Dungeon Maker Alpha 3 is out!

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Wishbone
Apprentice

Dungeon Maker Alpha 3 is out!

Post by Wishbone »

Download it here.
Go test it out. Make simple dungeons and let me know what you think about it. But please don't get too enthousiastic in dungeon-making. As it's an Alpha version it might be that your dungeon won't work in a future version. Although I will do my best to keep it compatible.
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but link above redirects me to the Dungeon-maker.com and I am instantly redirected to dungeon-maker.com/forums and there can I find no download section.
Wishbone
Apprentice

Post by Wishbone »

I see..
I will ask Munky, he probably messed it up :P
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

OK, I tried it and because I hate registering on every site I would like to post comment on, I will write it here.
First I must say Dungeon Maker is game I always wanted. Dungeon Master based with traditional square movement, but with new, 3D graphics with free look, real shadow, real light sources etc., so really my candidate for best DM-clone.
I started to play Dungeon Master game in Alpha 3 and my comments are:
1. I really dislike low light conditions in the dungeon. It's very dark even with full torch in hand. Maybe it is designed to have similar visibility as in original DM, but in this case I would preffer non-linear light dim
2. I also do not like the light is going off in steps. I understand in original DM it was a must because all light-related stuff was pallete-based, but Dungeon Maker should be able to fade continuously.
3. When I throw something to the closed grate, the item appears BEHIND grate for a moment, but falls IN FRONT of grate. Just graphical bug.
4. I don't feel stupid, but I can't drink from a fountain, even refill waterskin.
5. I am not really familiar with spellcasting system in D-Maker, especially necessity to have spellcasting items like book, wand and cross.
6. Items on the ground are 2D only which looks ugly and some items, like grey keys, are almost invisible on the grey floor. I know something similar was in original DM, but a few pixels of the key visible in 320x200 was much more than the similar number of pixels visible in 1280x1024 with I am using.
7. It is very difficult to find a point of view similar to the original DM. Either I am seeing ceiling and far ahear or I am seeing the ground with items. Maybe some perspective correction would help here.
8. I understand whole project is alpha and I am sure you have this already at TODO list, but better textures and models (especially for fountains, grates) will help a lot. I was although a bit dissapointer seeing blue hase. Instead of beautifull hase made from small blue partiles I found a cube with scaled texture on the surface.
9. Having no actions for the items (weapons), just with default right-mouse-button "use" command makes feeling with lack of variety.

But as it is the alpha stage it looks very good and fascinating how good it can be... Thanks for a good work.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

i just tested this new version and the game is getting better and better, by this i mean performance.
as it is still made in Blitz Basic, i checked the forums i use to go when i was coding B3D too and they talk about a brand new language called Cobra, with excellent 3D perfs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_(pro ... _language)
This is still in beta version but the 3D module you can get only from the author of the language is very close to BB (entities, types, etc.).
Here are some posts with 3D code and demos.
http://www.squeakyduck.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=10.0

For french readers (but code examples are in english), here's the thread taken from Blitz3Dfr forum : http://www.blitz3dfr.com/o2_forum/viewt ... p?tid=2776
zed_duke
Neophyte

Post by zed_duke »

Hi

your clone is very cool and beautiful!!, good graphics , monsters,ect

good job :D
LordGarth
Apprentice

Re: Dungeon Maker Alpha 3 is out!

Post by LordGarth »

Hello,

Is there a link to download Dungeon Maker that actually works.

Want to try the new clone.

Thx,

LordGarth
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Dungeon Maker died many years ago -- this thread is 3.5 years old. Someone on the forum might have the original download if you ask; I'm sorry but I don't have it myself.
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

Hello,

Is there a modern graphic dungeon editor program out there that works.

LordGarth
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Entombed is the closest
LordGarth
Apprentice

Post by LordGarth »

Why does it have such a low frame frate. Is there something I can do on my end to fix that. I have already put the video levels low.

LordGarth
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Please carry on discussing Entombed here: http://dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtop ... 19&t=23582

Admin NOTE: As Dungeon maker is dead, this thread is now locked from further posting.