Dungeon Maker - ALPHA1 RELEASE

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tymaul
Novice

Dungeon Maker - ALPHA1 RELEASE

Post by Tymaul »

Dungeon Maker has an alpha release out now ready for playing, bear in mind this is an alpha release tho :D . Please give feedback on the dungeon maker forums and post your FPS when playing this will help us optimize the game and flatten any nasty bugs with it :shock:

http://www.dungeon-maker.com
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Downloading it now, probably won't play until tomorrow though!
Woohoo to a release in whatever form : )
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I can't seem to get the file. :(

Is this just me or is there something wrong with the site??
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

got the file without any probleme.

first test with "dungeon master.dun" : memory violation when going downstairs, turning and going back upstairs.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Played quickly this morning, got that error too
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

That should be pretty easy to fix, any other bugs. Any comments on the game other than that bug :)

Also if people could post bugs in are forum it would help us to keep track and fix them.
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Any other comments?

Anyone played with the editor to try make there own maps?
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Ok see how most people here are all Dungeon Master Fans I've decided to try and remake some more of Dungeon Master in Dungeon Maker.

1. I've fixed the heights of all the Wall Deco's
2. Im adding some of the orignal Dungeon Master Monsters (Screenshot1 , Screenshot2)
3. Im going to try and fully remake 2 levels, including all items/wall decos.

I'll keep you updated as always :)

P.S. Please remember that I am remake a 2D game in a 3D Engine so its not going to be perfect.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hi, I have some comments about the forced one point perspective you're using in Dungeon Maker, but I'll post them on the Dungeon Maker forums.
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Alright..Time to try my hand at map making..

Although I need to figure out how to manually make a ceiling and a floor later.
Meaningless quote:
Words cannot have meaning unless they're given a meaning, words cannot benifit or harm unless they are allowed to.
MadMunky
Adept

Dungeon Maker Alpha 2

Post by MadMunky »

Because its getting towards summer not much work is being done on Dungeon Maker at the moment apart from the odd bug fix but one new feature which is working is Dot3 support :P the same tech which is used in Doom 3 to make the gfx look so nice :)

http://www.dungeon-maker.com/forums/vie ... ?p=293#293

We are still in early testing but it looks like it should work fine.

http://www.dungeon-maker.com/screenshot ... hot132.jpg

http://www.dungeon-maker.com/screenshot ... hot133.jpg

http://www.dungeon-maker.com/screenshot ... hot134.jpg

http://www.dungeon-maker.com/screenshot ... hot135.jpg
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

they are called bump maps..
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Bump maps are just for walls and flat surfaces, dot3 is what i used on 3d objects like the statue.

As far as im aware anyways, could be wrong
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well in a search nearly everything that said dot3 also called it bumpmapping. Which is what we call it in the industry.

the process of the statue if it's the direct X example you sent a while back that is called Normal Mapping.. which is what was used in Doom3

Dot3 is just the "tool" used to do the Bumpmapping or the normal mapping. It uses pixel shader tech to do it with..

moo
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Ok kool then we have normal mapping.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

the only real problem here is that your use of normal mapping is inaccurate. For example the image 134 shows the light source for the bump as being from above yet the light source providing actual light to the surface is below as you see it get's darker as it goes up the wall.

in addition to this all of your examples see plastic looking. The specular is too high on them. there is no dynamic light either so it's more effective in seperating things like walls and floors from eachother rather than making them look more real or adding ambiance.

Lastly, to use normal mapping on walls of this basic nature is overkill. Bumpmapping is fine and would suffice. Bump mapping provides a black and white hight map. Where as normal maps provide XYZ information. the reason for using XYZ info is to get more intricate detail from a surface with regards to it's over all shape. More accurate curves and such. Detail like folds in cloth and such.

Don't get me wrong.. it's cool this support has been added to the engine. Just that there are a few things you guys should consider with the use of it. As well as what else needs to be added to make the whole thing more accurate.

just some food for thought.
moo
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Yeah the light has now been fixed these where early screenshots :) the reason we did normal rather than bump is because of stuff like the statue we wanted people to be able to use the effect on monsters or hi res wall deco.

The lighting ingame needs work and we would really like to get somethink like blade of darkness has which i think would look grate just need to know about speed and how much it will slow the game down.

Anyways thanks for the comments it all helps to know what people think good or bad.

Ill try do some more screenshots soon. (Dont suppose anyone know any places to get and more normal mapped objects like that statue so we can test them ingame)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

MadMunky wrote:The lighting ingame needs work and we would really like to get somethink like blade of darkness has which i think would look grate just need to know about speed and how much it will slow the game down.
ahhhhh blade of darkness ! this is probably the best game i ever played in my 30 years life ! and i'm still playing at it at the moment (gore just rules 8) )
i've never seen that kind of lighting ambiance anywhere else : very realistic, it flickers (synchronously ?) with the particles used in the fire-torch effect ! same thing with some specials objects like the magic red gem stick in the temple of al farum, or the blade of ianna itself, with its white blueish aura !
could do that with the firestaff ? ;)
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Im liking the alpha release so far, good graphics/playability/fun but i thought you were going to make the monsters brand new... as much as i like the skeletons/zombies from Eye Of The Beholder and Dragon/Golem from DM i would love to see some new creations :)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

If you're using the DOT3 operation, then you're using bump maps. Normal maps are reserved for fragment shaders. (Doom 3 makes heavy use of fragment shaders. It also makes use of three textures per surface: diffuse, bump, and specular.)

DOT3 bump-mapping is actually very generic and does not use the same technology as fragment shaders. (Sorry, cows.) It was enabled on TNT2 cards back when the Detonator 2's were released, long before ps1.0 even existed. I remember Fargate was one of the first games to make use of this.

Your shots look okay --- better than DM --- but if you really want to take advantage of high-end hardware, you need to make use of fragment shaders and dynamic lighting. As for stencil shadows (like BoD and Doom 3), the performance hit is directly related to how many light sources you have casting shadows. With one light source, you can do it in one render pass. For each additional light source, that's an extra render pass. You could really choke someone's system if you're not careful.

I'm guessing you've got a lot to learn about hardware and programming before you implement fragment shaders and stencil shadows. I implore you to keep it up. Your project looks very promising.