Inglourious Basterds

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Inglourious Basterds

Post by Trantor »

Yesterday evening, I saw Tarantino's latest film. I'm not a Tarantino fanatic, but do like some of his work, especially Kill Bill. Inglourious Basterds is a weird film, even for Tarantino, but as usual, it is full of memorable characters, interesting dialogue, cool scenes and actors who fit their role. For me, it was especially interesting to see so many German actors alongside people like Brad Pitt. It's funny, violent, shocking, verbose, historically inaccurate, and full of hommages to films of the 20s,30s and to Spaghetti Westerns. If that sounds like your kind of fim and you don't mind a running time of more than 2.5 hours, you will probably enjoy it. I sure did.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Re: Inglourious Basterds

Post by oh_brother »

Yes, I agree that it was a good film. Although I would say that it is one of those films that gains very little from being on the big screen - unless you are in a hurry to see it you could wait until the dvd.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

just curious :what about the music -good/ bad ?
normally it is a good sign if you do not "remember" the music when watching a movie.
Tarantino Films had most of the time or always some pretty decent music scores.
oh_brother
Son of Heaven

Post by oh_brother »

I don't remember much about it. Strange now you mention it - like everyone else on the planet I thought the music for Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction was great, also Dusk to Dawn was pretty special. The only thing I noticed was that the cinema I was in the volume very louder than usual, and it grated a bit when the on-screen action was at its peak. Either that or I am getting old.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I actually noticed the music very much. The soundtrack doesn't have quite as many surprises as other Tarantino movies, and it has even more Morricone in it than the others (which is a good thing for me). I liked the soundtrack a lot.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I wrote my thoughts elsewhere, forgot to post here.

Inglorious Basterds is a different, good film from QT but feels like two films jammed together. Part of that is because it's taken him so long to write it that he basically added another film to it (the theatre stuff) and part of that is because he actually had no interest in doing the boring action film that I personally thought it would be.

A friend of mine said the film either has too much or too little Basterds in it, and I would agree. The film is a great melding of different stories, and really the Basterds are only one part. I would have prefered a 10 - 20 minute 'forming of the Basterds' short film released first as a teaser to the main film to be honest. Then the basterds would have been the significant cameo that they should have been. And if he ever figured out a way to expand that 'making of' short into a full IB film in a way interesting to him, he could have done it.

Anyway, that aside, this is a different feeling film and a good film. Quentin's always been one for the snappy dialogue and the quirky set ups. In this film, he uses his abiltiy to create interesting, watchable charatcers but actually only focuses on them for means of the plot. They exist in the scenes that need to be filmed, not the scenes that are fun asides. Despite this, despite the lack of quotable dialogue, the characters pop even as they engage in more mundane sparring. The initial scene of the farmer and the officer, or the build up in the bar, are not going to go down as fun quirky asides. However, they are compelling scenes and allow the characters to be interesting and develop without them having to entertain you.

Obviously this is a QT film, there are some fun scenes of over the top violence and over the top character moments aswell. Definitely worth going to see, but it won't be the film you were expecting, and certainly it will leave you a little ambivalent about whether the basterds should have been in it more or less!
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Are you using "schizophrenic" in the sense that the film has "multiple personalities"? It's a common misconception that schizophrenic means "multiple personality". It doesn't, and it annoys me no end when I see it used incorrectly, particularly as my mother suffers from it and her illness practically destroyed our family. Please use the term "multiple personality" if that's what you mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophre ... conditions
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

So amended, I never realised the condition was mis-used so readily.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool. I have educated someone today :)
Roquen
Artisan

Post by Roquen »

I am a pretty big fan of QT (esp. Resevoir Dogs) and found this film way too mainstream for my tastes. I probably would have enjoyed it better if it was another director and had not viewed it with certain expectations. The intro scene was pretty damn good. It was cool that it isn't all in English and to show people that reading subtitles is MUCH better than stupid dubbing (well, unless it a low-buget kung-fu film of-course...bad broken-english dubbing is part of the appeal)
MitchB1990
Artisan

Post by MitchB1990 »

Gambit37 wrote:Cool. I have educated someone today :)
Two someones, I never knew that. Very interesting side note though. now back onto topic, I plan on not seeing this in theaters because really everyone went and saw it already so I'll just wait till it hits shelves in DVD form or if I can snag and advanced copy on the torrents.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. Joined 27 Feb 2005 as Dark.