Dungeon Master Tribute, a 3D version of the original.

Modern experimental clones programmed by forum member Rasmus.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Re: Dungeon Master Tribute, a 3D version of the original.

Post by Rasmus »

Sophia wrote:
Rasmus wrote:If somebody knows how much poisondamage the poisonbolt does on enemys over time it would be appriciated :)
The same goes for the poisondart.
They don't do any. The damage is done solely on impact.
But now I have added poisondamage over time :S
I don't know if it is wrong to have it, I mean that the poisonbolt poisons the champions, why can't they poison the creatures too?

I would like some opinions on this matter.. Original or new?
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

New video added on the new particlesystem.
The video includes fireball, poisoncloud, poisonbolt and lightningbolt. It also shows burning creatures and that they dust when hitting them.

http://s955.photobucket.com/albums/ae36 ... System.flv
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I'm liking the particles now. You seem to have optimised a fair bit, now it looks like you've got a fair few particles and you weren't getting "fraps lag" (lag because of recording game to video).
I like the lightning bolt, a just goes screaming down that passage! :P

As for monsters getting poisoned, HELL YEAH! I have been trying to achieve the effect in RTC, but it's near on impossible.

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I think your idea with the poisoned monsters is okay, just care that the total damage will not exceed the old type of damage too much.
Then just a question: Did you install the resistance of monsters again certain types of attacks?
That's a lot of work to read that out of the source, but I think the pedia provides a table for that.
Can't remember if it includes the resistance against weapon classes. Can't say much about, all I know is that screamers are pretty sensible against missiles (and ofc the effect of the vorpal blade).
Also there are very special attack types: Not each monster type can be 'confused' - and the 'war cry' is important if you plan to continue with CSB.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thanks Bones, now the worst path is over.. :)

Bit: The creature data is copied from the wikipedia site http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1363.
That site covers alot, after that I had to look in to the source code (from hell) at CSBWin (I am very impressed that Paul manage to translate it into PC code), there I had to look into and debugged the attacks and damage etc to see what varible that goes to what data on the wikisite and how it is calculated. I think I got some kind of hang on it.
I have finished my game and noticed that the difficulty seems alright compered to DM, and that all the skills, hp, mana etc. seems to increased in the right rate.
All the actions has been fixed, except warcry and climb down. The warcry is an easy fix, but I don't think I am going to fix more on this now, and just focusing on releasing the beta..
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I just watched all the videos; you've certainly done a lot of great work on getting this far :-)

Why are the passageways so very narrow? They don't seem wide enough for two characters? I'm also not convinced by the perspective, especially on the character's arm -- when firing a weapon, the arm is too long and narrow?
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thanks gamebit, I have almost forgot. When doing the videos I have to change the resolution to 640 x 480 (4:3), but when I play the game the resolution is set on 16 x 9 becase of my widescreen monitor. I will fix this and input it as an option.

I might also add that the resolution the game is having is depending on the desktops resoulution (confusing? :)). It is because I don't want the game have to reload certain stuff when makeing it inactiv etc. Now you can switch between the game and other programs in now time. It works like this: First I create the backbuffer that is a certian size of the original desktop (as option) 1/1, 4/5, 3/4, 1/2 etc. Then I maximize the window so that it fills the screen and make it look like you are rendering in fullscreen. So infact the game is run in a window but looks like fullscreen. Also, this don't effect the fps rate ;)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

I can ALMOST guarantee that it DOES effect the framerate. Nearly anything runs faster in fullscreen, as drivers & things are designed for fullscreen-apps.
The fact that you're getting the framerate that you are, while rendering the way you do, is actually pretty incredible! If you can, is it possible to make a fullscreen/windowed option, even if it is only effective on launch?

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

No prob, I will insert this option. I was supriced myself about the fps. But as I know it, the drivers doesn't care about if it fullscreen or not because it always render everything to a backbuffer. The only diffrence are when the backbuffer finally gets rendered to the screen.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

But I can image that it requies more graphic memory...
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Although it MAY require more memory, the GPU is specifically optimised (in MOST cases, as I said above) for fullscreen applications, and thus, even though it uses more memory, it actually runs considerably faster.
Also, that shader you're using, I can assume, would prefer to be used fullscreen over a window.
Just remember, you CAN lower the resolution and add the option to up it again... should the performance demands not be too high. A lower resolution also means less work for that shader (and any framebuffers, should you choose to add them... IE: motion blur, CoD4 style explosive shockwaves, etc... in other words, the cool looking eye-candy :P).

Now, all that being said... remember my saying from an earlier post??? "Every cycle is infinately valuable" or words to that effect... your game IS going great, but there is ALWAYS room to optimise more. Right up until the minute that you release this, I really want you to use ANY optimisation method that is humanly possible. I'm really beginning to look forward to this, and I honestly don't want to see a thread full of people (with low-spec PC's) complaining of lag. It's too good for that. It's above it. And I'm personally willing to assist in ANY method possible to help you optimise it, so that it gets the respect it rightfully deserves! I know that one person can only do SO MUCH before becoming "weighed down", and I want to help you "lighten the load".

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

You are right Bones.
That is why I have removed the "fog" and some other stuff that requied alot of cpu. I plan to release a clean beta as in the newest videos. I will also create an alternate shader that only render the simplest for those who have an older computer.

If I knew that you were so interested in my game I would have given you a copy much earlier, that would have helped my work alot. But now I am so close my releasedate as promised that I will only look into the most vital stuff.

In about two days I will borrow a mobile computer that are pretty old and see how the fps turn out.

I have also sent you a mail ;)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I just got a mail from another DM fan, he/she was asking if the game will be availabile on Mac. Now my question for all you DM fans are. How many of you are Mac owners? And how hard is it to export the sourcecode to Mac? Does anyone have any experience on Mac programming?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Two days... he really fights to makes us a christmas present!
Hey Rasmus - you got christmas too!!!
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Well Bit, I really don't, I work from 24 - 27, and after that I have a newyears dinner to organize and cook for 12 of my friends :)

Thats why I feel that I am short of time, and too be honest there is only one thing left to do in DMT for now, and that is to check how it works out on other computer.
Wish me luck ;)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

The DMT homepage are completed with troubleshooting forum and everything, and I now have four members including myself :D
Those of you how want to be annonced the first minut I release the beta are welcome to join ;)
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

Nice work! I've signed up myself. :D

1 death is a tragedy,
- Joseph Stalin

Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

The only thing that I fear - if he releases that and it spreads around - we'll get flooded!!!
Who is the poor one who has to pay for the website and check the traffic? (*hidesandruns*)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Haha, that is just a risk we have to take Bit :)

The resource files for DMT has now been released and are availible for download at the DMT webpage. Note that it might be a good thing to download it before the beta arrives because it is rather large.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

:shock: Hell, that needs a lot of floppies!
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Hehe, how is the download speed?
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

around 175 kb/sec. - that's the max that my system can - so best!

(dunno if you get notified automatically, i just wrote a pm)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Anyone online that have downloaded the resource files and want's a beta testing misson?
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

me rasmus I want to make well beta tester for your clone :)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

post me your email so that I can send you the files :)
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

have cannot download it on your site?
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

One year of hard labor is finally paying of, the first beta is availible for download at the download section :D :D :D
Please be kind to me when reporting the first errors :)
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

congratulation rasmus I have to test your clone, and I find it very well cheer :) :) ;)
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

*sniff* seems i'm out - i still run win98se :(
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Wow ! that IS a Christmas gift :)
The game is very smooth on my hardcore gamer PC, maybe too much. A few suggestions :
- window mode is actually not a window mode, i.e. i have a 1280x960 viewport stretched to fit in 1920x1080. can you handle wide resolutions ?
- option needed to set mouse speed
- bigger area needed to pickobjects on floor
- my first reflex in front of mirror was pressing space instead of clicking (Oblivion habit ?)

Couldn't resist, so i played a couple of minutes with level 0 textures...
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II