Whats Wrong With Dungeon Maker

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
MadMunky
Adept

Whats Wrong With Dungeon Maker

Post by MadMunky »

As Wishbones hard at work with the next version of Dungeon Maker I thought id ask you guys what you think wrongs with Dungeon Maker or what you think it need to help make it more popular with DM fans.

Any comments welcome as always
shaf
Neophyte

Post by shaf »

My thoughts are Dungeon Maker is still in very early design stages. I check the web site every week but never see any updates.

I like the concept of playing Bloodwych, some documentation concerning keyboard functions would be nice as well as a save function. Would the next release be considered beta?

Cheers

Shaf
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

hi madmunky,

the main problem for me with Dungeon Maker is i never played Bloodwych. in fact, i tried to play the original version into WinUAE and i didn't like it. Dungeon Maker 3D engine is very interesting but i can't stand with the spell system and the gameplay in general.
"Escape from Dragon Mountain" is definitely the closest DM 3D clone, but Dungeon Maker can be a great alternative with a 3D square move.

Maybe you could make 2 versions of Dungeon Maker : one for Bloodwych and one for DM. if you want to be popular with DM fans, make a clone with a true DM gameplay : runes, several actions for weapons, etc.
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

The thing with Dungeon Maker is that its ment to be a Engine for DM/Bloodwych/Dungeon Crawler fans to make there own games. The fact we mention Bloodwych or Dungeon Master is only that i was working on a couple of demo level to demonstrait the possabilits with Dungeon Maker. The next version will be alot more userfriendly with alot more help in the editor and a nice tutorial map which shows you some of the tricks DM can do.

The only real problem we have at the moment is in the gfx department and none of us are gfx artists and we have to make do with what we can find or make, which isnt too good some times.

Anyways hopefully after the next release we might try release some addon packs i.e. a Dungeon Master Pack and Bloodwych Pack.

Hope this help answer some questions and clear up some details.

p.s. im also not to sure how wishbone has done the spell system but he asure's me it will all be explained :p
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I went to the site and saw this:
New Uploads
08/01/2004 - Wishbones Dungeon
07/01/2004 - Conflux Dungeon
I'm surprised to see the Conflux dungeon here... Not that I'm against it. But you should have warned me.
In some old mails I said I was willing to help in the design of some levels, but I didn't understand it this way...
I was rather expecting to have some dungeon builder software in the hands... Anyway I had a 56k connection (and still have) by the time and your demo was too big to download and the discussion stopped there.

So, please, clarify the situation.
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

:) That was just a test i was doing to get a php script to report what was uploaded we dont really have the conflux map on the site and ill remove that post. But it would be cool if you could design some levels, where about are you and ill see if i could post you a copy of the next release on cd if your willing to help
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Glad it's sorted out then.
As for my collaboration, your offer of sending me a CD is generous, but just wait a little more... I'm struggling to get a 1Mb connection.
I'm curious about the editor and the possibilities of the engine, and I need to test all of this to grab the limits of Dungeon Maker, before any commitment.
I'm already on time-consuming projects and I won't have so much free time for 2005 (I'm trying to become a writter).
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

Dmaker basicly needs to get more user-friendly (a gui for adding new walls and monsters would be great). I have no clue how to do launchers, working sounds etc.

Also, it would be nice if more features were added (event squares, the possibility to change visibility of squares using spells and so on, I made posts about features I would like to see on the dmaker forum long ago).

Heck, the best thing one could do is to play through DM, EOB 1-3, Throne of chaos and BC and just take notes on what things arent possible to do with dmaker, then add all the cool stuff (that doesnt take to much effort to add).

Dmaker is still the best editor I have tried as of yet, I am really looking forward to the next version (with save/load). If its just gets more userfriendly and gets a few more features it would be very cool to make a dungeon in it.
Arthur
Novice

Post by Arthur »

MadMunky wrote: The only real problem we have at the moment is in the gfx department and none of us are gfx artists and we have to make do with what we can find or make, which isnt too good some times.
If you could put the "dungeon view" in a window (like in eob), instead of fullscreen, ripped gfx would look much better :) Just ripping all the monsters from EOB and dhack would be like what, 80-100 monsters? Add the ones from DM and BC and thats quite a zoo. 8)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

then add all the cool stuff (that doesnt take to much effort to add).
Generally, an oxymoron.
shaf
Neophyte

Post by shaf »

I looks like the Dungeon Maker site was hacked about a month ago.
Since the site hasn't been repaired the project might have been terminated.
Hopefully I am wrong and the REAL LIFE syndrome got in the way.

Shaf

Quick update - the Site is back up but is being rebuilt from scratch.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

so, what about it? the site is still not working (16 V 2005) !!!!!!!!
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

The game is not dead, the website is quite alot of work and i dont really have much time at the moment but am trying to get something back up and running which is half decent. Wishbone and me are currently spending most of are time in WOW (World of Warcraft) but if people have ideas for the game please post them on are forum and we will try add them. Wishbone has done alot of extra since the last version and we will try package it up and release if soon but we really need someone who can help with gfx so we can make a nice menu/title etc...

Anyways its still in progess and deffently not dead just slow at the moment.