Dungeon Master Tribute, a 3D version of the original.

Modern experimental clones programmed by forum member Rasmus.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Roquen
Artisan

Re: Dungeon Master Tribute, a 3D version of the original.

Post by Roquen »

Haven't had time to check out the beta out yet. Just a quick note to make it easier to grab: Compressiong with 7zip (ultra setting) reduces the resource download from 209MB to 136MB.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

First of all I want thank you all for trying out my game :D

Bit:
I'm sorry bit, I don't really know what to do about that, I am running on windows vista and I think the game requies windows xp or higher :( I don't know if anyone here has any suggestions on this problem or if the only chance to make it work is to upgrade your OS..

Raf:
I know ;) You were my first tester :D

Roquen:
This is a good idea, I will compress and upload a new file a soon as posible. Thanks..

Linflas:
I am very glad that it is running smooth, I wanted too release the beta with as little eyecandy as posible so that I know how much I can upgrade the graphic.
I know about the window res, at first I did this streatching thing only because I didn't want fullscreen mode at all, it's alot easyer when you can ALT-TAB it and check maps and everything without any delay.
The space/mouse problem will be unchanged, unless all the betatesters here complains about it..
The rest of your ideas have been posted in my todo list til the next beta on dmt homepage.
And ofcourse, I am only glad that you mix with the graphic, and it looks really good too :D My idea with this game is that you in the end will be able to make new levels/monsters and everything with the help of an editor!
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

First up... great game! 2 thumbs up! However, now comes my criticism:

- The load-time DEFINATELY needs work. DMT runs in-game locked at 63fps solidly, but the loading times are a slight let down :( I personally don't like sitting here waiting for 60-90 seconds, when even Battlefield 1942 loads in about 5-10 seconds! :P

Personal decoration ideas/opinion:
- the "flipped levels" keeps tripping me out, I'd really like you to flip them back the right way.
- corridors need to be a bit wider, but the rounded edges seem to fit.
- the tilt that the keyholes are on, is definately weird... can you have an option to set them flush (in the wall like in the original DM)
- lower the torch sconces/candle holders, they just seem to be up too high.
- torches don't flame when swung.
- scrolls need fixing.
- need to fix the appearance of the "party's arms"... they also need to be lowered.

I think that's my rant for now... :P
Anyways, good work so far. Keep it up! Image

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thank you bones, and here comes my answers ;)

- When you are saying the load time, you mean when you start the game, this is because I don't want any loading inside the game. The creatures and leveltextures are loaded per level. I will fix this with all the dungeon objects too becase later on in the progress I want to create a editor, and then all the dungeonobject will be loaded as objects with mesh and textures. But this will not be fixed until later..
- The flipped levels will have to wait too, only because I will have to create a savegame convertor in the progress.
- I can see what I can do about the wider corridors, the thing is that it will only be a illusionary fix. Because if I make the squares wider, I will also have to make them longer. An alternative fix is to make the player smaller..
- I want more opinions on the keyholes, because personally I don't think they looks weird ;)
- I will take a look on the sconces/candle holders, I know that I have been having some problems with this before.
- Flaming torches will be fixed. This also goes for all the other burning wepons.
- When you say scroll needs fixing, do you mean how they look or when you look in them?
- I will also take a look at the partyarms..

Thank you Bones for all your opinions.. I also want too add that it is important that the opinions get opinions.
Thats why I prefere if all the opinions/problems are writen down at the dmt forum as one opinion per topic, then it will be easier too discuss it.

I will create some topics about the things that need fixing and I hope that all you guys will visit it and help me in my progress :D
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I have added some topics at the DMT page now that I would like everyones opinion on.. Please feel free to add some sugestions you too...
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Congratulations on getting this out, Rasmus! :)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thank you Ian :)

I had a talk to a friend that reached level 2 (where the trolins are), his biggest problem was that the stamina and food decresed to fast.. Have anyone else been experiencing these problems?
Lord_BoNes
Jack of all trades

Post by Lord_BoNes »

By "scrolls need fixing" I mean that they only show the first line of text (I might just be my PC)
Also, where the torches are concerned... they should produce light when swung (like the fireball does). This should also apply to any flaming weapons too.
Where I said "need to fix the appearance of the party's arms" I mean, they're too thin (even when viewed in widescreen) and they seem to move too quickly, they should animate depending on the length of the action (using "swing" with an axe should be quick, while "berserk" should animate at 1/2 to 1/3 of the current speed) the animation should finish right when the action does (can be used again).
The food/water thing REALLY needs to be fixed. Training wizards or priests to a decent level is near on impossible at the moment! I also noticed that stamina sucks more than it should when you regenerate mana. DM steals a little, but DMT sucks the crap out of it!

1 death is a tragedy,
10,000,000 deaths is a statistic.
- Joseph Stalin

Check out my Return to Chaos dungeon launcher
And my Dungeon Master Clone
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

This is good criticism :)
I will see if I can fix everything til the update on monday evening (swedish time)
The stamina problem will certinly get fix until then!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Unfortunately stamina seems to be a really complex thing.
Because I still cannot test, I don't know how fast the values decrease, but I'd say in the original game it wouldn't hurt if the values decrease a little faster. It's almost not necessary to create potions to regenerate stamina. A very high levelled priest isn't that important too I'd say, but wizards should be able to throw a MON fireball in the end. Food is usually not that critical too, water sometimes is.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You mean the original DM game/dungeon? I'd say Stamina was fine, you do need stamina potions right uptil much deeper when a priest is much more important for constant healing and shields, and food/water drain is also fine. The original dungeon is littered with food and fountains, but you notice their lack when you first play - level four is prutal for water and the middle levels can be taxing for food unless you backtrack or have stored enough.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

The new beta will delay another day.. I have myself to blame, I just added parallax mapping and was having too much fun :)
Sorry..
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Beta version 1.1 has arrived..

Parallax mapping added (note that this only is for the two first levels, more will be added later).
Foggy atmosphere added.
A setupprogram for resolutions and texturequality has been created.
More resolution options added.
Food and stamina now decreases as they should.
Turning off the options "Full Lights" now increases the fps.
Bigger area to pickobjects on floor has been fixed.
Option added to set mouse speed.

Havn't found a solution on the win98 problem yet. But I will keep looking, it has something to do with that the VC Express 2008 has a framework that don't support win98..
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

that the VC Express 2008 has a framework that don't support win98..
I found a hint that says there is an option in project->(config?)->linker->optimizing->"optimize for win98" or something. possible?
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I didn't find that option in Visual Studio 2008 :S.. But I will keep looking for a way to fix it.

If anyone has tested the new beta I would like some comments about the new features, so that I know if they need to be configuratet in the next beta. There is no rush, it's soon New Year :) And after that comes the hangover ;)
I will sit down begin working on the new beta on saturday or sunday..

Until then, Happy New Year everybody and thanks for all your support ;)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I have been working on this project non stop in over a year now. As long as there are no major errors in the game I will not continue it for a little while. The reason for this is that I am afraid a will loss my motivation for the game if I do it all at once. But I should be back within a month or so. Anyhow I will check the forum on regular basis, so the more problems/suggestions you will have, the faster I can fix them when I get back to work!

Thank you all for the support that you have given me the last months :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Good luck Rasmus!
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

That's surely well deserved.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

It has been a while since I posted any new messanges about DMT on the forum, the reason for this is that I havn't been working on it since new year. I have alot of school and work to handle in the first place, but I just want you all to know that I havn't given up my programming. Since I uploaded the first beta version I have noticed that at least 2 or 3 persons a day and increasing have been downloading my game and are posting comments about my work. I really appriciate this but just so everybody knows, I don't think I will make any heavy progress on the game before summer. For those of you who would like to help me get a jumpstart could help me with comments and suggestions on how I could improve the game. All textures and objects can also be replaced as all the graphic and object data are open.. My final goal with the game are that everyone will be able to change almost everything in the game by importing dungeons and options from the RTC editor..

Once again I would like to thank you all for the support that you have been given me :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Real life always has a habit of getting in the way of personal projects :)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I know, but I think the biggest problem is that I think more about the stuff I must do than just doing it.. Therefore it is always posible to make time if I planed a little better :D
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

lovely work, and to port to rtc would be interesting
keep your gor coin handy
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

To be fair this clone is more like a modern remake of Ultima Underworld than Dungeon Master. Have you tried the looking glass and ultima underworld fan forums for ideas, play testers, support, etc ? Nice work by the way.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I'm not familiar with Ultima Underworld, but I did look at some screenshoots of it. I can honestly say that I don't know why my clone should be more like that than Dungeon Master.. The only thing would be the design of the dungeons and creatures, but in that case I could compere it with almost every firstperson viewing game there is, like stonekeep, might and magic etc.. Everything you can do in Dungeon Master you can also do in DMT.. But thanks for the "nice work" ;)
DSE
Lo Master

Post by DSE »

just the small point that its a first person game that isnt a flick screen. I didnt mean any offence and I dont mind if you disagree.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

No prob, I didn't get offended ;)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

DMT 1 v1.12 are now released. The only changes made is that it is now compressed down into one file on (98 mb).
And that some bugs that made it imposible to complete the game has been fixed! DMT 1 has the whole original Dungeon Master 1 dungeon and are fully playable from beginning to the end.

Download it here: http://dmtribute.webs.com/dmt1.htm
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

You are advancing so far with this! It looks great, and judging from the screenshots it is 'evolving' more and more into the 1980's game :)

This is a huge effort for just one person, Well done!
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thanks ian :)
But just too be clear if you are mixing up this one with the last progress reports I have made.. This is the DMT 1 topic, and I havn't been working on this since december 2009 :) Just wanted everybody to know that it doesn't have those major bugs that it had before.

What I have been working on the last year are DMT 2 and it is still evolving in the same direction as you can see here http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... 19&t=28772
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Ok ok. So I posted in the wrong thread! :P