Music anyone ?

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Afternoon - I have a stack of DVDs with your name on btw, which makes it stupidly difficult to know what's on them, maybe I should hasve written the programme title

Yeah, my friend uses it very heavily and has discovered some bands he's fallen in love with
Kelly
Artisan

Post by Kelly »

I'd figured I'll see what the latest chit-chat is, and since listenin' to music is somethin' I'm interested in too - well here goes.

I don't have a fav' group or anything, and I don't like anything too "loud".
I prefer more "older" music, easy listening, love songs, soft rock like Roxette, country music like Shania Twain, a few from Chicago, a few from Foreigner, errm, him who sings "Glory of Love" and a few oldies - 60s and 70s.

Also have like a few sung by the Corrs, Celine Dion, Cher - and dare I say a few by Alan Jackson. :lol:
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Oasis, Deep Purple, Hendrix, classical...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I just listened to a live band last night at a local pub. They managed to slaughter "hey Joe" Hendrix, and "the Wall" floyd...

very dissapointing.. They did do a decent radiohead though..
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Hey, does anyone use http://last.fm -- I've just started
Thanks for the suggestion Gambit. My first impressions are good. I usually tire of a station because my tastes change as the day progresses, but with this station I just type in an artist and the genre pops up.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, it's pretty cool -- you can also use it's special software to get it to "learn" your tastes in music, so that future recommendations are more accurate. If anyone's interested in usingit, add me as a friend: username "ppod".
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Done. And I'm going to listen to 'your' music station now...

It's "War!", Fankie Goes to Hollywood. :P :D :lol:

My username is 'ian_scho' for some tedious trancy stuff.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool, I have three friends now! :o

My tastes are very broad as you might notice.... :)
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Yes indeed, the music goes all over the road, so to speak. Do you drink alchol while listening to this stuff? (I rather like the Pink Floyd / Kylie Minogue jumps)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Not necessarily WHILE listening, but sometimes one can feed the other. :D More variety was added today and yet more to come over the next few weeks. I think after about 2-3 months of understanding my tastes, my personalised radio station will be a lot more accurate...
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

.... Or someone with multiple personalities from multiple eras! :P

Seriously though, I tend to love most music when it's live.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Anyone into sharing MP3 mixes?

Here's one I did earlier entitled "From Aliens to Ziltoid" http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H10ML3E8
Christopher
DMwiki contributor

Post by Christopher »

I usually don't listen to music, however I have started listening to music from my favorite FPS game Blood while I play DM. It is especially fitting while playing Conflux since at least three of the monster types are originally from Blood.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

For the second time in 2 years I was at home for New Year's Eve (and very happy about that!), and I caught the now traditional Jool's Jolland Hootenany. Among the performances was this awesome band of harmonica players!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EwEkbFHpLTc
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Wow! I've been playing harmonica for many years (without any significant improvement, and thus being exposed to increasing anger of all family members, neighbors, and coincidental by-passers; the only person loving my playing is our dog) - but THIS is something and a half! I didn't know them before - such a shame! I love it! Thanks, Gambit!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: Music anyone ?

Post by beowuuf »

Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I can't say I'm too surprised, given the health he displayed in recent months or years. It's a tragedy that the man was emotionally wasted by his family from his very early years on. He was certainly very talented, and I occasionally still listen to Thriller and Bad.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

:cry: the King is dead, i was i huge fan..
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Was at my book group last night at a local pub and some screaming woman came up to us about 11:30pm with her mobile phone: "Michael Jackson's dead!" and they changed the telly to Sky News. Caught some of it when I got home too.

As Trantor says, I'm not really surprised at all, he hasn't looked well for years and recently even worse. Upsetting for his family and friends, RIP.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I heard my dad teling my sister about it last night a few minutes after I'd gone to bed. Certainly came as something of a surprise, though I don't know whether he'd been having health problems prior to that as I don't follow these kinds of things.
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I'm not going to cry for him. There are other deaths that are worrying me - there are now heavy local floods in the eastern Czech Republic (north-eastern Moravia), and the death toll has already exceeded 10 (not talking about many animals, especially agricultural, trapped and drowned in stables with no chance to escape :( ), with most of the people drowned at night by the first wave of the flash-floods. Now the water is receding, finally. There are many sad and many heroic stories. Two men (some 50 years old) saved their old mum - and both were drowned then. A farmer climbed on the roof of his flooded house, cut inside with almost no tools and saved his three little sons in the last minute from the flooded first floor. Another farmer was watching his five horses being drowned in stables and he had no chance to help them - he could only watch it.

Sorry for bringing this OT, once again, but... I'm not going to mourn for a pop star.
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I agree, it's a shame that one famous person dying takes away the focus from more serious problems happening around the world. That sounds pretty awful what's happening in Czech Republic Jan, I hope that people are able to do what they can to help. Actually, that's an interesting point to make regarding the other conversation about what it is to be human: generally, only humans will go out of their way to help another in danger or distress. Compassion is rare if completely absent in all other animals.

Re: Michael Jackson: I hope we don't get the collective global grief we saw when Princess Diana died, that was just bizarre... and Farah Fawcett died yesterday too and she was a much more admirable person than Jacko but seems to have been lost in the Jacko noise...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, it's something to keep the newspapers people busy for another few weeks, isn't it, now all that bloody Jade hype seems to have worn out. And it'll be jackson tribute shows and music all over the telly/radio for a while too, I expect.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The man in the mirror was repeated after two hours of play. The man has 40 odd years of work, and the radio couldn't not repeat a song within two hours

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 6087_n.jpg

(i'm still a huge fan but that one made me roll on the floor, sorry if it shocks people)
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

actually, I think we're up to 4 or 5 famous people having died within days of each other. All it really does for me is make me feel older. After all, these people I listened to, or saw on TV/movies when I was young. What makes Micheal so unfortunate and shocking is that he was mid prep for his tour. Not only that, but one half expects him to have a robotic vessle to carry his brain around for the next 100 years. Anyway, my thoughts on him are that he was a distressed individual fighting to stay/appear young and unwilling to accept the responsibilities of his age. He wanted to be a child. Now he's at rest.

As for the rest of the world, civil war, big war, murders, exploitation, natural disasters and the like are an everyday thing. I think there has never been a point in history where no war was being comitted at some location on the earth. The only reason to not hear about its is when no one you may know, might be involved. Ie, your countries soldiers are in no way involved. This is not to say it's not unfortunate.. it is.. it's always a horrible thing to see people killing others en mass. Just as it is to see large numbers of peoples houses destroyed by nothing more than the earth itself. Worse is that it's an enemy without a face and without warning. Just don't expect it to be televised.. we have more than enough "dirty laundry" to fill the tele every day for the rest of our lives right at "home".. Those who dominate the media on a world wide level, will always hit the top of that list. :(

ok, now that I depressed myself.. I'm going back to work :P
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Merry work then! :)
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Heh, anyone knows the guys from Hurra Torpedo? Now I know what to do with our old kitchen junk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUjYAi0WcQ
Giradius
Apprentice

Post by Giradius »

WOW!

I think I have musical sympathies with almost everyone...

Most of what I listen to is industrial, darkwave and Aggrotech (Frontline Assembly, C-drone defect etc), I was quite into Goth music in teens and so i have been known to play the odd Sisters of mercy album.
Still like a lot of metal, ranging from stuff like Metallica to a brilliant Norwegian black metal band called Arcturus.

despite all the generally "alternative" stuff that dominates my music collection, I have some other big favorites, one of which has already been mentioned...Hawkwind, they blew my mind! When i first heard Golden Void on the album Warrior on the edge of time...i almost cried.

I have sort of skirted around the edge of prog rock for years, I have quite gotten into Emerson lake and Palmer lately, and have really enjoyed In the Court of the Crimson king, by King Crimson.
One of my favorite album (since I was a kid) was Jeff Wayne' War of the Worlds, not only is it one of my favorite books, but the album is fantastic (and probably the best adaption of the book ever)

Then in addition to the Goth,industrial, Electronic, Rock, we can now add cheesy stuff like bad 80s (SERIOUSLY BAD STUFF...BLACK LACE etc) I even have a Beegee's album, and synthesiser (Best synthesiser album in my view is Revolutions, by Jarre), There is some classical that i like, but usually the more aggressive sounding stuff (Night on the bare mountain, Montagues & Capulets etc).

Add to that a few miscellaneous odds and sods like Depeche Mode and Serbian folk music, and you have a...quite weird music collection :D

I have tried to get into jazz, people keep telling me how good it is, i keep listening to it, but for some reason it never grabs me.
HELLO DAVE!