perfume.. story of a writer who does too much drugs..

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

perfume.. story of a writer who does too much drugs..

Post by cowsmanaut »

just watched Perfume Story of a murderer today.. I'd remembered seeing and wondering about the trailer. Seemed a bit creepy and it had potential.

Since Sandie seems to enjoy spooky movies from time to time, I'd thought I'd give it a try.

if you are bound and determined to watch this movie and do not want it spoiled.. for you stop reading now..

seriously.. right now.. because I ended up hating it and I'm going to say why.. so stop... now... ahem... ok..

We were totally rivited for the first part of it. It has good music, cinematics, acting is good. Has a bit of a quirky creepy nature that sells itself well.. however... once you get to the point of resolution.. where you feel everything is going to come to an explainable and understandable ending... they instead make a bizzarre left turn involving a mass orgy.. seemingly out of nowhere.. all suspension of disbelief is tossed out the window and you are left wondering if you are indeed watching the same movie.. all I could think is that I had been ripped off. How could a good movie take such a bad turn.. just at the end?? It's got actors in it I respect and think of as having made a number of good choices even in those lower budget movies they've done.. yet this would be seen as a stain on my career if I were them..

just bothers me that a group can do such a great job and then ultimately fail in the most plain and obvious way possible.. staggers the mind..

end of rant..
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Re: perfume.. story of a writer who does too much drugs..

Post by Jan »

I watched it with my girlfriend a few years ago (in 2007 I think), she wanted to see it, I didn't, and I survived only thanks to the 3 or 4 beers I'd had before. It was OK, only the sound in the cinema was too loud, still waking me up... :wink:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I don't quite get what you are saying here Cows. I think the whole ending was absolutely in touch with the rest of the movie, and it fitted it well. I think it's an OK movie from start to finish with good camerawork and nice cinematography, though the plot itself didn't quite grasp me. I was told that, as usual, the book is infinite times better, though.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

The book is better but not that good either. Anyway, the orgy was the logic achievement of the murderer, the result of the absolute perfume. In fact I found it to be one of the few really interesting ideas of the plot.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I understand that the concept was laid down by the dustin hoffman character.. ancient pharaoh being able to make people feel as though they were in absolute bliss. However, there was very little set up to it, just a little "legend" with a tiny moment where a drop of the womans essence attracts a dog and the man being nicer to him. No intelligent reasoning for why that should work, it's not as if the men acted that way specifically to those women. Nothing to indicate that their person was more special than any other woman. Or is it simply that you could combine any 13 people? and shouldn't it be that should all 13 women in the same room would cause such a thing?

to me everything in the plot fell apart at that moment. It went to strange but almost believable.. to totally odd leaving me felt ripped off. Sandie and I just litterally looked at eachother and were completely confused. It's not to say I would care about an orgy in a film.. it's not the sudden involvement of sex on grand scale .. it's that it was in no way justified, set up or otherwise expected or acceptable via the course of the story. It then leads to them eating him?? what is it now.. seasoning?