Terminator 4 Confirmed

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Terminator 4 Confirmed

Post by Gambit37 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7266714.stm

I love Christian Bale, but I can't help thinking that this is going to fail bigtime. Probably only because T3 sucked though.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Nah, I think they've got a good john connor, hopefully they can do a good sript too - must look into who is actually writing and directing....
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

When is a sequel to a bad movie ever good? :wink:
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

It's not really a sequel by the sound of it. I think it's a new beginning for the series. It could work.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Found this today, an alternate ending of T2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cig1x3ZOxAU
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, that ending is on the DVD extras I've got. It would have pretty much nailed any sequels involving her (no Sarah Connor Chronicles!) so I'm glad they didn't run with it.

Cool that they end on the same line though: "If a machine can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too."

That's what makes T2 so much more than just an action sci-fi flick.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

See, I think that ending of T2 is good, and would work as the T3 ending.

BBasically, John ends T2 thinking it's all finished, and is not a slacker but thinks destiny is done with him.

But if we don't learn, then eventually we are likely to build another version of skynet in the far future. So T3 could have had a totally new terminator like cyborb, with a totally different agenda, come back from the past. John then relaises, while fighting it, he needs to be active. Because of his knowledge, he nees to actively participate and stop the world from goign that way - to keep fighting the fight, but obviously with words.

You could even seed that a second T101 (800, whatever) was send back by future john connor. HE saw the possibility of a changed future, and the dager that could come, and sent a second terminator back whose primary mission was to stay i nthe background and couteract this sort of thing.

Therefore, you have an autonomous arnie or whoever not answerable to john. Instead of learning what it means to be human, that terminator would have to perhaps learn a different morality, etc

Anyway, that was always my idea for what T3 would be - I had scenes in my head and even started writing it down and everything! :D

And I don't think that ending stops the sarah chronicles, just T3! :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Now THAT is a T3 I would have wanted to see! Fantastic!

Beo, get into the movie business... please!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: Terminator 4 Confirmed

Post by Gambit37 »

Trailer looks OK. I'm not necessarily hopeful the story will be any good though:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/terminatorsalvation/
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

saw the trailer the last time I went to a movie (think it was watchmen) and it looked like it should be interesting at the very least. They have the BSG aspect to it.. where a machine that thinks it's human wants to fight for their side but will it betray them.. wooo

Not orriginal in terms of ideas.. but it's a formula that's worked before so theirs at least that :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

It has Christian Bale in it. It can't be THAT bad. :D
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

what is a BGS aspect?could not find that out via googling.

Since the third part is rather bad, imo Terminator 4 should become a decent movie.
Story seems ok and could be concise. At least it is interesting to see how the machines take over.

Effect vise it will most certainly rock; hopefully it becomes not all too dark.

Cast seems good too.
In a way I am looking forward to it. ..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Battle Star Galactica - machines so human they sympathise with humans.
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

you're a Sylon !! i knew it :shock:
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

ah, now I see. Not too familiar with Battle Star Galactica myself..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yeah, sorry about that.. I had read your post and for whatever reason didn't even realize you were asking me.. it's as if my brain shut of.. it's that time of year I guess :P

I'll certainly watch this movie, I think it has a chance at being worth it.. at the very least just for the visual aspects.. FX etc.. always fun to see where they go with the machines and environments :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Has no one seen this yet? I did so yesterday, and after all the bad reviews, I honestly didn't expect anything - and it was actually a pleasant surprise! Granted, Christian Bale isn't as good as I wanted him to be, and there are some plot holes (especially towards the end), but all in all, I enjoyed it far more than T3. I liked the post-apocalyptic look of the film, and it is the first action movie in years where you can actually SEE the action. The film isn't as dark as the inside of a bear's butt, the shots are longer than 0.3 seconds, and there are no people kicking the camera all the time, unlike in films like Quantum of Solace. There are also lots of nice little references to the former movies, which I always like. It's certainly no all-time classic like the first two movies, but it's a decent action-movie with a cool setting.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

Just leaving the cinema and actually enjoyed it : i like the "grey" filter and Bale is great, but also the guy who played Marcus. Story is classic but still fits well with the 3 previous movies. A good movie, but not as great as Star Trek ! :)
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, you should be excited to know that terminator 5 is in the works and bale has been listed as starring in it.. same director.. So we'll see how it goes :) perhaps they plan to attend to those plot holes in the next one?
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I heard about that Cows, and though I would be more excited about Bale doing another Batman written and directed by Christopher Nolan, I'm still looking forward to it. And linflas - I thought T4 was better than Star Trek. :wink: Though Leonard Nimoy was pure class! :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, then you should know he's slated for the next batman too.

As for better than startrek.. good god man.. either T4 is awesome or you need your head examined ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

See, I didn't find it a bad movie, but I didn't find I connected with it at all. All the nods to the old films were there, there was nothing wrong with it, but I just did't click with it.

What I will say is that, without seeing the alternate script whee John Connor wasn't a part of it, i think CB made the right call to have him included. Otherwise, the resistance leaders would have bee the unsympathetic bad guys in the story, and so Marcus's arc would have been much less interesting. By having a sympathetc opposite you are fllowing, their meeting etc is more interesting and more involved as a plot arc.

Not sure if the original ending I have heard about would ave been more interesting or alienating though...

I disagree, I think Star Trek was handled much better! Still, the next Star Trek could be dire, whereas the next Terminator film could be fantastic
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I finally saw T4! Yes, I'm a bit late with this one. It's an average action movie, but like Beo I just didn't connect with it at all. Bale as Connor was awful, didn't resonate at all and I didn't care about him or any of the resistance. The film simply has no emotional heart to it: the human plight is right there on screen, but there's just no emotion behind it. Even in the "emotional" speeches about what humanity are fighting for, it's completely flat and unconvincing. T1 and T2 were much more believable in that sense and are much better films because of it.

I don't know anything about this McG director person, but he seems to be another George Lucas -- hung up on spectacle and unable to wrangle a decent, engaging, convincing human performance from any of his cast. And the bulk of the action sequences were just visual upgrades of scenes we've seen in all the other movies. The final showdown is just a variation of the T2 showdown. CGI Arnie was funny though. For a few seconds.

Disappointing.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Will someone tell me what is up with all the ridiculously loud death robots and jet-powered craft that no one except the mute little girl hears until they're literally crashing through the walls? Next director, please.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, not a McG fan then? And nice to see you still around!