Music anyone ?

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Re: Music anyone ?

Post by Trantor »

Giradius wrote:I have tried to get into jazz, people keep telling me how good it is, i keep listening to it, but for some reason it never grabs me.
I never understood what so many people like about Jazz. To me, it usually sounds like several instruments each improvising some stuff on their own without heed of the rest of the ensemble, without structure or a central theme. As with every genre, there are a few exceptions that I like, but all in all, I just don't get it.
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Giradius wrote:Serbian folk music.
I love that! Especially in situ, i.e. when being to former Yugoslavia and listening to the music in the appropriate environment. :P
Trantor wrote:I never understood what so many people like about Jazz.
Jazz is my favourite music. It can sound very modern, and it is one of the most complicated music genres.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Giradius
Apprentice

Post by Giradius »

I love that! Especially in situ, i.e. when being to former Yugoslavia and listening to the music in the appropriate environment.
A friend of mine is serbian, and his family was running a hotel and so they had a big venuw for parties and things.
I got an invite to a couple of these (and i think every Serb living in the city) and when the cheesy 80s party music (agadoo, and the birdy song etc) was finished they played this folk music.
The atmosphere was brilliant, and despite being a non serb (as well as a non dancer) I felt compelled to join the kolo (a dance where everybody holds hands and dances in a circle).

It was brilliant.
HELLO DAVE!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Giradius wrote: I felt compelled to join the kolo (a dance where everybody holds hands and dances in a circle)
LOL, no need to explain this, because "kolo" simply means "a circle" or "a round" or "a wheel" both in Czech and in Serbian languages. :)

I love also the way in which they use Oriental and Turkish motives in their music. I watched a documentary film a few years ago about a Gypsy village down in Macedonia, where they held annual competitions in playing Turkish music from tapes. Each of their local bosses had a huge collection of cassette tapes with Turkish music, and was selecting songs from his tapes and playing them to the jury; everyone who made the jury dance got 10 points and everyone who made them cry got 50 points (or something like that, don't remember exactly). :mrgreen:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Giradius
Apprentice

Post by Giradius »

When I was dancing the kolo that time, somebody ahead of me left the circle just after it had broken people where starting to form a sort of swirl, as I was at the and of the line I was the one directing the line of people.
It was nerve wracking, it was like playing centipede again, I must have been visually worried (or leading evrybody into a huge pile up) because somebody ran in quickly and took the lead from me again.
HELLO DAVE!
Narjhan
Apprentice

Post by Narjhan »

Ok Im quite sure many of you have watched Conan the Barbarian so you'll probably recognize this music :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJxQjvQVAds

For Ameena, here is a mp3 link to a different version:

http://albacarma.free.fr/images/como%20poden.mp3
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm, that is a cool song - well, I liked the YouTube version better. Do you know what the title translates to in English? I know almost sod all Spanish, lol.

Post by Narjhan »

Ermmm well my Spanish is awful so lets try to find someone from Spain or Mexico :D
Duckman
Adept

Post by Duckman »

I usually like swedish-finnish hymns... especially chrismas ones.
I don't post anymore for reasons real-life.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

Ameena wrote:Do you know what the title translates to in English?
It means "how they can". As for the thread itself it seems I have similar tastes to many people here: on my iPod at the moment are David Bowie, The Pixies (possibly my favourite band), The Smiths, Marc Bolan/TRex. Not much chart stuff, last time I was really into chart music was the late ninties (Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, etc.)

Edit: actually that should be "como pueden" if it meant "how they can" because it is irregular...so I don't know what poden means.