when you go out side :)

Blue Glow: This to have the wrong idea the blue glow is just the lighting effect from a spell which had just been cast and has nothing to do with the items :)

I agree the items are kind of flat but if anyone can do any better images your more than welcome :)

Runes: Are only looking like this for testing we will add better graphics and the spell system will be explained ingame.

I aggree you can go over the top with effects but I dont think we have yet i think when your playing the game they all work very well and it will be clearer once people are playing the game and not just seeing screenshots.
Tymaul
Novice

Post by Tymaul »

The new screenshots are great, ive started making some more items like freezeboxes ect. which can be added while im making them =D. Overall very nice screenshots.
copperman
Um Master

Just a thought

Post by copperman »

MadMunky wrote:I agree the items are kind of flat but if anyone can do any better images your more than welcome :)
Could you perhaps give the prescise coords for the item's floor location to your modeller to play with ?

edited for typoes, oops. ;)
Don't be scene or herd!