Music anyone ?

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

That's probbaly the first time I've seen Marilyn Manson and Steps in the same list.... quite eclectic tastes there, zokathra!

I'll allow you Kylie though... yummy. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heh, I have a friend who would have a similar list... oddly he doens't randomise his full set of mp3s!
bitza
Apprentice

Post by bitza »

just to add my twopenneth. My favourite bands/artists are (in no particular order:

Queen
Bruce Springsten
Celine Dion
Meatloaf
Dido
Evanescence (Sp?)
The Fainting Goats (a less known folk-band. unlikely to be on TOTP any time soon...)
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Anyone got the new Muse album? Bombastic as ever but it has been knocked for being a bit too pop (especially the single Supermassive Black Hole). I think it's a cracker though not as awesome as Absolution.

How about the new one from the King of Glum Rock Thom Yorke? It's Kid A style electronica with vocals to slash your wrists to. I like it though I'm sure lots of people won't.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

All you need is... LOVE... by Martin and Martin?

I think the stereo mix is FAB and the 5.1 is GROOVY!
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Nice to see the Metalheads are out there. Do any of you like music that puts images of fantasy in your head. If so have any of you listened to HAWKWIND. Not many people have heard of e'm God knows why. But LEMMY of MOTORHEAD fame started there,and it was while he was in this band he got his name. Poor git was always skint and kept asking the road crew "Lemmy a quid till friday" or in English "lend me a quid till friday" If your intrested in havin a look at Hawkwind might I suggest albums like IN SEARCH OF SPACE, DOREMI FASOL LATIDO, or if your into the ELRIC novels by Michael Moorcock you got to listen to LIVE CHRONICLES - The chronicles of the black sword. These albums were a constant companion while playing Dungeon Master.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Aha, the elric reference lets me know why I would have heard of them! I knew the name rang a bell... not listened to the album, just knew thye had done an album : )
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Ah a fellow moocok fan. Album was done in 85. it will BLOW YOUR MIND!!! If your into rock, i'd like to know what floats ya boat.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

More into metal... tryign to think what would fit into the 'rock' category but all I can think of is a few oldies like certain AC/DC, The Almighty, Led Zepplin...brain too tired to think right now

Me? Havign a two day audit starting tomorrow...nope, can't be me...
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

modern Metal? not slipnoose... sliptie... slipknot? I'll agree on Slayer, Metallica, Maiden, Zep, AC/DC, but there is so much old stuff which can still stand the test of time. I'm not taking 50's and 60's. mainly 70's and 80's when Metal was born.
And sorry I'm prob one of the oldies. Can't stop rockin I guess.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Funnily never got into iron maiden though i had a friend who did and it was impressive seeing him riff it on the guitar. Same with Black Sabbath (different acquantence). Yes to metallica though, very influencial to me in my teen years.

'Modern' metal is the likes of Nine Inch Nails who are probbaly considered quite old now by today's standards I guess! Korn live are amazing even if their music has gone pretty mediocre

Don't particularly rule out any age of music stuff, even some of the really obvious commerical stuff like Limp Bizkit has it's good songs.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

doesn`t anybody here listens to the brainless music? Disco, italo-dance... etc.
I won`t give an announcement to my favourite net radio here again, because I don`t want Beo to give me a ban ; ) but you can search the forum if you want your brain to get smaller : D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Hawkwind - one of my old faves too. The 70s stuff is the best, especially Space Ritual, Quark Strangeness and Charm, and Warrior at the Edge of Time (which includes the track Opa-Loka, and The Golden Void, this being one of the classic rock lyric inscriptions in my dungeon, and the name of level 10).

Lots of excellent metal around at the moment. My favourite this year is Blood Mountain by Mastodon, closely followed by the special edition of Opeth's Ghost Reveries.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Des you bastard. you found Opa-Loka. well it was only a matter of time till I was found out. Been to any gig's? You'll find I spoke about Moorcock on another post (I was lookin for other bookworms) I wrote about The Black Corridor. Have you read it? (better post reply in the other thread)
The lyrics of Quark, Strangeness and Charm get me every time.

Einstein was not a handsome fellow,
Nobody ever called him Al,
He had a long mustache to pull on it was YELLOW,
I don't believe he ever had a girl.

You just don't get lyrics like that anymore.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I saw Hawkwind live several times in the late 70s and early 80s. The Levitation tour with Tim Blake and Ginger Baker was probably the most impressive, though I have fond memories of the Quark tour in 77 with Calvert and his flying goggles. I was only 14, and it was my first "proper" concert.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

OK. VERY JEALOUS NOW ! ! ! !

I'd loved to have seen Calvert. closest I'd come to seeing him was when I used to go camping with my ex, and Calvert's grave was only a mile away in monkton O/S ramsgate. Was tempted to go, but felt a little nerdish about going. sounds odd but I never really paid too much attention to who played on which album. That was untill I read "The Saga Of Hawkwind" written by Carol Clerk. A first class bio of the band from its humble beginings to almost present day. It was in this book I read about the Cream drummer being on a Hawkwind album. I'd always skimmed Levitation as I usually listened to the more earlyer stuff. But when I actually paid close attention to the drums in Levitation, You can clearly hear a master at work. Strange then that this drummer wanted to KICK the captain out the band.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

OH MY GOD.

DES.

1 Question.

I forgot to ask.

STACIA.

Did you see?

For real I mean?
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Alas no. I'm not *that* old. Your Hawkwind book may well say when she made her last appearance (looks on Google) - August 1975.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Shame. Would have been nice to see e'm......

Hawkwind too.

The first time I saw the Wind was at the 24hr Technicolour Dream at brixton academy in Poss 93 or 94. Since then I've seen e'm almost every year. 30th anniversary was a splendid day....... A Rocktasicly Splendidly Splendid day. seeing Lemmy on stage just blew me away. But I'm a bit of a twat when seein the wind, usually get so plastered on booze and smoke, that all I can normally remember is that I had a great time. But I gave up smoking 2 years ago and now I hardly drink.

Not heard of Mastodon or Opeth, What's the music similar to? I rarely keep up with current trends or fads. I tend to go to boot fairs, (not for bargin meats or stolen goods) but for the old records. I'm not a bastard collector though. (cant stand people who buy records for a pound so they can sell it for 2). I cant really afford to keep buying cd's, at 10-15 quid a time. then find out that "nah it aint for me", I only buy cd's that REALLY float my boat. Last purchase was Wolfmother's debut, and Fall out boy's From under the cork tree. Both on my play list and rockin me on my way to work.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

Love the sound of Mastodon esp Capillarian Crest & Crystal Skull. Both of which are v.similar to the sound of Death's album "Overactive Imagination" The quick changes of tempo and style show this band to have an excellent grasp of musical skill. A v.rare talent.
Couldn't get Opeths music to start buffering. I'll try e'm later.
Opa-Loka
Apprentice

Post by Opa-Loka »

And for anyone who may be wondering who Hawkwind is:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8YvN2KKkjI
There is another version of this on youtube but it was taken fron TOTP2. So you get writing on screen.

Or at a reunion prob the 30th. with Lemmy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SlGH4kmIUc
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Just getting into Nick Cave and the bad seeds, who are a damn good band.

Also check out Venus Hum, they were great on the Blue Man Groups rock complex tour.

http://www.myspace.com/venushum

Peace
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I remember buying Nick Cave's album "Murder Ballads" way back in 1996. It was the best album I heard all year, but somehow, I never really got into their other stuff...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

If you like his style you might like the Australian 'western' he did, called The Proposition with Guy Pearce and Ray Winstone - he was the screenwriter of it, and I think it shows
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I guess I'm quite standing out of the crowd with my selection of music, that would mostly fall under "Prog Rock" or "Symphonic Rock".

I enjoy following bands & artists:

Electric Light Orchestra (1970-1981 albums and the 2001 one)
Alan Parsons' Project
Asia
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Blackmore's Night
Jean Michelle Jarre
Vangelis ( Including Jon & Vangelis)
YES (Only with Jon on the vocals)
Scorpions
Mark Knopler (Dire Straits too)
Chris De Bourgh
The Doors
Pink Floyd (the Waters' years)
Eels
Nick Cave & Bad Seeds
Queen
Weird Al Yankovic

Others include movie & game soundtracks (mostly symphonic), 70s and 80s one-hit-wonders. There's two bands I utterly hate - Metallica and Nirvana, which (at least to me) represent nothing significant, yet are extremely popular everywhere.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Have you tried Poland's prog sensation Riverside?

http://www.myspace.com/riversidepl

Out of Myself and Second Life Syndrome are both superb albums. Dark, atmospheric, emotional, sometimes heavy, sometimes melodic...
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm not entirely sure how Pink Floyd never really figured in my musical influences while growing up. It was only after the Live 8 performance that I was turned on to them.

Recently a friend gave me a large selection of MP3s covering most of their career, so I'm catching up... I can't believe what I have been missing! Wish you Were Here has got to be one of the finest albums I have ever heard. I'm listening to it right now. Awesome stuff.... I think it's time to go through my CD collection and ditch a lot of things I no longer listen to in favour of getting the Pink Floyd back catalogue.

Genius.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wish you were here is a fantastic album for the simple reason it is an album - you can listen to individual songs, but it really is a fantastic 50 odd minutes experience and stream of consciousness

That said, I love 'wish you were here' as a song too :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Afternoon young man -- Have a cigar has just finished and I'm now onto the titular track. hairs are going up on the back of the neck as I type.... :)

Hey, does anyone use http://last.fm -- I've just started. I haven't played enough yet for it's randomised recommendations to completely match my tastes, but it's a pretty cool "personalised radio" site.