Games To Remake With Dungeon Maker

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MadMunky
Adept

Games To Remake With Dungeon Maker

Post by MadMunky »

I was thinking seeing EOB and Black crypt in Dungeon Maker looked Pretty Cool So i just wanted some kind of list of DM type games which are playable under XP so I can have a go at ripping the graphics and trying it it Dungeon Maker

List so Far

Bloodwych - Have most graphics only need monsters (In Progress)

Dungeon Master - In Progress (Have all needed graphics)

Dungeon Master 2 -Should'nt be a problem

EOB 1 & 2 - Graphics can be riped from DM Java remakes

DM Java - Should be pretty easy

Black Crypt - Looks promissing and I think Arthur must have some of the graphics so hopefully he could work on this.

Other games which might be worth trying

Knightmere - Does it work on XP anyone know here i can get it and how to run it?

Captive - Same as above

Liberation - Again same as above

Is there any other games anyone would like us to try and remake or know where i can get any graphics which might help remake any of the above it would be most helpfull.

Also game stats would be handy i.e. monsters damage/health etc... if anyone knows any good places for stuff like that would also help make the game more simular to the original
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Stonekeep by Interplay.
Regards,

Andy
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Stonekeep wasnt step based so might be harder but I can try.

Again, Does it run on XP are you able to download it off the net (how old is stonekeep now?)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

What's this obsession with remakes? Can't people do anything original anymore? :? You have a great engine with Dungeon Maker, wouldn't it be better to use it to make something new, exciting and original instead of rehashing these old games to death all the time?

Captive, Knightmare et al all have unique gameplay that you can't fully recreate in Dungeon Maker, so why go to all the effort of 'remaking' them when they are simply going to be inferior versions of the originals? Half the fun of Captive is getting the money, upgrading your droids and playing with all the cool gadgets. Can you do that in Dungeon Maker?

I'm very interested to know what is the motivation behind 'remakes'. Is it just so that you can get smoothed graphics and fancy lighting? Or to add the new features of Dungeon Maker to the older games? I must admit I have great difficulty in understanding the mentality behind remakes, because in my view the amount of time one would spend on them doesn't warrant the final product. Surely it's better to spend that time creating something new and unique, say an entirely new adventure set underwater, or some dungeon with a gameplay twist such as you're the baddie and you have to kill the marauding adventurers (ok, so that was done in Dungeon Keeper, but you get my point)

Updates on the other hand I think are worthwhile. Dungeon Master in Dungeon Maker would be cool if everything is improved -- such as having high res monsters (or 3D), and more detailed textures and improved spells. But simply grabbing the textures from the orginal game and shoving them in a new engine seems completely pointless to me.

I don't want to discourage you if you really do want to pursure remakes; I'm just trying to encourage you to look at being more creative and original.... :D

Anyway, if you really want to do this, I have the CAPS versions of some of the games you mentioned for WinUAE. See my post in the general discussion forums.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Stonekeep is step based but has smooth transitions step based, is DOS only and I dont think it runs in xp, worth a go in Bochs or DOs box.

I have downloaded dungeon maker but havent played with the editor. Also I had difficulty as I managed to walk of the DM map and it went very strange.
Regards,

Andy
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

The main point of the remakes is

1. Just to see what they look like and how close we can get them to the original

2. Gets the maps sorted and gfx then it will be alot easyer if someone decideds they want to do a upgraded version of say Dungeon Master as all the maps / items / gfx are there all they need to do is change the images/textures rather than remake the hole game.

3. The only remake im really interested in is Bloodwych as I still find alot of people have never played it simply because of the graphics so Im going to try do a classic remake and a enhanced remake.

Also as people try remake these old games we can see what feature are missing from Dungeon Maker as we want people to be able to do pretty much what ever they want to do.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

Personally, I'm doing a remake for a learning process.

I've never made a dungeon before with DMJ, or any other game for that matter, and I thought this would help me understand how to put together a good game by going thru the steps of making one.

I'm not all that great at making new graphics, and Black Crypt was (is) a great game on the Amiga. So by using it, it is giving me a very good base to work with and give something new to the DMJ platform.

Hopefully, by making a remake of BC I will get the better understanding of how a great dungeon is put together and possilby expanding the monsters, weapons, etc. for the game in the process.

FYI - I will be adding some sort of "graphics made by Raven Software" as well into the game to give them credit.

Relig
Arthur
Novice

Re: Games To Remake With Dungeon Maker

Post by Arthur »

MadMunky wrote:I was thinking seeing EOB and Black crypt in Dungeon Maker looked Pretty Cool So i just wanted some kind of list of DM type games which are playable under XP so I can have a go at ripping the graphics and trying it it Dungeon Maker

EOB 1 & 2 - Graphics can be riped from DM Java remakes
Lands of lore 1 - the throne of chaos is playable in XP, I have not been able to find a program to rip the graphics with though so a program that can take screenshots in a fullscreen dos window is needed. This one is hard.

Eye of the beholder 3 - it is a trilogy after all.

You can only rip the monsters and doors from the DMjava eob, the guy that made it did not use the walls (atleast in the ones ive seen, there might be others I guess) :? this isnt a problem however since there is several other ways to obtain the wall graphics. The monsters in EOB 1-2 are very ugly when resized :(
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Ive got EOB 1, 2 & 3 at home, played them all not too long ago. Didnt finish the third one for some reason, I think it crashed at a certain point and I couldnt go any further.

:(

Good game tho
Regards,

Andy
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Ya, I have them too, its not been more then 2 weeks since I played through them :) mine didnt crash.
kentaro-k.21
Artisan

how about interaction

Post by kentaro-k.21 »

hi, MadMunky.

i have just a question.
i'm very interested in "how" do you convert or have remake on your Dungeon Maker.
it will be possible that conversion will be done with editor, or you are going to have a tool to import dungeons from another format such as RTC?
i'm just interested in how Dungeon Maker will interact with exisiting resources (for example, dungeons/gfx).