New Doctor Who

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: New Doctor Who

Post by beowuuf »

The very first thing you se of adult Amy is her leg, so she's obviously in a really short skirt/shorts. So it's not a case of 'where did that come from' when she says what her job is, it's a case of 'oooooh, duh'

There are one or two other little bits like that, where you see something or someone says something, and it pays off a few moments later so it's not totally pulled out of nowhere. Forget what they are, but I plan on rewatchign the show, so if I see them again I'll post
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, right, I thought you were implying something far more subtle!

I've downloaded an XVID of it already. Man, those guys are fast!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Opps, not commented on the last two episodes!

General storylines - fine, about standard doctor who fare. The spitfires in space, etc might have been a tad over the top, but hey.

Theme music - I like it now. First couple of times I thought it was trying too hard, but I think the series seems to be earning that big theme, plus I think it was just the shock of it being different. Because of that, I have every confidence that my initial 'huh' reaction to the new daleks will go away. I think many things (how david tennant played the doctor very big in the first children in need he appeared in, and like the theme tune - drastic change is offputting, then you just get used to it)

Matt smith - hit the ground running in the first episode, and seems to have corried on so far. He's been given some grewat gags, and he's been given some great dramatic bits too (smashing daleks with a wrench, or the 'no human gets to talk to me today' bit from last week)

The doctor in general - I like how he's being written. He thinks on his feet, and always tries to do something, but isn't infaliable. However, twince now his saving grace has been his companion. And it's not been in a forced way. Last week, the doctor's words allowed amy to see the one thing the doctor couldn't (since she gets to see him, and he doens't see himself). And this week, it was a little tweak of the doctor's own good tactic, as she understood humanity a little more. Plus, she's a little more open and honest with her heart (tellingly, the doctor focused on the pain of loss)

Amy - she's got some nice beats to her character (the forget button last week aswell as the the end part of that story). Bit leery of the hinted 'another companion fancying the doctor' bit, but hey ho. Well played by karen, but of course i'd root for the scot :D

Anyway, definitely looking forward to the two parter next week, except for one small part - the two parter ness of it :( Eerything else I have high hopes for!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oh, another thing about Karen - I love how she delivers a line.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

The theme music is poor, but everything else is just fine. Good storylines and Matt Smith is a duck to water Doctor :-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

beowuuf wrote:Oh, another thing about Karen - I love how she delivers a line.
I just love her generally. Great hair.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Apparently, we're only a few weeks (as opposed to years) behind over here-- I just saw the episode with the Starship UK and next week's is the one with Churchill and the Daleks.

My thoughts are generally in line with everyone else's, though I'm not so sure about Matt Smith. I liked David Tennant enough that this may just be bias and not wanting to change, though, so I'll give the new guy a chance. I like Amy/Karen well enough, too.

I don't like the new theme music that much either. :P
beowuuf wrote:The very first thing you se of adult Amy is her leg, so she's obviously in a really short skirt/shorts. So it's not a case of 'where did that come from' when she says what her job is, it's a case of 'oooooh, duh'
It was a surprise to me because I thought that was just how you people dressed your policewomen over there. :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Only if you pay for it. And I suspect they aren't real police women :D

And yeah, it's cool that you guys seem to be pretty close to us.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, nice to not have to much lag - "The Beast Below" was episode two, daleks is episode three - over here we just had episode four on yesterday.
I don't mind the new theme music so much - I wasn't so sure at first but I've sort of got used to it. Same as the last time they changed it.
I think it's all been good so far :D.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm a bit concerned they're overusing the 'doctor is a cool doctor' music, then again each scene it's been used in sorta warrants it. I just hope for a few 'normal' episodes like beast below without iconic bits so the ultimate doctor moments get to land.

Though the damn music is in my head constantly right now!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh my goodness, Amy is a bit of a sauce pot!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

10 episodes down, three to go, and I have to say that it's got steadily worse each episode. Something just isn't working between Doc and Amy. She's being seriously underused and only seems to have three expressions: very smiley, very scared or just stary. Shame, the first episode had a great setup, but the series has not yielded anything impressive thus far.

The episode just gone, with van Gogh, was simply ludicrous: "That accent. You're from Holland like me?" -- ok, there's a fine line between suspension of disbelief and downright dumbness and that crossed it!

River Song's shoes were incredibly sexy though; and that dress! I guess it's not all terrible. :)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I was rather surprised to find we're on episode ten already - somehow it just doesn't feel like we've had that many. Which means only three more episodes (well, provided this series as the same length as the previous ones - I haven't checked or anything) before the end of Eleven's first series already!
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, just three left. And to be honest, I'm not that bothered. Maybe I've finally grown up :-(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I didn't watch last night's one on very solid principle: it had football in it, but worse still, James fecking Corden.

I am also a bit jealous: I did the whole Facebook friends thing with a bloke I met while doing Jury Service earlier this year (don't ask!) Anyway, he's a bit of a debonair about town, going to lots of swanky parties. He's just changed his Facebook profile pic to one of him and Karen Gillan at some London do. The git!
Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

Ah, some DW fans here I see. I'm generally happy with the new series and I think there's some potential for a very unique ending to this season. Obviously something very bad is going to happen, maybe some horrible time paradox that causes the TARDIS to blow up. One idea I've really liked is the future-past relationship between the Doctor and River Song. Hopefully she will be a companion some day for him.
Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

Oh one more thing, I'm a Karen Gillian fan too. After seeing this video of some of her previous work, I realize she can have a real fowl mouth... which makes me like her even more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_cahQdr9So
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Well that's bizarre: I can't view that video, YouTube says it's blocked by Channel 4 for copyright reasons as I'm not in the right country!!!

I relented and watched last night's episode. Still crap, though the next episode looks better.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Will watch the latest one soon, I'm still enjoying the series. I agree maybe not enough is being done with Amy, but she still has a few beats. It's also tempting to look back at the first RTD series and see the straucture, pace and events of the episodes is similar. Aside from the father episode that showed why Rose wanted togo with the doctor (perhaps), Rose in series one didn't really have a big story beats. Amy has had far more, infact!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I had a really weird dream last night - that the Pandorica contained (as I phrased it in the dream, I think) "all the extras". Or maybe it was "all the extras who died". That is, all the various people and creatures and things whose only screen time in an episode is to be eaten/shot/squished (etc) by whatever the current threat is, before the Doctor sorts it out. So all these extras were angry with the Doctor and wanted to kill him, or something. And (in the dream) there was a line River Song had said when speaking of the Pandorica, something along the lines of "The Doctor has more reason than most to be afraid of it", or something - meaning that so many people have died when he's around that more of the extras will hate him or something.
Weird!
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Brilliant! I'd watch that! :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That would indeed have been cool!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

It'd be like all the Redshirts from the original Star Trek coming back and trying to kill Captain Kirk, or something...
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Next weekend can't come fast enough :(
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Woooo...when they were looking at the Pandorica, and the Doctor was explaining how it was supposed to house "the most feared being in the Universe" (or words to that effect), I did wonder whether said being would be
Spoiler
the Doctor
, but then wondered
Spoiler
"if it is the Doctor, and he's already in there, how's it gonna work when he gets out and meets himself..."
. The big reveal at the end
Spoiler
(ie that all the bad guys, even the Daleks, have ganged up to work against him)
was unexpected yet cool. One can only wonder wtf is gonna happen next, lol.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, like you I expected either
Spoiler
the doctor, in some incarnation
or at the start I even wondered if it might be
Spoiler
amy [and let's have some misleading spoiler spacing words here too]
in there. So yeah, it was both expected and yet completely unexpected how that turned out. It's certainly set up a great cliffhanger, I'm crossing everything to hope it pays off.
Mac Addict
Apprentice

Post by Mac Addict »

Dammit, several more hours until my download of the episode is complete! Sounds like it was a good build-up to the finally.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I imagine that,
Spoiler
having done what they set out to do, the alliance will follow what happens in DragonLance - "Evil turns upon itself", and having dealt with the Doctor they'll probably all end up just turning on each other and having a big punch-up over the remainder of the Universe (such as it is). I have a feeling the Rory-Auton might be the one to save the day (mainly since he seems to be about the only good guy left)...whether the real Rory will ever be able to come back is another matter.
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I had a thought last night, which I couldn't (be arsed to get up and) verify 'cause I'd just gone to bed (typical), which no-one's mentioned yet - it seems the show's producers knew the due dates of broadcast when they were making the show - check out this Saturday's date ;).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yep, airing schedules for this kind of show are known well in advance of production so it's easy to tie stories into real dates.