How should spells work? (Dungeon Maker)

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

How should spells be projected?

Sides
89%
Center
11%

Total votes: 9

MadMunky
Adept

How should spells work? (Dungeon Maker)

Post by MadMunky »

Just wanted to know what people thought about this should the caster have the option to cast spells from the left/right or should they be cast from the middle of the screen?
Wishbone
Apprentice

Re: How should spells work?

Post by Wishbone »

Think it's better to have spells being cast from the side:
1: For example in Dungeon Master, monsters can walk at the sides, and logically then, spells can be cast at the sides too.
2: Spells are just like throwning items, which are also thrown at the sides.
3: Launchers would be better when they can cast 2 fireballs at the same time. One left, one right.
4: It's fun to try to dodge fireballs. In Dungeon Master i once tried to play the game with only one charater, dodging fireballs was one og my hobbies. :)

So, I would say: spells on the sides! (Or did I aready said that?)
MadMunky wrote:Just wanted to know what people thought about this should the caster have the option to cast spells from the left/right or should they be cast from the middle of the screen?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I agree. DM was designed by distinguishing a "party square" into left/right/front/back (see also monster movements) - so the advantages/disadvantages of that system have to apply.

Actually, I think it is one of the fun parts of that game - although you could argue that a fireball cast by a master would hardly miss characters standing on its "wrong" side, but that is part of the game mechanism and logic.

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, best would be to leave casting as it is, except when you trigger casting with the enter key the spell should be casted to that side of the tiles ahead the mouse pointer is directing it at (only if the mouse pointer is in the view window at all). But then, this would of course not be original DM anymore.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Wishbone
Apprentice

Post by Wishbone »

Just to make some things clear: this poll was created by a disagreement of MadMunky and I about my own game (for those who don't know it, it's called Dungeon Maker and can be downloaded at: http://home.deds.nl/~wishbone/index.html ), but what should be the best way of casting spells. Now, all spells are cast at the side, but MadMunky strongly believes the Bloodwychian way of spellcasting (also Eye of the Beholder), in which spells are cast at the center. I think both have their advantages. From the center is easier in gameplay, but from the side is more logical because items are also thrown at the side.
Lunever wrote:Well, best would be to leave casting as it is, except when you trigger casting with the enter key the spell should be casted to that side of the tiles ahead the mouse pointer is directing it at (only if the mouse pointer is in the view window at all). But then, this would of course not be original DM anymore.