Films you should watch, books you should read

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

do not watch Matrix I, (if you didn`t yet). It is not worth of 2 hours. maybe next parts would be better (my brother`s got them all). Especially comparing with that I heard from the reviews.

Right, what we`ve got next... "Snakes on the plane".. hmm, the title is highly promising :D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Let's just say this, Adamo: If you do not like the first Matrix movie, you shouldn't see the others, you really shouldn't. While part 2 was watchable, the third was absolutely terrible in my mind. Oh, and never say that The Matrix is "not worth it" again while I am around. :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Parts of matrix 2 grew on me, but whatever potential you could argue for the matrix film was totally lost in the rest

Actually, funny to hear the commenteries of the films, where thye have let the critics have their say
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

I think a film that should become compulsory viewing for everyone on Earth is Akira.

At the end of it I was left thinking "What the hell just happened!"
for 10 minutes.

First Matrix film was easily the best. The others had great special effects and action scenes, but not much else for me.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I very much agree on Akira, I didn't understand the ending at all when I first saw it, but today, after about 6 or 7 viewings, I think I have a grip on what is going on. Oh, and the manga is excellent, too.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

Let's just say this, Adamo: If you do not like the first Matrix movie, you shouldn't see the others, you really shouldn't.
:evil: You wrote your post too late, Trant :x I watched them, THEN get your advice :evil: I had a hope that next parts will be better, but they were far worse than first !!! :x next time write posts quicker! anyway, thanx for the (late) advice ;)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It's not my fault that you can't wait for 4 minutes... :roll:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LMAO!

Adamo exists in a different time frame where he can watch two films in four minutes!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

sorry Trant, no offence. I didn`t want to be harch. Just being mad that I saw newer parts
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

We've aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall been there!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

In case you have an account at imdb and are interested in my taste of films, here is the list of my rated movies:

http://imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=7764446
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Well Trantor reviewing your film list I'd discuss two things:

Spaceballs - 7/10???!!! It should be 9/10!

And yeah. WC:The Movie was terrible. Unlike the game that was awesome...
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I shall add few more movie titles. Mostly animated ones:

"The Great Mouse Detective" - Disney's most darkest (no counting the horribly censored Black Cauldron) animated feature. I still find it fun to watch after all this years cause it doesn't have that super annoying "No alcohol, no violence, no sexual innuendos" policy enforced by Disney.

Also there's that memorable scene at the end of the film, fighting on top of Big Ben.

"Secret of NIMH" "American Tail" - Don Bluth's animation at it's finest. I must say... other than watching those movies the first contact with Don's animation was "Dragon's Lair" arcade game, which I truly loved. What can I say about those movies, other than
they're simply enchanting animation and story-wise.

"American Pop", "Cool World", "Fritz The Cat", "Wizards", "Heavy Traffic" - Ralph Bashki's animated movies were always controversial. His unique animation style combined with storylines that were often harsh comment on present times, show no age even today. Not much has changed in the music business since American Pop. Nor did we change since "Fritz The Cat". The commentary is amazingly accurate even today. Bashki's movies are always bitter-sweet. They never end "And they lived happily ever after". Maybe that's the magic in them.

There's also "Heavy Metal" but I found that only two skits are reaaaaallllyyy worth watching - The New York one, and B-17 one. Also for extra laughs you can watch the 'trail.' "HANGIN'S TOO GOOD FOR HIM! I SAY WE TEAR HIM INTO ITSY BITSY PIECES!"
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Has anyone seen Guillermo del Torro's new fantasy movie Pan's Labyrinth (El Labarinto del Fauno)?

I just watched the trailer http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457430/trailers and it looks, er, fantastic :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I really wanted to see that and missed it, it looked awesome. Luckily, it's the kind of film that will be re-shown at certain arthouse cinemas, so I anticipate still being able to se it on the big screen sometime...
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Is Hot Fuzz out yet?

If you liked Shaun of the Dead its a must see movie.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Feb 18th! can't wait!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

I just watched "das Leben der anderen" film (I don`t know english title, if any). Thanx God there were polish subtitles ;) First time in my life I`ve watched a movie about secret political police`s terror in communist regime (Stasi in DDR). Even though the film is far too soft and mawkish than reality, it`s still worth to see!
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Joramun
Mon Master

Post by Joramun »

To read :
(A Song of Ice and Fire saga) by George RR Martin :
1/ A Game of Throne(s)
2/ A Clash of Kings
3/ A Storm of Swords
4/ A Feast for Crows
5/ (to come) A Dance with Dragons

This is the best fantasy I've ever read, and I've read A LOT. The plot(s), characters, writing style are awesome. I read the prologue of the first tome and couldn't stop until I had finished the last book. In french it is divided in 12 volumes, and it is also very good. ("Le Trône de Fer").

To watch :
Rome (12 episodes season) - ascencion and downfall of Julius Caesar
Heroes (currently ongoing) - mutants, but with good plot & characters
What Is Your Quest ?
ManFromAnotherPlace
Neophyte

Post by ManFromAnotherPlace »

Trantor wrote:In case you have an account at imdb and are interested in my taste of films, here is the list of my rated movies:

http://imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=7764446
Mine: http://imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=546722 :)

"Das Leben der Anderen" is the best film of 2006, "Pan's Labyrinth" is also highly recommended. Go see it!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well, speaking of good films, I saw Hot Fuzz on Tuesday. It's good, funny and kept me entertained, but it's not GREAT. Still recommended though for anyone who liked Spaced and Shaun of the Dead.

There is a rather disgusting killing in it which took me by surprise. It involves a turret from a church. If you're squeamish, turn away when you see it coming!

And the payoff after setting up Bill Bailey's character is simply fantastic. :D
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Pan's Labyrinth is indeed an amazing piece of work. It's not as heavily fantastical as the trailers would lead you to believe but that's not a bad thing at all. It does what The Devil's backbone did in mixing the truly fantastic with a very real period of social/political events.

Films I've finally gotten round to seeing this week that impressed me a great deal: An Inconvenient Truth, and Children of Men. The former is just engaging and often eye-opening even if you think you know all there is to know about the consequences and history of global warming. the latter is an immensely affecting sci-fi masterpiece with some very, very clever and effective cinematic tricks up its sleeve.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I agree about hot fuzz - not as good as shaun of the dead, but worth a look - it plays it straighter than you would expect at the start, more OTT at the end (though nice chilling bit there) and perhaps doesn't feel as cohesively serving all the genres as shaun did - plus yes, it is unexpectidly gruesom for a comedy film, but then everyone is possibly used o that by now!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I spotted that Woodward's last line is the same last line he said in The Wicker Man! :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

SPOILER

Funny you should metnion that film, it did have some overtones liek that for me!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, very much influenced by it I would say. Plus Point Break too, obviously! And A Fistfull of Dollars. And, oh, lots of others! :) Gosh, we are both up very late!!!

Did you get a trailer for another Pegg movie, "Run, Fatboy, Run"?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes I did...noy as sure about that one at all, might be good for a giggle
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Just watched Pan's Labyrinth on DVD. Loved it. I didn't know it was subtitled but I've always preferred this to dubbing so no problems there. Dunno if anyone has ever done a wartime drama / fairytale "mash-up" before but it certainly worked for me.
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Have you seen The Devil's Backbone? It's more a wartime drama / ghost story mashup, but it's an exceptional film - also by Del Toro.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, I've seen that - we watched it in Media, then they showed it some months later on one of the movie channels on telly so I watched it again 'cause it was alright...kinda "Sixth Sense" scary - not vast amounts of blood and guts and screaming etc, but more kinda suspense-filled.