Dragonlance fans.. this is your OMFG moment!

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Dragonlance fans.. this is your OMFG moment!

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825245/

I think I need to go change my shorts now.. I so hope they don't screw it up!!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

They will screw it up. But I'm not such a big fan of Dragonlance anyway...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ten years ago I might have been bouncing, I think the dragon of summer flame and later 5th age stuff torpedoed the world for me a little

Interesting cast choices! Well the ones I know anyway :D
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

The last D&D movie was so good.... :roll: :P
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

Any news on what kind of animation it's going to be?

I have a bunch of the Dragonlance books, but shamefully I've never gotten round to actually reading any (like a great many books I own).
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, I was just in a comics store buying some figures a couple days ago and came across the graphic novel version of dragons of autumn twilight. The are work was mediochre at best. which worries me that it may be traditional animation and might end up poorly done, like the heavy metal folks did with theirs. Bad design and bad poses, and sloppy animation.. I had thought at first it was live action.. a few of the actors in it are decent .. though with limitless budget.. imagine what they could do..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

a brief search and I came up VERY dissapointed.. as I feared.. the artwork is substandard.. I've seen better 3D come out of student films (no that is not a joke.. I'm very serious and can prove it!) This is an outright disaster.. when are these morons going to throw their money at some talented artists?

Matt Stawicky should be designing the characters. He obviously has a rich background designing the characters appearance on their covers and from his drawings he looks as though he may have an animation background.. he should be on this!!

they look like their from an animated cut scene of a video game from 1998 .. I'm using that to describe the quality level as generously as I can..

http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/movie/ ... y.asp?id=4
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Seriously.
It looks nice and all, but it also looks like the sort of thing that the PS3 can do in realtime nowadays. :)

Or maybe our standards have just gotten distortedly high... :P
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Yeah, the stills look pretty unimpressive. But I'm not that much into eye-candy anyway, so let's hope a decent movie comes out of this.

But I do agree with Sophia that we are all spoilt today. I watched Ratatouille yesterday (it just came out here last Thursday), and though I enjoyed the movie, the effects weren't anything too special anymore. I had to actively remind me how good the animation actually is! It just doesn't seem that special anymore. Good thing that plain grey dungeon walls never seem to get old!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

I guess even if the 3d graphic is mediocre,it will be a better film than the first d&d movie.
?!who knows?Since king kong and the fight in the chasm involving all kinds of giant centipedes , I am positive that things in regard of computer graphics can only improve.
(somehow I found that fight quite awesome, because it was so much ad&d for me)

It is doable(creatures of d&d. spells and so on) , even without very much money I guess, because it is pretty much standard in computer games nowadays.
So, I would say I do not overly much anticipate the movie but could be interesting indeed.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I've known about the DL film for several months now, maybe a year or so, since I happened to be looking up one of the actors for a different reason and saw he was gonna be the voice of Tas...I then thought "omg no...Tas in that voice? Eww, wouldn't suit him and would be an American accent as well...". I love the DL books but I'm really rather worried about how the film's gonna turn out. I dunno if I'd wanna see it, really, since I just know they're gonna get stuff so "wrong"...I wasn't fussed about Eragon (and still haven't seen that film) for the same reason.
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I want to see TAS!
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

If the models are that bad, the animation will be worse. I'd rather see it all hand-drawn . . . assuming I wanted to see it, period, which after the last couple D&D films I specifically don't. (Yes, there was a sequel, released straight to video. I think it was actually better, but that's not saying much.)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

cowsmanaut wrote:they look like their from an animated cut scene of a video game from 1998 .. I'm using that to describe the quality level as generously as I can..

http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/movie/ ... y.asp?id=4
There is no way that's movie quality stuff unless they are going for a cartoon look.

Abysmal.
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Tom Hatfield wrote:If the models are that bad, the animation will be worse. I'd rather see it all hand-drawn . . . assuming I wanted to see it, period, which after the last couple D&D films I specifically don't. (Yes, there was a sequel, released straight to video. I think it was actually better, but that's not saying much.)
Yep, its been featured on the Sci-Fi channles too many times too :/
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I loved the dragonlance series but also had enough after the initial 4 (3?) books.

I tried reading some of the follow-ups but it just didn't come across as good to me.

This movie looks like the origial hobbit cartoon movie and just as bad.

Shame.

It'll end up on the kids movie shelf in the video store and into oblivion.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes, exactly.. It's supposed to be a blend of 2D and 3D animation.. they should have stayed all 2D from the looks of the 3D portion. I'm just so choked because I know I could make some really nice models and I've friends who could have animated them to perfection! the talent is all around.. and yet.. here we are looking at animations done in India for 5cents an hour.. :P

such a shame..
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I liked the original Hobbit. The rotoscoping was spiffy.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

i loved it when I was a kid.. LOTR too.. but when I tried to watch LOTR later.. I fell asleep after about 10 mins or so.. no joke. I have no idea how I sat through the whole thing back then.. the rotoscoping is SOOOO obvious.

Though I do enjoy the new live action ones.. more so the first two movies.. as the final was getting a bit over the top.. Peter Jackson was getting a little too 3D hungry..

I guess I simply can not ignore poor quality these days..
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

I recently downloaded the movie, the animation was horrible. But it stayed true to the book. I'd say if you have some spare time and don't have anything better to do its an 'ok' movie to watch.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

urghh.. i've just watched the trailer on youtube ! it looks like 80's She-Ra or He-Man series ! how ugly :shock:
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

linflas wrote:urghh.. i've just watched the trailer on youtube ! it looks like 80's She-Ra or He-Man series ! how ugly :shock:
Oh its definitely of that caliber, or the old marvel tv shows.
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I found the Dragon Lance movie at a Rogers Video store yesterday so rented it.

Didn't really like it because the graphics wasn't all that good and the story didn't go totally as the book did, but it made me want to re-read the books to refresh my memory.

It won't be on my "got to buy this video" list...
K.I.L.E.R
Neophyte

Post by K.I.L.E.R »

It was only a failure because Uwe Boll didn't direct it and make lots of car chases in the movie. :lol:

Sorry, had to. :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I got it at blockbuster.. it was only just released.. and it was already in the "please buy me for really cheap" pile :P

I started watching it.. and then gave up.. horrid animation, barely tolerable design.. just what I expected.. and then the one thing I hoped would be not bad.. was worse than anything.. bad acting.. now these are not really bad actors.. some of them anyway.. so REALLY BAD directing must be the cause.. They completely missed the boat on some good humour.. ugh.. they should write a book.. "how to destroy a good book in under 1 hour.. :P
Relig
Craftsman

Post by Relig »

I didn't realize Jim Henson was thinking of doing a Dragonlance project but then TSR got bought out by Wizards of the Coast.

See here...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825245/trivia

Now that would of been a great movie/project if Henson would of done it....Shame.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I'm a big dragonlance fan, but this is the 1st i've heard of any sort of DL movie. Judging by the reviews it looks like there's a reason why I never heard of this until now... :roll:
shamblingmound
Neophyte

Post by shamblingmound »

dissapointing that the dragonlance film is so bad. Even the Dungeons and Dragons movie that was released a few years back bit the big one. If only they'd put some real money into making a good D+D movie.
Here! Catch this Magic Missle!